New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1495
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: IC II Toes In The Water

"Not as good as I am. I could get that rope across- it would be easy for Shiny Spiderlimbs, rock climber and limbo champion."
    Thanks to CoffeeIncluded for the avatar of Shiny, from the Eldgar campaign:

IC V Against the Current IC VI Stormy Seas.

Current Map

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Colossus in the Playground

Natalia frowns. "Not like you, strength in fingers, not arms." She looks at the rope. "But tie here, swing or slide down, then...Tug loose? Don't leave, like..." She trails off; her wrist feels somewhat naked without the copper wire, and she doesn't know when they'll get it back.

"Check this cave later, see...sprung traps? Retrieve...Crossbow, wire, check spider and snake?"
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-11-24 at 04:31 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Firbolg in the Playground

"We are about to span a split in the earth while planning to stir a hornets nest, and you are worried about a bobble?" Valen notices her want to return here.

4. - Top - End - #1204

Natalia looks at the ground, then back up at Valen. "Gift from Mithril, gift from teachers--Torin and Karik. Mean...Mean a lot to me. Come back later...I know that. But later, not never? Can...Check the snake too..."

5. - Top - End - #1205

"No one can stop you from retrieving such things, we do have priorities and it may be foolish to return if this danger is not eliminated.". Valen doesn't understand her attachment to such simple things as bits of metal and a worn crossbow.

Looking to Mithril, "Will you attempt to move the rope? Either way, we will need conjured light to succeed."

6. - Top - End - #1206

"I would attempt to move it, if I had the power. I did not think to prepare that spell this morning, and as is such have no access to it. I know the route of it, but the power will not form."
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

7. - Top - End - #1207

Valen, nodding his head, "I may have limited access, but it is at my call whenever I need. I never forget. If you lend me your implement and create light, I will transport the rope over."

Looking to the young, "Little One, please make a noose that you'll trust your life to."

8. - Top - End - #1208

"Then return when safe. But returning," Natalia insists.

With a nod, she takes her silk rope and fastens it to the nearest study stone object, like the feet of the bed if they're close by, making sure to tie it tightly, but in a way she can undo it without much trouble. So many ways to cast spells...Maybe she can find her own way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 20 for 30 on Use Rope. That's not coming lose easily. Tying a special knot, like one that will come loose when pulled from a safety catch and tugged from a certain angle is DC 15
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-11-25 at 01:16 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Troll in the Playground

furious Re: IC II Toes In The Water

Shiny makes an indignant grumble. "I told you I can climb it, and no one seems to care! It's almost as though you don't believe me."

He steps over to the cave wall, reaches out his hands, and steps up. To everyone's surprise, he sticks right to the wall without falling. A moment later he skitters 20 feet around thr, just as fast as he would walk horizontally. His limbs seem to twist strangely as he goes.

He twists his head around to look at the party."See?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Had cast spider climb when no one was looking. The surprise was so important to him that he used up one of the rod's silent spells to do it without anyone noticing.

Current Map

10. - Top - End - #1210

Valen, is caught by surprise as Shiny makes a boast and simply walks to the wall and sticks to it without any difficulty, easily traversing the gap along the walls, a feat even the most skilled climber would have had difficulty with. Valen offers a quiet compliment, "Well played, you are not a liar, but a teller of halftruths."

It takes only a few breaths before Shiny is able to cross the gap with the rope Natalia had prepared. As Shiny moves to loop it around a sharp jutting rock, Kurt coughs, and motions Shiny over to a large boulder. Once the rope is in place it only takes a swift pull to tighten the rope.

Valen pulls the rope tight, letting Natalia knot it in such a way as she could retrieve the rope.

"Your eyes and axe are needed their first." Valen states to Kurt.

Spoiler
    Show
    DC10 Climb check required, you can take 10. Kurt makes it, less than gracefully without taking off his armor.
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-11-25 at 12:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt can't help but wince as the Gnome steps off the ledge, then again at how his arms and legs twist in the darkness - not that anyone else can see that. He laughs as the blighter makes it across. "I do. Truly amazing!"

He then grabs the Rope and starts pulling himself across slowly, his armour clinking as he looks steadfastly ahead of himself. Only a slight gasp escapes his lips as his hand slips once, leaving him to finish the climb staring at the ceiling, as he slips beneath the rope.

Once he's across he calls to the others. "Beware. When we're across, we'll light a torch for the rest, but I should go in front and Shiny behind, to keep a close eye out"
    Last edited by Cavelcade; 2012-11-25 at 01:00 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

12. - Top - End - #1212

Natalia goes last, crossing the chasm with little trouble. She looks back sadly at the direction of the entrance where her crossbow and wire lie in wait of an orc, then slides down the rope and pulls it, as everyone has crossed before her. At some point during this she gave her excess gear weighing her down to Miriam, who for some reason stripped herself of nearly all her possessions. Natalia is extremely concerned about the cleric's mental state, but she'll hold off the rant for later. It's likely to be...loud, and loud is the last thing they want to be right now.

13. - Top - End - #1213

Mithril carefully climbed across the rope, Whiskers scampering along behind her. She had left her quarterstaff and bedroll behind in the room, hoping the group would be able to come back for them. The weight of them would have made the trip harder than she thought was practical.

14. - Top - End - #1214

Spoiler
    Show
    I thought Miriam took Mithril's quarterstaff for combat?

While the others slid down the rope, aided by Shiny's spell (She's still surprised that he was telling the truth for once and is eager to try out the spell for herself) Natalia keeps watch and tries to rearrange the room to mask signs of life and their recent disturbance as best she can.

15. - Top - End - #1215

Valen is the second down the rope after Kurt. Once safely on the other side he quickly takes out his Greatsword, carefully listening as it is still too dark for him to see.

Before crossing, Valen takes and stores all but one of the Everburning Torches from around Alabaster's abode.

Spoiler
    Show

Listen(d20+3)[18]
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-11-25 at 05:12 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1216

Natalia listens intently as she descends, then looks into the gloom when the torch is lit...

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (d20+8)[11]
    Listen: (d20+8)[15]

Her eyes aren't fully adjusted to the dim light, however, and the caves' acoustics make it difficult to pinpoint sounds...
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-11-25 at 03:39 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt moves as quietly as he can to the edge of the cave, where the half-orc left and listens and keeps an eye out there. The acoustics of the large room throw off his hearing, but he moves quietly and stands quite still beside the opening, peering through.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20-2)[12] Move Silently
    (1d20-2)[13] Hide
    (1d20)[7] Listen
    (1d20)[17] Spot
    Last edited by Cavelcade; 2012-11-25 at 03:45 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

18. - Top - End - #1218

As Kurt sneaks to the entrance to the cave room, he keeps his senses open. Though he cant hear him, he sees a smaller Orc dragging an animal carcass towards the pit cave. The tunnel Vs up ahead and the Orc is coming from the right, he appears to be busy dragging the carcass and hasn't noticed you yet...

Shiny, if he is paying attention also sees him.

Spoiler
    Show

Map should be updated. This will be growing map and it may take me a while to keep it updated.

Currently there is light in the Cave and it, I won't be denoting light distance as that will take too much work. Currently Natalia has a Torch.
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-11-25 at 05:03 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1219

Retrieving and storing the rope, Natalia passes the torch to Mithril, Shiny, or Miriam; they can cast spells one-handed while she needs both hands free to be most effective in combat. And they'll be doing a lot of it.

"Spot in the dark?" she whispers to Shiny and Kurt.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt motions to Shiny and puts a finger to his lips indicating quiet and watches the orc, checking for any sign of weapons or armour.

Spoiler
    Show

If yes, he waits for the orc to come into the room and tries to kill him. If no, he tries to do enough non-lethal to knock him out.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think ZMan asked for a spot check from Shiny to see the approaching orc, but just in case:

(1d20-2)[16]

Shiny spots the oncoming orc and gives a nod to Kurt. He gives a wave to Natalia to cover her torch as best as best she can, to delay the orc seeing the light. He then readies himself- if the orc spots the party and tries to run before Kurt can get to him, Shiny will cast sleep.
    Last edited by Admiral; 2012-11-25 at 05:51 PM.

Current Map

22. - Top - End - #1222

Natalia helps the girl she passed the torch to cover it up.

23. - Top - End - #1223

Kurt notices that the Orc indeed has a wicked long knife on him. He has the build of an Orc warrior but this deep inside his home he isn't dressed for battle...

After motioning for the Light to be extinguished, Kurt readies his axe. As the Orc rounds the final corner, he turns his head surprised by the sources of heat just as Kurt's axe falls... Landed squarely in the Orcs back, bringing it to the ground in a grunt of fear...

Spoiler
    Show

Readied Attack(d20+9)[13]
    Damage(d12+6)[10]

It's at -5
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-11-25 at 07:49 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1224

Mithril just heard the thwack of the axe and jumped a little. She couldn't see what had happened in the dark.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny steps over and takes a look at the body. "Don't worry, everyone. Kurt killed it- it was just a really, really big rat. Actually, upon getting a closer look it might have been a really, really small cow."

Current Map

26. - Top - End - #1226

"Fighting orc?" Natalia whispers, slowly approaching as she motions for her friends with the torch to follow her. Her hands grip her shortsword and dagger; their reach is a bit less than she's used to but they're well-made and wickedly sharp. She doesn't think she'll have much trouble fighting like this.

27. - Top - End - #1227

After Kurt kills the Orc Valen whispers, "Here, take these, they shed their light and can be quelled with a simple command." as Valen passes an Everburning Torch to everyone except Miriam. "These would do little good shedding light for eternity in Alabaster's tomb."

Spoiler
    Show

Everyone, minus Miriam has an Everburning torch. Heartless, but sheds light upon command. Posted Valen taking all but one from Alabaster's. Figured they do us some good.

28. - Top - End - #1228

Natalia nods. "See light, not mold. Share light on living, not old bones." She gives Miriam a pointed look as she says this and ties the torch to her waist. The magic in it is slightly warm against her skin, but does not catch fire and does not burn. Good, now she can keep her hands free.

29. - Top - End - #1229

As they approach, if they have time, Natalia quickly pats down the orc; she doubts there's a map or anything on him, but you never know what you could find...

Spoiler
    Show
    Search: (d20+11)[22] Mostly I just want to make sure he's disarmed. Again, Natalia only does this if they have time.

She shakes her head. "...In deep," she mutters.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-11-25 at 08:47 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1230

Mithril shifted the torch to her right hand and peered into the darkness ahead. Noticing Miriam no longer wearing her armor she whispered "Do you want to use my magic armor on you? I understand you want to stay quiet." She assumed that the cleric had left her armor behind in an attempt to go unnoticed by the orcs, and she had seen the damaged mace discarded in a corner when she had woken up.