New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1495
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: IC II Toes In The Water

As you advance Orcan shouts can be hear ahead, maybe a hundred feet down the pitch black corridor, but its hard to tell with the echoing...

Shiny hears things like, "Intruders! Kill! Raarh!"

Spoiler
    Show

We are on initiative action. If anyone missed an action last turn, I'm sorry.

Initiative
    Miriam(d20+1)[9]
    Kurt(d20+2)[5]
    Shiny(d20+2)[5]
    Natalia(d20+7)[9]
    Mithril(d20+2)[21]
    Valen (d20+2)[7]

O3(d20+2)[22]
    OW2(d20)[14]
    O(d20)[7]

So Block Initiative is...
    Orcs
    Mithril
    Orcs
    Natalia
    Orcs
    Miriam, Kurt, Shiny, Valen

Remember, Only Kurt can see 60', the rest are limited to good sight to 20, dim to 40 which grants concealment to ranged attacks. I'll fill in the area as you move.

If something is beyond our collective sight, it is currently not on the map, even though I may have outlined that area of the map. If you have questions, post a move and I'll let you know what you see so you can adjust your actions. A little less metaknowledge should make the fights feel more realistic.
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-11-28 at 11:38 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Colossus in the Playground

It's so hard to see down the corridor...Natalia can't be as hasty as before, not in the near darkness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, that initiative roll sucked. Though Miriam should go with Natalia. You'd think with a +4 to Initiative checks I'd roll above 10 more often. I think I roll the worst initiative on average if you take my comparatively sky-high modifiers into account. Anyway, would Natalia be able to light and throw a regular torch in one round?

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam touches the back of Kurt. "St. Cuthbert, in our quest to bring justice and order to this land, grant protection from evil to this valiant warrior."

The crudely carved part of the staff shines brighter and suddenly the dwarf feels less exposed to the evil doers weapons in the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Protection from Evil on Kurt - +2AC + 2Save - Protection against charms and other - protection against summoned creatures.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

4. - Top - End - #1324

Natalia can't see, but she can hear the orcs coming. She takes a flask of liquid fire from Miriam, moves closer to the enemy, and lobs it at the closest orc.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming the orcs don't make it to us in one round, Natalia throws an alchemist fire flask at the nearest orc. I don't know how far away he is, but it's probably 20-40 feet; I haven't added in the range modifiers, or concealment because they might be visible at that point. Even if it misses, if it lands in the square it'll do 1 damage, which is better than nothing. And the fire might illuminate further for a couple of rounds.

Attack: (d20+7)[12]

Hm, well it is a ranged touch attack, if the orc's only 20 feet away then that might have actually hit...Obviously Natalia's probably going to move a bit if it means the difference between hitting and missing.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-11-28 at 03:04 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1325

Mithril braced her feet, looked around and sighed. In the dark most of her spells were of little use. Shrugged she raised her hand and prepared to startle the next orc to cross her path.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not doing the powerful spells since I need to be able to target an enemy for most of them. Flare on the first orc Mithril sees.
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

6. - Top - End - #1326

As Mithril readies her spell, a faint fall of light centered in her hand and Natalia throws a flask of fire, the Orcs can be heard advancing, but are not yet in sight...

Spoiler
    Show

Ok, Now on Kurt, Valen, Miriam, and Shiny for Initiative.

Orcs still aren't in sight, but are getting close.

I thought we were advancing to meet them?! Lol.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Will Miriam buffing of Kurt count for this round or not?

If not, she will wait until she sees or someone tell her one of the head of the snake showed up.

In this case let's make Valen strong as a bull!
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt moves forward with a grunt, swiftly walking to the next choke point - beckoning the others to join him.

Spoiler
    Show

Moves to BE 50

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

9. - Top - End - #1329

Spoiler
    Show
    If Natalia's move action was to take a flask from Miriam, who I assume is next to her because she was buffing Kurt and Natalia's next to Kurt, then she takes a 5 foot step to BE 47. If she had used the move action to move forward and throw the flask because Miriam was next to her, then she moved to BH 49 and threw the flask from there.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-11-28 at 08:54 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1330

Kurt sees the first Orc, a young one dressed in only Leather Armor and wielding a worn yet deadly Greataxe...

As the stout dwarf is moving up, Miriam moves to Valen and speaks a strong sermon to the Cudgel filling the warrior with divine strength. Valen then moves up, quickly, his blade ready on the opposite side of the corridor..."We need light!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Kurt has moved up, he can either ready an attack, or keep moving.

Either way, others may appreciate him letting them know he can see an Orc.

Valen moves up, readies an attack.
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-11-28 at 09:44 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1331

"Shiny?" Natalia asks the gnome. She should have run further, if Kurt takes another hit like before...But then again, what can someone like her do in comparison to that axe?

12. - Top - End - #1332

Shiny springs forward, apparently unphased by the dark cooridors and sounds of charging orcs. He smiles broadly, "Good thing that I, Shiny, Skilled Dancer and Lantern Maker could combine my crafts to such effect." as he speaks he opens his hands and four flowing shers shoot out of his hand drunkenly, each speeding a bright light...

The bright lights spread out evenly in the center of the upcoming room revealing the presence of 6 Orcs. Three are dressed in Leather Armor and are wielding Greataxes. Two older looking Orcs are wielding Falchions and dressed in Hide armor. Another, much older and hardened looking Orc is wearing a dull breastplate and wielding a wicked looking Double Axe...

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Dancing Lights, which move 100' forward shedding Torchlight equivelant Light.
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-11-28 at 11:31 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1333

Natalia looks at the half dozen more orcs in the back room, and swallows roughly when she sees the largest one with the double axe. What armor is he wearing? Does he have both eyes?
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-11-28 at 10:46 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1334

Orc

The largest and meanest looking Orc moves up, his Blade at the ready... Its difficult to see him, hes only visible to Valen, Miriam, and Mithril in the Dim Light.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mithril is up on the Initiative.
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-11-28 at 11:15 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1335

Mithril moved up as close to the orc as she could and fired off two blasts of force. They twined together heading straight toward the closest orc.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic Missile
    Damage (1d4+1)[4]
    Damage (1d4+1)[3]
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

16. - Top - End - #1336

Mithril sends her orbs streaking down the tunnel as they hit the well armored Orc squarely...

Orcs

The two Hide clad orcs move up, the first Charging Valen. Valen attempts to cut the Orc down with his readied blade... and manages a lethal blow before the Orc's axe fell...

The second moves up and takes cover behind the wall...

Spoiler
    Show

Valen Readied Attack(d20+9)[25]
    Damage(2d6+7)[13]
    If he doesn't fall...

Charge(d20+6)[9]
    Damage(d12+4)[15]

Valen Initiative changes to right after Mithril next round.
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-11-29 at 12:05 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1337

Emboldened by Valen and Mithrils' success, chagrined by her earlier thoughtlessness, and determined not to let that very scary-looking orc chop Mithril in half in retaliation, Natalia runs forward and attempts to stab the hiding orc with the dagger, knowing it won't be enough to bring him down but hoping for Kurt to finish the job.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking cover into account:
    Attack: (d20+6)[13]
    Crit Confirm: (d20+6)[26]
    Damage: (d4+3)[5]
    Not surprised by those rolls in the slightest. Please tell me that's just enough to hit.

Natalia shouts out, "Kurt, backup!"
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-11-29 at 12:29 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam whispers to Kurt "Time to get big Sir Dwarf!"

Holding her lighted quarterstaff, she touches the back of Kurt "St. Cuthbert, once again your humble servant needs your help. In order to continue to bring justice and order to this land, grant my the power to enlarge the size of this warrior."

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast enlarge person on Kurt
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1339

The deft rogue agiliy moves past Valen and delivers a quick stab the the thigh of the Orc...

20. - Top - End - #1340

Orcs

Two of the youngest orcs begin to charge in their Leather armor with their Greataxes held high at the young rogue... one managed to wound Natalia with its vicious axe...

The third simply runs up behind...

Spoiler
    Show

Charge Attack(d20+6)[21]
    Damage (d20+6)[25]10

Charge Attack(d20+6)[11]
    Damage (d20+6)[25]

Miriam's action is complete, Valen, Kurt, and Shiny are up.
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-11-29 at 08:54 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1341

Natalia manages to dodge the first axe, but not the second. She yells as the axe rips through her thigh, and whimpers as the hot blood spreads into her slacks...

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt steps forward, then, his increased size filling the space next to Natalia and Valen. With a roar, he attacks the orc within his range, aiming to finish these off as quickly as possible.

Spoiler
    Show

Moves up and fills squares BE53, BE52, BD53 and BD52. Attacks OW2 with his 10' reach.

+1 - Bless

(1d20+10)[22] Attack
    (1d20+10)[28] Crit
    (3d6+7)[16] Damage
    (3d6+7)[13] Crit

Not sure if he's dead but not bad! Wish I'd taken cleave, now, I might be retraining next level.

With his enlarged size, and the strength Miriam has lent him, he easily drives the axe into his opponent.
    Last edited by Cavelcade; 2012-11-29 at 11:17 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

As her friends are using they magic she gave them with deadly precision, Miriam smiles. She is happy to give them the spotlight while she stays back.

She does not need the glory of the attention. She was born to help and that is what she does best.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1344

A pained hiss escapes from Natalia's clenched teeth as she presses her hand on the gash, trying to stop the bleeding. She looks up and sees the orc she stabbed doing the same, before Kurt reaches over her head and easily smashes his head in with a sickeningly organic sound.

She closes her eyes.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny winds up and lobs another spell towards the orcs, aiming it right at the center of the combat.

Spoiler
    Show

Shiny really wants to include the orc warrior in the range of this spell- getting him asleep would be too good- so I'm going to have to risk including Natalia in the range. I'm centering it so that it will hit four orcs (assuming none have >4 HD) before it can reach her, so if any of them fail she's safe.

Rolling them raw, DC 16 Will save. I don't know their HD- it will hit the ones with the fewest first, and among ties those closer to the center (Ob and Oc). Orc warrior could easily have too many HD once the little ones are down, but then at least so will Natalia.

Ob: (1d20)[16]
    Oc: (1d20)[10]
    Oa: (1d20)[15]
    OW2: (1d20)[8]
    Thanks to CoffeeIncluded for the avatar of Shiny, from the Eldgar campaign:

IC V Against the Current IC VI Stormy Seas.

Current Map

26. - Top - End - #1346

With a loud, wet, thwack Kurt fells another Orc with his now massive axe...

With a flick of his wrist Shiny causes three of the smallest and youngest looking orcs collapse into a slumber...

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen Checks
    Miriam(d20+3)[10]
    Kurt(d20)[2]
    Shiny(d20-2)[9]
    Natalia(d20+8)[13]
    Mithril(d20+3)[17]
    Valen (d20+3)[10]

27. - Top - End - #1347

At the fighting continues the sounds of more approaching Orcs can be heard coming from the East entrence.

One Orc, smaller and more agile than the rest moves quickly wielding an Orc Double axe and Leather armor, he moves to the Eastern side of the tunnel...

A massive Orc with only his Right eye and wearing fine chain, The Left Eye of Gruumsch, moves quickly wielding a massive and scary looking Greataxe. He moves forward and is on the Western side of the tunnel...

A female Orc, with her left eye hung around around neck and wearing a well kept breast plate, The Left Eye of Gruumsch, comes forward holding a heavy shield and heavy mace.

Three other younger Orcs wearing leather and wielding Falchions move forward as well, but none can keep up with the Double Axe wielder and the Right Eye of Grrumsch.

Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: No one can actually see the C or the last OW2 yet.

They are after all the Orcs on the Initiative.

B is the Right Eye
    C is the Left Eye
    O4 is the Double Axe Wielder
    OW2s are the three other Orcs
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-11-29 at 03:57 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1348

Natalia begins shaking in terror. There she was, headed after those orcs, and now Mithril and Miriam and Shiny are exposed for...

...oh Gond...

"Back!" she shouts, her voice high pitched, quavering with a petrified laugh. "Eheh, found a head, Miriam!"
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-11-29 at 04:00 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1349

Orc

Watching his lessor fall to slumber around him the large Orc lets out a bellow and moves into combat with the Giant Dwarf.... they trade mighty blows, the Orc taking far worse out of the bargain...

Spoiler
    Show

Kurt AoO
    Attack(d20+10)[30]
    Damage(3d6+7)[22]

He couldn't charge.
    Attack(d20+11)[21]-2
    Damage(d8+9)[10]

New Initiative

Orc
    Mithril, Valen, Natalia
    Miriam, Kurt, Shiny,
    Boss Fight Orcs

Last edited by Zman; 2012-11-29 at 04:06 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

A sad smile goes over Miriam's face "We found the heads it seems ..... Time to end this menace and save Linwood for good!"

She will wait until she has the two heads in range and will invoke St. Cuthbert "Listen to your humble servant, St. Cuthbert. It is time to show these evil doers that Justice and Order always triumph. Grant me the power to make less agile with their weapon than they are."

Spoiler
    Show
    Miriam will cast bane on the two heads and try to get as many other orcs as she can.
    Sorry for the vague description but I have no map.
    Spoiler
    Show