New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Ponythread LV:55 Ponythread learns Agility!

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Interesting, I'm like Bleakbane in the manner of I think of all hooved creatures as Ungulates and then split them into odd and even hooved.
    A quick question to a biology teacher seems to say the same thing. First Hooves, then either Even Toed (like Pigs, Goats, and Giraffes), or Odd Toed (like Horses, the cute and cuddly tapirs, and the Rhino).

Eh, they're still the least edible parts of most of those animals...

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I did quick quiz and a lot of people in fact doesn't think of pig as hooved at all, even English speakers.
    Which, while it may be true, is inaccurate. Pigs hooves is the correct technical term, whereas "trotters" in English is both more informal usage and refers particularly to the use of sheep's and pig's feet as food (the latter use probably determining the former).

(Incidently, a google search of "pigs trotters" turned up mostly recipies and severed feet, while "pigs hooves" turned up mostly animal care and zoological references...! And, while it doesn't mean all that much, the latter had more google hits than the former.)

So if ponies do start talking about pigs trotters...!

And yes, here it is kopyto (hoof, singular word form) for horse, kopytko (both plural and diminutive/smaller form of hoof) indicating smaller, split hoof of cattle/wild game (and has plural-plural form kopytka for 2 or more) and racica (whatever it is pigs/boars/warthogs have). While you can technically swap kopytko/racica, as both are even-toed animals (przystokopytne) it's considered mistake, and kopyto is pretty much horses/zebra only (nieparzystokopytne, odd toed animals, essentially).
    Which is interesting, and it is slightly different usage to English, where hoof and trotter are basically interchangable when talking about pigs especially, but with the latter having slightly different connotations.

(It's all good, because it's as much education for me as for the rest of you...!)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-10-25 at 06:37 PM.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    A quick question to a biology teacher seems to say the same thing. First Hooves, then either Even Toed (like Pigs, Goats, and Giraffes), or Odd Toed (like Horses, the cute and cuddly tapirs, and the Rhino).
    Yes, but seeing how big order even toed are, most people then divide them into suiformes and ruminants - equidae would be comparable in size to either, so it's natural.

Also, no one remembers poor camels and rhinoceros, so they don't count :P

So if ponies do start talking about pigs trotters...!
    Trottingham. Might be called so for a reason, especially considering quality of meat England will readily accept

Haggis, "sausages", pudding, I'm looking at you :E
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

4. - Top - End - #784
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Yes, I intended that pun.
    Well, I want to disagree with your stance, but you cut a mean pun and I can respect that. You're okay in my book! Have some candy:

Farm Grown Candy Corn!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    Cows seem to sell their milk in exchange for lodging and grazing grounds?
    And occasionally buy cookies to go with it.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

5. - Top - End - #785
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Never heard trotter in reference to pigs feet before though never looked them up, looking the word up shows it as a secondary definition.

That Polish has completely separate words for types of hooves is one of those tiny little details that always blows my mind.

(I tend to think "pigs feet" regardless of knowing they have have hooves)

6. - Top - End - #786
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yes, but seeing how big order even toed are, most people then divide them into suiformes and ruminants - equidae would be comparable in size to either, so it's natural.
    Before school, I'd have thought you were making up jibberish... scientists have way too much time on their hands...

Also, no one remembers poor camels and rhinoceros, so they don't count :P
    Given that the Rhino is one of the few bastards capable of taking on a damn Cape Buffalo and winning, and the Cape Buffalo is one of the few bastards capable of being attacked by Lions and surviving, I disagree.

Also, Rambi is not amused.

Spoiler
    Show

Though he doesn't normally look amused anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Farm Grown Candy Corn!
    Spoiler
    Show

I don't particularly like Candy Corn myself. Though this commit did just get a few looks in my college class when I burst out laughing. Her "Problem?" face is just priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    (I tend to think "pigs feet" regardless of knowing they have have hooves)
    Yeah, I do that too. Either Pigs feet or Pig Knuckles.

By the way, that thing you did last week, Soras? That was awesome...
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-10-25 at 07:26 PM.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Troll in the Playground

Before school, I'd have thought you were making up jibberish... scientists have way too much time on their hands...
    While 'suiform' might be case of this, 'ruminants' are normal word for cattle. At least here
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Most even-toed ungulates (such as sheep, goats, deer, cattle, bison and pigs) have two main hooves on each foot, together called a cloven hoof.
    Also, Trottingham, as in, to trot.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Bugbear in the Playground

Latin, me lad. I'm not sure if that's the derivation of "suiformes", but both "ruminant" and "equidae" are both straight from the Latin.

(See: English "ruminate" (to think about, chew over), English "equine" (of or relating to horses))
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Kyouhen, your avatar is such a sneaky pony. So sneaky.

*Kidnaps the sneaky pony*

@_@

Sneaky ponies are awesome, yo.

Wait, what are you...? Hey! HEY! WHERE ARE YOU TAKING ME!?

Why not sub in Spoon for AJ? I thought that would make more sense. Or at least another classmate like Twist.
    I'm gunna go ahead and say that, at the moment, selling a set with Apple Bloom and the two class bullies is probably a really bad marketing move.

That was a very fun thought to return to, after a weekend of -hell-... A funeral, $800 car repairs, and being made to -NOT- get involved in a case of domestic abuse involving one of my friends, along with missing a doctor's appointment, general exhaustion, and missing a party. I just hate everything right now.

What's going on with you guys?
    Hugs. Hugs are going on. Right now.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #791

Given that the Rhino is one of the few bastards capable of taking on a damn Cape Buffalo and winning, and the Cape Buffalo is one of the few bastards capable of being attacked by Lions and surviving, I disagree.

Also, Rambi is not amused.

Spoiler
    Show

Though he doesn't normally look amused anyway...
    Rhinos are the sh*t. Anyone who thinks otherwise is spewing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Maxtronaut; 2012-10-25 at 08:17 PM.
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Firbolg in the Playground

Also, Rainbows are established as an ultra-spicy liquid. It probably are aerosolized into the atmosphere in order to create an rainbow trail. (when they are not in the raibow waterfall form that is)

Which possibly means Rainbow Dash's body possibly produce and secretes the rainbow liquid when her body enters high aerobic metablism state.
    What does Rainbow Dash taste like.... spicy. It's science.
    My personal headcanon is that rainbows are highly volatile, and tend to explode ferociously when under the wrong circumstances. Thus, when Rainbow Dash began emitting the stuff of rainbows, the spectra exploded, providing even greater forward momentum. Note that during the rainboom itself, her wings do not move; she pulls a 90 degree, 11G turn, arcs back up and over Cloudsdale, carrying three ponies as dead weight, all without ever moving her wings. We only see her flap again once the rainbow's run out.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

13. - Top - End - #793
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

best pony doctor pic anyone?

Spoiler
    Show

Not what I was expecting either

14. - Top - End - #794
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

While 'suiform' might be case of this, 'ruminants' are normal word for cattle. At least here
    I don't doubt that the words aren't real, official or not. Just before I knew about such nomenclature, I'd have thought you to be speaking voodoo.... then again, back then, I actually believed in voodoo, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    Latin, me lad. I'm not sure if that's the derivation of "suiformes", but both "ruminant" and "equidae" are both straight from the Latin.

(See: English "ruminate" (to think about, chew over), English "equine" (of or relating to horses))
    I wonder why exactly we moved away from Latin, and yet have so many words in our current language built from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    Hugs. Hugs are going on. Right now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pardon me, I don't hate everything. That would mean hating this thread, and you guys, and I most certainly don't hate any of you.

Spoiled for Angst. I've -really- wanted to vent, but if this isn't the place to do it, I'm sorry for assuming more than I should, and I'll take it somewhere else.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm just still irritated about the things going on in my life that I have no control over. I need to hold my issues with dying back so I can be able to offer a dry shoulder to cry on. The stupid car was used for 1000, then required 250 in break repairs, then another 300 from a car accident that resulted from the break repairmen screwing me over, then another 200 to fix them properly, and now this.

But the worst thing is what's going on with my friend. I tried asking on the Personal Advice thread, and I still don't know what to do. And it pisses me off royally. She wants to work things out, and would prefer no one get involved in business that isn't theirs. I know her situation, and want to respect her decisions.

At the same time, this jackass has been telling her all throughout the pregnancy that he wants her to have an abortion, and that he's not interested in being a dad, even though he's the father. And now that the baby's born, he flips the script between not wanting to take care of her and wanting to take her from the mom that actually does want her. The bastard's a drug abuser, gets mad when she even remotely spends any time with anyone else, even church friends ('s how I know her) spent time going in and out of prison, cuts himself worse than I do, breaks things around their home, and might even be threatening her and her daughter.

And I'm not supposed to do a damn thing about this? I could go to the police, to child services. I know where they live; I could be over there right now and do something about it! But because she's my friend, I'm supposed to just wait and let him potentially keep driving her life into the ground? I'm supposed to sit on my hands, powerless as a friend of mine's life goes into the toilet? It pisses me the hell off! I want to be ****ing furious about this all! Love and Tolerate everything may be the better route, but god damn it if it's not enough to make me want to tear out someone's throat!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    Rhinos are the sh*t. Anyone who thinks otherwise is spewing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Amen, bro. Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Note that during the rainboom itself, her wings do not move; she pulls a 90 degree, 11G turn, arcs back up and over Cloudsdale, carrying three ponies as dead weight, all without ever moving her wings. We only see her flap again once the rainbow's run out.
    I don't see why that requires Rainbows to be extra special to do... once you start telling the speed of sound and speed of light to go **** themselves, you can do whatever you want, including making gravity your bitch, without relying on anything but the rule of cool. G-forces and speed assisted by gravity alone keeping someone going, even through a turn like that, without extra propulsion? Seems genuinely legit to me.

... ****, I can't say seems legit without it sounding sarcastic now.

best pony doctor pic anyone?

Spoiler
    Show

Not what I was expecting either
    Heh, that's funny because having a doctor like that normally would be horrifying. I'd sooner trust her than Franken Fran at least!
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-10-25 at 09:48 PM.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder why exactly we moved away from Latin, and yet have so many words in our current language built from it.
    The Romans actually won. Don't let anypony tell you otherwise.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, he survived a lot and is the most awesome paladin of the comic... LOL, okay a silly option would be the acid shark he survived. Or a die with a 20 on it. But the serious option I'd say a symbol of the Sapphire Guard, like their sword or something. He is pretty badass. The guy wrote down most of Xykon's spell list by being SUBJECTED to the spells.
    ... I see your point, but he was a fighter for years before becoming a paladin, so I don't see it having anything to do with the Sapphire guard... Am I just over thinking this?
    My pronouns are they/them, but I don't care much.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #797
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'd actually call it a pretty fair exporting job given that the Romans managed to push their tongue into a language who's roots were never a Roman province.

18. - Top - End - #798

Two reasons, basically. First, English basically started out as the bastard child of French and German (as they were at the time), so it inherited a bunch of Latin-based French stuff. And second, for a very long time Rome was seen as the epitome of civilization, and therefore to be emulated as much as possible.

This latter is why we've got phrases lifted wholesale - "e pluribus unum", for instance, and "semper fidelis" - and also why a lot of the "rules" of English grammar exist. When your primary-school teachers told you not to split an infinitive (as in "to boldly go"), that's ultimately because it's impossible in Latin ("to go" being a single word, "ire") (which should, in turn, not be confused with "irate", "angrily").

(Have I mentioned how much I enjoy finally getting to take a Latin class?)
    Last edited by Kd7sov; 2012-10-25 at 10:29 PM.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

19. - Top - End - #799
    Titan in the Playground

Agh, Derpy, No! You'll glitch the Hall of Fame!

comic image, no season 3 spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Its too late now!

21. - Top - End - #801
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Also, Trottingham, as in, to trot.
    Ah, there we go. I'm glad I'm not the only source that thought we were talking about diarrhea for a moment.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

22. - Top - End - #802
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

That would tell me so much more if I actually payed attention in my history class, rather than fevorishly f5 the playground, wondering if anyone of interest has a response.

... why on earth am I still making an A?

Quote Originally Posted by asdflove View Post
    ... I see your point, but he was a fighter for years before becoming a paladin, so I don't see it having anything to do with the Sapphire guard... Am I just over thinking this?
    I don't think you could make a Bad Ass enough Cutie Mark for him.
    Good lord, when did Cutie Mark and Bad Ass suddenly fit together in the same sentence?
    Anyway, You're probably much better off with a generic symbol for the Sapphire Guard... with the added bonus that Miko's can be grey instead of normal, to represent her falling. The Sapphire Guard was the purpose of those character, be they Paladins or NPC Classed.

I'd actually call it a pretty fair exporting job given that the Romans managed to push their tongue into a language who's roots were never a Roman province.
    It's conversations like these that remind me that I'm not hanging out with just potential friends over an obscure internet reference, but that I'm in the presence of several adults multiple tiers over my own intelligence and maturity... very humbling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    Two reasons, basically. First, English basically started out as the bastard child of French and German (as they were at the time), so it inherited a bunch of Latin-based French stuff. And second, for a very long time Rome was seen as the epitome of civilization, and therefore to be emulated as much as possible.

This latter is why we've got phrases lifted wholesale - "e pluribus unum", for instance, and "semper fidelis" - and also why a lot of the "rules" of English grammar exist. When your primary-school teachers told you not to split an infinitive (as in "to boldly go"), that's ultimately because it's impossible in Latin ("to go" being a single word, "ire") (which should, in turn, not be confused with "irate", "angrily").

(Have I mentioned how much I enjoy finally getting to take a Latin class?)
    I still don't see why we didn't just stay with Latin, rather than even bothering with the derivatives knock-offs. If it forms so much of the backbone of so many languages and is thought to be so awesome by everyone... I really should be paying more attention in class.. then again, we're on ancient china and india right now...

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-10-25 at 11:41 PM.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

rant
    Spoiler
    Show
    But the worst thing is what's going on with my friend. I tried asking on the Personal Advice thread, and I still don't know what to do. And it pisses me off royally. She wants to work things out, and would prefer no one get involved in business that isn't theirs. I know her situation, and want to respect her decisions.

At the same time, this jackass has been telling her all throughout the pregnancy that he wants her to have an abortion, and that he's not interested in being a dad, even though he's the father. And now that the baby's born, he flips the script between not wanting to take care of her and wanting to take her from the mom that actually does want her. The bastard's a drug abuser, gets mad when she even remotely spends any time with anyone else, even church friends ('s how I know her) spent time going in and out of prison, cuts himself worse than I do, breaks things around their home, and might even be threatening her and her daughter.

And I'm not supposed to do a damn thing about this? I could go to the police, to child services. I know where they live; I could be over there right now and do something about it! But because she's my friend, I'm supposed to just wait and let him potentially keep driving her life into the ground? I'm supposed to sit on my hands, powerless as a friend of mine's life goes into the toilet? It pisses me the hell off! I want to be ****ing furious about this all! Love and Tolerate everything may be the better route, but god damn it if it's not enough to make me want to tear out someone's throat!
    Spoiler
    Show
    unfortunately the answer is yes..do nothing(unless its a situation where you are visiting and he gets violent RIGHT THEN)
    as sad as it is you cannot help her until and unless she wants to be helped

she may genuinely love this guy(i would assume so anyway since she is still with him) and if you call in the authorities and get him sent where he deserves she may not react well..and if she finds out it was because of you you may lose her as a friend for years or forever

it may sound trite but just let her know she can talk to you about anything and you are ready to help if SHE decides to get out of the relationship
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2012-10-25 at 11:46 PM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

24. - Top - End - #804
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    unfortunately the answer is yes..do nothing(unless its a situation where you are visiting and he gets violent RIGHT THEN)
    as sad as it is you cannot help her until and unless she wants to be helped

she may genuinely love this guy(i would assume so anyway since she is still with him) and if you call in the authorities and get him sent where he deserves she may not react well..and if she finds out it was because of you you may lose her as a friend for years or forever

it may sound trite but just let her know she can talk to you about anything and you are ready to help if SHE decides to get out of the relationship
    Rant Reply Reply
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm really not sure that a forum on the internet is the best place to get advice on this subject. Neither am I sure if providing it here is Ok or constitutes legal advice.

But if there is a child is involved, there is to my mind only one question. Do you believe the child could be at risk?

I'm not really sure about the above, and don't really know what to say. I'm going to leave it at that and comment no further.

So instead, here's a pony that was a car that is a pony and is now a pony that is not a car but was a pony that is a car. Questions?
    Spoiler
    Show

And the terrifying true face of Jack the Ripper (Mostly not a pony)
    Spoiler
    Show

Edit - Went to the trouble of figuring out how to (pretty badly) mix the original vocals from Pinkie's Brew to the no-vocals Russian Gypsy Jazz version only to realise that I have no idea how to conveniently put an mp3 online and the tool I once used to make a no-effort youtube vid has gone missing.

Oh well. It's pretty half arsed anyway. No great loss to the internet.
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-10-26 at 12:09 AM.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ettin in the Playground

That would tell me so much more if I actually payed attention in my history class, rather than fevorishly f5 the playground, wondering if anyone of interest has a response.

... why on earth am I still making an A?

Good lord, when did Cutie Mark and Bad Ass suddenly fit together in the same sentence?
    Anyway, You're probably much better off with a generic symbol for the Sapphire Guard... with the added bonus that Miko's can be grey instead of normal, to represent her falling. The Sapphire Guard was the purpose of those character, be they Paladins or NPC Classed.

It's conversations like these that remind me that I'm not hanging out with just potential friends over an obscure internet reference, but that I'm in the presence of several adults multiple tiers over my own intelligence and maturity... very humbling.

I still don't see why we didn't just stay with Latin, rather than even bothering with the derivatives knock-offs. If it forms so much of the backbone of so many languages and is thought to be so awesome by everyone... I really should be paying more attention in class.. then again, we're on ancient china and india right now...

Is that from previous Lauren Faust Work, Cats don't Dance.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

26. - Top - End - #806

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    My personal headcanon is that rainbows are highly volatile, and tend to explode ferociously when under the wrong circumstances.
    Rainbows and Thunder are Pegasi Nitrous...

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Is that from previous Lauren Faust Work, Cats don't Dance.
    That's From Disney's The Princess and The Frog.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

27. - Top - End - #807
    Firbolg in the Playground

Rainbows and Thunder are Pegasi Nitrous..

Mmm, more like a scramjet. Once you get up to speed, the reaction continues.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground

Um- I already did Miko fallen and not...
    But basically, You think I am over thinking it? I have a tendency to do that at times...
    My pronouns are they/them, but I don't care much.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #809

Oh, that.

Essentially, the reason is "language doesn't work that way". I have somewhat less expertise here than on the other subject, but... have you ever read Shakespeare, and had trouble figuring out what was being said? Did you know Shakespeare wrote only about four hundred years ago, and used what is considered to be the same form of English that we use (i.e., not Old English)? Now realize that Latin had its heyday more like two thousand years ago, and you'll get some sense of how different it would've become - did become, in fact, in different areas of the Empire. Italy speaks it one way, France another, Spain another, and so on.

Geography also played a role. The Romans did have some presence in the British Isles, but I don't think it was anything like as much as they had on most of the Continent. The distance, combined with a couple of later invasions by the... Angles? Jutes? I don't remember who's who off the top of my head except for the Normans, and I know they were later. Anyway, Germanic peoples invaded after the Romans stopped being a world superpower, and brought their own language, overriding whatever foothold Latin had managed to get.

And that's how Pinkie got her cutie mark.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Titan in the Playground

Also, English has a long-term habit of following other languages down a dark alley, beating them over the head with a stick and stealing their words. While whether or not English has the largest vocabulary or not is a difficult question to answer (what constitutes a word, what about agglutinative languages etc etc), it has probably nicked more words than most or all of the others...

(Though I think Japan also nicks a lot of English words too - partly because there appears to be charmingly a school of thought there that including English words is cool or something when stuck into songs, especially in anime and stuff.)

Also, woo! First late birthday present Civ V Game of the year edition! Not expecting a huge amount out of it (otherwise I'd bought it when it first came out), but I'm sure it'll provide some entertainment. And with the release of Fallen Enchantress (and that Civ V Gods and Kings), I've even got something to spend my birthday money on too.

First mod, though, will be that Civ V pony mod...! Huzzah!

(Though frags knows when I'll actually get to it, what with all the other games I've got...!)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-10-26 at 07:14 AM.