New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Advice on build: Dread Necro/WitW

Hey there! First things first, I'm a noob. Never played a game in my life and not entirely savvy on how everything's done. I have, however, read up a lot on 3.5 and I'm no stranger to RP.

So basically, I'm here with a character concept that I would like some general advice on. The campaign I might be joining looks to be RP heavy and focuses on a theme of moral ambiguity.

My character is as follows:
    A doctor/surgeon who, in his efforts to defeat death, has turned to necromancy and the study of dark magic.
    The game is supposed to start with our characters at highish level (around 12 I think?) and the build I've got in mind is cleric/DN/WitW.
    I only really wanted cleric for the healing and the spells I need for WitW, so there's little focus on that. My main focus is really DN, but I've read that it's best to PrC out at lvl 8 so I'm thinking Cleric 2/DN 8/WitW 2 to start.

I'd appreciate any opinions or advice on how I can go about building the character's feats and such or any other feedback really. I have this idea in my head of having my character in a reinforced coffin being toted about by a meaty zombie that I've used Majic Jar on so I can battle and such without putting my characters frail lil bod in jeopardy. Oh, also, I'd like him to have a pretty good disguise skill so that he can get away with moonlighting as a Dread Necro despite a high profile in society.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Advice on build: Dread Necro/WitW

To start with, you don't want Cleric 2, your effectiveness as a DN will drop significantly because of it, and you already suffer from 2 lost caster levels. Instead take Arcane Disciple from Complete Divine and choose the Thirst Domain. That will qualify you for WitW without needing to dip. And if you must for flavor reasons... take it twice and add a healing domain. Although in my mind 'doctor' and 'miracle healer' (clerics) are not the same. Just having potions on you might give you the flavor you need.
    Last edited by roguemetal; 2012-11-02 at 02:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Are you taking WitW for power or for RP purposes? Power, it leaves a lot to be desired, even DN 20 is a fair bit stronger.

Considered tomb-tainted soul for both RP and power, it's a feat that'll let you keep healing yourself. You could RP it as a healing gone wrong sort of thing.

You have seen http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214212 right?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thanks for replying guys. I'm taking the WitW because most of the game map is desert and it would make sense with my character coming from a desert oasis town. I've based most of what I know on the DN off of K's Handbook so the one linked was new to me but useful. Overall I like the idea of a dry lich and it would make sense with my toon, but again, I'm completely new so I'm not entirely aware of some Of the disadvantages I might be incurring or why.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

A cleric dip may be useful, but you really only need 1 level if you go that route. That second level of cleric gets you absolutely nothing except a couple extra spell slots that you're likely never going to use.

In fact, a one level dip in cleric is such an asset to most builds it's actually got its own handbook. I don't remember where, but I'm sure google can pop it up in a hurry. That or someone else will link it.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So I've read about stuff and I'm thinking that, if anything, id take a cleric dip for a free devotion feat. That along with an extra turn/rebuke pool sounds like it might be fairly useful.

Particularly, I was looking at the Healing Devotion that grants fast healing which activates automatically when you hit/fall below 0 and can be cast multiple times per day at the cost of a turn/rebuke attempt per extra activation. This also goes along with my Mage-Doctor schtick as it can be granted to others as well, and it can even be cast on undead units since it's not a cure spell.

Anyway, I'd like opinions here, would the devotion and extra turn attempts be worth the dip?