New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Banned

Default Re: Goblins X: Orcs fall, everybody dies (horribly)

Been crawling through the archives during the NYE/D-week wait, and today got up to the fight between Complains-of-Names and Sergeant Bremick in the Brassmoon Elites' barracks. And I noticed something interesting in this strip - Bremick mentions getting a circumstance bonus from watching Complains fight and "seeing all his moves". (A bonus to what, he doesn't specify; I'm guessing Armor Class since he doesn't swiftly kill Complains, as he would with a bonus to damage or even attack, but rather the fight is about even until Complains rages and then it swiftly turns in his favor, partly due to the rage but it also seems as though he's having a *much* easier time doing damage.)

I wonder if there's a houserule in Thunt's hypothetical campaign which formalizes such bonuses, and whether such a rule homebrewed for use in actual play would be a good way of making fighters suck less. (Perhaps this is not a new idea on my part; I haven't read the old threads from back then, on account of OMFGNO.)

Also, the Axe of Prissan is exactly the sort of thing I would put in one of my campaigns - a Rule of Cool item that arrives after milking an underpowered character's completely unwinnable encounter for drama, and turns it into an epic victory which raises the awesome factor for the entire campaign. Game balance is overrated, IMO; it's a good guideline for making sure that the campaign's default basis is not arbitrary, but the moment you have an opportunity to do something this great, you shouldn't hesitate just because it's "unfair"...you just need to make sure that the other players will also get their turn. (Which, to date, has happened for pretty much everybody except maybe Vorpal, depending on whether you could "getting taken seriously enough for someone to torture you" as a Crowning Moment of Awesome for a character historically defined by their incompetence.)

2. - Top - End - #452
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Been crawling through the archives during the NYE/D-week wait, and today got up to the fight between Complains-of-Names and Sergeant Bremick in the Brassmoon Elites' barracks. And I noticed something interesting in this strip - Bremick mentions getting a circumstance bonus from watching Complains fight and "seeing all his moves". (A bonus to what, he doesn't specify; I'm guessing Armor Class since he doesn't swiftly kill Complains, as he would with a bonus to damage or even attack, but rather the fight is about even until Complains rages and then it swiftly turns in his favor, partly due to the rage but it also seems as though he's having a *much* easier time doing damage.)

I wonder if there's a houserule in Thunt's hypothetical campaign which formalizes such bonuses, and whether such a rule homebrewed for use in actual play would be a good way of making fighters suck less. (Perhaps this is not a new idea on my part; I haven't read the old threads from back then, on account of OMFGNO.)
    Yeah, an insignificant bonus that's only applicable against other fighter-types that kicks in a few rounds after the casters have won the fight if you've spent the entire encounter just standing around watching is exactly what fighters need to suck less.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    In addition to being a legitimate Chinese invention.
    Kore's crossbow is nothing like a real repeating crossbow - it's more like a shotgun in that it fires all of its bolts at once, whereas a repeating crossbow just lets you fire one bolt after another without having to reload manually each time.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Kore's crossbow is nothing like a real repeating crossbow - it's more like a shotgun in that it fires all of its bolts at once, whereas a repeating crossbow just lets you fire one bolt after another without having to reload manually each time.
    He can do that too. He had some left there, because he never reloaded after wasting Chief. He shot him, and then tortured him.

New strip is up.
    Spoiler
    Show

Minmax, stop. Just stop. You're doing it wrong, and it hurts to watch you.
    Last edited by Marnath; 2013-01-04 at 08:46 PM.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

5. - Top - End - #455
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Spoiler
    Show
    Methinks this was an alternate MinMax that ran afoul of the undead versions of the party. Undead MinMax was definitely far more rotted and this fellow still has fresh blood on him. Plus, he appears to be sporting a head wound that would be consistent with a brain-eating zombie's bite.

Those poor undead creatures. MinMax's brain would make for meager nourishment.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2013-01-04 at 10:04 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh crud!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Walker Minmax!
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

7. - Top - End - #457
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Methinks this was an alternate MinMax that ran afoul of the undead versions of the party. Undead MinMax was definitely far more rotted and this fellow still has fresh blood on him. Plus, he appears to be sporting a head wound that would be consistent with a brain-eating zombie's bite.

Those poor undead creatures. MinMax's brain would make for meager nourishment.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alternatively, it's juicier and more tender because it doesn't get used. The best steaks come from animals that don't exercise much ,after all.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

I think it is time to retire the "Minmax gets big words mixed up" jokes.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    I think it is time to retire the "Minmax gets big words mixed up" jokes.
    Yeah, you would think by now Kin would have given up on trying to get through to him, at least while they're busy adventuring. Instead of explaining, in her place I would just go "Nevermind...."

10. - Top - End - #460
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    How dangerous is a zombie to a group at their level anyways? Also, they heard what sounded like Kin, so they may have either a small group of zombies to fight, or as much as an apocalypse.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #461
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Though there's obvious zombie-like behavior going on here, I remember Thunt specifically saying that we wouldn't see the zombies again; so I don't think they'd be any sort of influence to the plot. i.e. I don't think this is an alt who met said Zombie Minmax.

I think this is just an alt!Minmax who got a chunk of his brain knocked out and he's now reduced to stumbling around.

But, time will tell, right? Certainly seems to be something going on with his eyes.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2013-01-05 at 01:41 AM.

12. - Top - End - #462

Devil

I wouldnt say retire the misunderstanding big words joke...but at least give it some rest, yaknow? That and this one just wants funny. Ah Well. "The jokes can't all be good. You've gotta expect that once in a while."

13. - Top - End - #463
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    But, time will tell, right? Certainly seems to be something going on with his eyes.
    Alien Aberration brain slug, perhaps? There are several versions of this - Tsochari, Mockery Bugs, something in the Fiend Folio I think - or it could be yet another Thuntastic homebrew, like Mr. Fingers or Klik's race or the Yellow Musk Not-So-Much-Creeper-As-Stomper. (I love that Thunt never lets the rules stop him from being awesome.)

14. - Top - End - #464
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, you would think by now Kin would have given up on trying to get through to him, at least while they're busy adventuring. Instead of explaining, in her place I would just go "Nevermind...."
    Kin strikes me as the opposite sort, the ones who simply can't let it go until they've successfully explained it.

I don't see how anyone could expect the jokes to stop, when one character doesn't understand anything and the other understands almost everything and also has a compulsion to use large words. You should probably get used to Minmax doing that, because if I had to guess it's going to be the majority of their interactions with each other, pretty much out of necessity.

15. - Top - End - #465

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Kin strikes me as the opposite sort, the ones who simply can't let it go until they've successfully explained it.
    And this is why Kin and MinMax are perfect for each other.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2013-01-05 at 02:13 PM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

ten gold says it's just a very wounded and sore minmax doing it's best to escape some horrible fate and is seaking help.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #467
    Orc in the Playground

I was guessing slain Minmax animated by the group that's coming. Not sure whether it's that group's Minmax or another group's that they've killed, though.
    Your ad here! Call 1-800-SELLOUT.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    ten gold says it's just a very wounded and sore minmax doing it's best to escape some horrible fate and is seaking help.
    He is missing a chunk of his skull, his wounds appear to have stopped bleeding, and his eyes are white. Its pretty certain he is an undead of some sort. But I want to reask my question, for a party of their level and size, how dangerous is a standard zombie to them? If I had to guess I would say not very though. First of all, forgath is a cleric, they get some good undead fighting spells right? Also, that sword of minmaxes nearly decapitated a damn high end demon with one swing. I dont think it will have much trouble cutting undead-max in half.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    He is missing a chunk of his skull, his wounds appear to have stopped bleeding, and his eyes are white. Its pretty certain he is an undead of some sort. But I want to reask my question, for a party of their level and size, how dangerous is a standard zombie to them? If I had to guess I would say not very though. First of all, forgath is a cleric, they get some good undead fighting spells right? Also, that sword of minmaxes nearly decapitated a damn high end demon with one swing. I dont think it will have much trouble cutting undead-max in half.
    What if the sword has a flaw like Brillant Energy weapons: Can't hurt constructs or undead?
    I mean, we don't know for sure the weapons limitations.

If it is a standard zombie, then it is nothing to them: likely won't even get much exp.
    Clerics don't few undead fighting spells actually (at low levels there is just cure spells and searing light; high level they have multiple): they just can turn undead a class feature.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    What if the sword has a flaw like Brillant Energy weapons: Can't hurt constructs or undead?

If it is a standard zombie, then it is nothing to them: likely won't even get much exp.
    Clerics don't few undead fighting spells actually (at low levels there is just cure spells and searing light; high level they have multiple): they just can turn undead a class feature.
    They're only level 3, though. CR 1/2 is still enough to award XP.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Banned

But I want to reask my question, for a party of their level and size, how dangerous is a standard zombie to them?
    A standard zombie? Prolly not much. One of Herbert's homebrew creations, particularly if he's seen "28 days later" or something? No telling. Undead are one of the classic "as nasty as the DM wants them to be" things. You can't randomly just make a bear shoot flames out of its eyes without it ceasing to be a bear, but staying within "zombie" territory allows you to do all sorts of nastiness - disease, negative levels, conversion, flesh-eating, ability damage, the sky's the limit.

Also, that sword of minmaxes nearly decapitated a damn high end demon with one swing. I dont think it will have much trouble cutting undead-max in half.
    That would just mean there would be two half-zombies, both still trying to eat Minmax's brain (assuming they have sharp enough vision to Spot something so tiny and hidden among so many cobwebs).

I see absolutely no reason to think that an oblivion-blade would have such restrictions.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

It's a minmaxed zombie though....

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

A zombified Minmax would increase his Strength by 2 and decrease his Dexterity by 2, so he'd still be pretty powerful compared to an average 12 Str/8 Dex zombie.

He loses all of his class features and bonus feats, though, so he shouldn't be much of a threat.

On the other hand, this is Thunt, so for all we know zombies in his games retain all of their class features for no good reason.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2013-01-06 at 07:01 AM.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

24. - Top - End - #474
    Banned

On the other hand, this is Thunt, so for all we know zombies in his games retain all of their class features because they totally should and that'd be awesome.
    Fixed that for you.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Fixed that for you.
    Never do that again.

This is not a joke. I hate that.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2013-01-06 at 07:20 AM.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Banned

Never do that again.

This is not a joke. I hate that.
    Understood. I apologize. (I will apologize again if I forget later, as I've a lousy memory. If it's really important to you, I'd suggest putting a disclaimer in your sig so that nobody can claim ignorance of your preferences; that's what I did after all.)
    Last edited by willpell; 2013-01-06 at 08:51 AM.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

he has a visible CUT in his head wich for all we know could just be skin, and the one eye we can see properly is the same one Minmax has as all white, for all we know the other could habe been swiped out in a similer way.

IDK. Just looks like a "help me!" moment rather then a "braaaiins" moment to me.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #478

I still don't get the blood splatter pattern on the walls. It looks like the roof will come down and crush everyone, then move back up and draw blood up along the walls. But why is there no blood on the floor then?

I just noticed... the blood is only near the strange lamps. That does no help my confusion... Maybe it's just part of the décor after all?

Also notice that zombie-minmax is all gray, a sure sign of undead status. And there is a second shadow behind him. It appears to be shorter... undead Forgath?
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Understood. I apologize. (I will apologize again if I forget later, as I've a lousy memory. If it's really important to you, I'd suggest putting a disclaimer in your sig so that nobody can claim ignorance of your preferences; that's what I did after all.)
    Fortunately there is a reminder for all of us, which I found the hard way.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    Fortunately there is a reminder for all of us, which I found the hard way.
    ...I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Are... are 'fixed that for you's infractable?
    Last edited by The Linker; 2013-01-06 at 09:26 PM.