New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Symbiotic Creature

Savage Species. Make 2 creatures... into one.

The smaller one has to be 2 sizes smaller, but you get it's mental stats. You get the bigger one's Physical Stats. Presumably you combine the LA of both, but only the HD of the larger. I guess you add class levels to the total.

So. Who's got some nice combos?
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Symbiotic Creature

Savage Species. Make 2 creatures... into one.

The smaller one has to be 2 sizes smaller, but you get it's mental stats. You get the bigger one's Physical Stats. Presumably you combine the LA of both, but only the HD of the larger. I guess you add class levels to the total.

So. Who's got some nice combos?
    There was a thread awhile back by Sgt. Cookie about using that with the Dread Blossom Swarm. Credit where credit is due.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2012-11-13 at 08:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

And as I noted in that thread, this template is in the same book that gives advice on ad-hoccing LA. It's probably best to presume that if you put it to use, your DM will give you an ad-hoc LA based on a discussion you have with him on your particular pairing.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    And as I noted in that thread, this template is in the same book that gives advice on ad-hoccing LA. It's probably best to presume that if you put it to use, your DM will give you an ad-hoc LA based on a discussion you have with him on your particular pairing.
    The +1 LA accounts for that. Unless you are going for some Incarnate Construct negative LA, the combined LA of the Creatures should cover it.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

A fun monster to use for this would be Choker/Chronotyryn. Arguably gets the choker's quickness for each round of the chronotyryn's two actions.

Much fun with the giant bird's Sorc 21 casting...
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    A fun monster to use for this would be Choker/Chronotyryn. Arguably gets the choker's quickness for each round of the chronotyryn's two actions.

Much fun with the giant bird's Sorc 21 casting...
    You'd have to be a Large size race to symbiote up with a Choker, or a Gargantuan race to use the Chronotyryn. Might be hard pressed to find a Gargantuan race with LA that isn't ruinous.

But Choker might still work.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    You'd have to be a Large size race to symbiote up with a Choker, or a Gargantuan race to use the Chronotyryn. Might be hard pressed to find a Gargantuan race with LA that isn't ruinous.

But Choker might still work.
    No, I mean Symbiotic them together. Wouldn't be that good for a PC (what with the choker's Int 4), but would be freaking awesome as an encounter.
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    No, I mean Symbiotic them together. Wouldn't be that good for a PC (what with the choker's Int 4), but would be freaking awesome as an encounter.
    Oh. Oooooh. I misunderstood.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    Oh. Oooooh. I misunderstood.
    What is that, like 4 standards, 2 swifts, and 2 move actions every turn?........ By the gods
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Oh Morcleon... lol
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    What is that, like 4 standards, 2 swifts, and 2 move actions every turn?........ By the gods
    Yep!

Now, if you turned it's Sorc 21 into Psion 21, and gave it Synchronicity and Schism...

Oh Morcleon... lol
    Spoiler
    Show
    Indeed. Morcleon Industries (TM). Bringing you a lack of action economy since whenever-the hell-I-started-playing-D&D.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Right here, which includes the abomination that is the Half-Fey Greenbound Quasit guest. (Do note however, that doesn't actually work per the Type Pyramid in Savage Species p142-143.) Most of the template tricks in that guide do work, though.