New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #3301
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

A 1616 No.
    Infusions: An artificer is not a spellcaster, but he does have the ability to imbue items with magical infusions.
    A prestige class which advances “+1 level of existing spellcasting class” cannot benefit an Artificer.

2. - Top - End - #3302
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1616

No:
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberron Campaign Settting p. 31
    An artificer is not a spellcaster, but he does have the ability to imbue items with magical infusions.
    So the artificer class is not a spellcasting class.

Swordsaged!
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-05-13 at 11:56 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3303
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 1616 No. A prestige class which advances “+1 level of existing spellcasting class” cannot benefit an Artificer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 1616

No:
    So the artificer class is not a spellcasting class.

Swordsaged!
    A1616 Correction I know I asked the question myself; but I found a sidebar in Magic of Eberron's page 53 that states than an Artificer can benefit from prestige classes that advance casting as long as they don't specify they advance an arcane or divine spellcasting class, so classes with +1 level of existing class do in fact benefit an Artificer.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

4. - Top - End - #3304
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 1625

Are "holy" and "unholy" valid damage types?
    Homebrew: TemporalistQuotebox • Avatar by Kris on a Stick
    Blue is for sarcasm • Call me Attila

5. - Top - End - #3305
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Q 1626

Can a warlock Use Magic Device a bead of karma for +4 caster level to his invocations?

6. - Top - End - #3306
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AttilaTheGeek View Post
    Q 1625

Are "holy" and "unholy" valid damage types?
    A1625: No. The damage types you are thinking of are Positive Energy and Negative Energy, respectively. You may also be thinking of the divine/profane bonuses that some items and spells give, or possibly 4th edition's Radiant and Necrotic damage types. In 3.x, however, these are called Negative and Positive energy (although honestly you can rename them whatever you want).

7. - Top - End - #3307
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A1617
    How do you calculate the Caster Level of an Ur-Priest?

Wizard 10/Ur-Priest 10 is easy, that's 15.

a) What happens when you advance Ur-Priest? Say, Wizard 10/Ur-Priest 2/Full Divine advancement 8; is that also 15, or is it 11?
    The caster level of a Wizard 10/Ur-Priest 2/Loremaster 8 would be 15 if Loremaster is used to advance Ur-Priest. A class that does not have its own spells/day chart is not a spellcasting class, and so is not counted by the (UP level) + ½ (other spellcasting levels) formula for CL. The general rule is that the spellcasting class level is incremented by the advancing class, and the modified number is used by the formula. See, for example the text for Loremaster:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    … she adds the level of loremaster to the level of some other spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day, spells known, and caster level accordingly.
    b) What about Theurges? Wizard 10/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 8? Is that 15, 11, 19, or something else?
    The caster level of a Wizard 10/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 8 would be 19. Increment the spellcasting classes by MT for everything to do with spellcasting, then apply the Ur-Priest’s caster level rule using the incremented class levels. MT is not a spellcasting class, for it does not have a spells/day chart. (2 + 8) (Incremented Ur-Priest) + 1/2 * (10 + 8) (Incremented Wizard) = 19.

c) How about Half-advancing Divine Casters? What about on the levels when they don't advance spellcasting? Do they add 1/2 on the dead levels, and full on the advancement, or half on all, or half on all AND full on the advancing levels (for 1 1/2)?
    A class is a spellcasting class only if it has a spells/day chart. Otherwise follow the usual rule: increment the class or classes that are advanced, then substitute the resulting numbers into the Ur-Priest formula for CL.

d) What about late starting casters, like Hexblade? Are they considered Spellcasters prior to gaining Spellcasting levels?
    Yes. Even though a low level Hexblade or Paladin cannot cast spells, they belong to a spellcasting class. Again, a class is a spellcasting class if it has its own spells/day list. Also, these low-level characters can use spell-trigger items like wands as long as the wand contains a spell on their spell-list.

8. - Top - End - #3308
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
    A1625: No. The damage types you are thinking of are Positive Energy and Negative Energy, respectively. You may also be thinking of the divine/profane bonuses that some items and spells give, or possibly 4th edition's Radiant and Necrotic damage types. In 3.x, however, these are called Negative and Positive energy (although honestly you can rename them whatever you want).
    A1625 Addition
    If you mean the weapon enhancements, holy and unholy weapons become good and evil aligned respectively, for the purpose of bypassing DR
    A single action cannot and should not define a character's alignment. While a single action can have an alignment, a character's alignment is the culmination of all actions taken, and most importantly the purpose and intent for why those actions were taken.
    My Homebrews:
    Alu-Fiend + Lesser Variant[PEACH]
    Benders, Avatar: The Last Airbender Inspired Classes [PEACH]

9. - Top - End - #3309
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1626 No.

Anyone with sufficient Use Magic Device skill can activate a Bead of Karma. However, the property of that item is to increase the caster level of divine spells, and it can have no effect on invocations or other spell-like abilities.

Edit: Corrected.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-05-14 at 02:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #3310
    Titan in the Playground

A1626 Minor Correction According the SRD the bead of Karma gives a +4 CL boost to al spells, not just divine spells, having said that it wouldn't have effect on Invocations since they are SLA's.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

11. - Top - End - #3311
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
    A1625 correction: The Holy and Unholy weapon specials do two things: add 2d6 untyped damage to qualifying targets, and make the weapon good-/evil-aligned to bypass the corresponding damage reduction. There is no connection to positive or negative energy, or divine or profane bonuses.

Whether damage that bypasses DR/evil is evil-typed damage is not especially clear, but it's probably most accurate to consider it a matter of weapon alignment only.

Note that there is also a type of damage called vile, which is not related to any of these.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

12. - Top - End - #3312
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q1626
    Are there another class or PrC that like the fighter gives a bonus feat at 1st level? All books allowed. No dragon mags.
    Spoiler: Arcivus Luscient
    Show

HP: 204/204
    AC: 22
    Stats: 25, 10, 18, 10, 12, 20
    Passive Perception: 11
    Saving Throws: Str 8 (13), Dex 1 (6), Con 11 (16), Wis 8 (13), Cha 11 (17)
    Aura of Protection +5 to all Saves for everyone within 30ft
    Aura of Courage/Devotion immunity to Frighten/Charm for everyone within 30ft
    Always under effect of Protection to Evil and Good

13. - Top - End - #3313
    Banned

Devil

A1626
    Yes.

Psychic Warrior (XPH); Fighter Feats and Psionic Featsonly
    Wizard, swap "Scribe" and Metamagic Bonus feat list for Fighter Bonus Feat list (UA), Fighter Feats only
    Rogue, swap SA Progression for Fighter Bonus Feat Progression (UA), Fighter Feats only
    Monk, Monk variants (UA); several different choices of which feat you can get, but no flexibility in choices.
    Swordsage (ToB); Weapon Focus in multiple weapons according to his School.

Other methods of attaining feats are available, but are rarely useable inside of a game as they rely on the DM saying "yes, here's a free bonus feat".

____

Q1627; Does Ability Focus have any effect on Supernatural Class Features? I.e a Binder using Ability Focus (Soul Binding), would that have a DC of (10+1/2 Binder Class Level+Cha Bonus+2)?
    Last edited by Vaz; 2013-05-14 at 08:27 AM.

14. - Top - End - #3314
    Titan in the Playground

A 1627:

Ability focus can be used with any special attacks with saving throws, including class abilities. However, "soul binding" is not an ability with a saving throw, so you can't take "ability focus (soul binding)". You could take it for one of the abilities you gain from a vestige, as long as the ability has a saving throw.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

15. - Top - End - #3315
    Banned

Devil

Thank you. It was a bad example I gave, I must admit. Thanks, regardless!

16. - Top - End - #3316
    Ogre in the Playground

Q1628

With Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse, a Dex of 24 and 2 +1 daggers, how many attack rolls do I get and at what bonuses?

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

17. - Top - End - #3317
    Bugbear in the Playground

A1628

If your Base Attack Bonus is 5 or less, your attack bonuses are BAB +6 with one dagger and BAB +6 with the other. (BAB + 7 Dex + 1 enhancement -2 Two Weapon Fighting with the feat and a light weapon in the off hand)

If your Base Attack Bonus is 6 or greater, you gain iterative attacks with one of your weapons. For example, if you have a BAB of +8, your full attack routine would be +14 (main)/+14(off)/+9 (main)

18. - Top - End - #3318
    Titan in the Playground

A 1628 clarification:

Base Attack Bonus is only the portion of your attack bonus that you get from class levels (1 point from each level of Fighter, Barbarian, etc., 3 points from each 4 levels of Cleric, Rogue, etc., and 1 point from every 2 levels of Wizard, etc.). The bonus to attack rolls from Dexterity and from your weapons being magic doesn't affect the number of attacks you get at all.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

19. - Top - End - #3319
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Q 1629

If I am under the effects of Invisibility and Entropic Shield, with the latter modified by the Invisible Spell metamagic feat, what is the miss chance of someone who shoots an arrow into my square? Do I roll once for total concealment (50%) and once for entropic shield (20%)?

20. - Top - End - #3320
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 1610

Spell Storing can only be triggered by the wielder. Once a weapon is thrown it is no longer wielded. The target of your ranged attack could then use it for a melee attack (against you, perhaps) and decide (as the new wielder) to discharge the spell after successfully dealing damage.
    Q 1630

You have likely answered this before, but I seem to have forgotten the answer: most common definitions of wield include using a tool or weapon, not necessarily restricted to use in one's hand. Does D&D have a specific definition of wield, in a glossary entry or the like, that overrules common usage?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

21. - Top - End - #3321
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1630 Sort of

I know of no specific definition, but once a weapon or projectile is out of the hands of the wielder, it is no longer in his control and thus not wielded.

22. - Top - End - #3322
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Q 1631

If one has the feat Two Weapon Fighting, Gloves of the Balanced Hand (with Dexterity Upgrades), and a Wand of (or Ability to buff themselves with) Heroics, could they act as if they had the full Greater Two Weapon Fighting Line?

23. - Top - End - #3323
    Troll in the Playground

A 1631

Yes, as long as you have a Dex of 19 and +11 BAB.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-05-14 at 04:10 PM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

24. - Top - End - #3324
    Troll in the Playground

Q 1632: Can a Supernatural ability be channeled through a project image?

(I know that Complete Arcane has some verbiage about SLAs subbing in for spells with similar abilities, but I don't know of any such ruling for Su abilities - but I thought I'd check, in case there's something I'm missing.)
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

25. - Top - End - #3325
    Banned

Devil

Q1633
    Can a Free action be activated at the exact time as another action; such as Casting an Instantaneous effect spell?
    Last edited by Vaz; 2013-05-14 at 07:49 PM.

26. - Top - End - #3326
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 1634

Is there a feat and/or item that would allow a 5th level gnome wizard to pick up Bluff as a class skill? Don't want to multiclass if I can help it.

27. - Top - End - #3327
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1632 No.

You get only the capabilities stated in the spell description.

A 1633 Ask your DM.
    ACTIONS
    Every round, on your character’s turn, you may take a standard action and a move action (in either order), two move actions, or one full-round action. You may also perform one or more free actions along with any other action, as your DM allows.
    Exact details of how "along with any other action" works will be up to your individual DM.

A 1634 Maybe.

The feat Apprentice with a Criminal Mentor would work, if your DM supplied the appropriate mentor NPC. You would also need to use the feat retraining rules (Player's Handbook II), because this feat is available only at 1st level.

28. - Top - End - #3328
    Troll in the Playground

A 1634

two more very limited feats which you are probably going to have to multiclass to qualify for.

Greensinger Initiate: from Eberron Campaign Setting must be able to spontaneously cast Summon Nature's Ally.

Draconic Heritage (Chaos): from Races of the Dragon must be a sorcerer. (and sorcerers already have bluff)
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-05-14 at 11:15 PM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

29. - Top - End - #3329
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Q1624
    Is encumberance/weight of grapplers not taken into account while grappling? That is, can a Fighter with STR 30 (1600lbs heavy load) move/drag a Dire Bear (8000lbs) that he successfully grappled?

Q1625
    If it works, can one use it to travel using flying pets/familiar by grappling (or being grappled by) them?
    Bump!
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

30. - Top - End - #3330
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

I posted answer in "Wait again, that didn't work right" - the Dysfunctional Rules Collection thread in case someone wants to discuss, please let's do it there:

Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    A1624 Actually I think you can carry creatures without being slowed down at all

the bad news is every item you own counts for your encumbrance so bags of holding, mules and the likes are totally useless (as is leaving some items at home - they still are your items so they encumber you by RAW).

A1625Yes, but grappling is unnecessary, it could just carry you without penalty (because you are not it's item). Also remember that you can't grapple creature 2 sizes bigger than you.