New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 121 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324254065115 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

Q233

Can monk use stunning fist with flurry of blows? E.g. monk 11 lvl. 1st attack - SF, last 3 - simple unarmed attack.

3.5ed

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

A 233

Yes, as long as only one Stunning Fist attempt is made per round.

Q 219

Can somebody else give a full answer? rockdeworld's partial answer is how I would see it, were it not for the statement in the Player's Guide to Faerûn that magic can affect psionic effects, and at the same time states that there is no psionic-magic transparency.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q233-1
    So...
    Monk 11 lvl. Feat Freezing the Lifeblood. I'm using SF with flurry of blows. 1st attack SF (with feat i will be paralyzing). Will be last 3 attack coup de grace? Or coup de grace will be in the next round?

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

A 233-1

A coup de grace is a distinct full-round action, and not part of a full attack action. Your three other flurry attacks cannot be used to do a coup de grace, despite full attack also being a full-round action.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

B 234: What types of flying can hover without the hover feat.
    Last edited by killem2; 2012-12-16 at 02:29 PM.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

6. - Top - End - #426
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q235: I'm making an illumian (see Races of Destiny) character who wants to pursue the loredelver prestige class. To do this, you need to be a multiclass arcane spellcaster/trapfinding-enabled class. The skill requirements are 10 ranks in Decipher Script (class skill for wizards and rogues, so no problem there); Disable Device 5 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 10 ranks, and Knowledge (dungeoneering) 5 ranks. So my question is this: can I meet these requirements as a wizard 5/rogue 2? I ask because the Player's Handbook is as clear as mud on multiclassing and skill ranks.
    Last edited by Q. Flestrin; 2012-12-16 at 02:33 PM.
    I'm Mort and I make comics. http://beechwoodandbloom.smackjeeves.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Pratchett
    For the enemy is not Troll, nor is it Dwarf, but it is the baleful, the malign, the cowardly, the vessels of hatred, those who do a bad thing and call it good.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

A 234: A creature with perfect or good maneuverability can hover, despite the wording of the hover feat. The maneuverability entry in the Monster Manual describes good maneuverability as "very agile in the air, like a housefly or hummingbird" (note that both hummingbirds and houseflies can hover), then referring to the table on page 20 of the DMG, copied in the SRD, as Maneuverability.

This table authorizes creatures with good or perfect aerial maneuverability hover.

A 235: Yes. While skill ranks cost either 1 or 2 skill points, depending on whether or not the skill is a class skill at the time you purchase it, the maximum skill ranks in a skill is dependent only on if it was ever a class skill. See page 62 of the PHB.

Regardless of whether a skill is purchased as a class skill or a cross-class skill, if it is a class for any of your classes, your maximum rank equals your total character level +3.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-12-16 at 03:05 PM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

A 234

Good and perfect flying speed allows you to hover on the spot.

A 235

If you have enough skill points, yes.

Keep in mind that your skill rank maximum for your wizard 5 / rogue 2 (so a total character level of 7) in a class skill is 10, if at least one of your classes has the skill as a class skill.

However, if you were to level up in a class that does not have the skill as a class skill, each rank costs two skill points (or one skill point for half a rank).

To optimally spend your skill points when leveling up for loredelver, you should take your first level in wizard, investing the skill points of wizard in the necessary Knowledge skills, then take your second level in rogue, putting 5 skill points in Disable Device, and then again take wizard, until you fulfill the requirement.
    Taking a second level in rogue is optional, but can be helpful.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaEmil View Post
    A 234

Good and perfect flying speed allows you to hover on the spot.
    Q 236: Do good flying creatures have to use a move action to maintain hover? My DM is citing something from the WOTC site that says they do.
    Last edited by killem2; 2012-12-16 at 04:25 PM.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

A 236: No. I'm not sure what reference your DM is using, but per the Rules of the Game article, All About Movement (Part 4), hovering is a free action for creatures with good maneuverability. I'll quote the pertinent part for context:

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Williams
    Hover: Hover is the ability to stay in one place while airborne. As shown in the Dungeon Master's Guide, creatures with perfect or good maneuverability always have this ability. Less maneuverable creatures also might gain this ability via the Hover feat from the Monster Manual.

A creature with perfect maneuverability can hover as a free action and remain airborne.

A creature with good maneuverability also can hover as free action. It can instead hover as a move action and, as part of that move action, can move at half speed in any direction it likes (including straight up, straight down, or backward). Before or after it moves, the hovering creature can turn to face any direction it likes. When it stops hovering, it can resume ordinary flight in any direction in which it could normally fly.

A creature with less than good maneuverability, such as a harpy, that gains the ability to hover from the Hover feat, must use a move action to switch from normal flight to hovering. It can then use another move action (if it has one available during the current turn), to move at half speed in any direction it likes (including straight up, straight down, or backward). Before or after it does this hovering movement, the creature can turn to face any direction it likes. When it stops hovering, the creature can resume ordinary flight in any direction in which it could normally fly.

If a creature begins its turn hovering, it can hover in place for the turn (no matter what its maneuverability) and take a full-round action. A hovering creature cannot make wing attacks, but it can attack with all other limbs and appendages it could use in a full attack. The creature can instead use a breath weapon or cast a spell instead of making physical attacks, if it could normally do so.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    A 236: No. I'm not sure what reference your DM is using, but per the Rules of the Game article, All About Movement (Part 4), hovering is a free action for creatures with good maneuverability. I'll quote the pertinent part for context:
    That is exactly what he read to me. So in this article is good ANY different than Perfect? is there any reason to go perfect flying in the case of hovering and taking actions?

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    That is exactly what he read to me. So in this article is good ANY different than Perfect? is there any reason to go perfect flying in the case of hovering and taking actions?
    C236 I'd suggest opening a new thread, but in brief: perfect allows tighter turns and sharper reversal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

13. - Top - End - #433
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    C236 I'd suggest opening a new thread, but in brief: perfect allows tighter turns and sharper reversal.
    Perfect also allows moving upwards at full speed.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

14. - Top - End - #434
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q237

Is there any spell or item that can be used as a beacon for a specific creature, preferably not the caster, in a way that the creature instinctively knows it's exact location?
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q238

The spell Incorporeal Nova is a Necromancy (Death) spell that says it affects incorporeal creatures and creatures in gaseous form. Wraiths, Ghosts, Shadows, Spectors, and gaseous Vampires are called out as being affected, but Undead are immune to Death effects. Does this spell bypass that immunity?

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

Repost:
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Q 230

Is there a way to get outsiders as one of the favorite forms for Master Transmogrifist?

Q 231

Is there a class that lets you change into an outsider at will besides the Warlock with Word of Changing? [Edit]Dang, I confused Neverwinter Nights 2 with actual D&D.[/Edit]
    Q 239

Has the Bone Creature template from BoVD been updated to 3.5?

Q 240

Can swarms move more than their speed? can they run?

17. - Top - End - #437

PaladinGuy

Q235-1 I think I understand how this works now; I always thought that if you were a wizard who took a level in rogue, you would only be able to use your 8 + Int modifier new skill points as if you were a rogue. But this brings me to another question: Can my wizard 1, leveling up to rogue 1, with a 16 Intelligence and the commensurate 11 skill points, spend 5 skill points on Disable Device, 4 on Open Lock, and 2 on Knowledge (arcana)? This means that none of the skills are over maximum rank, but I still don't think it's exactly legal to do this.
    I'm Mort and I make comics. http://beechwoodandbloom.smackjeeves.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Pratchett
    For the enemy is not Troll, nor is it Dwarf, but it is the baleful, the malign, the cowardly, the vessels of hatred, those who do a bad thing and call it good.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

A235-1 No

You are correct in that this is not legal. The issue is with Knowledge (Arcana).

Since it has been a class skill at some point in your career, your maximum ranks is indeed 5 at level 2. But it is not a class skill for your shiny new rogue level: if you want to gain two ranks in Knowledge (Arcana) as a rogue, you will need to spend four skill points, since it's cross-class.

EDIT: rockdeworld is quite correct. Spending the skill points as described is indeed possible. It does not, however, gain you two ranks in Knowledge (Arcana).
    Last edited by Ianuagonde; 2012-12-17 at 09:49 AM.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A237 partial
    The spell Discern Location works exactly this way, but it's single-use.
    Ring Gates allow you to stick your head through them to see the other person's location, but they're neither instinctive nor infallible (the other gate can be taken away).

A238
    Note that Death effects are not the same as spells with the [Death] descriptor, both as a Death effect merely redirects to Death Attack, and as they are clearly separated in the Death Ward spell. So undead immunity doesn't apply.

A239
    No.

A240
    Yes, by taking two move actions or running. They can run. (Also, sorry I can't answer your other two questions due to lack of knowledge.)

A235-1 Correction
    Yes. The 2 points spent on Knowledge(Arcana) equate to 1 rank (2 points * 0.5 ranks/point) because Know(Arcana) isn't a class skill for rogues. You can have 5 ranks in Know(Arcana) at level 2 since your first level was Wizard.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2012-12-17 at 08:20 AM.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q241
    Fighter 11th lvl. He has 3 attacks +11/+6/+1. Can he use Power Attack with all 3 attacks?
    Last edited by Kred; 2012-12-17 at 12:13 PM.

21. - Top - End - #441

PirateCaptain

A241 Yes. In fact if power attack is used that round, it MUST be applied to every iterative attack that round. You cannot choose to use it for one and not others. Thus the penalty to attack rolls and the bonus to damage rolls applies to every attack.

Q242 I keep running across abilities dependent on "class level". In some cases these seem completely broken if they in fact take into account all the class levels of a given character. In other cases they seem too weak if they're not. With examples of a Contemplative's "Divine Soul" class feature, and a Primal Scholar's "Secret of Power": Do abilities that specify class level indicate the class level only in the given class in the entry? Or do they imply ALL of a character's class levels?

22. - Top - End - #442
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

A241 Yes (but Technically No)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Power Attack
    you may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls
    emphasis by me.

You CAN use Power attack on multiple attacks (iteratives, TWF, AoOs, Snap Kick, Haste, etc.), but it must be the same amount for all attacks.

EDIT: Swordsage'd. But I have the quote ;)

A242
    Class level refers to the level for that class only.
    Otherwise it should denoted as Character level or HD

There are cases in which WotC simply wrote "level" (BoED, Annointed Knight), in which case the ruling is unclear afaik.
    Last edited by MrLemon; 2012-12-17 at 12:18 PM.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q243

And what about frenzied berserker: according to his table - there is no extra attack. But does it stack with fighter extra attacks? And can he use supreme power attack with all his attacks (not in frenzy)?

24. - Top - End - #444
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

A243
    Not all extra attacks are denoted in Statblocks.
    BUT, PA (as well as Imp. & Sup. PA) always applies to ALL attacks in that round.
    For example, if your Fighter/FB with BAB of 11 makes a full attack during frenzy he rolls
    +11/+11/+6/+1 (+STR, Weapon Bonus, etc.)
    He rolls AoOs this round with +11
    Should he PA with a penalty of, say, -4, he instead rolls
    +7/+7/+2/-3 (again++)
    AoOs are now rolled using his modified highest attack bonus, i.e. +7

As an aside, I get the idea that your understanding of iterative attacks are wrong. You get the extra attack at the lower attack bonus, when your BAB reaches 6, 11, or 16, which is not necessarily on the class levels indicated in the respective tables when you are multiclassing.
    (A fighter 4, wizard 4 has a BAB of +6, so he gets the second attack at -5, even though he has neither 6 levels of fighter nor 12 levels of wizard)
    Last edited by MrLemon; 2012-12-17 at 12:28 PM.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Thanks for the explanation. Сatch another question.

Q244

Same fighter (name Boris) 16th lvl. 4 attack +16/+11/+6/+1. He has 2 weapon and Greater TWF feat. How much attack he can do? And can he do it with PA?
    Last edited by Kred; 2012-12-17 at 03:30 PM.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Barbarian in the Playground

A244

When making a full attack, you'll get one attack with each weapon at +16, one with each at +11, one with each at +6, and one with your primary weapon only at +1, for a total of 7 attacks. All 7 attacks would have a -4 penalty for using two weapons, or a -2 penalty if your off-hand weapon is light.

When you are using power attack, it doesn't matter how many attacks you are making. You could make 1 attack, or you could make 100 attacks. The penalty applies to all attacks you make, including attacks of opportunities, until the start of your next turn, as does the extra damage.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q245
    I know that you can't counterspell a spell-like ability, but once it's cast it can be dispelled like any other spell effect, right? But if a creature used a spell-like ability which required a touch attack (like an Inflict Critical Wounds SLA), and you had been prepared to counterspell with Greater Dispel Magic, could you use that prepared Greater Dispel Magic on the creature's limb onto which it was holding the touch spell, dispelling it before it gets the chance to actually hit you with the attack?

28. - Top - End - #448
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kumori View Post
    A244

When making a full attack, you'll get one attack with each weapon at +16, one with each at +11, one with each at +6, and one with your primary weapon only at +1, for a total of 7 attacks. All 7 attacks would have a -4 penalty for using two weapons, or a -2 penalty if your off-hand weapon is light.
    But what about penalties?
    TWF feat: -4 -4 (2 attacks)
    Improved TWF: -4 -4 -5 (3)
    Greater TWF: -4 -4 -5 -10
    So how it will be?

29. - Top - End - #449
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

A244
    Using Boris from above. He wields 2 weapons, that are NOT light weapons:
    BAB +16
    Full Attack Sequence (without any PA): +12/+12/+7/+7/+2/+2/-1

TWF allows you to make another attack with your offhand. The price is the -4 penalty on all attacks (or -2 if using at least one light weapon)
    Improved, Greater und Perfect TWF "unlock" the iterative attacks (the ones with -5,-10 and -15) with the second weapon.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MrLemon View Post
    A244
    Using Boris from above. He wields 2 weapons, that are NOT light weapons:
    BAB +16
    Full Attack Sequence (without any PA): +12/+12/+7/+7/+2/+2/-1

TWF allows you to make another attack with your offhand. The price is the -4 penalty on all attacks (or -2 if using at least one light weapon)
    Improved, Greater und Perfect TWF "unlock" the iterative attacks (the ones with -5,-10 and -15) with the second weapon.
    Doh...perhaps i become too stupid at night.
    I dont understand about penalties.
    Lets take it without TWF feat. Penalty -6 -10 (main, off). What will be full attack sequence?