New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 54 of 121 FirstFirst ... 42944454647484950515253545556575859606162636479104 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 3609
  1. - Top - End - #1591
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

Q 719

Would Tatoos on a characters body be a valid target for an Animate Object spell?

If so, would it be possible to control them/have them take directions?

And would they still be attached to the body and thus something you can't remove to sell?
    "I Burn!"

2. - Top - End - #1592
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 717 follow up

Yes, spells without an attack roll will naturally receive no benefit from the attack bonus of Knowledge Devotion, but would still benefit from the feat's damage bonus.

A 719 No.

A tattoo is a change in the pigment of the skin, created by inserting ink. A part of a creature's body is not a valid target for a spell requiring an object.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-02-13 at 10:34 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1593
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 720 If I use weapon and torch (from dungeonscape) and have sneak attack damage, is the torch strike also eligible for sneak attack damage (so I would get to deal it twice)?

4. - Top - End - #1594
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q721
    Does psion can take any power from psion/wilder power list (in spite of his specialization)? Or he can only take his discipline powers from psion/wilder list?
    Last edited by Kred; 2013-02-13 at 01:40 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1595
    Ettin in the Playground

A 720

Yes, if the attack for the torch is still eligible for sneak attack, such as when you are flanking or remained hidden during the first attack.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-02-13 at 12:27 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1596
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q719 follow-up Would psionic tattoos count as objects, since they are listed as items in the Expanded Psionics Handbook? OP, even if they aren't valid targets, by RAW you can make psionic tattoos move on your body or to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Expanded Psionics Handbook, page 170
    A psionic tattoo inscribed on a wearer is potentially more mobile than a mundane tattoo. As a standard action, the wearer can will the tattoo to move to a different part of his body or onto the skin of any willing (or unconscious) living creature he touches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

7. - Top - End - #1597
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 719 follow-up

Yes, a psionic tattoo is an attended object. As you pointed out, unlike a physical tattoo it's transient rather than a part of the body.

8. - Top - End - #1598
    Halfling in the Playground

Q722

Part 1:
    Would a creature 5 ft-stepping out of a grease covered square (per Grease spell) be forced to make the DC 10 Balance check?

Part 2:
    Would a creature trying to get up in a grease covered square be forced to make the Balance check?

Part 3:
    What about a creature attacking from said square?
    "She was indeed the proud daughter of a thousand jeddaks, every inch of her dear, precious little body; so small, so frail beside the towering warriors around her, but in her majesty dwarfing them into insignificance; she was the mightiest figure among them and I verily believe that they felt it. "

A Princess of Mars, Edgar Rice Burroughs

9. - Top - End - #1599
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 722

Part 1. N/A.
    That isn't an available option. If you attempted to take a 5' step at half normal speed as required by the spell you would only move 2.5', and that means you would not leave your square.

Part 2. No. The Balance check is required if you "walk within or through" the affected area. Standing up isn't walking.

Part 3. No. Attacking also isn't walking.

10. - Top - End - #1600
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 721

A psion can take any power from the general psion/wilder power list, or one from their specific discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Psion Powers Known
    Choose the powers known from the psion power list, or from the list of powers of your chosen discipline. You cannot choose powers from restricted discipline lists other than your own discipline list.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

11. - Top - End - #1601
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q723
    Is there any sort of non-creature-focused Scrying ability or item? Basically something that allows the user to see somewhere far away, perhaps including a creature in that area, but hopefully something that can't be negated by a save.
    The goal is to use it for a long range archer/sniper, who uses it to see their target (since several thousand feet of distance imposes a serious Spot penalty). So far the best I can think of is casting Chain of Eyes on a fast bird or something, but that's not ideal.

12. - Top - End - #1602
    Titan in the Playground

Q724
    Can a 1st level beguiler or warmage cast 2nd level spells with the use of versatile caster? Or are they limited to spell of the level they could normally cast?

13. - Top - End - #1603
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    Q723
    Is there any sort of non-creature-focused Scrying ability or item? Basically something that allows the user to see somewhere far away, perhaps including a creature in that area, but hopefully something that can't be negated by a save.
    The goal is to use it for a long range archer/sniper, who uses it to see their target (since several thousand feet of distance imposes a serious Spot penalty). So far the best I can think of is casting Chain of Eyes on a fast bird or something, but that's not ideal.
    A723 Partial:
    Clairaudience/Clairvoyance is the classic answer.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

14. - Top - End - #1604
    Titan in the Playground

Q 725 Could a Wish spell be used to remove the level adjustment gained from a template?

Exp: Wizard Casts Wish, and Reduces his Half Dragon Fighter Cohorts LA to +0.

Q 726 Can a Wish Spell be used to gain extra Limbs not normal to a race template combination?

Exp: Wizard Casts Wish, and gives his Half Dragon half human Cohort a pair of functioning Wings (With a buffet attack.), and a tail (With a corresponding attack.) .

Q 727 If yes to both, can one casting do both at once or would that be too much for a single casting?
    "I Burn!"

15. - Top - End - #1605
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 725 No.

Removing a level adjustment is equivalent to gaining a level of experience. Every 4 levels that entails incrementing an ability score, plus all the class abilities for that level. Also, some prestige classes increase ability scores, such as the War Hulk (Miniatures Handbook): +2 STR/level. A single Wish score can increment an ability score, but that power has restrictions (limit of one increment for an ability ever, unless Wishes are cast back-to-back(-to-back)). As such, this is clearly a greater effect than any listed in the spell description.

A 726 Maybe.

Such things can be obtained in the form of grafts, which are non-magical after creation. If the total cost of these grafts is within the 25,000 gp limit of Wish, the answer is yes; otherwise, it's no. For example, Membranous Wings (Fiend Folio, page 211) would satisfy part of your intent, but the graft's cost of 50,000 gp puts it well outside what a single Wish can deliver.

A 727 N/A.

16. - Top - End - #1606
    Ettin in the Playground

A 725 Addendum

This may be possible, as it is possible to wish for something more than the things listed inm the description. This however is at the iscretion of the DM and bad things might happen to the person who wishe something like that.

A 726/727 Addendum

As above.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-02-14 at 01:03 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1607
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Q 725 Could a Wish spell be used to remove the level adjustment gained from a template?

Exp: Wizard Casts Wish, and Reduces his Half Dragon Fighter Cohorts LA to +0.
    Not explicitly, but note that LA Paydown is an option in Unearthed Arcana, so you might look at that avenue.

Q 726 Can a Wish Spell be used to gain extra Limbs not normal to a race template combination?

Exp: Wizard Casts Wish, and gives his Half Dragon half human Cohort a pair of functioning Wings (With a buffet attack.), and a tail (With a corresponding attack.) .
    This is the equivalent of casting Girallion Arms and Permanency, which is relatively reasonable (though it's two spells, not one... if I were you, I'd just cast those spells instead of the Wish).

Q 727 If yes to both, can one casting do both at once or would that be too much for a single casting?
    Well, I'd be nervous about trying it.

JaronK

18. - Top - End - #1608
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    This is the equivalent of casting Girallion Arms and Permanency, which is relatively reasonable (though it's two spells, not one... if I were you, I'd just cast those spells instead of the Wish).
    You cannot use permanency on Girallon's Blessing. Permanency has an explicit list, which spells can be made permanent, Girallon's Blessing is not on that list. I'm not aware of a spell called Girallon Arms.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-02-14 at 02:06 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1609
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    You cannot use permanency on Girallon's Blessing. Permanency has an explicit list, which spells can be made permanent, Girallon's Blessing is not on that list. I'm not aware of a spell called Girallon Arms.
    Check Savage Species. It extends the permanency list to include that spell.

JaronK

20. - Top - End - #1610
    Ettin in the Playground

Check Savage Species. It extends the permanency list to include that spell.
    I'm not sure if a 3.0 splat book can override the 3.5 PHB because of the primary sources rule.

21. - Top - End - #1611
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I think specific overrides general here, especially considering Grallion's Blessing isn't even in the PHB.

JaronK

22. - Top - End - #1612
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 728

The bleeding from the Wounding ability of Bat Swarms is not cumulative. A creature that has been damaged multiple times by a Bat Swarm still bleeds one hp per round.

The bleeding from the Infernal Wound ability of Bearded Devils is unclear. It seems that it is cumulative, because it hasn't been mentioned (referring to Bat Swarm). A creature that has been damaged seven times by the glaive of a Bearded Devil bleeds 14 per round.

Does this mean that if it's not specifically mentioned, wounds caused by wounding abilities are cumulative?

23. - Top - End - #1613
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question 729

Can you both activate Travel Devotion and use its movement ability in the same round (excluding RKV)?
    "Live to the point of tears." ~ Albert Camus
    Avatar by Josh L., used with permission

24. - Top - End - #1614
    Ettin in the Playground

I think specific overrides general here, especially considering Grallion's Blessing isn't even in the PHB.
    The primary source rule (errata p. 1) however is the opposite of what you write. The 3.5 PHB is the primary source for permanency.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-02-14 at 09:31 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1615
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Such things can be obtained in the form of grafts, which are non-magical after creation. If the total cost of these grafts is within the 25,000 gp limit of Wish, the answer is yes; otherwise, it's no. For example, Membranous Wings (Fiend Folio, page 211) would satisfy part of your intent, but the graft's cost of 50,000 gp puts it well outside what a single Wish can deliver.
    The same section of Fiend Folio also contains Feathered Wings which only cost 10,000 and are well within the price range of the spell however. If you don't mind having fluffy angel wings that are made of pure evil...

26. - Top - End - #1616
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q 730

If i lose intellect bonus should i substract points from my skills?
    Last edited by Kred; 2013-02-14 at 10:43 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1617
    Bugbear in the Playground

A729 No. WIthout RKV's Divine Impetus or some other ability or effect granting you more than one swift action a round, you cannot activate and use Travel Devotion in the same round because both require a swift action.

28. - Top - End - #1618
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 728

All damage stacks unless there's an explicit exception.

A 729 Maybe; ask your DM.
    Once per day as a swift action, you can activate this ability to move up to your speed as a swift action each round.
    Because of the "each round" qualifier, as opposed to "each subsequent round", it can be read that the activation (a swift action) and use (a swift action) are required to be the same swift action in the initial round. Ask your DM.

A 730 No.

You don't get any more skill points for having a bonus to Intelligence (except for inherent bonuses, which I believe the game has no mechanism to "lose"), and you don't lose any existing skill ranks for a reduction in Intelligence. Only future skill point gains could be affected.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-02-14 at 10:56 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1619
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 731

Are there other sources for inherent bonuses to ability scores besides the wish spell and the tomes/manuals?

Q 732

Can an inherent bonus to an ability score granted by wish be dispelled?

30. - Top - End - #1620
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 731 partial

A Miracle spell can grant an inherent bonus to an ability score. (Either Wish or Miracle can be used to create a Tome or Manual.)

A 732 No.

Only ongoing spell effects can be dispelled (or suppressed in an Antimagic Field). An inherent bonus is the result of magic, but is not in itself magical.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-02-14 at 11:26 AM.