New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 56 of 121 FirstFirst ... 63146474849505152535455565758596061626364656681106 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,680 of 3609
  1. - Top - End - #1651
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 740 Request for Clarification

This is from the answer that was given:
    Your Swordsage level 1 stance selection is limited to a single one at level 1, again from these specified disciplines.
    Am I restricted to a single stance from the list of 1st level maneuvers from a swordsage discipline? I have heard debate on this revolving on the line in the swordsage class description on stances known to the effect "when you begin play" which doesn't seem to apply to those multiclassing into swordsage at higher level. Not sure how crazy fringe this argument is, so I could use some clarification.

Thanks in advance.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

2. - Top - End - #1652
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    Am I restricted to a single stance from the list of 1st level maneuvers from a swordsage discipline? I have heard debate on this revolving on the line in the swordsage class description on stances known to the effect "when you begin play" which doesn't seem to apply to those multiclassing into swordsage at higher level. Not sure how crazy fringe this argument is, so I could use some clarification.

Thanks in advance.
    Yes, you're restricted to a level 1 stance when you begin play as a Swordsage. Here are the relevant rules.

The "begin play" statement is part of the Class Features section of the Swordsage class. The Player's Handbook dictates the steps you follow whenever you attain a new class level on pages 58-59. The instructions for the last step:
    9. Class Features: Check your character’s class description in this chapter for any new capabilities your character may receive. Many characters gain special attacks or new special powers as they advance in levels.
    On your first level in the Swordsage class, "Stances Known" is a new capability for your character. You follow the rule there:
    Stances Known: You begin play with knowledge of one 1st-level stance from any discipline open to you. At 2nd, 5th, 9th, 14th, and 20th level, you can choose additional stances.
    Because the PH dictates that you only reference the Class Features section of a class when you attain a new level, you "begin play" in a class when that's new for your character: i.e., always at the first level in each class. There is no global "begin play" in the rules; it's only a feature of individual classes. Just as "level" inside the "Stances Known" paragraph refers to levels only in that class, "begin play" in the same paragraph also refers specifically to that class.

3. - Top - End - #1653
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Q 752If I use Shadow Evocation to emulate (Sanctum Spelled) Contingency do I have to keep focus of Contingency with me?

4. - Top - End - #1654
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q753 Is there any way of making an illusion of a weapon deal damage to the target as if it was a normal weapon? Would ranged weapons require something different to melee weapons?

5. - Top - End - #1655
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 754

Is there a spell to either create onyx or transform other readily available material into onyx?

6. - Top - End - #1656
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Last edited by ahenobarbi; 2013-02-17 at 08:08 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1657
    Bugbear in the Playground

C 754 Note that you cannot use major creation'd onyx as a material component (I only mention this because the first thing that occurred to me when I read onyx was animate dead)

8. - Top - End - #1658
    Ogre in the Playground

Q755 Is an Ultimate Magus an arcane spell casting class?
    Last edited by Ruethgar; 2013-02-17 at 11:40 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1659
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A755

No. Ultimate Magus advances the spellcasting of other classes, but does not provide any spellcasting of its own.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

10. - Top - End - #1660
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Q 756 Deepwarden allows to replace Dex bonus to AC with Con bonus. Is this bonus limited by armor "Maximum Dex Bonus" (link to PrC description)?

11. - Top - End - #1661
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 756 Yes, this is limited by the armor max Dex bonus. The Con AC bonus is lost whenever the Dex AC bonus would be lost - such as when putting on a normal suit of mountain plate (Max Dex bonus 0)...

12. - Top - End - #1662
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 757
    hey guys just a short question:
    Can familiars (and extended Psicrystals) deliver ranged touch attacks like for example scorching ray or Energy ray through "Deliver Touch Power"

sorry if that question already has been asked but I can't find it through google and going through all the pages here would take too long
    Last edited by Siltharon; 2013-02-17 at 03:08 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1663
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siltharon View Post
    Can familiars (and extended Psicrystals) deliver ranged touch attacks like for example scorching ray or Energy ray through "Deliver Touch Power"

sorry if that question already has been asked but I can't find it through google and going through all the pages here would take too long
    A757: No. The text appears to imply that a "touch spell" is one that has a range of touch (i.e., 0 ft).
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

14. - Top - End - #1664
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Siltharon View Post

Hi please add number to your question (to keep this thread in order). Like:

Q 757

and when answering also include question number (to let others know what are you answering), like:

A 757
    No. This feature allows familiar to deliver only touch spells. It doesn't say anything about allowing ranged touch spells.

Nitpick
    Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    A757: No. The text appears to imply that a "touch spell" is one that has a range of touch (i.e., 0 ft).
    Typically (for (most) small and medium creatures) touch has 5 ft range, not 0 ft range.
    Last edited by ahenobarbi; 2013-02-17 at 03:13 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1665
    Orc in the Playground

Q 758

If you use hypnotism on someone you've charmed via charm person, do you turn the person fanatic for the suggestion you make? (charm person makes them friendly. hypnotism when used to suggest makes them 2 levels more friendly in attitude, from friendly 2 levels up to fanatic.)

16. - Top - End - #1666
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 759: Moved to its own thread
    Last edited by killem2; 2013-02-18 at 02:34 PM.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

17. - Top - End - #1667
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q 760: I am a half-elf theif in 3.5e. When I get backstab extra damage is it an auto extra dice of damage or is it a multiplyer like x2 or x3?

18. - Top - End - #1668
    Titan in the Playground

Q761What would be the damage die for a medium weapon that is normally large and deals 2d6? I am talking about the Hellspear which is a weapon introduced in FCII; but only on the statblock of a large devil whose name I don't recall. The problem is that the Table: Larger and Smaller Weapon Damage table in the SRD has two possible damage values (1d8 and 2d4) and I am not sure which one I should use.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

19. - Top - End - #1669

OldWizardGuy

Q 762

Can you get a spellbook with more than one hundred pages in it?

Q 763

Can you (as a wizard) prepare spells from multiple spellbooks if you personally filled all the spellbooks in question?

Q 764

Can somebody besides your character make a spellcraft check to put spells into your spellbook?

20. - Top - End - #1670
    Titan in the Playground

A760: Extra dice.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD Rogue
    Sneak Attack
    If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.
    A761: Uncertain. There's really not enough information to be sure, so pick one. 1d8; perhaps, it's more common.

A762: Yes. Boccob's Blessed Book has 1000 pages.
    A763: Yes. There's no particular reason to suppose a spellbook stops being yours if you get another one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

21. - Top - End - #1671
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 764 Yes.

Anyone can write anything they want (spells, poetry, grocery lists) into a spellbook; it's just a blank book. If the writing is a spell, only the person who made the Spellcraft check to put it there can read it normally. Everyone else, including the owner of the book, would need to treat that writing as a "borrowed" spellbook.

22. - Top - End - #1672
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q765
    Is there a reason to be a silverbrow human archivist besides the Primal series of spells? I'm not sure that there's a way to get the rest of the dragonblooded bonus spells as divine.
    "Live to the point of tears." ~ Albert Camus
    Avatar by Josh L., used with permission

23. - Top - End - #1673
    Bugbear in the Playground

A765 This isn't reallw a RAW question, as there could be as many reasons for playing a specific race/class combination as there are players. For instance, access to dragonblooded feats and a bonus to Disguise are other reasons to play as a Silverbrow Human. If you wish to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of a specific combination, this would make a good topic for its own thread.

24. - Top - End - #1674
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q766

is it possible an unaware mage bypass explosive runes without triggering it?

he wont dispell the scroll because he doesnt know whether explosive or not..

25. - Top - End - #1675
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

A766
    I not too sure I understood the question.
    I will assume
    Quote Originally Posted by Q766 Revised
    Is it possible for an unaware Character to pass by Explosive Runes without triggering it?
    Yes. They are only activated on reading.

Also, since you have to stand right next to them to read them (as per spell description), the runes are small enough not to be read by every single passersby.

26. - Top - End - #1676
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Q767 If a Rogue has Spring Attack and uses it, can he sneak attack with it?
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour is that moment when they have worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of the battle... victorius."- Vince Lombardi

"Hey, I don't make the rules, I just twist them to my purpose." -Celia (Order Of The Stick)

27. - Top - End - #1677
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roto View Post
    Q767 If a Rogue has Spring Attack and uses it, can he sneak attack with it?
    A767
    Like all attacks that involve attack rolls and deal damage, a Rogue can make a Sneak Attack with a Spring Attack provided the attack meets all other criteria required for a Sneak Attack in any other circumstance.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

28. - Top - End - #1678

MindFlayer

Q767
    How do you determine what intelligence boosts add to skill points? Do inherent bonuses? Does the bonus from warp touch (BoVD)? Extract gift? Greater visage of the deity, assuming someone managed 100% uptime of the spell from 17th-20th level? Necrotic empowerment with 100% uptime?

Q768
    If your intelligence gets drained, do you temporarily lose skill points?

29. - Top - End - #1679
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Guess 767 I believe only racial and inherent Int bonuses get you skill ranks but I'm not sure / can't find rules source for this.

A 768 No, you don't.

Q 769Mighty Wallop (and greater version) increase base weapon damage for bludgeoning weapons. Are there similar spells that work with different damage types?
    Last edited by ahenobarbi; 2013-02-18 at 04:00 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1680
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 767

The answer is on page 58 of Player's Handbook:
    Your character's Intelligence modifier affects the number of skill points he or she gets at each level ... Use your character's current Intelligence score, including all permanent changes (such as inherent bonuses, ability drains, or an Intelligence increase gained at step 4, above) but not any temporary changes (such as ability damage, or enhancement bonuses gained from spells or magic items, such as a headband of intellect), to determine the number of skill points you gain.
    Spell changes which are not inherent do not change your skill points. That includes Permanent duration spells, which are not actually permanent (despite the name), but rather only last until dispelled.