New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 79 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2954697071727374757677787980818283848586878889104 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,370 of 3609
  1. - Top - End - #2341
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    Q 1176

I feel silly asking this, but...Can you target yourself with a ray spell projected from your eyes (as Ocular Spell allows you to do)?
    A 1176. Yes. Do note that you must still make the ranged touch attack against your own touch AC in order to succeed on this, as is normal for rays.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2013-03-19 at 07:29 AM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

2. - Top - End - #2342
    Pixie in the Playground

Q. 1177

If you have Improved Favored Enemy, Favored Enemy:Evil from Slayer of Kharesh, and Favored Enemy Undead from Ranger, would IFE stack with both if you were fighting a zombie? Would you have an effective +9 (+3 IFE FE:Evil, +3 IFE FE:Undead, +2 FE:Undead, +1 FE:Evil) damage vs the zombie?

FE:Evil from Slayer of Kharesh says it stacks with other favored enemy bonuses from Ranger or other sources.

Improved Favored Enemy: You deal an extra 3 points of damage to your favored enemies. This benefit stacks with any existing favored enemy bonus gained from
    another class.
    Last edited by Semada; 2013-03-19 at 08:17 AM.

3. - Top - End - #2343
    Ogre in the Playground

A 1177: You don't get IFE twice. So your bonus would be +6.

All the bonuses stack with each other, but you don't get the IFE bonus twice because of the rules on stacking:

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession).

So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

4. - Top - End - #2344
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

A 1174 Additional

The Whirling weapon enhancement allows you to attack all opponents within reach of the weapon three times per day. See Magic Item Compendium p 46 for details.

5. - Top - End - #2345
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Ianuagonde View Post
    Q 1172

The Fling Ally feat (Races of Stone) provides rules for throwing your allies if you have the feat, but lacks a 'Normal' section to describe the rules if you don't have it. Is it possible to throw your allies if you don't have this feat? If so, how exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    A 1172

I don't know of any rules for it, but I would imagine it falls in the province of a Strength check.
    I get the feeling there is no simple RAW answer. Thanks for the effort, I'll start up a separate thread.

6. - Top - End - #2346
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGuy

Q1173

Is there any way to sneak attack or critical
    1. Plants?
    2. Elemental?
    3. Oozes?
    4. Things with the Heavy Fortification armor enhancement? (even lowering their 100% reduction rate?)
    Last edited by DarkSonic1337; 2013-03-19 at 11:49 AM.

7. - Top - End - #2347
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1173

For sneak attack:
    1. yes
    2. yes
    3. no
    4. yes

But I guess that is not all you wanted to know. Lightbringer Penetrating Strike (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft) and Penetrating Strike (Dungeonscape) allow you to deal half your sneak attack dice against such foes if you flank them. It does not work on oozes because they cannot be flanked. Heavy fortification+Improved uncanny dodge would also negate that.

The spell Vine Strike (Spell Compendium) allows you to inflict full sneak attack damage against plants.

I'm not aware of any way to inflict critical hits on those targets.

8. - Top - End - #2348
    Titan in the Playground

Q 1174 If I enter an area of spike growth /spike stones, make my save, and then exit and reenter later, do I need to make another save? or is one save ever good to render me immune to its rider effect?
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

9. - Top - End - #2349
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

A 1173 Additional

Attaching a Greater Demolition Crystal (Magic Item Compenium 65) to a weapon allows sneak attacks and critical hits vs constructs. A Greater Truedeath Crystal (MIC 66) does the same for undead.

The Spark of Life spell (Spell Compendium 196) makes an undead vulnerable to critical hits (and thus, to sneak attacks). The Golem Strike spell (SC 106) makes constructs vulnerable to sneak attacks, but not critical hits. The Grave Strike spell (SC 107) has the same effects on undead.

EDIT: Answering questions that aren't asked. My apologies.
    Last edited by Ianuagonde; 2013-03-20 at 07:28 AM.

10. - Top - End - #2350
    Ettin in the Playground

That is correct, Ianuagonde, but not an answer to Q 1173. Undead and constructs were not part of the question.

11. - Top - End - #2351
    Troll in the Playground

Q 1175

Is there a wizard spell of the Abjuration school that provides an armor bonus to AC? Like mage armor, but that's Conjuration so it doesn't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #2352
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 1175

Luminous armor and greater luminous armor (from Book of Exalted Deeds) are the only ones I know of. I think there's also something like ectoplasmic armor in one of the Completes that grants an Armor Bonus, but only against incorporeals, so I tend to ignore that one.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2013-03-19 at 03:40 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

13. - Top - End - #2353

Q 1176

If a Druid's animal companion reaches sufficient hit dice that it advances in size, can it grow to the next size category? All logic seems to say yes, but I think I read somewhere that animal companions can't grow in size due to bonus hit dice (though, in turn, I can't seem to find where I might have read that).

14. - Top - End - #2354
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    Q 1176

If a Druid's animal companion reaches sufficient hit dice that it advances in size, can it grow to the next size category? All logic seems to say yes, but I think I read somewhere that animal companions can't grow in size due to bonus hit dice (though, in turn, I can't seem to find where I might have read that).
    A 1176

No. A Druid's animal companion is typical of its kind. It cannot be a creature that has been subject to monster advancement. While animal companions gain bonus hit dice, this is an entirely different mechanic and there is no reason to conflate the two, since the bonus hit dice are not limited by the animal's advancement entry.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

15. - Top - End - #2355
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q 1177

How long would it take an average PC on foot to reach the top of a mountain that's 10,000 feet high? At what point does the PC stop walking and start having to make Climb checks (at a quarter speed)? How many Fortitude saves against fatigue will the PC have to make?

16. - Top - End - #2356
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callum View Post
    Q 1177

How long would it take an average PC on foot to reach the top of a mountain that's 10,000 feet high? At what point does the PC stop walking and start having to make Climb checks (at a quarter speed)? How many Fortitude saves against fatigue will the PC have to make?
    A 1177

Mountains aren't game mechanical entities on their own. A mountain is simply a collection of various sorts of appropriate terrain. Any relevant DCs and speeds will correspond to what path the PC is taking, based on the map the DM made.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

17. - Top - End - #2357
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    A 1175

Luminous armor and greater luminous armor (from Book of Exalted Deeds) are the only ones I know of.
    Haha, thanks. I just hope my DM will allow these, because I think I'll be able to get my Abjurant Champion's AC over 40 by 11th level with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #2358
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 1178

Does the -3 to ACP that is gained from mithril armor include the reduction from being masterwork, or is that extra?

19. - Top - End - #2359
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1178 It's included.

20. - Top - End - #2360

Q MCLXXIX: Is it possible in RAW to take longer than written to perform an action? For example, casting a Standard Action spell as a full-round action, by speaking more slowly or something?

21. - Top - End - #2361
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q1180

With the rangers Favoured Enemy ability, does one select a specific monster or a group?
    Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Cleric: "You siphon power from a water spirit?"

Binder: "I was into tributaries before they were mainstream."

22. - Top - End - #2362
    Ogre in the Playground

A 1180: You select a group from the provided table.

23. - Top - End - #2363

DrowGuy

Q1181
    I have several questions about the stormguard warrior feat, specifically combat rhythm

Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords, p. 36

Combat Rhythm: To use this option, you can choose to make melee touch attacks in place of normal melee attacks against an opponent. These touch attacks deal no damage. For each melee touch attack that hits, you gain a +5 bonus on melee damage rolls against that same foe on your next turn.
    Can you use it with with maneuvers that grant attacks? (such as Dancing/Raging Mongoose and Avalanche of Blades)

Can you use it on attacks of opportunity?

Can you still threaten (and confirm) critical hits on it?

Do non damaging weapon enhancements still apply?
    Last edited by DarkSonic1337; 2013-03-20 at 01:00 AM.

24. - Top - End - #2364
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1179

You will invariably take longer than the standard casting times for spells if your character has the Ponderous Spellcaster flaw from Dragon # 326. However, you do not have an option to change your spellcasting time otherwise except through the application of metamagic feats. (If you are a spontaneous spellcaster and add metamagic "on the fly" your casting time will increase.)

25. - Top - End - #2365
    Titan in the Playground

Q1182

If a familiar gains an increase to con, say from a casting of bears endurance or the like, do they gain extra hit points based on their effective HD? Conversely, if they take constitution damage, does the opposite happen (down to a minimum of 1hp per effective HD?) Or is a familiar's max HP always at half of the master's?

Q1183

Can a coure eladrin still fire arrows from a bow while in incorporeal ball form?
    Last edited by Crake; 2013-03-20 at 08:38 AM.

26. - Top - End - #2366
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q1184

how dose "Improved Familiar" work. i am planing on making a fleshwraper, and i am trying to find the best way to get a better familiar, something that's note tiny and can fight. if this isn't what i am looking for, what is?

27. - Top - End - #2367
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q1185: When Wild Shaping (or being subject to the Polymorph spell) do you keep buffs that were cast on you beforehand? If I cast Mage Armor on myself, for example, then Wild Shape into a black bear, do I still have the Mage Armor? What about stat increasing buffs? Will Bull's Strength still affect me (boosting the 19 str I get from being a black bear to 23), or does "The subject gains the Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores of the new form" override this? What about Barkskin's natural armor bonus, or a Grease spell that has been cast on yourself for the bonus to Escape Artist?
    Last edited by Mongrel; 2013-03-20 at 03:07 PM.

28. - Top - End - #2368
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 1175 additional

Deflect from PHB2 (but not [Lesser Deflect[/i]).
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2013-03-20 at 12:31 PM.

29. - Top - End - #2369
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1182 No.
    The familiar has one-half the master’s total hit points (not including temporary hit points), rounded down, regardless of its actual Hit Dice.
    Increase the master's CON and the familiar's hit points will increase. Change the familiar's CON and you will only affect their Fortitude saving throw and Concentration skill modifier.

30. - Top - End - #2370

DrowGuy

Q1185

Are all dragon type creatures immune to the physical stat penalties of aging or is it just Dragonwrought Kobolds? Can I get a source for this?

Also my Q1181 was never answered