New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Are you happy with the Halflings?

So a little while back WotC released some art & background for the halfling. I didn't like it so I have come to the internet to complain! ... um I mean ask if I'm just a grumpy minority & everyone else in fact loves the halflings that are presented.

- I know it's just fluff, but fluff will inspire general playstyles, & overarching mechanics

My problem is that they are too much like hobbits culturally, & in some cases, in appearance. The halflings could use some uniqueness a more solid independant identity. One of the few things I liked about 4e was the riverboat halflings. To me it made some sort of sense that the halflings stature would be of benefit near the water. No huge river monsters, & they have smaller bodies so they can't go as far without water as other races, & stuff like that.

So comment below what's your opinion?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Are you happy with the Halflings?

I'd be happy to give my opinions (and I assure you, I have lots of them!) if you'd be so kind as to link to this. This is for 5E, I presume?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Are you familiar at all with the halflings of the talenta plains in the eberron campaign setting?

Tribal, territorial, stoic dinosaur wranglers. Seriously.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Don't let the Kender be forgotten about!

Someone please think about the Kender!

Although, I've never been forogtten about, I wonder if it feels any different than being remembered all the time. I mean I know people think about me because I don't feel like I've been forgotten about, but sometimes it seems like everyone wants to, especially when everyone plays 'Tie down the Kender.' That's a real fun game to play...

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The day I met my first Kender is the day I took up skeet shooting as a hobby. With the Kender as the pidgeon.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

And that's about par for the course...

Good thing I have Uncanny dodge and a really high Dex.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

But that's why you make such good target practice!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Cooperative skill building has never ben so much fun.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    I vehemently disagree.
    Member of the paladin fan club

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    My problem is that they are too much like hobbits culturally, & in some cases, in appearance.
    You might remember how older D&D halfings were pretty much hobbits. It's almost as though the way they're developing 5E is taking bits and pieces out of older editions without any regard for the whole.

On the plus side, if you're unhappy with the new [old] halflings, WotC values your input!

At least, that's what they say.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I still can't find this thing the OP is talking about.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

"Forgotten about kender"... really, since 3e, they've been turning halflings into kender. Tribalist kender, but roving gypsy thieves? Yeah, they're kender without the tendency to talk about everything.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Spamalot in the Playground

Yeah, I was pretty "meh" about Halflings overall so in my homebrew campaign world I rewrote them as being cousins to the fey and made them really savvy merchants and traders. My players love caravans of Halfling sorcerers to spend their money at.

Also, totally stole the Halflings from Dark Sun. Everyone loves a "people person".
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    I still can't find this thing the OP is talking about.
    Same here, anyone care to educate us in the changes we're meant to be defending/criticising here? Halfings are those short people right? The ones with beards?
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    "You live and learn. At any rate, you live."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper_Monkey View Post
    Same here, anyone care to educate us in the changes we're meant to be defending/criticising here? Halfings are those short people right? The ones with beards?
    No, silly, those are Duergar. Halflings are the ones with 6 arms and leet psionic powers.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmarvho View Post
    You might remember how older D&D halfings were pretty much hobbits. It's almost as though the way they're developing 5E is taking bits and pieces out of older editions without any regard for the whole.

On the plus side, if you're unhappy with the new [old] halflings, WotC values your input!

At least, that's what they say.
    I believe they're starting from that point and letting the concepts grow/evolve based on official feedback. (Because design-by-committee is always the best way).

To the OP, I think there are enough varieties of Halflings in the worlds of WotC, complete with their own fluff, that it's easy enough to choose the bits that fit the world you want to describe, and leave out the rest.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post

Someone please think about the Kender!

Although, I've never been forogtten about, I wonder if it feels any different than being remembered all the time. I mean I know people think about me because I don't feel like I've been forgotten about, but sometimes it seems like everyone wants to, especially when everyone plays 'Tie down the Kender.' That's a real fun game to play...
    Oh, we have not forgotten about the Kender. Trust me.

We have a solution for the Kender. A "final solution" you might say . . .

And before anybody gets the wrong idea, yeah, that was a joke.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    Oh, we have not forgotten about the Kender. Trust me.

We have a solution for the Kender. A "final solution" you might say . . .

And before anybody gets the wrong idea, yeah, that was a joke.
    A final solution? To what? I didn't realize we were trying to solve a problem, what is it? Can I help? Hey, what does this button over here do?

*click*

... Oops.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

What joke? Kender have to be erased from existance.

I don't really care about halflings, they tend to be either non-adventurers or Rob Schneider. I rather ignore them and have everything that could be interesting about them shoved over to non-tinker gnomes.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Bold emphasis mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    I believe they're starting from that point and letting the concepts grow/evolve based on official feedback. (Because design-by-committee is always the best way).

To the OP, I think there are enough varieties of Halflings in the worlds of WotC, complete with their own fluff, that it's easy enough to choose the bits that fit the world you want to describe, and leave out the rest.
    Now this is where we get into trouble. D&D has a monkey-barrel-load of official settings, each of which can sport a different flavor of Halfling, with a different style to their play. Their default Halfling (or anything else, for that matter) should be what works in their default setting - the generic fantasy which-may-or-may-not be Greyhawk one. They should probably aim for a common cultural core to start from, which lets the different settings define themselves as "Our Halflings are like this, except for..." or "our Halflings are nothing like this, except for..." (and so on for other races). This doesn't have to be an amalgam of the vote (40% hobbit, 22% kender, 17% cultural stereotypes, and a dash of misplaced gnome input, and maybe an original idea), but something closer to the mode. Making a popular exception the basis of the core changes the core, and the old unique exception becomes commonplace.

Kender? Dragonlance. Different flavors for different worlds. (Here's where I tangent into my issues with 1,001 "core" races, but the topic is Halflings).

Personally, I like them a bit Hobbity.
    Last edited by Joe the Rat; 2012-11-15 at 10:39 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

If only they gave the Kender a burrow speed, then I could use them as mole people. Seriously, they usually live in holes! Mole people who ambush their goblin prey in order to devour them...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Article in question is located here:
    http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.a...dreye/20121107

From what it and other articles in this series say this is going to be the default Forgotten Realms halfling, with the Forgotten Realms becoming the new default setting for D&D in the way that Points of Light/ Nentir Vale was for 4e and Probably-Greyhawk was for 3e. Kendar, Talenta halflings, Athasian halflings and any others will still exist in their given worlds if wizards support those worlds.

Personally I'm not that keen on the new design, as they look too cartoony and exagerated. I don't particularly think that making them more hobbitlike again is a good idea, but I can see why they want to do it. Theres no release date for the new edition but its likely to fall either during the period over which the Hobbit films are being released or shortly thereafter. If the Hobbit proves as successful as the Lord of the Rings films then it could well boost interest in fantasy and D&D will want to benefit from that. Making their halflings more hobbitlike could be a deliberate decision.

However I think that they are going too far. Hobbits in Peter Jackson's movies are not cartoonish after all and don't have a bizzare nature motif.
    Time is but a pattern in the currents of causality,
    an ever changing present that determines our reality,
    the past we see as history, the future seed with prophecy,
    and all the time we think on time our time is passing constantly.
    Starlight and Steam RPG

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

I like them. The nature theme seems appropriate for a society of rustic villagers. Further, I think the larger heads do give the illusion of smallness and prevents them from being "mini-humans." Essentially, they seem like hobbits with tiny feet--and I understand why they have tiny feet.

And I did like the drawing of the hobbit halfling father and daughter returning from the fishing trip.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think it still needs some work for sure. I do want to see them avoid the "mini-human" problem they were talking about, but I don't want to see the Halflings turn into Gnomes or Hobbits either. I like the general direction their going in, i'm not sure that he grossly over sized body parts are the way to go however. It makes them seem more awkward than I feel they should be.
    Awesome Gunslinger Avatar by Kymme

"The mind of the subject will desperately struggle to create memories where none exist..." Barriers to Trans-Dimensional Travel, Rosalind Lutece, 1889

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Yeah, I like them. I can see the cartoony complaint, but I think that may hae to do as much with the art style as the design.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Wait, I'm confused. I thought Halfings and Hobbits came from the same idea-genealogy?
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Yes they are hobbits, but in D&D they lost almost all of the Shire culture over time, especially starting with 3rd Edition.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Yeah, they're kender without the tendency to talk about everything.
    Well, that was the worst part about Kender, so it's worthwhile to let it slide.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmarvho View Post
    Well, that was the worst part about Kender, so it's worthwhile to let it slide.
    Wasn't the worst part about the Kender that they were pathologically lying kleptomaniacs who everyone loved for no clear reason?

But back on topic; I'm not sure what the 5e fluff for Halflings is, but saying that they are too much like Hobbits... is just too strange a complaint for me to comprehend. They are Hobbits, that's kind of their entire thing.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's a departure from the old art and fluff (which was itself a departure from the OLD art and fluff), and you know how people hate change.