New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Alchemists of Al-Revis (IC)

"Rocza, You are very well mannered for a raven, I had heard that most of your kind are mischievous and have an obsession with shiny objects."

"I should hope that my familiar is as behaved as yours when I Perform the ritual to summon it".

It was a true comment, not particularly well said but true. Sebastian has been planning on a snake and he was still set on it however he had to admit that Rocza was impressive as a familiar even if his own raven wouldn't be a tattoo.
    Snakes were still better though.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Aldaric stops eating and says "It took some time to teach her manners... Now I can at least proudly say that she doesn't steal shiny things from random people... she focuses her efforts mostly on me." He says rolling his eyes.

"I could help you with the ritual if you want, although you would need to teach it by yourself... it doesn't work otherwise." he says with a shrug.

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

After the fiasco in the main office, Quill signed up for both classes, then had run around to all the different rooms finding out what there was to know about everywhere and getting quite sweaty in the process. As a result, she was feeling rather sweaty and gross at the beginning of dinner, but she began to tune in to the conversation when the topic turned to the raven. With a smile, she took out a copper piece, offering it to the raven.

"I love birds. Theyre so fluttery and soft, and...and fun!", she exclaims to the quiet boy, Alembic, was it?, whom she is sitting next to. He seemed nice, although he was rather tall and far too quiet for his own good. He would need to be taught to talk more, she decided.

Then she remembers something else that was discussed.
    I can fight, too! I'm pretty good at it! she says, then flushes an embarrassed red that matches her hair.
    Last edited by Demidos; 2012-12-03 at 08:16 PM.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Alembic cringes slightly at the overly boisterous girl sitting next to him, and says nothing in response. Conversation was a theory he had read about, but never experimented with - best to stick with understandable things, like transmuted protein matrices.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Quill pokes him (Alembic).

Helloooo?

How about this, we make it easy. My name is Quill. How about yours?
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Finally setting down her contemplations for the day, Aveline decides that she is hungry. After all, her stomach is rumbling yet again. She gets up, and after checking the closet for her armor and hammer, heads towards the dining hall. Once arrived, Aveline takes a tray and finds a table not far from where the others are sitting, but not too close. Unfortunately, the chatter in the hall would drown out any kind of eavesdropping but at least this way those boys wouldn't think that she... hold on. Who was that with them? Aveline takes a moment to examine the new girl, before looking back to her food. Maybe they wouldn't need her after all.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demidos View Post
    Quill pokes him (Alembic).

Helloooo?

How about this, we make it easy. My name is Quill. How about yours?
    The dark haired boy flinches at the invasion of his personal space and glours at the girl trying to 'get him out of his shell'. He likes his shell, it's comfortable.

"Alembic. No poking."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Oooh. You can talk! Hooray! Where are you from?

Turning to Sebastian and Aldaric she points her thumb in Alembic's direction.
    Does he do the whole quiet thing often?
    My Homebrew:
    WIP

Completed Classes

9. - Top - End - #99

"Yes. No poking. He'll burn you. I'm Sebastian. He said turning to the strangely bubbly girl and doing a mediocre impersonation of Alembic's speech pattern.

He hadn't been lying about the burning part. Although to be fair the perpetrator had been trying to hug him and it was more of a light singeing than a burn. Still, it was one reason why Sebastian never ever tried to pat Alembic on the back.
    Last edited by Moonwolf727; 2012-12-04 at 02:44 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Alembic turns to Sebastian and pouts at the boy's ribbing. "Not my fault. She broke vial of nitrate crystals. I put her out."

Then, he turns back to the pokey-girl and re-emphasizes, "NO Poking."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Aldaric turns to the new girl and says with a wide smile on his face.
    "Pleasure to meet you. I am Aldaric." he says with a polite nod. Rocza looks at the coins, she was offered, with slight suspicion. She looks then on Aldaric "Caw?" ... who rolls his eyes and answers "Yes, you can. But don't get used to it.". After that Rocza flies to Quill and grabs the coin, staying near her to show appreciation for the gift.

After a while another girl comes in the dining hall... the one who ran away when he was listening to the explanations in Labs... and now she sat far away from everyone...

He takes a small copper wire, formed into a ring, from his jacket's inner pocket and turns to the 'running girl' mouthing words... which she can clearly hear despite the distance.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "If you so please, you are hereby invited to join our conversation and sit closer to the group, so we could acquaint each other."

He says and bows politely.

Spoiler
    Show
    Message cantrip...

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Quill reaches out as if to poke him, then stops.

Then you better keep talking. Where are you from?
    My Homebrew:
    WIP

Completed Classes

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Alembic flinches back from the attempted poke and glares at the girl.

"Ask Sebastian"

14. - Top - End - #104

"We both come from high up in the mountains and were raised by a talking cat."

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff check (1d20+7)[15].
    Last edited by Moonwolf727; 2012-12-05 at 12:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh. A TALKING CAT? TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive (1d20+7)[9] or +12, depending on how high-magic this setting is (Edit:....nice
    Last edited by Demidos; 2012-12-05 at 01:00 PM.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP

Completed Classes

16. - Top - End - #106

What.

Did she just actually............. How......Why.......

"It was a very interesting experience I can tell you, Especially when it came to his cooking. You would assume that a cat would be able to properly cook a fish."

At this point Sebastian isn't even paying attention to what he is saying, He is still in shock from Quill's exclamation.
    Last edited by Moonwolf727; 2012-12-05 at 01:06 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Alembic looks between the girl yelling in his ear and his friend. Deciding he wants no further part of this silliness, he takes his dinner plate with him and moves to a quieter spot on the table.

Just before he starts eating, he notices that he's sitting across from the girl who'd been giving Sebastian strange looks all day. Not that it mattered...as long as she wasn't the intrusive sort as well. Just to be sure, Alembic decides to ask.

To Aveline, he gives a put upon look and asks, "You don't poke, do you?"

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Really? That sounds tasty! Do you know any of his or her recipies? I like cooking too, but I always burn the food. Its hard to remember to take it off on time.

Remembering her manners, Quill turns to the other boy as well, Aldaric.

Do either of you cook? Can you teach me?
    My Homebrew:
    WIP

Completed Classes

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Aveline notices the other boy join the other two. Flushed, she turns away abruptly when he beckons her over. There was no way that was happening any time soon. However, when one of the others sits directly across from her, Aveline cannot help but raise an eyebrow.
    "No, I don't poke. Why?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-12-06 at 10:43 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Aldaric turns to the... energetic girl
    "I did learn how to cook, but I do it only well enough to survive, I am afraid... Things I prepare are healthy, nutritious... but not tasty." He says keeping smile from his face. "And sometimes I tend to use too much spices... I like it that way, but my brothers thought I tried to poison them the first few times." He adds, this time with a wide smile as he remembers his brother face, when he tried one of Aldarics 'experiments'.

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    "No, I don't poke. Why?"
    He points an accusatory finger at Quill and says, "She pokes. Also loud." As though that explains everything.

Alembic then continues eating in companionable silence.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Banned

You eventually head to your dorms, and sleep. The beds are surprisingly comfy. You walk to your class in the morning, and a young professor walks in and tells you to take your seats.

"Welcome, welcome to basic alchemy. Now given that you're here you obviously know the basic theory of alchemy and the 4 elements, but one must realize that there is more to it than even that!"

He continues talking for a fair while, explaining how many alchemy items have no effects on their own and require other items to bring them out.

"For example, a potion of cure light wounds is made by mixing spinachherb, with blue petals in water. The blue petals have no curative properties, but greatly enhance the spinachherb's curing abilities, the water is to give it an easy base of use."

He pauses.

"And that is your first assignment. Go into the forest and piece both of those plants. Then mix it with clearwater in a lab and bring it to the student affair desk for report. Working in groups is allowed and recommended. The forest can be a dangerous place. Plus you're all going to the same place anyways."

You're sort of shocked you're getting homework so fast.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"That was... fast." whispers Aldaric, seeing that the theoretical part already ended... But he doesn't mind that, action is much more interesting than sitting and taking notes.
    ... on the other hand it would take a lot to fill these 3 books he bought for note-making purposes...
    'Lesson 1 - Alchemy, Basics

CLW potion: spinachherb ; blue petals ; clearwater.
    Notes: Herbs found in forest; water and alchemical devices found in labs'

His hand shoots up before he asks a question:
    "What kinds of danger shall we expect in the forest, professor?"

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Aveline sits at the back of the classroom, her eyes and ears drinking in the entirety of the lesson. It would be useful indeed to learn how to make more potions of Cure Light Wounds - she did have several vials herself, but the art of creating them had never been hers before.
    I wonder... what happens when a completed potion takes aerosol form? What kind of properties can it offer other than its intended result? She frowns slightly at the professor's mention of the assignment and the groups. Did she really have to go into the forest? There was no way that she would be taking along those strange boys, or that annoying girl who never seemed to shut up. Aveline finishes writing down the last sentence she hears towards the end of the lecture and shuts her notebook, listening raptly to the questions being asked.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-12-07 at 09:46 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lexin View Post

His hand shoots up before he asks a question:
    "What kinds of danger shall we expect in the forest, professor?"
    The professors looks at you. "The type of creatures you'd expect in a forest, wolves, deer, rabbits. Don't laugh rabbits can do some good damage if cornered. Plus some plants in there are poison. The forest is regularly maintained by the staff, so you're not going to run into anything too dangerous, but clearing out the whole forest would be an act against nature, so we can't just slaughter every animal we don't like."

He pats the board again. "Spinacherb, blue petal, water, in this ratio." He nods. "Any other questions?"

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Aldaric nods in acknowledgment, waits for other questions and answers and leaves the class with others, walking towards the forest. He walks slower, so Sebastian and Alembic can catch up to him, but doesn't look for them on his own.

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume it is the only class today, if not Aldaric is not skipping classes and walks to the other one instead.

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Alembic is mildly annoyed by the lack of information provided - at least the ratios are clear, and the procedure, but little is noted about the ingredients themselves. And if all the teacher is going to provide is a recipe, then really what's the point of even showing up to class - a syllabus and a recipe list would let him get through the class in a matter of hours, days at most.

"Does freshness of ingredients matter? Can dried blue leaf powder be used? What of substitute ingredients?"

28. - Top - End - #118
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel404 View Post
    "Does freshness of ingredients matter? Can dried blue leaf powder be used? What of substitute ingredients?"
    "Fresher ingredients tend to be better. However they'll keep for a fair while. Powdered plants usually have the same properties as whole plants, what mostly matters is that you measure them right. Powdering them, will make it easier to measure volume.

Substitute ingredients are covered in later classes, stick to the recipe for now, but yes there are plants with similar properties, and sometimes two wildly different things like certain metals, can have similar effects."

He taps the chalkboard. "The main thing to remember is the 4 elements and how they work with each other. The opposing elements of fire and water, earth and air, and the various ways they can complement and hinder each other in creation. Both spinacherb and blue petal are water element in nature, so that's where you would start."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Making a few notes for himself, Alembic waits for the other students to finish asking questions before he heads out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming there are no other classes today, I'll be heading to the forest with whatever group is going there immediately.

30. - Top - End - #120

Well, that was interesting.

Sebastian didn't have any question's because there weren't any particulars to worry about. Not any that he hadn't written in his pocket notebook at least.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sebastian heads out towards the woods and groups with whoever he meets on the way. Unless there are other classes.