New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Amidus Drexel's Alliterative and Awe-Accentuating Anvil of Random Banter CLXXXVI

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Oh, almost forgot:

SAT Completed!

EDIT: The 110% thing? That was something like 110% being impossible because if you get better you've just made the 110% bigger? That was Academicals. Don't quite see what's so epic about that, I was trying to tell phys. ed. teachers that since I learned what "percent" meant.
    Weeel, I liked it. Which reminds me, I now know the root of the word pedant. ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by Devmaar View Post
    I just googled The Last Hero and... I don't think I've read it...

I thought I'd read all the Discworld novels...

I need to take a minute...
    Think through some things...

Also I need to go to sleep. It's after 3am and I want to get up in time to do chores before D&D
    It's beautiful. It's got the most lovely artwork, and I love it. I think i got my copy in Belgium.

My Pratchett-related regret at the moment is that I don't possess Eric with the pictures.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #182

Default Re: Amidus Drexel's Alliterative and Awe-Accentuating Anvil of Random Banter CLXXXVI

So as I write my essay (page thirteen!) I have come across an interesting question. If a person was born without any ability to sense anything, could they think at all? No sight, no smell, no touch, no hearing, and no taste. Nothing. Would they really be capable of thought?

It seems not to me. First of all, we are almost entirely dependent on language for our thought. I find myself incapable of just thinking up a language for myself on the spot when I think. I've always got either English or Polish going through my head, or some mixture of the two. I suppose I could think in terms of emotions like happiness or anger on a basic level, but I've experienced these emotions in reaction to things I have experienced through the senses. So then I don't have any means of thinking.

Then there's the problem that I have nothing to think about. If I had never experienced anything, what would I think about? Perhaps some sort of sense of my own existence? Yet it seems to me that I know my own existence because I think. I think, therefore I am as the saying goes. So if I don't think, how would I even be able to sense my own existence? It seems to me that a person with no senses simply couldn't think. They'd be unconscious.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

3. - Top - End - #183

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    So as I write my essay (page thirteen!) I have come across an interesting question. If a person was born without any ability to sense anything, could they think at all? No sight, no smell, no touch, no hearing, and no taste. Nothing. Would they really be capable of thought?

It seems not to me. First of all, we are almost entirely dependent on language for our thought. I find myself incapable of just thinking up a language for myself on the spot when I think. I've always got either English or Polish going through my head, or some mixture of the two. I suppose I could think in terms of emotions like happiness or anger on a basic level, but I've experienced these emotions in reaction to things I have experienced through the senses. So then I don't have any means of thinking.

Then there's the problem that I have nothing to think about. If I had never experienced anything, what would I think about? Perhaps some sort of sense of my own existence? Yet it seems to me that I know my own existence because I think. I think, therefore I am as the saying goes. So if I don't think, how would I even be able to sense my own existence? It seems to me that a person with no senses simply couldn't think. They'd be unconscious.
    I think you're on to something. Conversely, I don't think it's possible for a conscious person to have no senses at all. If a person has no sense of the outside world, how would they know of a self to distinguish from that which is not self? How would that even work?

Hi Luna! Welcome back~
    Last edited by Blue Ghost; 2012-12-01 at 10:23 PM.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

There is a case of a village, in Nicaragua I believe, where a government plan shunned out a massive community of deaf people, illiterate deaf people to the middle of nothing. They had no language at all or an idea of it. Their offspring had no knowledge of sign-language or language at all but they managed to build their own from scratch before the age of 12. It can also be argued that our brains are wired towards certain lines of development, there is a neurological reason to us developing such mental structures, at least in terms of language.

While thought without language seems impossible, we have no way to determine if it is in fact impossible because we are able to formulate images or sounds (while this both derive from senses), in terms of emotions one would have to determine if there is such thing as in vacuo emotions or all of them have a context.

There has been research into whether language allows you to perform complex operations, mainly in people who lost their language capability and not the speech itself. While it there is no case of absolute loss of the concept of word meaning, the fact that this people have no trouble performing mathematical operations while lacking the ability to produce grammar seems to suggest that language may just happen to be part of the way we communicate (which a person with no conception of other on his surroundings wouldn't have the need for) what we have already conceived.
    A person with no sense would be senseless, but not unconscious, it could imagine; and potentially formulate a reality that is beyond us because you could say we are tampered by experience. Which is part of the Cartesian argument IRC, that we can imagine reality and as such should not trust it as the scholastic did; and not the other way around, that we imagine what we see in reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    I think you're on to something. Conversely, I don't think it's possible for a conscious person to have no senses at all. If a person has no sense of the outside world, how would they know of a self to distinguish from that which is not self? How would that even work?
    Because there is no perception of other phenomenon they wouldn't have to distinguish themselves because it is all they would know exists.

It also depends on how one defines consciousness. Being aware of differentiating between the environment and oneself and being aware of being oneself do make a difference when hypothetical arguments such as this are made.

EDIT: This person is also capable of movement even if unaware what it entails, it at the very least recognizes it has movable appendages even if it doesn't know what they are and what they are for.

EDIT TO EDIT: Pinker, a linguist, makes a similar question to yours, at least in linguistic terms of thought. Nietzsche also deals with the issue of how we think about thinking when he mentions that we only notice our rational discursive thought and forget about the giant iceberg of non-intentional and non-rational thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Weeel, I liked it. Which reminds me, I now know the root of the word pedant. ^.^
    Root being the Italian "Pedante" which means teacher.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-12-01 at 11:08 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

I tried to write 'HalfTangible' in gallefreyan (the fan version)
    Spoiler
    Show

I'd be willing to bet it looks like putting 'there' to mean 'they are'.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

@Moonie - It's been at least a whole RB thread, perhaps two. So a week or two I'd say?

ION: Well, there goes what I had planned to be a great night. So angry. If I hadn't re-organised the person who was coming yesterday to stay tomorrow instead, I'd have already left for Ele's place because himself, his family, heck even the environment of his house, calms me down.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

7. - Top - End - #187

Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    @Moonie - It's been at least a whole RB thread, perhaps two. So a week or two I'd say?

ION: Well, there goes what I had planned to be a great night. So angry. If I hadn't re-organised the person who was coming yesterday to stay tomorrow instead, I'd have already left for Ele's place because himself, his family, heck even the environment of his house, calms me down.
    TWO?? I posted in the forty-somethingth page of the last thread!!!! <headdesk>
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post

That is hardly long. Why, I remember, I went a whole 13 years without posting here.

@Moon And that was at least 5 days ago. And I didnt say this yet, but its nice to see you Moonz. Youw as all *not posting* and I was all *chat with knee*
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-12-01 at 11:15 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm afraid that if I go to sleep, I'll wake up and we'll be on page 20 or something.

May I assume that the ability to sense temperature and vibrations are also denied to this person? This hypothetical person doesn't seem to have much of a nervous system.

When you are conscious, your senses are active; when you are unconscious, they are (to a large degree) not. Should your senses not be active, this would imply unconsciousness. But even unconscious people (ones that are sleeping, anyway), can sense things (loud noises, bright lights, touch, etc.), so maybe I need a new definition for unconscious. Similar to a coma, perhaps? I'm not sure where to go from there.

As far as for what someone without senses would think about, I'll go out on a limb and say language, logic, and math (in that order).

TWO?? I posted in the forty-somethingth page of the last thread!!!! <headdesk>
    Don't worry; it was only last thread.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2012-12-01 at 11:18 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

10. - Top - End - #190

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Don't worry; it was only last thread.
    Yes, I am vaguely aware that fifty pages and then some more haven't gone by since I drowned in stuffness.

EDIT: Wow, I just checke,d and it was longer than I thought.
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2012-12-01 at 11:26 PM.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191

My essay is done. Yes. Done. I am so happy. Granted, this is only the first draft that was due, so I'll have to work on it, but it's done for now. My professor isn't even grading this first draft. All I need is the requisite number of pages. I tried to make it at least competent, if not necessarily good, and I think I have succeeded. I'd dance a merry jig if I were not so tired.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

My essay is done. Yes. Done. I am so happy. Granted, this is only the first draft that was due, so I'll have to work on it, but it's done for now. My professor isn't even grading this first draft. All I need is the requisite number of pages. I tried to make it at least competent, if not necessarily good, and I think I have succeeded. I'd dance a merry jig if I were not so tired.
    Congratulations!

15 pages is a lot better than two sentences of gibberish that constitute most of my rough drafts. I do better when I can get in the right frame of mind and just write the final copy.
    A few odds and ends.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Here, have some jazz.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    Here, have some jazz.
    *looks at video description*
    *sees name of the pianist*

Whoa. That is quite cool.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    Here, have some jazz.
    Splendidly done, sir!

And now, I retire to bed.

Can we not get past, say, page 8 in the next ten hours? Please?
    A few odds and ends.

16. - Top - End - #196

Hurrah! This is a cause for celebration. *spins*

I don't have much writing to do right now, but in high school, I'd always finish my papers in a single draft. I'd try to add new things on my second draft, but usually I'd decide that it was good enough, make a few style changes, and call it good.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

17. - Top - End - #197

I don't have much writing to do right now, but in high school, I'd always finish my papers in a single draft. I'd try to add new things on my second draft, but usually I'd decide that it was good enough, make a few style changes, and call it good.
    I usually write in one draft, but the professor required this, so I wrote it this way. Honestly, I'm glad it happened because I would have procrastinated a lot and ended up writing as I did now when the essay really was due.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

*looks at video description*
    *sees name of the pianist*

Whoa. That is quite cool.
    *bows*

Thanks.

I believe the main revision would be those by indication rather than by free will.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Bugbear in the Playground

Panicked about being behind on my Christmas shopping for a whole half hour before I realized I had finished already. Huzzah! Now I get to take advantage of all the Christmas sales for myself.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Colossus in the Playground

*Best Friend*
    Mooooooooooooooooooooooony!

*tacklehugs*

Sorry I missed you being online, was at work being awesome. Sunday's a day off some come online for sure! I missed you so much! I even had to take your turn in DND (and I crit )

21. - Top - End - #201

@DP: Cool! I love finishing a worky thing, it's always so satisfying. Even first drafts.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Mooooooooooooooooooooooony!

*tacklehugs*

Sorry I missed you being online, was at work being awesome. Sunday's a day off some come online for sure! I missed you so much! I even had to take your turn in DND (and I crit )
    I'm yer best friend? <heart warms>

I notice,d I was desperately trying to catch up when I realized the last post I saw was the one announcing my turn.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202

I could say just about anything couldn't I?

Anyone know where I can get a good Greek virgin girl? I need Greek virgin blood to complete the offering to Ba'al.

What do you do for a harpoon wound? I told my sister to stay out of the garage and now look! She's bleeding out!

I got these two suitcases full of money and I can't keep them in my house because we're "fumigating". I need to stash it at one of your houses until the "exterminators" leave if you catch my meaning.

Sometimes I intentionally cut myself shaving just to feel something.
    Last edited by DJ Yung Crunk; 2012-12-02 at 12:26 AM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

I dont believe in first drafts. MY FIRST WORK IS MY FINEST WORK.

AUGH. POST ABOUT CHRISTMAS SHOPPING! IT ONLY JUST TURNED DECEMBER YOU ******* ADS!

Edit: Well, genuine Greek blood can be a hard find. Would Crete count?

(Seriouser, however, when you are a new person to the Banter, the only effective way to be recognized and adressed is by adressing the regulars with a thought provoking response, giving them a great first impression and scaring them into replying to you. )
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-12-02 at 12:30 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    don't feed the troll...

24. - Top - End - #204

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    I dont believe in first drafts. MY FIRST WORK IS MY FINEST WORK.

AUGH. POST ABOUT CHRISTMAS SHOPPING! IT ONLY JUST TURNED DECEMBER YOU ******* ADS!
    Yeah. December's a write-off because it's just so packed and so much of a hassle. Shipping takes too long, stores never stock what you're looking for. The unwritten rule is that if you're still shopping in December you've left it too long.

Thanks for noticing my post and making my funny little bit about people not paying attention to me irrelevant. Whatever. I'm keeping it.

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post

Anyone know where I can get a good Greek virgin girl? I need Greek virgin blood to complete the offering to Ba'al.

What do you do for a harpoon wound? I told my sister to stay out of the garage and now look! She's bleeding out!

I got these two suitcases full of money and I can't keep them in my house because we're "fumigating". I need to stash it at one of your houses until the "exterminators" leave if you catch my meaning.

I hope none of those are true, particularly that last one.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

26. - Top - End - #206

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Splendidly done, sir!

And now, I retire to bed.

Can we not get past, say, page 8 in the next ten hours? Please?
    You realize we can't promise that, right? I, for one, fully expect to wake up to a new thread tomorrow, especially given that upon refreshing the page in the other tab, I found that there have been four new posts while I was writing this short message.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, that last one is a great way to wake up in the morning! Nothing jolts you awake like a bleedin' gash across your lip.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

Greece might be a good starting point.
    You find a whale and transplant the wounded tissue to it and replace it with whale fat.
    You can leave it next to the Tesla Coil next to the suspended human brain in my basement.
    You may have CIPA.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I tried to write 'HalfTangible' in gallefreyan (the fan version)
    Spoiler
    Show

I'd be willing to bet it looks like putting 'there' to mean 'they are'.
    Also did 'Lazodiac' at Lala's request.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Also did 'Lazodiac' at Lala's request.

Spoiler
    Show
    Which alphabet are you using?