New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [4eDnD] To the Ends of The Multiverse - Group A- IC

Deep in the astral sea, a choir strikes up a fresh verse in their hymn to their god. The death of their god means little to them, for they know that all that has a beginning has an end, and they know that he still listens. They stand arrayed, in a glistening white mass, across a number of large astral galleons.

One figure, garbed in long robes of grey, stands out. As the song begins to reach a creschendo, he nods, seemingly pleased, and steps from his place within the crowd, moving below the deck of his ship.

It is time.

Airmir Sunshadow

Spoiler
    Show

The City of doors is as busy as it always is, the long, sweeping streets bustling with creatures of all shapes and sizes. Shifters argue with Thri-kreen while Half-giants barter with pixies, and all people of all sorts swarm about, their business and their purpose unreadable amidst the furore. All at once, a ripple spreads through the crowd, words and phrases of panic spreading like wildfire. Snippets of paniced voices echo through the air.

Demons! Demons have killed them all!

My family! Oh lords, they must be dead! How could they still live?

The earth itself rips apart, how are we to stand and fight?

How can this be?

And one hysterical voice cries The End has Come!

Just at the edge of Airmir's vision he can see a piercing, if brief flash of purple light where he knows the entrance to portal for a planet called Evehran once lay. Cries of genuine alarm filter from nearby, as it becomes clear that it exploded, shrapnel and bolts of uncontrolled energy hitting those who were stood nearby.

"Evehran has fallen." A voice from beside Airmir says. The voice belongs to a figure dressed in long grey robes. "And it will just be the first of many worlds to die if something is not done about it."

Aurora Coldclaw

Spoiler
    Show

The wind carried a bitter chill to Aurora, that spoke of a frosty morning, and many more to come. The birds of the Vale were singing their nightsong, and the rivers of the area stretched out before her, the wind playing its own song along its surface.

"Hello Aurora, my name is Ronin." said a voice behind her, emanating from a figure all but hidden in a grey cloak that billowed in the wind. "I'm afraid that I cannot come to you bearing better news, but your world, and the world of many others are at risk. I would like your aid to help defeat this darkness.

Durandal, The Blade that Sunders
    Spoiler
    Show

Shortly after the portal ripped its way into the world, leaving a fine purple rim surrounding a shimmer field of light, the figure, shrouded in gray, stepped through the portal in front of Durandal. He appeared to gaze upon Durandal, and appraise him briefly, as though his eyes beheld more than there was to see.

"Durandal, it is good to see you so armed. The Gods, and the people of all the planes have need of your service once more. There is a great doom about to fall upon all the worlds, and this one is no exception. I do not wish this to happen. If you do choose to join me in this task, I cannot promise that you will return, not can I promise that this world will remain unharmed. All I can say, is that the fate of the multiverse depends on the willingness of you, and other people like you, to stand strong in the face of inevitable defeat."

Jae Nevra

Spoiler
    Show

The soothsayer had no change before Jae's unrelenting and unstoppable assault, and it wasn't long before he lay dead before her, his rictus grin now a grimace of pain. The room about Jae, stirs with a cool breeze, shifting about some broken trinkets of the soothsayer's.

"Jae Nevra, Blackguard of Cyric" A voice says, from behind Jae, its presence an unwelcome intrusion into her thoughts, appearing as it has, out of nowhere. I have come here to ask for your aid, in helping to avert the destruction of this world, and all others like it. You would not be unrewarded for your aid, if you were to lend it, for there are a great many riches and great power to be gained by helping me. There may even be an end to the pain you feel."

Lucien Lightstep

Spoiler
    Show

It has been a long, but productive day for Lucien. His fame amongst the dwarves grows by the day, and his news of his deeds spreads further, to the surface, and even though Lucien doesn't know it, beyond the world itself. He had just about managed to find himself a comfortable seat to rest on, a mighty task in itself in a dwarven city, when Eeda Coalburner came into the room. "Sorry t'bother yah Lucien, when ye've just got yer place by tha' fire, but thar's a queer fella here to talk ta ya'. Ain't seen tha like in years." With that a tall figure in obscuring grey robes, stoops through the doorway.

"I am sorry to disturb your rest, Sir Lightstep, but my need is great. This world, and many others beyond the stars are in danger. I have heard tell of your great deeds, and I believe that you can help me from stopping this danger from destroying all we know."

Torkan

Spoiler
    Show

Tempus/Kord stood before Torkan, and presented him with the choice;
    "You have been chosen, you have an hour to find what you hold dear. This world is ending, but the universe still has need of your service. You may stand here and die if you wish, but there are many rewards to be had."

Upon accepting his Tempus' offer, Torkan was led to a glistening portal, that shimmered in the air. "This will bring you to your destiny, but before you leave, make sure that you have all that you need. It might be wise to take something with you to remind you of this world, for it may not be here on your return." He lays his hand upon Torkan's shoulder. "These are the stakes of the life you must lead. You have seen the edges of a great blade flying towards the throat of this world, and we must be ready to receive it."
    Last edited by Anonomuss; 2012-11-30 at 03:16 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: [4eDnD] To the Ends of The Multiverse - Group A- IC

Lucien took his pipe out of his mouth and his feet down from the hassock. It was a special seat at the local watering hole that the dwarves had made for their hero. He calls the serving woman over and orders two dwarven stouts.

"Destroying all we know huh? Well I know some of that too. Honestly, the world would be better off without a good deal of it. And what makes you so sure I could be of help," Lucien responds with an involuntary twitch in his right eye. "I'm just a simple runner," he says the last part and the whole of the tavern erupts into laughter as if it is some big joke among the folk here.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Jae

Jae wiped the blood from her chilled blade before sheathing it and adjusting her fiendish helm to fit better after the sage had knocked it loose. She narrows her eyes at the voices intrusion and bends down to examine the way the dead sages blood pools on the floor. "They always seem to be able to tell the future from rocks and intestines. I can't see anything but a mess." She sighs and stands up then walks over to the desk and begins rifling through it. She pauses as she finds a scroll and unrolls it on the desk flat.

"Why do you assume I want to stop the world being destroyed?" She says to the voice. She flips up the faceplate of her helm and leans over the scroll, one bloody finger underlining the words as she read them, lips silently mouthing them. She shakes her head and the faceplate snaps down and she rolls the scroll back up. "I don't care about your riches and money...but you called me by the Dark Sun's name." She shudders as if even mentioning Cyric's title brings a strange mix of pleasure and pain. "If the world ends...then we all die and it doesn't matter. But if it doesn't, I want to know how you know that. And you'll tell me with your last breath...and then I'll kill the person that told you." She says and puts the scroll in her satchel, then stands up.

"I'll help, but your life is my price. How badly do you want to save the world?"
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Durandal

As the figure appraised him, Durandal could only raise an eyebrow and do so in return. Politeness dictated as much. The words that followed were familiar. He had know them for years, and he has known his reply for years as well.

"I have heard the words 'inevitable defeat' many times, and shown that what is thought to be inevitable can often be changed through a little effort. In other words, those are the words of lesser folk. What is your place in the world?" asked Durandal. Before the figure before him could respond, Durandal continued, "Let's go. I can say no to your offer, but I will not allow myself to and neither will the prophecy. I've always liked going on adventures anyway."

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+15)[21]
    Insight - (1d20+11)[14]
    Last edited by Silver Coin; 2012-12-01 at 12:09 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Torkan, Warpriest of Tempus
    Torkan, surprised at first, looks at his god without fear. He looks at his things, and searches through his pack, making sure he has everything he need. "I do not carry anything I do not wish to leave with immediately, mighty Tempus. I am a wanderer, as you know, so everything I hold dear, I have with me." Torkan then listens to the rest of Tempus' words, "If the edge of the blade is coming towards me, then there is nothing I can do but meet it with my axe. I am ready, Tempus, for you to take me where you think I should be. I shall be your weapon, Tempus." With that, he slung his axe over his shoulder, ready for Tempus to take him where ever it is Tempus is going to take him.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2012-12-01 at 12:10 AM.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Aurora listens carefully to the wind on the water before replying. " I do not know if you speak the truth Ronin but the morning has brought the winds of change and I am always eager to help good people. I will agree to help. What must be done?" Already packed for a journey Aurora stands ready to embark.

7. - Top - End - #7

Aurora

Spoiler
    Show

Ronin nods, clearly pleased. "We need to be able to do the impossible, stop the inevitable and kill the unkillable."

" But first, Aurora, you must follow me." Ronin gestures with one of his hands and a portal opens behind him. "It is a different sea altogether that we are bound for."

Durandal

Spoiler
    Show

The skin beneath the figure's cloak is just as grey as the robes he wears, with markings of some sort, trailing down the side of his face. His words ring with the Supernal. "It is good to see you know the importance of this journey. I myself am but a humble servant, it is who I work for who will reveal to you exactly the purpose of your adventures, and where it will take you. Before we leave, I was told to give you one last chance to bring anything that is of value to you with you, as you may not return, and if you do, this world may not be the same as it was."

Jae Nevra

Spoiler
    Show

The figure smiles, and lowers his hood, revealing light grey skin, with dark grey markings etched across an aquiline face. The figures eyes are white, and without a pupil, though they glow slightly. The edges of his mouth are curved into a slight smile.

"I am suprised that your service could be rendered so cheaply. I never once imagined that you would want to save the world. This one, or any other. I merely ask that you stop and see the blade that dangles above us all, ready to fall, stands above you too.

I know that the world will end, and you will die with it, if you do not join me, because I have seen the writing on the wall, and heard the whispers on the wind, and felt it grow into being. You will not find the one who told me on in this world, or on any other, nor will they appear on any plane that you could hope to reach. But this...
    " The figure gestures behind himself, to a portal that opened itself as Jae looked on "Will bring you to them."

He opens his arms wide. "But, first, I believe, is the matter of your 'price'."

Lucien

Spoiler
    Show

"I know that you are no ordinary, or simple runner, Lucien Lightstep. Words of the many great deeds have been carried from here, in the mouths of all who hear of them. They can be heard in the laughter of your people, and seen in their eyes. If you are a runner, you are the most exceptional I have ever come across. " The figure's voice appears to lighten as he continues. "And if you are a runner, then you are one fit to carry the messages of Gods and Kings, and then, you are still able to help me. For in this dark time, the Gods have much to say."

Torkan

Spoiler
    Show

"I regret that I cannot follow you, just yet, my loyal warrior. There are many of my faithful who still remain and I must watch over them." He gestures to the portal in front of you. "But this portal, will bring you to one who speaks with my voice, and to whom I am eternally endebted. I wish you luck, and send you forth with my blessing, so that all with know you as a Knight of the Steel Fang."
    Last edited by Anonomuss; 2012-12-01 at 12:59 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Aurora pauses to feel the morning breeze lick at her skin one last time and boldly steps through the portal.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Torkan, Warpriest of Tempus
    In a kind of salute, Torkan slams a hand on his chest over his heart before walking through the portal, completely trusting the god that showed him the way out of slavery, even before he knew the name of Tempus.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

10. - Top - End - #10
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Jae

"Everyone's got a price. Some just refuse to admit it." Jae says as she draws her longsword and holds it even with his throat. "You don't think I know how the world works? You're crazy." She says and looks back over her shoulder for a moment before facing him again. She pulls her sword back and lowers it, makes as if to walk past him and then slams it point first into his stomach.

"You'll die...eventually." She says as she leaves him and walks through the portal, blood still dripping from her sword.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Durandal

"Well, that's interesting. Unless I can bring those dear to me along for the ride, I suggest we move on with this charade. Is that portal safe for extra dimensional storage?" asked Durandal with a wry smile on his face. Somehow, he had though that the events that his life had been leading up to would open with more of a bang than a whimper. This was slightly disappointing.

12. - Top - End - #12

Airmer Sunshadow - [Sigil]

Airmer stands coolly, like a rock in a sea of chaos, while panic unfolds all around him. He rests his right hand comfortably on the pommel of his blade while his eyes sift through the droves of people. His facial expression remains neutral and uncaring as the portal to Evehran violently explodes, unleashing shrapnel and uncontrollable bolts of energy on anyone who was near the blast.

A passerby explains to him that Evehran is no more. For the briefest of moments the eladrin is surprised as he hadn't seen the stranger amongst those gathered in the crowd. His right hand now firmly affixes itself to his sword, as he conjures forth powerful magical energy with the other. Slightly turning his head the eladrin's eyes peer out from under his hood to ascertain a better look at who or what had approached on him. The unassuming form standing before him does little to put him at ease.

He responds to the robed figure's statement with sarcasm and disinterest. "Well if I hadn't just seen the portal blow my own eyes you might have actually peaked my interest. However, unfortunately for you, you're a day late and a gold coin short. Now if you could just run along, that would be great.", he says with a dismissive wave of his hand.

As he turns around the stranger starts spewing some nonsense about Evehran being the first of many worlds to burn if nothing is done. The eladrin folds his arms, clearly not impressed. "Is that so?", Airmer challenges while dismissively cocking his head to the side. "How do you know, and more importantly why should I care? I have more important things to do then play hero to the worlds that are in so called 'danger'."
    Last edited by Hircine; 2012-12-02 at 05:48 AM.
    Currently DMing:

Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

Currently Playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

For the first time in a while he'd felt that alien presence within his head.

"hrmm... g... goooo"

"Did it just say, 'go'," Lucien silently wondered.

Lucien was usually able to keep it quiet by downing a few pints of dwarven brew, but he hadn't had the chance. His daily drink had been interrupted.

"The gods and I have never really been on speaking terms. If they are reaching a hand out my way, then they must be desperate."

Lucien stand up and grabs his gear.

"Well uh... you, I won't keep 'em waiting any more then. Lead the way."