New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar Questions Thread! (You ask, I'll answer)

How powerful is the Fraternity of Order (In terms of both the institution's individual power and the strength of beings who would aid it), and how is it organized (Who leads it, how many would identify with the order, what strongholds does it have)?
    There is the moral of all human tales;
    'Tis but the same rehearsal of the past.
    First freedom and then Glory - when that fails,
    Wealth, vice, corruption - barbarism at last.
    And History, with all her volumes vast,
    Hath but one page...

2. - Top - End - #692
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Can you elaborate on this plane, please? I've seen it mentioned in a few source books, but never in a cosmology chart.
    That would be because it's one of the optional planes from Manual of the Planes, like the Elemental Plane of Wood or the Plane of Mirrors.

Planar traits
    Light gravity, infinite, alterable morphic, mildly neutral, enhanced arcane magic, flowing time (days here are weeks on the Prime).

location of the plane
    Coexistent with the Material Plane; not at all connected to the Astral, Ethereal or Shadow Planes. Faerie occupies a strange metaphysical zone, and its various incarnations (the wandering realm of the Seelie Court, the Fading Lands that serve as the manors of individual fey lords just off the Material Plane, the supposed Demiplane of Faerie within the Ethereal Plane) all do likewise, interacting with other planes in what is certainly a most unlikely fashion.

power groups
    The denizens of the Plane of Faerie are known as sidhe, and they are (rather lazily) modeled as elves with the half-fiend or half celestial template. Shows how much effort and detail went into this one.

Beyond the sidhe, Seelie and Unseelie versions of other fey creatures reside on the plane, as well as folkloric beasts such as nightmares and yeth hounds.

how the denizens move to and from the plane without planeshift SLAs
    The plane naturally forms portals that intersect with attuned locations on the Material Plane. Faerie rings, standing stones, that sort of thing. Most often these aren't "always on" and only open during the new or full moon, or when struck by a drop of morning dew, or other such folkloric things.

interesting tidbits, and other other useful general information, specifically.
    Go buy the darn book already.

Other useful material on the Seelie and Unseelie Courts has been compiled here.

Quote Originally Posted by Menteith View Post
    How powerful is the Fraternity of Order (In terms of both the institution's individual power and the strength of beings who would aid it), and how is it organized (Who leads it, how many would identify with the order, what strongholds does it have)?
    Well, right now it's pretty beaten-up. Prior to the Faction War (I'm going to regret this, I know it), they were fairly powerful, wielding the might of obscure law joined to allegiances with obtuse law enforcers. With their factol murdered during the war, their faction evicted from Sigil and the amount of damage they took during the war in terms of numbers, the Guvners have hit an all-time low.

The Guvners are led jointly by candidates Janis (a cleric of Oghma) and Lady Nancias Garabutos (a wizardess) from their outpost on Mechanus, the Fortress of Disciplined Enlightenment. Their bureaucratic structure is currently undergoing a bit of a shakeup as administrative positions are filled and the faction is reorganized to contend with its new role (or lack thereof) in the multiverse. Bureau chiefs of all ranks have been demoted, pushed out or otherwise reassigned to cover the gaps while the co-factols work towards piecing together a new order that takes Sigil out of the equation. As they relied on other factions to do the enforcing, the Guvners now try to cultivate relationships with the inevitables (good luck with that) to cover enforcement of the laws as they have compiled them.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2013-01-16 at 01:41 AM.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

3. - Top - End - #693

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Nasty creatures. Big, vicious-looking mutes with power sets that vary depending on the number of tentacles they possess. All choles have 4, 7, 9 or 13 tentacles (only two of which they control) and a nasty breath of poisonous fumes that causes ability damage.
    Any connection to the far realm?

You need some degree of experience to actually display the skills associated with class levels. Dretches don't tend to get much combat experience that doesn't result in one of death or promotion.
    Is this true for all exemplars?

...uh, what else do you want to know?
    Goals, personality's, minions, origins...everything really. I assume that there isn't much info on them?

Really though, you're looking at a shapeshifted angel of some sort getting all Discovery Channel about how exactly Friendship Is Magic.

Please don't ask questions like this.
    C-can I sig this? It's just too beautiful ಠ_ರೃ.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Troll in the Playground

If the Far Realm is likened to chaos despite not being truly of Chaos, then Tharizdun is its counterpart in relation to Evil. Even the most blackhearted gods and sinister fiends would be averse to working with the Chained God if they knew of his involvement in events. That this entity retains so much power within the Demiplane of Imprisonment, and yet can move and operate beyond it in many guises, is what sets him (or it) apart from other elder evils and inspires dread in the gods.
    This comparison stood out to me. Are there any other beings / locations that can be said to be similar, but for Good / Law? One could theoretically say that the Lady was one for Neutrality. The only place I can think of might qualify for good would be Chronias...

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 123456789blaaa View Post
    Any connection to the far realm?
    Nope. Just violently tentacular.

Is this true for all exemplars?
    No. Mid-rankers often grow in skills (hound archons, for example, are canonically shown to take class levels) as mortals do, rather than growing in spiritual power/essence. High-rankers tend to grow in spiritual power because it outstrips whatever class levels they could take at that point (Clr1 is a bit pointless for a balor, as is Wiz1).

Goals, personality's, minions, origins...everything really. I assume that there isn't much info on them?
    There is not. I'll give you what I have, though.

Dwiergus, the Chrysalis Prince, is old even among the obyriths. Driven by a particularly malignant form of chaos, his goal, which he pursues lazily, is to transform all life into demons. He's lazy, capricious, indolent and not particularly arrogant. Dwiergus has very few servants; even his latest creations tend to get swept deep into the oozing pits of his realm. His most able and trusted servants are sibriex.

Lamashtu was a onetime lover of Pazuzu who knew and abused his true name. For her treacheries, Pazuzu destroyed her eyes and imprisoned her deep within the Abyss, where she lies impaled on a spire. Her goals are release and revenge, and she has no known significant minions.

C-can I sig this? It's just too beautiful ಠ_ರೃ.
    Sure, why not.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Troll in the Playground

Are there any books with specific fluff information on Modrons?

Septons are, as I understand it, supposed to be in charge of Inspection. What do they inspect, and how do they get their job done while only commanding Octons?

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    This comparison stood out to me. Are there any other beings / locations that can be said to be similar, but for Good / Law? One could theoretically say that the Lady was one for Neutrality. The only place I can think of might qualify for good would be Chronias...
    Chronias may indeed qualify for Good in that regard, and I'd say that in some ways the Lady herself qualifies for Law.

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    Are there any books with specific fluff information on Modrons?
    Every monster source they appear in, as well as Planes of Law and The Great Modron March.

Septons are, as I understand it, supposed to be in charge of Inspection. What do they inspect, and how do they get their job done while only commanding Octons?
    Septons inspect everything. Structures, layouts, work processes, records... you name it, they'll oversee it. Octons, as sector governors, can distribute inspection results down their own personal chain of command with great efficiency, distributing the findings of septons to where they are needed. Septons also report to the hextons, who oversee clusters (four sectors apiece), for inter-sector matters. Reports to hextons can also go up the line to the tertians or even the secundi; though the septons don't personally know that these beings exist or are modrons, it understands in its role that there is a higher authority concerned with judicial control and quadrant supervision.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Firbolg in the Playground

Do the forces of Mechanus invade the Prime Material plane? If so, why?

If a being wanted to take advantage of Mechanus' unparalleled ability to gather information, would it be possible to bargain with them for knowledge - say by offering to obliterate a demon lord or another significant source of Chaos?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

9. - Top - End - #699
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Do the forces of Mechanus invade the Prime Material plane? If so, why?
    Depends which forces you're talking about.

Inevitables go and bother Primes all the time. Formians sometimes invade Prime worlds to set up hives. The modrons would only go to repair something like a planar breach to Limbo or hunt down a rogue hierarch who had given the inevitables the slip. Modrons are occasionally called as planar allies by powerful societies of law - there is evidence that followers of the Pharaonic pantheon have been visited by modrons in this manner - but in general they are highly disinterested in the Prime.

If a being wanted to take advantage of Mechanus' unparalleled ability to gather information, would it be possible to bargain with them for knowledge - say by offering to obliterate a demon lord or another significant source of Chaos?
    Depends who you're bargaining with. Modrons can make use of materials with powerful magical properties just like anyone else - gold is good everywhere, though they won't take kindly to a bribe, and modrons have a particular interest in diamonds. Lower hierarchs can negotiate contracts for the sale of information; elite hierarchs have a lot more at their disposal, but their time is valuable and you'll need a referral (one you haven't bribed someone for, either, or you'll come to the meeting and find an inevitable waiting there). The means for securing such a referral might spring from your deeds in the struggle against chaos.

As for Primus... Primus knows whether or not you need his help. He's Primus.

10. - Top - End - #700

So is any attempt to pay for such services a bribe, or does it only start becoming a bribe when they say 'no' and you offer to pay?

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

So is any attempt to pay for such services a bribe, or does it only start becoming a bribe when they say 'no' and you offer to pay?
    I think that it is perfectly reasonable for a lawful entity to set up an information brokering service, with clear rules and set prices. Obviously, it is only OK to sell a specific information if the entity has been given the green light by his superiors. If you try to force THAT issue by offering more money, then it is bribery, I guess.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

Ehh, much the same as in the real world; if they're selling you their own time, that's legit. If you're paying for the information itself (as in, it's not them working on something for you, it's them handing over privileged info), then it's a bribe. And if you're trying to buy their time plus their access... that is probably also a bribe.

Anyone have any more questions? Still open for business.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Troll in the Playground

Ehh, much the same as in the real world; if they're selling you their own time, that's legit. If you're paying for the information itself (as in, it's not them working on something for you, it's them handing over privileged info), then it's a bribe. And if you're trying to buy their time plus their access... that is probably also a bribe.

Anyone have any more questions? Still open for business.
    Ok, now I'm wondering if Afro is really a modron...
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, now I'm wondering if Afro is really a modron...
    No no no. I'm on the other side. And down a bit.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Ogre in the Playground

No no no. I'm on the other side. And down a bit.
    That is the most blunt confession for being a Demon, I've ever heard.
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

16. - Top - End - #706

Could you list all of the monsters that come from the far realm or are related to it in some way? Or are there too many?

17. - Top - End - #707

Who/what is Chronius?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

18. - Top - End - #708
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    That is the most blunt confession for being a Demon, I've ever heard.
    Brother, I am all the demons.

Could you list all of the monsters that come from the far realm or are related to it in some way? Or are there too many?
    Oi... this will take a few.

Spoiler
    Show
    Monster Manual
    • Aboleth (tenuous connection)
    • Cloaker (origin)
    • Gibbering Mouther
    • Skum (via aboleth)

Monster Manual II
    • Moonbeast (possible)
    • Mooncalf (possible)
    • Psurlon (reprinted in Lords of Madness)
    • Rukanyr (via kaorti)
    • Skybleeder (via kaorti)
    • Windghost (possible)
    • Wyste

Monster Manual III
    • Mindshredder (possible)
    • Runehound (possible)

Monster Manual IV
    • Zern (possible)

Monster Manual V
    • Mind Flayers of Thoon

Draconomicon
    • Squamous Spewer

Dragon
    • Aleku (Dragon 348)
    • Amoebic Crawler (Dragon 330)
    • Cranial Encyster (Dragon 330)
    • Kaortic Hulk (Dragon 330)
    • Kyra (Dragon 348)
    • Nightseed (Dragon 330)
    • Urquirsh (Dragon 358)

Dungeon
    • The Thing From the Lake (Dungeon 134)

Elder Evils
    • Brood Spawn template

Epic Level Handbook
    • Neh-Thalggu
    • Pseudonatural Creature template (reprinted in Lords of Madness)
    • Uvuudaum

Fiend Folio
    • Kaorti (reprinted in Dragon 358)

Frostburn
    • Snowcloak (origin)

Lords of Madness
    • Cloaker, Shadowcloak Elder (origin)
    • Half-Farspawn template
    • Shaboath (via aboleth)

Monsters of Faerun
    • Cloaker Lord (origin)

Planar Handbook
    • Dharculus

Possibly missed a few; weeding them out is tricky. Added in a few possibles (usually creatures not linked there, but mentioned as having a creepy otherworldly origin, or no mentioned origin).

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Who/what is Chronius?
    Chronias is the 7th layer of Mount Celestia, a layer that none have ever ascended to and returned from... none save Zaphkiel, the ruler of all archonkind. All that is known of Chronias is that it is a place of great and blinding light, and ostensibly a realm of pure and utter good. Lawfully speaking.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2013-01-17 at 05:56 PM.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Banned

OK, I've heard of Thoon, but what's the deal there? Illithid are from this reality's future, so they're not from the Far Realm, right?

20. - Top - End - #710
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Answerer View Post
    OK, I've heard of Thoon, but what's the deal there? Illithid are from this reality's future, so they're not from the Far Realm, right?
    Well, oddly enough, they still could be. There's theoretically a point when current mind flayers have all died off and their future predecessors (oh, time travel, you wacky girl you) have not yet appeared. That origin is unknown.

However, the link to Thoon and the Far Realm has nothing to do with their origins, and everything to do with them being invasive tyrannical nosey parkers. They sent ships into the far reaches of the Astral Plane (which is in and of itself a trick), and one nautiloid ran afoul of some nightmarish fold or flaw in the multiverse that expelled them into the Far Realm. They returned - or were sent back - and are now a very special kind of crazy (that is to say, even other flayers think there's something a bit peery about these ones).

21. - Top - End - #711

Could you tell us more about Thoon?

Also, if clerics can get spells from non-gods because their power comes from their belief, than why can't clerics worshipping elder evils get spells?

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ettin in the Playground

Brother, I am all the demons.
    Which brother are you talking to? Pandemonium or Carceri?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

Could you tell us more about Thoon?
    I'm thorry, you thaid you wanted to hear about thomething Thoon? What would you like to dithcuth right now?

Pause for mood change.

Thoon is a... something... that the mind flayers of the lost nautiloid hold to be their ideal, something that the multiverse had never heard of before the lost nautiloid returned. Thoon might be a philosophy; it might be an abomination of the Far Realm, or a vestige, or a god of the lost void between what is and what should never be. It might be no more than a manifestation of a collective insanity.

Whatever Thoon is, it is inarguable that it is somehow linked to quintessence, a magical material found randomly in living things. Those who are "of Thoon" are the only ones capable of discovering this quintessence, which appears to their searches as a dark nebula around the life-form containing it. When extracted, using means devised in that place of horror beyond reality, quintessence is a potent magical liquid, green in color, that is used by the illithids and the thrallcreatures they command to experiment on other life forms and with inchoate magics.

The nature of Thoon may never be known, for to those who returned and those who come after, Thoon is. No method yet attempted has been able to prompt any of the mind flayers of Thoon to speak more of their strange worship, and even under powerful compulsions and charms they react with genuine confusion to being asked to define Thoon.

It may be that "Thoon" is an attempt by the creatures before their strange metamorphosis to name what they experienced... although the illithid language is not spoken and rarely written, the terminal "hoon" indicates "an abomination, one who is an outsider," and the lemma "th" indicates action and power. If this is the case, "Thoon" may be a constructed term indicating "that which creates abomination" or "that which casts out."

Admit it, you just wanted me to be creepy again.

Also, if clerics can get spells from non-gods because their power comes from their belief, than why can't clerics worshipping elder evils get spells?
    Can you get me a citation on that? It's not showing up in my book.

Off the cuff, I'd say it has to do with the malefic properties of elder evils; specifically as relate to casting off, abjuring and repudiating the divine. Belief does not touch them, and the qualities of belief will not manifest of them.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Banned

Whatever Thoon is, it is inarguable that it is somehow linked to quintessence, a magical material found randomly in living things. Those who are "of Thoon" are the only ones capable of discovering this quintessence, which appears to their searches as a dark nebula around the life-form containing it. When extracted, using means devised in that place of horror beyond reality, quintessence is a potent magical liquid, green in color, that is used by the illithids and the thrallcreatures they command to experiment on other life forms and with inchoate magics.
    I'm guessing that this is unrelated to the time-stopping substance created with the psionic power?

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Answerer View Post
    I'm guessing that this is unrelated to the time-stopping substance created with the psionic power?
    Quite so. No relation at all.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ogre in the Playground

If you were running a game, and wanted to evoke the following emotions, which planes would you use?
    • Raw terror.
    • Nausea.
    • A looming discomfort, a sense of the eerie.
    • Peace.
    • The ultimate futility of one's existence.

EDIT: Throw sadness and anger into the mix, though I imagine they're more difficult to get from environments.

And yes, I am aware that good technique will do more than any setting for evoking feelings - I'm just curious.
    Last edited by Fortuna; 2013-01-18 at 03:10 AM.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Random_person View Post
    If you were running a game, and wanted to evoke the following emotions, which planes would you use?
    • Raw terror.
    • Nausea.
    • A looming discomfort, a sense of the eerie.
    • Peace.
    • The ultimate futility of one's existence.

And yes, I am aware that good technique will do more than any setting for evoking feelings - I'm just curious.
    Well, I don't know if there's a best answer, but for me:

Terror: Baator
    Nausea: Probably one of several layers of the Abyss
    Discomfort: Shadow, maybe the Ethereal.
    Peace: Elysium
    Futility: Hades, maybe Mechanus
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-01-18 at 03:00 AM.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ogre in the Playground

What more can you tell me about the Vasharan ranging from Culture, to average life, to belief structure, to common alignments. Pretty much anything you can possibly think of on the subject.
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

29. - Top - End - #719
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well I am sad that I cant seem to find the original post but someone commented on the method Io told the first dragons how to breed in exchange for there divinity.

Anyways the method was to sever a limb witch grew back and the limb itself grew into a aduld dragon to be there mate and the blood spilled is what made the kobolds.

Its in races of the dragon page 50.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Titan in the Playground

Why is Fell not Mazed, dead or both?
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika