New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Emblem

1. - Top - End - #151
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Fire Emblem

Oh god how am I going to wait the three weeks until my first round of prelims is completely finished.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

So I got this game the other night and it's awesome. I am on chapter 15, Hard Classic. I lost the Knight you get early on and Anna, but I wasn't planning on using either of them much anyway. Haven't done any reclassing, but I think I'll go back and playthrough on Normal after I beat the game to do different supports and reclass.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Well, got my first Second Seal, from the fame rewards section. Used it immediately on my Avatar, Selene, making her a Pegasus Knight as planned. And wow, I can't believe how well pairing her with Strahl is working now that I've made that change. They complement each other other perfectly, with Selene boosting Strahl's lacking speed so much he can double most enemies and his resistance enough that he can almost tank magic as well as he can physical attacks (and he's on par with a Knight in defense), and Strahl having similar impact on Selene's strength and defense. And with both being mounted I can pretty freely switch around who is on point without worrying about losing mobility. It's pretty amazing.

I just wish Selene had raised her magic a bit higher before I changed her, given I'm trying to make her a Dark Flier. She only hit 9 magic by level 11 in Tactician, and that dropped by a point due to the class switch. (Surprisingly, moving from Tactician to Pegasus Knight only loses 1 point each in magic and defense, and gains quite a bit in skill, speed, and resistance - it was a pretty darn good trade.) Still, I guess given I intend to have her go through 20 levels of Pegasus Knight in full before promoting, the growth rate her magic has even in that class, and the boosts she'll get from becoming a Dark Flier, she should be okay there, and I'm just worrying too much.

I did find another character I'm going to class-change though - Cordelia. I rather like her, but I already have two Pegasus Knights each going for a different promoted class (Sumia and Selene), so a third seems a bit much. Looks like she'll make a fine Mercenary though - pity that means yet another sword-user, but I don't have a Mercenary yet, so eh, I'll go with it. Just need another couple of Second Seals and to train her a few levels in non-story encounters.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Awakening: Paralogue nine.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cynthia attacks Chrom. I seriously consider resetting. Chrom's Aether activates. I facepalm. Miracle activates, and Cynthia dodges the final attack. I'm left speechless. One freaking hit point.
    Last edited by Goldfly; 2013-02-09 at 11:08 AM.
    Awesome Shiny Butterfree avatar by Terry576.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, a question for the strategists:

In Awakening, my tactician Avatar (Bram) is currently level 17. The enemies are about level 6. Should I not be funneling the exp into Bram?

6. - Top - End - #156

How many second seals and master seals can you get?

Do you download DLC from the Nintendo Eshop?

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    How many second seals and master seals can you get?

Do you download DLC from the Nintendo Eshop?
    As many as you want; they're just sold in some of the item shops and money isn't that hard to come by.

The DLC is purchased and downloaded in-game, but you pay from your Eshop account, so basically yes.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

8. - Top - End - #158

Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    As many as you want; they're just sold in some of the item shops and money isn't that hard to come by.

The DLC is purchased and downloaded in-game, but you pay from your Eshop account, so basically yes.
    Alright, thanks. Do I have to wait for a certain point to buy the DLC? What are all the ways to get money in this game? And thanks.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, thanks. Do I have to wait for a certain point to buy the DLC?
    Yes, but it's not far. After mission 4 you unlock the area on the World Map that lets you acquire and play the DLC missions.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2013-02-09 at 11:32 AM.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Yes, but it's not far. After mission 4 you unlock the area on the World Map that lets you acquire and play the DLC missions.
    And I pay then, or before?

Must hold off until February 21, must hold off until February 21...

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, thanks. Do I have to wait for a certain point to buy the DLC? What are all the ways to get money in this game? And thanks.
    The map location you access the DLC from opens up after Chapter 4 (i.e. pretty early on in the game).

You make money by selling off items, and there are special Small, Medium, and Large "Bullion" items whose only purpose is to be sold off for money. You'll come across a pretty good amount of money dropped by enemies in the story missions (even more if you open chests and chase down thieves), and the enemies in the repeatable random skirmishes always drop one or two small bullions per battle. Aside from that, I think there's a Barbarian skill that gives you a chance to earn money on defeating a foe, but I haven't tried it.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

And I pay then, or before?
    Then, of course - you don't get charged until you're ready to download it, and you can't download it until you unlock that area. Though the first one is free for the first month anyway.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Has anyone here ever thought about reclassing Chrom into an Archer from his base class? I find it rather bizarre that he has the capability to, seems like a self-imposed challenge more than anything, especially if he were to go to Sniper.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starsign View Post
    Has anyone here ever thought about reclassing Chrom into an Archer from his base class? I find it rather bizarre that he has the capability to, seems like a self-imposed challenge more than anything, especially if he were to go to Sniper.
    Nah, I don't I'd ever reclass Chrom at all. Doesn't seem right to change the main character away from being a Lord.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

So, I heard there was a new Fire Emblem...So I guess I'll finally have to get a new DS...Oh well. It's high time I got back into Fire Emblem anyway. Once more into the breach!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

16. - Top - End - #166

SwashbucklerGuy

Nah, I don't I'd ever reclass Chrom at all. Doesn't seem right to change the main character away from being a Lord.
    I'm glad they gave you the ability to do so actually, especially when only two characters each come as Cavalier or Archer... But I find it odd he can go to Archer as I don't think his stats do that well as one. (particularly as a Lord)

That and Archers are a bit of a mixed bag in the series. Either they'll be awesome as a bow user, like in FE7 where Rebecca and Wil are awesome or in FE10 where Rolf and Shinon kick so much butt compared to the nerfed Paladins. (Leonardo though is absolute trash) Or Archers will be awful, like in FE6 where you have no reason to use Wolt and Rebecca over Sue and Shin, or FE9 where Paladins dominate the game to the point where Rolf and Shinon just come off as pointless ground units compared to Oscar, Astrid, and Geoffrey.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2013-02-09 at 11:50 AM.

17. - Top - End - #167

Then, of course - you don't get charged until you're ready to download it, and you can't download it until you unlock that area. Though the first one is free for the first month anyway.
    Damn, I may have to get it earlier to make sure I can get the stuff for free.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

That and Archers are a bit of a mixed bag in the series. Either they'll be awesome as a bow user, like in FE7 where Rebecca and Wil are awesome or in FE10 where Rolf and Shinon kick so much butt compared to the nerfed Paladins. (Leonardo though is absolute trash) Or Archers will be awful, like in FE6 where you have no reason to use Wolt and Rebecca over Sue and Shin, or FE9 where Paladins dominate the game to the point where Rolf and Shinon just come off as pointless ground units compared to Oscar, Astrid, and Geoffrey.
    Leonardo isn't trash. He is however, far overshadowed by the marginally better statwise and far easier to train, Shinon and Rolf. It's not a case of him being bad. It's just a case of him not being godly when the competition is.

In FE6, the biggest problem is snipers don't get crit chance. Stats were lower all around in 6 than the later games and when snipers don't even get the awesomely broken +30% crit FE6 used, there really is no reason to use them over a bow-unit who can move further and also wield swords.

And Rolf isn't bad in 9 if you give him some love, but yeah... Paladins were amazing in that game.

19. - Top - End - #169

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Leonardo isn't trash. He is however, far overshadowed by the marginally better statwise and far easier to train, Shinon and Rolf. It's not a case of him being bad. It's just a case of him not being godly when the competition is.

In FE6, the biggest problem is snipers don't get crit chance. Stats were lower all around in 6 than the later games and when snipers don't even get the awesomely broken +30% crit FE6 used, there really is no reason to use them over a bow-unit who can move further and also wield swords.

And Rolf isn't bad in 9 if you give him some love, but yeah... Paladins were amazing in that game.
    You pretty much have it nailed down better than I do. Coincidently the Crit Bonus is exactly why I always thought Swordmasters are the best sword users for FE6.

Due to how FE4 works (deploying the entire army) archers kinda come off as another unit rather than something that debates you whether to take or not. In FE5 however the issue is less with the class and more with the characters. Tanya has no skills when she joins and really needs her Build stat to grow to take advantage of her speed. Rowan however is absolute garbage, sporting a 50% Magic growth and 15% strength growth. HOW do you screw that up?

In FE11 I mostly recall archers being unremarkable... In FE12 however, Snipers are amazing due to their stat caps compared to Horsemen. They have a 30 cap Skill and 29 cap Speed growth, only surpassed by Swordmasters. They get great stats, the only issue is getting there as Archer is a rather mediocre class to be in. The only ones I'd generally use as an Archer/Sniper is Ryan and Norne... Even then I'd rather try to raise Norne's lance rank as a Pegasus Knight in case she makes for an excellent General.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    So, I heard there was a new Fire Emblem...So I guess I'll finally have to get a new DS...
    3DS, actually.

Damn, I may have to get it earlier to make sure I can get the stuff for free.
    No, you should be fine getting it on the 21st. The game just came out less than a week ago, so that first month free bit extends until early March. You'll have plenty of time.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

In FE11 I mostly recall archers being unremarkable... In FE12 however, Snipers are amazing due to their stat caps compared to Horsemen. They have a 30 cap Skill and 29 cap Speed growth, only surpassed by Swordmasters. They get great stats, the only issue is getting there as Archer is a rather mediocre class to be in. The only ones I'd generally use as an Archer/Sniper is Ryan and Norne... Even then I'd rather try to raise Norne's lance rank as a Pegasus Knight in case she makes for an excellent General.
    Castor was amazing for me in FE3, despite the fact that the only thing Hunters gain by being a Horseman is a Horse (+2 to Skill and Defense, and +3 to Move,) which they lose whenever the map takes place indoors. However, his strength is amazing, so he was basically the first choice for Parthia. Also, odd quirk: Horsemen don't count as mounted units for the effective bonuses of Knight Killer or Rapier.

FE11 did some weird things to some character's growths (see also, Wolf and Sedgar)
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

22. - Top - End - #172

3DS, actually.

No, you should be fine getting it on the 21st. The game just came out less than a week ago, so that first month free bit extends until early March. You'll have plenty of time.
    Ah, that's a relief. Thanks!

Ahaha oh man I got so freaking blessed with Ryan when I played with him. He ended up capping defense at about level 5 or 6 promoted, and by the end of the game he'd capped everything but magic and resistance. Actually, I think he'd capped everything but HP, magic, luck, and res by level 9 or 10 promoted. He had a higher crit chance than Swordsmaster MU.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-02-09 at 12:57 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    Castor was amazing for me in FE3, despite the fact that the only thing Hunters gain by being a Horseman is a Horse (+2 to Skill and Defense, and +3 to Move,) which they lose whenever the map takes place indoors. However, his strength is amazing, so he was basically the first choice for Parthia. Also, odd quirk: Horsemen don't count as mounted units for the effective bonuses of Knight Killer or Rapier.

FE11 did some weird things to some character's growths (see also, Wolf and Sedgar)
    FE12 did, among other things, remove the whole dismounting idea, which I think was for the best. I have heard Castor is also incredible in FE12 (coming with a Killer Bow helps) but I favored Draug as a Hunter over him (bad idea in retrospect, Draug hasn't gained a SINGLE point of Defense in 10 levels)

Also I know Wolf and Sedgar are impossibly broken in FE11, but in FE12 I have heard they are irredeemably horrible. Can someone confirm this? I'm still stuck in Chapter 11

Ahaha oh man I got so freaking blessed with Ryan when I played with him. He ended up capping defense at about level 5 or 6 promoted, and by the end of the game he'd capped everything but magic and resistance.
    That's what my Ryan is going through right now. His stats are so good it's not even funny. Once he gets into Sniper (he, along with the rest of my group, averages level 12-13 at Chapter 11 barring prepromotes) he will be amazing

24. - Top - End - #174

FE12 did, among other things, remove the whole dismounting idea, which I think was for the best. I have heard Castor is also incredible in FE12 (coming with a Killer Bow helps) but I favored Draug as a Hunter over him (bad idea in retrospect, Draug hasn't gained a SINGLE point of Defense in 10 levels)

Also I know Wolf and Sedgar are impossibly broken in FE11, but in FE12 I have heard they are irredeemably horrible. Can someone confirm this? I'm still stuck in Chapter 11
    Yeah. You get them close to the endgame and they suck.

That's what my Ryan is going through right now. His stats are so good it's not even funny. Once he gets into Sniper (he, along with the rest of my group, averages level 12-13 at Chapter 11 barring prepromotes) he will be amazing
    I know. And Rody ended up just as amazing, also capping damn near everything (I think he ended up 1 point off the defense cap?) My A-team was Swordsmaster MU, Sniper Ryan, Paladin Luke, Paladin Rody, Dracoknight Catria, Falcoknight Palla, and then I swapped between Sage Merric and Sage Linde, using them both whenever possible since I love mages. Merric turned out to be a wonderful clutch player. My favorite example:
    Spoiler
    Show
    He ended up critting with Excalibur on the final boss after rescuing his girlfriend, and changed the final level from a dice-roll to one-hit-kill on Marth's part. Merric, I think after that performance, Marth would let you make out with his sister even in his presence as much as you two want (referencing an in-game conversation after the rescue).
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-02-09 at 01:11 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175

SwashbucklerGuy

Yeah. You get them close to the endgame and they suck.

I know. And Rody ended up just as amazing, also capping damn near everything (I think he ended up 1 point off the defense cap?) My A-team was Swordsmaster MU, Sniper Ryan, Paladin Luke, Paladin Rody, and then I swapped between Merric and...I forget what the female mage's name was again, whoops. Merric turned out to be a wonderful clutch player.
    I've actually never touched Merric at all since I got him. With how well Malliesia, Linde, and Yumina are turning out so far, I've felt that a male mage, with one exception (see below) isn't needed. (and since I know how endgame is, I'm shooting myself in the foot by not using Merric or Julian at all) I find Nosferatu too fun a spell and Aura is great too.

Speaking of crutches, Etzel is amazing for a prepromoted Sorcerer. With his surprisingly decent growths, good bases, and a class that is incredibly valuable for the point he joins at, I dare call him the best crutch character the series has ever known.

26. - Top - End - #176

I've actually never touched Merric at all since I got him. With how well Malliesia, Linde, and Yumina are turning out so far, I've felt that a male mage, with one exception (see below) isn't needed. (and since I know how endgame is, I'm shooting myself in the foot by not using Merric or Julian at all) I find Nosferatu too fun a spell and Aura is great too.

Speaking of crutches, Etzel is amazing for a prepromoted Sorcerer. With his surprisingly decent growths, good bases, and a class that is incredibly valuable for the point he joins at, I dare call him the best crutch character the series has ever known.
    My Merric turned out pretty decent. He's pretty tanky for a mage, or maybe that's just because Linde's so frail defensively and pretty much everyone on my team got defense-blessed. But he nearly capped magic and I don't regret using him at all. But like I said, I just love mages. My three favorite units are swordsmasters, heroes, and sages.

You don't have to fight with Merric or Julian (or Sirius or Minerva) if you're fast and lucky.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You've got to pass around the warp staves and kill the final boss in one turn to avoid using them. That's why I was cheering when Merric critted.

And I said clutch player, not crutch player. A clutch player is someone who will reliably come through when you need him to perform well the most. I think Merric won in that category. Well, actually, all my A-Team units did. And Linde did something just as fantastic in the previous chapter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    She critted against the mage guy who's the penultimate final boss with Starlight. Twice. And the mage guy missed against her, when if he had hit the mook who hit her next would have killed her. He had like a 70% hit chance too.

So basically in my playthrough I ended up with mostly defensively-blessed clutch players.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-02-09 at 01:17 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

3DS, actually.

In addition, it depends on what you're looking for.

Personally, I'm not overly jazzed about bringing in the paid versions of classic characters (I love support bonuses too much). I'll probably be shelling out for the cash and artifact maps though.

28. - Top - End - #178

As long as they don't cost too much, I'm buying the DLC. Heck, I'm buying the DLC as long as it's not like $50 or something; I've got a job this semester!

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Nah. The second DLC (not the free one) is like $2.50, or you can get the bundle of the first three DLCs for $4.

Anyway, just beat the game last night.

The second to last boss is... Kinda wimpy, and also on a small map.

Or maybe my fliers are just OP...

Spoiler
    Show
    For reference.... I paired Chrom with Sumia, passed along the movement Rally to Cynthia, and had Cherche.

Sumia had been promoted to Dark Flyer, and just learned Galeforce two maps ago, and Chrom was already absurdly OP, being roughly level 54, and on his second trip through Great Lord.

So what did I do?

I loaded up Olivia with Cherche, Chrom with Sumia, and had Cynthia use Rally on them. Flew them both straight across the map, had Olivia dance for Sumia to get an extra turn, and then...

I found myself like 4 spaces short of the boss. But, there was a squishy bishop (I say squishy since it had like 66 HP, a paltry sum) nearby, and a third turn would put me in line to kill the boss.

Crit. Going to kill boss. Easily done with an Aether activation.

TL;DR Killed second to last boss in one turn with OP Sumia and movement boosts.

So yeah. Now I'm going to go try and grind some supports and money, obtain more minions, and then go back and crush the final boss again. And again.

And then onto DLC, when I have the funds. I cannot wait for the Future of Despair packs, because the entire concept of them is awesome.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

30. - Top - End - #180

Wait, what's the level cap in this game?!