New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Playing a construct

Hello everybody!

Recently I got an idea for a character, but I have no idea how to do it within the rules. The basic concept is a young lady who fell ill and nothing could be done about it. Her family wanted to pay a lot of money to save her and found someone who would do it. This person transplanted the young lady's consiousness to a constructed body(made from stone, metal or the like). Of course she didn't age physically but had an amazing mental development(I want her to be something like a bard). We start play at level 8, so LA shouldn't be much of a problem.

So, that is the basic idea, but the only 3.5 templates etc. that I can find have a negative to the mental stats. Does anyone have an idea how I could play this character?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Playing a construct

How about plain warforged with the same background/story?

I think there's a half-golem template somewhere, but it comes with a chance of losing your mind, but that may not be relevant if you start out with it.
    "You! Youngling! You look like the kind of ninja who can't throw an adamantine shuriken at a chicken without ruining both..."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

The problem with warforged is the -2 to charisma, which I am trying to avoid because I like charisma a lot.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

That's fair...

but being turned in to a construct from something else, will most likely alter the way people react to you in a negative... ergo: -2 charisma is perfectly in line with your story.

A story like the one you want should (IMO) come with some numerical effects for your character.

Maybe talk to your DM about making a pretty (no -2 cha), but clumsy(-2 dex) warforged, "because she lost some sense of balance in the change, but she's still just as funny..."
    "You! Youngling! You look like the kind of ninja who can't throw an adamantine shuriken at a chicken without ruining both..."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Raunchel View Post
    The problem with warforged is the -2 to charisma, which I am trying to avoid because I like charisma a lot.
    i like people with charisma too

i would just use a golem's base stats, bring them WAAAY down, make her medium size, you know, the normal doctoring that occurs.
    Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    That's a RAW abuse. Fortunately, like many RAW abuses, it has its counter built in by way of more stupid RAW: tripping does not, in fact, cause you to fall.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

What about a warforged with a template that grants bonus Charisma?

I know the Half-fey template would work, are there any other LA 2 or so templates that give at least +2 Cha?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deaxsa View Post
    i like people with charisma too

i would just use a golem's base stats, bring them WAAAY down, make her medium size, you know, the normal doctoring that occurs.
    ...so basically, nothing like a golem. So essentially you're saying to just make up the stats...which is what the OP is asking for help about.

Anyway: -2 Cha is not a huge loss. There are a couple templates around that raise Cha but lower other scores, Magic-Blooded could be interesting for example.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Anyway: -2 Cha is not a huge loss. There are a couple templates around that raise Cha but lower other scores, Magic-Blooded could be interesting for example.
    Warforged also "age" up to middle-aged, which is +1 to mental scores, but -1 to physical ones.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why not reverse the inarcate construct template?
    Generation 6
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

Dragontouched Feat; Almost as bad as "Lichloved"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/mon...anoids/android

Ask your DM to switch the +2 to Dex and the -2 to Cha around, since you'll be playing a human in mind, but couldn't adjust as easily to your new form in terms of dexterity and control. After that the rest should work fine.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

or talk with your DM and "reincarnate" your character into a construct. pay for the price of a reincarnate or the within-one-round version, and the one level and voila. you have a warforged without mental penalties.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

if you were playing Pathfinder I'd suggest a soulbound doll

might require some work with the DM to convert it but it could still be a good option

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raunchel View Post
    Hello everybody!

Recently I got an idea for a character, but I have no idea how to do it within the rules. The basic concept is a young lady who fell ill and nothing could be done about it. Her family wanted to pay a lot of money to save her and found someone who would do it. This person transplanted the young lady's consiousness to a constructed body(made from stone, metal or the like). Of course she didn't age physically but had an amazing mental development(I want her to be something like a bard). We start play at level 8, so LA shouldn't be much of a problem.

So, that is the basic idea, but the only 3.5 templates etc. that I can find have a negative to the mental stats. Does anyone have an idea how I could play this character?
    do you have any interest in green star adept? it's a prestige class in complete arcane that eventually turns you into a beautiful green statue of yourself. you become immortal and eternal and gain the construct type as the capstone. as you level up, you gain construct-like abilities (resistance and eventual immunity to crits, sneak attacks, stunning, etc)

it's not the best class, but it doesn't sound like optimization is your goal.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition