New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 74 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 2: Find Harder

A103 To my knowledge, natural 1 and 20 only mean absolute failure or success in case of attacks (including combat maneuvers) and saving throws.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Q103a: Which means the note that you can't escape from bindings with a DC greater than 20 + your Escape Artist modifier can't be escaped even when rolling a 20 is completely pointless?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A103a It simply reiterates the obvious. Repeating rules, as long as they're consistent, is rarely pointless.

Q104 Does a Robe of Arcane Heritage grant bonus feats and spells known? It seems like a clear "no", but looking at Dragon Disciple's Blood of Dragons ability (which also advances "powers"), it seems to go out of its way to say that it does not grant spells unless the character can cast them. Probably just odd wording, but I figure it's worth making sure.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gr8artist View Post
    Q 90
    Am I missing something, or is a wondrous items for a permanent enlarge/reduce person ridiculously cheap?
    Estimating GP values for magic items
    Enlarge person spell
    Formula for a continuous effect measured in minutes is: Spell level x Caster level x 2000 x 2
    By my math it comes out to (1)*(1)*(2000)*(2) = 4000 gold.

Like a ring of invisibility, the item can be activated or deactivated as a standard action. Alternatively, you could have it be a permanent effect while wearing the item, but then they'd just slip the ring off and on as a move action.
    Q90 Follow-Up

Wouldn't an Enlarge Person item with a Caster Level of 1 only have a duration of 1 minute? So once I used a standard action to activate it, I would have ten rounds until the effect wore off and then I could use another standard action to activate it again?

"Caster Level (CL): The next item in a notational entry gives the caster level of the item, indicating its relative power. The caster level determines the item's saving throw bonus, as well as range or other level-dependent aspects of the powers of the item (if variable)."

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/magicItems.html

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

@90: No, because the price is either for a use-activated item (for which the constant re-activation would be neccessary) or for a continous item. A continous item would be active all the time ignoring the normal duration of the spell.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    @90: No, because the price is either for a use-activated item (for which the constant re-activation would be neccessary) or for a continous item. A continous item would be active all the time ignoring the normal duration of the spell.
    I thought that to be the case, I have just heard different interpretations on what is meant by "use-activated or continuous" in the magic item creation table. It would have been nice if the WotC for 3E and Paizo for PF would have split the two, EVEN if the calculation is the same. Maybe it doesn't need that but I noticed the more conjunctions that are used in rules, the more the interpretations seem to vary. Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #187
    Banned

Goblin

Q 105

Do spell-like abilities require concentration checks? if so, which class at which spells is posisble to take look on when calculating DC?

Example: Oni Ogre Mage is using spell-like ability Charm Monster in combat and attempts to cast defensively. Spell is granted to bards and Summoners at level 3 and to sorcerers, wizards and witches at level 4. It's DC is therefore 21 (15+6) or 23 (15+8)?
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2013-03-20 at 10:30 AM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

A 105

Yes, you can use concentration when making use of spell-like abilities.

For your specific example, you can always find the level used by reverse-engineering the saving throw DC. The Oni has a +3 Cha mod, so we can tell by the listed DC (17) that it's being treated as a 4th level spell.

More generically, however, if an SLA is a spell on the sorcerer/wizard list, it uses that as it's level regardless of what other lists the spell appears on. If the spell is not a wizard spell, I believe it uses the lowest-level spell level of the lists it appears on (see below). Give me a moment or two and I'll see if I can dig up a quote for you.

edit: Here's everything you need. Emphasis mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Universal Monster rules
    Spell-Like Abilities (Sp) Spell-like abilities are magical and work just like spells (though they are not spells and so have no verbal, somatic, focus, or material components). They go away in an antimagic field and are subject to spell resistance if the spell the ability is based on would be subject to spell resistance.

A spell-like ability usually has a limit on how often it can be used. A constant spell-like ability or one that can be used at will has no use limit; unless otherwise stated, a creature can only use a constant spell-like ability on itself. Reactivating a constant spell-like ability is a swift action. Using all other spell-like abilities is a standard action unless noted otherwise, and doing so provokes attacks of opportunity. It is possible to make a concentration check to use a spell-like ability defensively and avoid provoking an attack of opportunity, just as when casting a spell. A spell-like ability can be disrupted just as a spell can be. Spell-like abilities cannot be used to counterspell, nor can they be counterspelled.

For creatures with spell-like abilities, a designated caster level defines how difficult it is to dispel their spell-like effects and to define any level-dependent variables (such as range and duration) the abilities might have. The creature's caster level never affects which spell-like abilities the creature has; sometimes the given caster level is lower than the level a spellcasting character would need to cast the spell of the same name. If no caster level is specified, the caster level is equal to the creature's Hit Dice. The saving throw (if any) against a spell-like ability is 10 + the level of the spell the ability resembles or duplicates + the creature's Charisma modifier.

Some spell-like abilities duplicate spells that work differently when cast by characters of different classes. A monster's spell-like abilities are presumed to be the sorcerer/wizard versions. If the spell in question is not a sorcerer/wizard spell, then default to cleric, druid, bard, paladin, and ranger, in that order.
    Last edited by Zherog; 2013-03-20 at 10:53 AM. Reason: correction and added a quote
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A90+ The distinction between a use activated and continuous magic item is negligible (they function in the same manner), which is why they're listed as equivalent. Use activated items are not your normal standard action activated magic items which produce effects with a set duration—that's command word activated items and they're priced differently. Use activated items are generally activated as part of the items' normal use (which may or may not be a standard action). For example if a pair of glasses has a use activated read magic effect, it starts to function as soon as someone puts the glasses on and looks through them and doesn't stop functioning until they're unequipped. Both use activated effects (that are not instantaneous) and continuous effects ignore the duration listed in the spell description (although the pricing differs according to that duration).

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Q106 If a Cleric or Druid spontaneously converts a spell slot to a the appropriate spell, as per their feature, and then uses a Pearl of Power, does the original spell return or do I get the spell I converted that slot to?
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A106 You didn't actually convert the spell to anything, you just burned the spell slot (or energy if you will) to fuel your spontaneous casting ability. A pearl of power will restore that spell slot with whatever spell you memorized in it.
    Last edited by Keneth; 2013-03-20 at 10:24 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

@whomever was asking about Whirlwind (Yora?), since I've already typed out the post.

A107a Standard action to activate.
    A107b Usable at will (wild-shaped druid as well).
    A107c Variable height in 5 ft. increments. You can decide on the height when you use the ability and presumably change it with a standard action if need be.
    A107d Most likely the same size as the elemental. Explaining and defining the size would take some effort, although you could house rule it so that the size of the whirlwind is equivalent to the size of the largest creature it can lift up.
    A107e The rules don't specify where inside the whirlwind the creatures are located so presumably you have no control over it, nor do they state where or how the creatures inside are deposited at the end of the effect. You can always fly up and expel them from there however. Which hurts. A lot.
    A107f Larger creatures are affected normally and can be lifted if the whirlwind is large enough.

A107g There's no better-written rules for it, but may I direct you towards this thread I made a little while ago. Feel free to revive it and propose any other problems (as well as possible solutions).

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, it was me. I decided to just give up on both Whirlwind and Vortex.
    But a fire elemantals burn ability might be worth keeping:

Q108: In the description of the burn ability it says "Creatures that hit a burning creature with natural weapons or unarmed attacks take fire damage as though hit by the burning creature and must make a Reflex save to avoid catching on fire."
    Does "burning creature" refer to the creature that has the burn ability, or to any creature currently set on fire by another creatures burn ability?

The later makes more sense, but the elemental special abilities are all written very confusingly.
    Last edited by Yora; 2013-03-21 at 03:53 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Oh, I've just noticed this little gem in the latest errata.

Creatures one or more size categories smaller than the whirlwind might take damage when caught in the whirlwind (generally damage equal to the monster’s slam attack for a creature of its size) and may be lifted into the air.
    No wonder it's even more confusing now. I'll just choose to ignore this loaded bit in my games since it makes no bloody sense anyway. It would do a lot for balance but applying arbitrary limitations to a form with no defined statistics is just plain retarded.

That changes answers 107d and 107f though. As far as RAW is concerned only creatures smaller than the elemental take damage and can be lifted up.

A108 I don't know what the hell is up with that wording, it should be "Creatures that hit the monster with the burn special ability...". Being on fire does not cause other creatures harm, not even if they grapple you. The wording on d20pfsrd.com is clearer, but not official unless there was some unofficial errata on the forums.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Pixie in the Playground

Q109: I was always wondering if Clerics and Paladins can cast spells while using Sword and Shield. I mean I had read spellcasters like Wizards need a hand free to cast somatic spells which makes sense. but are divine spellcasters any different? In most cases those two classes use Heavy Armors and Heavy Shields with one hand weapons. So do I need to drop my weapon or shield top cast a spell?

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

A109: To cast a spell with a somatic component, you need to have at least one free hand. That applies regardless of what spellcasting class you have.
    Simply holding the weapon with the hand of your shield arm as a free action should probably be enough, but that would mean that you don't get your shield bonus to any attacks of opportunity you provoke by casting the spell. Otherwise you would have to first take a move action to sheath your weapon before taking the standard action to cast the spell, or to drop it as a free action and pick it up again as a move action.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A109+ What Yora said is only partially true.

To elaborate on the matter further — If you're using a buckler, you can cast the spell with your buckler hand by forfeiting it's shield bonus or moving your weapon into that hand and then back again, which allows you to either benefit from the shield bonus or the weapon while you're casting the spell.

If you're using light shield, you can move the weapon to your shield hand as a free action and cast the spell with the other hand. This does not forfeit your shield bonus as the hand is specifically stated of being able to hold items, although you can not wield a weapon in the same hand as a light shield (unlike with a buckler). Unfortunately, that hand is most often occupied by your holy symbol, since most divine spells require a divine focus, and therefore cannot hold the weapon as well. That's assuming a focus cannot be held in the spellcasting hand (the rules are vague on that point). Having a reliquary light shield, or a reliquary weapon + light shield, solves that problem by removing the need for a separate divine focus.

If you're using a heavy shield (or tower shield) and a weapon, there's no way for you to cast the spell without putting your weapon away first (and possibly using a reliquary shield) since the shield hand cannot carry anything (including a divine focus). This eats up your move action.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q110

is a target of the spell infernal healing (if casted on enemies) capable of being effected by the smite evil skill from a paladin?

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post
    A103 To my knowledge, natural 1 and 20 only mean absolute failure or success in case of attacks (including combat maneuvers) and saving throws.
    A natural 1 also means an automatic failure for a Use Magic Device skill check. So that breaks the norm on skill checks.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A103+ There are, of course, most likely specific exceptions, but they are always called out in the relevant sections of the rules, so I didn't feel they required a special mention (or the time required to scour of the entirety of the rules looking for them). Moreover, a natural 1 on a Use Magic Device is not an automatic failure, it merely prevents you from making a UMD check for that particular item for 24 hours if and only if the result of the check is actually a failure.

A110 No, the spell will fool a paladin's detect evil ability, but it does not actually change the creature's alignment, nor does it give them the (evil) subtype. Ergo, smite evil has no effect unless the creature is, in fact, evil.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Hendel View Post
    A natural 1 also means an automatic failure for a Use Magic Device skill check. So that breaks the norm on skill checks.
    This is not correct. UMD has a special consequence for a natural 1 that is also a failure. If your bonus is high enough to succeed anyway, then you still succeed. UMD's special rule only kicks in if you roll a 1 and your bonus is insufficient.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

22. - Top - End - #202
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    A109: To cast a spell with a somatic component, you need to have at least one free hand. That applies regardless of what spellcasting class you have.
    Simply holding the weapon with the hand of your shield arm as a free action should probably be enough, but that would mean that you don't get your shield bonus to any attacks of opportunity you provoke by casting the spell. Otherwise you would have to first take a move action to sheath your weapon before taking the standard action to cast the spell, or to drop it as a free action and pick it up again as a move action.
    With that being said:

Q109b: Can you hold with one hand a Two handed weapon to be able to cast a spell? In a wizard case most likely a quarterstaff and on a Paladins case most likely a Greatsword.

Two weapon fighting would be totally impossible because you have both hands busy.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A109b Yes, you can let go of a two-handed weapon to cast a spell. If you're two-weapon fighting, you have to sheathe one of the weapons. Unless you're two-weapon fighting with a weapon and shield, in which case see my previous answer.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post
    A109b Yes, you can let go of a two-handed weapon to cast a spell. If you're two-weapon fighting, you have to sheathe one of the weapons. Unless you're two-weapon fighting with a weapon and shield, in which case see my previous answer.
    A109 Aside Two Words: Weapon. Cords.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

A109 concerning TWF
    AFAIK There's nothing preventing you from holding two weapons in one hand while casting a spell, so the same thing as for Sword&Board applies.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Orc in the Playground

Q111

Are magic items held to the same standard as regular items in terms of creature size, as in, do they cost a lot more for Large or larger creatures?

Q112

If one had the gold to spend, could they read more than one Tome of Leadership and Influence, or any of the other manuals or tomes?

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

A111: The weapon or armor to be enchanted would be more expensive, but the enchantment on it would cost the same.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Felandria View Post
    Q112

If one had the gold to spend, could they read more than one Tome of Leadership and Influence, or any of the other manuals or tomes?
    A112

Of course! However, it wouldn't do you much good because the bonuses wouldn't stack. Bonuses of the same type rarely do, and the wording of the Wish spell specifically notes that inherent bonuses do not.
    Last edited by JackRose; 2013-03-23 at 03:50 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JackRose View Post
    A112

Of course! However, it wouldn't do you much good because the bonuses wouldn't stack. Bonuses of the same type rarely do, and the wording of the Wish spell specifically notes that inherent bonuses do not.
    Good to know.

I'm making an epic level character (25th) and I've fully equipped with magic items in every slot and I bought all six books at +5 and I've still got half the wealth left.

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by MrLemon View Post
    A109 concerning TWF
    AFAIK There's nothing preventing you from holding two weapons in one hand while casting a spell, so the same thing as for Sword&Board applies.
    While there's nothing in the rules that explicitly forbids this kind of action, the term "free hand" is reasonably well defined by the rules. As soon as you are holding anything in your hand, that hand is no longer a free hand, and does not allow you to hold anything else. If that wasn't true, you could potentially hold all your wands and other command-activated trinkets in one hand since nothing explicitly says you can't. You can apply some RACSD here, but as far as I'm concerned, that action is illegal by RAW.