New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Getting the Facts Straight: A Factotum Handbook (WIP, PEACH)

Naturally I disagree with me overstating the Int bonus. This bonus means having +4 skill points at level 1, +1 to the bonuses granted by most of the factotum abilities, +1 to all Str and Dex skills and checks, 1 more language known, and if you're taking Int for X feats the power of that +2 just increases.

Considering that the DMGII puts the LA of such an ability at around +2 LA for PC's (via the Prodigy NPC ability), getting it is well worth it.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    Naturally I disagree with me overstating the Int bonus. This bonus means having +4 skill points at level 1, +1 to the bonuses granted by most of the factotum abilities, +1 to all Str and Dex skills and checks, 1 more language known, and if you're taking Int for X feats the power of that +2 just increases.

Considering that the DMGII puts the LA of such an ability at around +2 LA for PC's (via the Prodigy NPC ability), getting it is well worth it.
    And here's what you lose for that Level Adjustment of 2:

-2d8 + (2*CON) hit points (if you have Faerie Mysteries Init., you're also behind 2*INT as well)
    -1 or 2 to hit (depending on the levels you are losing, but this will usually be -2 to hit)
    -12 + (2*INT) skill points (and your skill cap is 2 lower than a LA+0 character)
    -1 to your Reflex save
    -1 to your Fortitude and Will saves (2 out of 3 levels)
    -1 feat known (2 out of 3 levels; or, two feats vs. a Human or Strongheart Halfling. Considering that these are likely iterations of Font of Inspiration, which progresses quadratically, the number of inspiration point difference between you and literally ANY +0 LA race increases as you level)
    -2 to your level for the purpose of known class features (affects Arcane Dilettante at all levels, because both daily spells and maximum level known scale throughout your Factotum career; you don't add your INT to STR- and DEX-based skills until level 5; you don't gain Cunning Surge until level 10; need I say more?)

You're trading all this and more (like lower Hit Dice for HD-dependent effects, lower caster level, and so on) for the aforementioned abilities, which you have to spend Inspiration Points to get on a per-roll basis (but you have much, MUCH fewer inspiration points). In most cases, you are spending your Inspiration Points just to break even.

Flat bonuses are ALWAYS better than situational bonuses. For example, the flat +1 to attack rolls and Armor Class you get from being Small-sized is objectively better than a +1 to attack rolls and Armor Class you have to spend resources for, or that you only have some of the time (of course, the -2 to STR counteracts the to-hit bonus--although Weapon Finesse, or a Feycraft light weapon such as a gnommish quick razor, can correct this, and the +2 DEX compounds on this and is just generally a better ability score to gain from). This is always true. If you are taking a -1 penalty to hit ALL the time, in order to gain an extra +1 SOME of the time, you are doing it wrong. I cannot stress this enough.

Gray Elf is okay (in spite of the CON penalty) because you gain the *2 to INT without all these negatives, and you also gain +2 to DEX (another all-around useful ability score for Factotums), and a couple other okay things. If it had level adjustment, I'd bin it.
    Homebrew!
    5e: Expanded Inspiration Uses

Spoiler: 3.5/P Stuff. Warning: OLD
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

@Tylenol: Fair enough. I generally assume that LA buyoff is available, and as such tend not to sweat small LA's.

Also, I think I've finished (for now) the races section. Anything of note I'm missing?
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2013-02-19 at 06:49 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Speaking of Factotums in fiction, am I right in guessing that the language of this guide is modeled off of the speaking patterns of that most successful of Factotums, Jeeves?
    Ah... no. I have not read enough Wodehouse that I can affect his style.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Any opinions on the skills, on good feats and trap feats for factotums would be more than welcome. Any opinions at all on factotums in pathfinder would be well loved.

Favorite factotum spells, gear, multiclassing strategies, and anything at all really would be well received.

Seeing how other people view this class helps me see other approaches that I had not previously considered.

-Currently working on getting some description and rating for all the skills, will move onto knowledges and crafts afterwards.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Good stuff! My newest Character is a Factotum with later transition in Chameleon. I just got meself a new favorite class of all times ever. :-)
    The versatility is amazing and the adventurer flair unbeatable for me.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

It is a pretty fun & flair class. If your experience brings you insights onto this guide do comment. If you'd like tips ask, maybe someone or myself can give pointers.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

alternatives to the Whisper gnome + gnomish quickrazor factotum builds

The Ranged Tripper

Spoiler
    Show

Race: Lesser Tiefling
    Alignment: any
    Templates : none

STATS (32 pts)

STR 8 (I dumped it in this build but you could invest some STR in a high PTS game)
    DEX 18
    CON 14
    INT 18
    WIS 8 (not that useful honestly, healing is best covered by a wand or a healing class)
    CHA 14

Progression

1 Factotum Point blank shot
    2 Factotum
    3 Factotum Precise shot
    4 Factotum
    5 Factotum
    6 Factotum Weapon focus: dagger
    7 Factotum
    8 Master Thrower bonus feat: quickdraw trip shot trick
    9 Factotum rapid shot
    10+ open to many different builds, this is just a good breakoff for many different builds

Level 1-7, you're a standard factotum with a bow and arrow. Most of your feats help that role and your other abilities contribute to this well

Level 8, you are now a ranged tripper and your thrown weapons (assuming they're daggers as they also count as melee weapons), can also trigger Iaijutsu focus damage.

Your trip attemps benefit from DEX and INT, which means you get a +12 (+4 from trip shot, doesn't stack with improved trip) trip attempt while using a medium race. And you benefit from 2 STATs to do so which means you can get a +6 magic item to both to further improve those trips all the way up to + 18

Note, unlike a normal tripper build you still deliver damage as normal on a trip shot and it's a normal attack, meaning you can make as many trip attempts per round as your build allows.

Unlike a normal tripper you don't benefit from spells like enlarge person as much since the penalty to DEX removes 1 from your to hit and from your check. Meaning you get a -2 to hit from each size category and +3 to your trip attempt (unlike a normal tripper that would gain STR to compensate the to hit penalty which you net him a +5 on trip attempts)

A melee tripper doesn't really require an explanation.

Basically just wield a guisarme (no need to exotic weapon prof) + armor spikes (to threaten adjacent squares).

If you want to avoid taking useless feats, you can dip monk to gain improved trip or take 2 levels of barbarian (with the wolf totem) to achieve the same result.

Both options also net u other abilities like pounce and rage (barb) or improved saves and possibly INT to AC (monk)

Taking a familiar that can use a wand can also let you have action economy, meaning your familiar uses the wand to enlarge you

the jotunbrud regional feat (human only) can also net you the powerful build trait which is especially useful in tripper builds.
    Last edited by Soranar; 2013-02-23 at 02:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

I had not seen a ranged tripper build before. Interesting. Mind if I put it up in the builds section?

I like your reasoning for Monk and Barbarian dipping.
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Firbolg in the Playground

Things you may wish to consider:

Haberdash the Masked is a Factotum/Master of Masks 1 build I put together years ago. It lists out a large number of relevant combos.

My general opinion on Factotum is that they are MAD, and thus should only be played if you happen to roll high ability scores. Cunning Insight is nifty, but it will not generate opposed checks superior to any Str based full BAB class unless you happen to have very high Str and Int. (And even then, a Str + Cha based Marshal 1/Whatever X can get similar results for less of an investment).

If you're interested in Iaijutsu Focus, then Gnome Quickrazor (Races of Stone) is definitely the way to go. Just note that your enemy must be Flat Footed (and not just denied Dexterity). In addition to winning Initiative, the Acrobatic Backstab, Hidden Blade, Sudden Draw, and Escape Attack Skill Tricks all specifically make your enemy flat footed for one attack with various restrictions. Complete Warrior also has an alternate use of Sleight of Hand which lets you draw a dagger as a free action and treat your enemy as Flat Footed for your next attack after 2 rounds of fighting the same enemy with no weapon in off hand. You could also take the Underfoot Combat and Confound the Bigfolk (Races of the Wild) Feats and use magic or psionics to get yourself to be as small as possible. You can then enter your enemy's square, and the next turn they count as being Flat Footed.

I'd also say that a key 2nd level spell is Alter Self, which allows you to get some fairly good buffs if you're willing to abuse it. Similarly, when you get access to 4th level spells Polymorph is pretty much single handedlyresponsible for keeping you competative with Tier 3+ classes until you get access to Cunning Brilliance.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Cunning Insight is nifty, but it will not generate opposed checks superior to any Str based full BAB class unless you happen to have very high Str and Int.
    1. I think you meant Brains over Brawn, not Cunning Insight.
    2. How so? BAB doesn't factor into trip checks. (Other than landing the initial touch attack, which isn't hard.)

(And even then, a Str + Cha based Marshal 1/Whatever X can get similar results for less of an investment).
    Can't argue with that. On the other hand, everything you mention stacks, so you could give your Factotum a decent Charisma and dip a level of Marshal, too. But the real story here is that Factotum has a lot of good stuff besides just tripping potential, even on a tripping build.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2013-02-25 at 01:38 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

My general opinion on Factotum is that they are MAD, and thus should only be played if you happen to roll high ability scores.
    I disagree. At any level over 5 they use Brains over Brawn which allows them to lower dexterity to average. Constitution is probably slightly over average. Strength can be very important but you can use several class features for this. Charisma can be high or dumpstated depending on what charecter you play. Wisdom is totally useless with keen intellect apart from opportunistic piety, which your paties cleric or cleric substitute can do better. The only important aspect is intelligence for arcane dilletante (probably spelt that wrong), all class features, int-based skills and how many skill points you have(which will likely be your main role: trapfinding and skill-monkeying)
    And treasure!
    Wait, that doesn't make any sense

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    1. I think you meant Brains over Brawn, not Cunning Insight.
    2. How so? BAB doesn't factor into trip checks. (Other than landing the initial touch attack, which isn't hard.)
    Yeah, I meant Brains Over Brawn. Sorry.

And I do think that the to-hit roll can be important (although as you note, it is only marginally so if the target has low touch AC), and that Grapple (another opposed check) does use BAB. And other "Str based full BAB class" will generally also have class resources geared toward opposed checks which might be equal to or better than Brains Over Brawn, and melee combat in general. (Such as superior AC and hit points). For example, the Fighter has a bunch of extra Bonus Feats and Dungeoncrasher, a Barbarian has Rage and Pounce or Improved Grab, a Warblade or Crusader has maneuvers, a Wildshape Ranger has Wildshape, etc.

So the net result is that most of the classes I've listed above will make better Trip/Grapple/Bull Rush builds (and front line combatants in general when compared to the Factotum. Though I'm sure any of us could come up with cases where the Factotum has a +2 to +4ish over a comparable build, in the long run it's probably going to fall behind in melee compared to other melee builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Pesimismrocks View Post
    I disagree.
    So here's my case for why the Factotum is MAD, which reasonable people are free to disagree with:
    • At every level, a Factotum is going to be spending most several rounds of most combats making to-hit rolls for ranged or melee attacks. This is particularly true at low levels, though obviously less so at higher levels when you get more spells and cool class abilities.
    • To hit rolls require BAB + high Str or Dex.
    • The Factotum only has 3/4 BAB, and it can't pour all of it's resources (racial bonuses, bonuses from gaining character levels, magic items, etc) into just improving Str or Dex, because it also needs/wants high Int to fuel it's other class abilities.
    • The only only attribute you can truly dump without nerfing your class abilities and Skills is Charisma.

The only SAD-ish classes are (most) full casters, plus the Psion, Totemist, Dragonfire Adept, and Wildshape Ranger. (I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but you get the point). Every other class basically needs or wants 2-3 high attributes to function well, which can be difficult to pull off at high levels given limited resources. That's not really a criticism of the Factotum per se, so much as it is a criticism of most Tier 3 or lower classes in general.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

I would disagree with the assertion that any average full BABer not focused on a particular maneuver will be particularly effective against a factotum only vaguely oriented towards said attack.
    Factotums get: Int+Dex/Str+Feats+Circumstance whereas BABers get Dex/Str+Feats+Circumstance. Factoti have a marginal advantage on this regard.

Thing is that at low levels the difference between 3/4 and 1/1 BAB is minimal, and expending Inspiration to boost it for +Int cinches the difference pretty quickly. As levels scale up and factotum's diversity expands they begin getting tricks that make up for the lack in BAB.

As to MAD, not really. It benefits from better stats, but even a Wizard or Totemist does. With the right feat or two Factotums can dump Wis and Cha, and Str or Dex.

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think Exemplar deserves a mention among PrCs. Great skills, 8+INT skill points, 3/4 BAB, good Will save, CHA and (mostly) INT based abilities = THE ULTIMATE SKILL MONKEY in combination with Factotum!
    Last edited by DEMON; 2013-02-26 at 07:29 PM.
    Fantabulous Duskblade avatar by linklele, for which I am eternally grateful.
    Previous avatars composed by Nathan, Ivius and Threeshades, for what I am eternally grateful, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Cookie cutter racial cheese aside, we should probably keep an eye on the whole "Dwarf only" bit of the OP. But hey, that's just me. Everyone feel free to throw out more op tricks that are 100% topic irrelevant. :P

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Looking at the exemplar. It looks as a 1/level dip to me at best, if not an outright trap. Am I missing something?
    Intellectual agility looks awesome, but assuming you went in at the minimum level (10) you don't get there until 18, the time during which you could have gotten Cunning Brilliance.
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2013-02-26 at 11:35 PM.

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Subscribed. I'd love comments from contributors to this post on my recent question thread. I'm strongly contemplating something like the Echo the Active build. Any other suggestions?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

One race that's interesting as a Factotum choice is the Neraph. It is a +0 LA outsider which possesses free natural armor and some skill bonuses, as well as the ability to once per encounter per enemy deny an opponent of his Dexterity bonus to AC, plus they gain free proficiency with the annulat, which is a not bad thrown weapon.
    If Dragon Magazine material is on the table, another choice is the Glimmerfolk from Dragon Magazine #321, page 71. They are another race of +0 LA outsider, this time possessing some minor SLA's and a penalty to strength with a corresponding bonus to dexterity.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

What color rating would you give those races?
    Also anyone have suggestions for gear I haven't listed? Spells too?

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Grease. Your spellbook needs Grease.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Pretty sure it's there...
    -checks-
    Wow that was an oversight on my behalf. Wow

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Barbarian in the Playground

Distract Assailant, maybe also Armor Lock
    And regarding Exemplar: It's mostly a 1 level dip as the first level gives you most of the aforementioned benefits. Though for those people that only go for 8 levels of Factotum, even more than 1 level of Exemplar might be good.
    Fantabulous Duskblade avatar by linklele, for which I am eternally grateful.
    Previous avatars composed by Nathan, Ivius and Threeshades, for what I am eternally grateful, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Cookie cutter racial cheese aside, we should probably keep an eye on the whole "Dwarf only" bit of the OP. But hey, that's just me. Everyone feel free to throw out more op tricks that are 100% topic irrelevant. :P

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Fash Falath, Martial Factotum

Whisper Gnome Factotum 8/Warblade 12

Factotum. A person having many diverse activities or responsibilities. The name fits the class. A Factotum is competent at almost everything, from spellcasting to Tumbling around the battlefield to landing decisive blows in combat.

And as an adventurer in D&D, you tend to find yourself in combat frequently. So why not be good at it? The Martial Factotum presented here aims to not only cover roles normally covered by a Factotum, but to also excel at combat. Multiclassing into Warblade enables a fantastic synergy with your already amazing Int score, while also giving you more ways to cause your opponent to be Flatfooted. Gain Int to damage AND Iaijutsu on nearly every attack? Yes please!

Now I know some may look at this build and say "There are more Warblade levels than Factotum levels! This is not a Factotum build at all!" To that, I say simply, you're wrong. Everything you gain from Warblade serves to improve and compliment your Factotum abilities, from Uncanny Dodge to Battle Cunning. Examine the build yourself. See where its strength lies. I believe that you'll agree this build is all about the Factotum.

The key levels of this build are Factotum 8 and Warblade 7. If you would like to tweak the classes on this build to suit your own needs, I would strongly recommend not taking less than that of either class.

And with that introduction, I present to you the Martial Factotum!

Level Progression:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fac 1 > War 1 > Fac 2-8 > War 2-12

Taking the one Warblade level early enables you to pick up Sapphire Nightmare Blade and therefore have a reliable way of FF'ing opponents. Without that, your early damage will be decidedly lacking.

Attributes by Level:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attribute Stat @ 1 Stat @ 5 Stat @ 10 Stat @ 15 Stat @ 20
    STR 10 10 10 10 10 (16)
    DEX 16 16 16 16 (18) 16 (22)
    CON 16 16 16 16 16 (22)
    INT 18 19 (21) 20 (22) 21 (27) 28 (34)
    WIS 8 8 8 8 8
    CHA 6 6 6 6 6
    All stat boosts to Int. Number in parentheses is after items.

Not much to see here really. Pump that Int as much as possible since it keys into almost everything you do.

Skill Breakdown by Level:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Level Class Ranks Per Skill Per Level
    Skill Name App Bal Blf Clm Con Dip D.D Dis E.A For G.I Hea Hid I.F Int Jmp K:A K:D K:L K:N K:P K:R Lis M.S O.L Rid Sea S.M Spe Spo Sur Swi Tum UMD U.R
    Skill Trick
    Total
    1 Fact. 0 4 0 0 4 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 4 4 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 2 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 4 4 0 40
    2 Warb. 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1* 0 1 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 8
    3 Fact. 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 0 10
    4 Fact. 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 10
    5 Fact. 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 10
    6 Fact. 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 Collector of Stories 10
    7 Fact. 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 10
    8 Fact. 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 Twisted Charge 11
    9 Fact. 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 Back/Feet&Acr.Bkstb 11
    10 Warb. 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1* 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .5* 0 0 0 0 0 1 1* 0 Nimble Stand 9
    11 Warb. 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1* 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1.5* 0 0 0 0 0 1 1* 0 9
    12 Warb. 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .5* 1* 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .5* 0 0 .5* 0 0 0 0 0 1 1* 0 9
    13 Warb. 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .5* 1* 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .5* 0 0 .5* 0 0 0 0 0 1 1* 0 9
    14 Warb. 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .5* 1* 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .5* 0 0 .5* 0 0 0 0 0 1 1* 0 9
    15 Warb. 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .5* 1* 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .5* 0 0 .5* 0 0 0 0 0 1 1* 0 9
    16 Warb. 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .5* 1* 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .5* 0 0 .5* 0 .5* 0 0 0 1 1* 0 10
    17 Warb. 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .5* 1* 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .5* 0 0 .5* 0 .5* 0 0 0 1 1* 0 10
    18 Warb. 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .5* 1* 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1* 0 0 .5* 0 0 0 0 0 1 1* 0 10
    19 Warb. 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1* 1* 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .5* 0 0 .5* 0 0 0 0 0 1 1* 0 10
    20 Warb. 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .5* 1* 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .5* 0 0 1* 0 0 0 0 0 1 1* 0 10
    *Indicates skill was bought Cross Class

Feats/Special Abilities by Level:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feat/Ability
    Source
    Description
    Gnomish Weapon Familiarity Racial Allows use of Gnomish Quickrazor, among other weapons.
    Spell-Like Abilities Racial Silence (centered on self) 1/day.
    Skill Bonus Racial +4 Hide and Move Silently, +2 Listen and Spot
    Font of Inspiration Level 1 Gives one extra Inspiration point.
    Font of Inspiration Level 3 Gives two Inspiration points, for a total of three.
    Font of Inspiration Level 6 Gives three Inspiration points, for a total of six.
    Font of Inspiration Level 9 Gives four Inspiration points, for a total of ten.
    Extra Readied Maneuver Level 12 Exactly what it says on the tin.
    Stormguard Warrior Level 15 Tactical feat.
    Adaptive Style Level 18 Spend a full round action to change readied maneuvers.
    Cunning Insight Fac 1 Spend 1 point for +(Int Mod) on attack, damage or saving throw.
    Cunning Knowledge Fac 1 Spend 1 point for +(Factotum Level) on a single skill check. 1/day per skill.
    Trapfinding Fac 1 Can find magic traps and traps with DC higher than 20.
    Battle Clarity War 1 If not FF'd, gain Int OR Warblade level (whichever is lower) as insight bonus to Reflex save.
    Weapon Aptitude War 1 May retrain weapon-specific feats, such as Weapon Focus.
    Arcane Dilettante Fac 2 Spend 1 point to cast any spell currently memorized. Each spell is 1/day.
    Brains Over Brawn Fac 3 +(Int Mod) to every STR and DEX based skill check.
    Cunning Defense Fac 3 Spend 1 point to gain +(Int Mod) as Dodge bonus to AC vs a single attack.
    Cunning Strike Fac 4 Spend 1 point for +1d6 sneak attack damage.
    Opportunistic Piety Fac 5 Spend 1 point to heal (or harm undead) by (Int+Fac Level)2 HP or Turn Undead. 3/day.
    Cunning Surge Fac 8 Spend 3 points to gain an extra Standard action.
    Uncanny Dodge War 2 Keep Dex to AC even if FF'd or attacked by an invisible attacker.
    Battle Ardor War 3 Gain +[Int Mod] on critical confirm rolls.
    Ironheart Aura War 5 When in an Iron Heart stance, adjacent allies gain +2 morale to saving throws.
    Battle Cunning War 7 Gain +[Int Mod] to damage rolls vs FF'd opponents.
    Improved Initiative War 9 +4 on Init. checks. Gained as a bonus feat.
    Battle Skill War 11 +[Int Mod] vs enemy’s combat maneuver attempts.

Maneuvers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maneuver
    Gained
    Readied @ 5
    Readied @ 10
    Readied @ 15
    Readied @ 20
    Moment of Perfect Mind Level 2 (War 1) X X X X
    Sapphire Nightmare Blade Level 2 (War 1) X X X X
    Stone Bones Level 2 (War 1) X -- --
    Insightful Strike Level 10 (War 2) -- X X --
    Wall of Blades Level 11 (War 3) -- --
    Stone Bones Drop at War 4 -- -- -- --
    Iron Heart Surge Level 12 (War 4) -- --
    Mithral Tornado Level 13 (War 5) -- -- X --
    Manticore Parry Level 15 (War 7) -- -- X
    Insightful Strike Drop at War 8 -- -- -- --
    Greater Insightful Strike Level 16 (War 8) -- -- -- X
    Finishing Move Level 17 (War 9) -- -- -- X
    Lightning Throw Level 19 (War 11) -- -- -- X
    Mithral Tornado Drop at War 12 -- -- -- --
    Adamantine Hurricane Level 20 (War 12) -- -- -- X
    Punishing Stance War 1
    Pearl of Black Doubt War 4 -- --
    Dancing Blade Form War 10 -- -- --

Spell Overview:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Until character level 4, your spells are either non-existent or inconsequential. At character level 4 (Fac 3) however, you finally gain access to level 1 spells. Grease is the go-to option here, being a debuff and battlefield control. If the enemy doesn't have at least 5 ranks in Balance, then being in your Grease spell also opens them up to your Iaijutsu attack. This spell is hard to beat at these low levels.

Character level 6 (Fac 5) opens up second level spells. For you, Alter Self is the optimum choice, as it allows you to shore up your otherwise weak armor class by transforming into a troglodyte for its +6 Natural armor.

For your level one spell, consider switching Grease into Wall of Smoke. Both are good options with Grease potentially allowing a few more Iaijutsu attacks and Wall of Smoke providing a visual barrier to aid against ranged enemies and potentially dividing enemy forces if they're unwilling to go through the wall. You can also conjure the Wall of Smoke directly on opponents, forcing Fort saves vs Nausea.

At character level 9 (Fac 8) your options expand further with 3rd level spells coming online. You have many good choices, so pick what suits you best. Haste is a great whole party buff, spells like Sleet Storm provide amazing battlefield control and if you're looking for something a little more long term, Heart of Water is there as a top tier all day buff.

For your two lower level spells, I suggest two copies of Alter Self. Considering how often you are in the thick of the battle, every point of AC helps, and there is no better source than Alter Self.

Once you acquire your Mechanus Gear, however, you'll want to switch to all day buffs cast in the morning, when your armor isn't hampering you. You'll get your Alter Self fix from wands, which you should be able to easily UMD.

Gear Breakdown:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Level 1 (150 GP)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Item Slot Price Source
    Gnomish Quickrazor Held 45 RoS
    1d3 damage. Resheathed after each attack.
    Chain Shirt Body 100 PHB
    +4 AC, -2 ACP
    5 GP remaining.

Level 5: (9000 GP)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Item Slot Price Source
    +1 Feycraft Gnomish Quickrazor Held 3845 DMG II
    Feycraft: Weighs 10% less; dmg as one size smaller; use Dex for to-hit
    Headband of Intellect +2 Head 4000 DMG
    +2 Int
    Masterwork Chain Shirt Body 250 PHB
    AC +4, ACP -1
    Wand of Lesser Vigor Item 750 CD
    Heal 11 HP over the course of 1 minute. 50 charges.
    Masterwork Tool (Concentration) Item 50 PHB
    +2 to named skill
    Masterwork Tool (Iaijutsu Focus) Item 50 PHB
    +2 to named skill
    Masterwork Tool (Tumble) Item 50 PHB
    +2 to named skill
    5 GP remaining.

Level 10: (49000 GP)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Item Slot Price Source
    +1 Feycraft Blurstriking Cold Iron Gnomish Quickrazor Held 21890 MIC
    Blurstrike: 10/day, treat target of 1st attack as FF'd.
    Winged Mask Face 13000 MoF
    Cast Fly on self at caster level 5. Unlimited uses.
    Headband of Intellect +2 Head 4000 DMG
    +2 Int
    Vest of Resistance +2 Torso 4000 MIC
    +2 to all saves
    Tooth of Savnok Tooth 2000 ToM
    Ignore speed reduction from armor or encumbrance.
    Anklet of Translocation Feet 1400 MIC
    10' swift action teleport. 2/day
    Restful Armor Crystal Armor 500 MIC
    May sleep in armor with no ill effects.
    Masterwork Breastplate Body 350 PHB
    AC +5, -3 ACP
    Masterwork Thieve's Tools Item 100 PHB
    +2 to Disable Device and Open Lock
    +2 to named skill
    +2 to named skill
    Masterwork Tool (Search) Item 50 PHB
    +2 to named skill
    +2 to named skill
    Masterwork Tool (Use Magic Device) Item 50 PHB
    +2 to named skill
    810 GP remaining.

Level 15: (200000 GP)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Item Slot Price Source
    +1 Nimble Soulfire Mithral Mechanus Gear Body 46750 PH
    11 AC, -7 ACP. Soulfire: Immune to [Death] effects, negative energy and energy drain.
    Ring of Freedom of Movement Ring 40000 DMG
    Continuous Freedom of Movement, as the spell.
    Headband of Intellect +6 Head 36000 DMG
    +6 Int
    +1 Feycraft Blurstriking Cold Iron Gnomish Quickrazor Held 21890 RoS
    Unimproved from previous listing.
    Banner of the Storm's Eye Shoulders 15000 MIC
    Suppress Fear effects, prevent Stun and Confusion within 20 ft.
    +1 Nimble Mithril Githcraft Extreme Shield Held 5630 RoS
    +4 AC, -0 ACP, +1 Concentration.
    Vest of Resistance +2 Torso 4000 MIC
    +2 to all saves.
    Wand of Alter Self Item 4500 DMG
    Used mainly for Troglodyte's +6 Natural armor. 30 min/charge. 50 charges.
    Gloves of Dexterity +2 Hands 4000 DMG
    +2 Dex
    Lesser Crystal of Energy Assault (Acid) Weapon 3000 MIC
    +1d6 Acid damage.
    Anklet of Translocation Feet 1400 MIC
    10' swift action teleport. 2/day
    +2 to named skill
    +2 to named skill
    +2 to named skill
    +2 to named skill
    +2 to named skill
    1230 GP remaining.

Level 20: (760000 GP)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Item Slot Price Source
    +6 Str, Dex, Con, Int Various 144000 DMG
    +6 Enhancement bonus to stats.
    Tome of Clear Thought +5 Item 137000 DMG
    +5 Inherent bonus to Int.
    Ring of Mental Fortitude Ring 110000 DMG II
    Immune to [Mind-Affecting]
    Ring of Evasion & Protection +5 Ring 75000 DMG
    Grants Evasion & +5 Deflection AC.
    +1 Feycraft Blurstriking Cold Iron Gnomish Quickrazor of Collision Held 53890 MIC
    Collision: +5 damage.
    +1 Nimble Mithril Githcraft Extreme Shield of Heavy Fortification Held 49630 RoS
    Heavy Fort: Immune to Sneak Attack and critical hits.
    +1 Glamered Nimble Soulfire Mithral Mechanus Gear Body 49450 PH
    Can be disguised as normal clothing.
    Ring of Freedom of Movement Ring 40000 DMG
    Continuous Freedom of Movement, as the spell.
    +1 Feycraft Blurstriking Gnomish Quickrazor Held 18335 MIC
    Backup weapon.
    Vest of Resistance +4 Torso 16000 MIC
    +4 to all saves.
    Banner of the Storm's Eye Shoulders 15000 MIC
    Suppress Fear effects, prevent Stun and Confusion within 20 ft.
    +1 Magebane Longbow, Composite +3 Held 8603 DMG
    Ranged backup weapon. Cost includes 60 arrows.
    Hand of Glory Throat 8000 DMG
    Allows wearing one additional ring. Casts Daylight and See Invisibility 1/day.
    Wand of Alter Self Item 4500 DMG
    Used mainly for Troglodyte's +6 Natural armor. 30 min/charge. 50 charges.
    Glove of the Master Strategist Hands 3600 Ghost
    As Gloves of Storing, plus True Strike 1/day.
    Lesser Crystal of Energy Assault (Acid) Weapon 3000 MIC
    +1d6 Acid damage.
    Lesser Crystal of Arrow Deflection Shield 2500 MIC
    +5 untyped AC vs ranged attacks.
    Handy Haversack Carried 2000 DMG
    80 lb of storage, AoO free move action retrieval.
    +2 to named skill
    +2 to named skill
    +2 to named skill
    +2 to named skill
    +2 to named skill
    2892 GP remaining.

Putting It All Together:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Level 1:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vital Statistics
    HP AC FF'd AC Touch AC Fort Ref Will Init. BAB Total AB Insp. Points
    11 18 15 14 +3 +5 -1 +3 0 +1 3

Offense: Lacking. Your to-hit is poor. The only time you are relevent is if you win Init. and can land an IF. Remember to flank for allies.

Defense: Not terrible. 18 AC at level 1 means you don't need to be terribly afraid to advance into melee. Be wary of ending up surrounded by enemies though.

Social: With a CHA of 6, you are NOT the party face.

Utility: Moderate. +9 Stealth means you can scout, you can unlock doors and chests (given time) and can search for traps competently, among other things.

Level 5:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vital Statistics
    43 18 15 14 +6 +8 +0 +8 4 +9 6

Offense: Much better than before. Between winning Init., Sapphire Nightmare Blade and Grease, most of your attacks should be IF. Damage output should be similar to the Fighter. Suffers from occasional lackluster rounds when you're forced to recover maneuvers. Your +19 Tumble ensures you can be on pretty much any side of an enemy, so be sure to flank often for your less mobile allies.

Defense: Still passable. Your AC is low now, especially if you have Punishing Stance active (and you probably should), but Stone Bones can help take the bite out of many enemy attacks. You also have Moment of Perfect Mind to shore up your weak Will save.

Social: Again, sorely lacking.

Utility: Great! Stealth skills are through the roof, you have some battlefield control with your Grease spell and you can heal in between combat with your wand.

Level 10:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vital Statistics
    82 19 16 14 +10 +13 +3 +9 8 +13 15

Offense: Looking good. You've gained even more ways to flatfoot enemies, which just means more and more IF. This, combined with your Inspiration and maneuvers means that you can deal some solid damage.

Defense: Your unbuffed defense is at its weakest right now, relative to your level. You have solid saves (remember Will is covered with a maneuver) but your AC is low. When entering any place where an encounter is likely, be sure to have Alter Self up and running. You'll need the +6 Natural AC. Combined with Cunning Defense, you can push as high as 31 AC. If caught unbuffed, use your all day flight to your advantage. If you get grappled, use your Anklets to escape.

Social: In case you haven't noticed the pattern here, you are no good at social encounters.

Utility: Still outstanding. Your Knowledge skills have come online, you can Stealth with the best of them (though special senses may thwart you), can open DC 30+ locks and can consistently activate magic items. Not to mention you can fly. Add in some nice battlefield control via spellcasting and you're solid.

Level 15:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vital Statistics
    130 29 26 14 +12 +21 +5 +12 13 +19 15

Offense: Things are really cooking now. You get Int to Damage vs FF'd enemies (aka everyone you fight), Int to Damage again with a single Inspiration point, IF AND maneuvers. Couple this with your extraordinary mobility and you can basically do what you want to whomever you want to do it to.

Favorite trick: Win Init., move into center of a group of bad guys, Mithril Tornado to land an IF against all of them.

Defense: Where to begin? Your AC should be at 35 in most fights because of your wand of Alter Self (and is 1 point away from 43 at any time) and you have a laundry list of immunities. You have no fear in the front lines.

Social: If an important NPC begins talking to you, start rolling Perform (Tumble) checks until your party Face can get there to help you. This will also earn you some gold!

Utility: Aside from Stealth (which, while you're great at, is now more often rendered useless by special senses of enemies), you can hit DC 40+ Search checks, you can lay down some battlefield control spells, you can burrow (via Alter Self) and fly. Utility is a strong suit of Factotums and you're no exception.

Level 20:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vital Statistics
    229 34 31 19 +20 +32 +9 +22 18 +25 15

Offense: This is as good as it gets for you. All your toys are online and your enemies will not be happy about it.

Favorite trick: Medium BBEG near you? Activate Blurstrike, use Greater Insightful Strike (with Cunning Insight to-hit if you feel you need it), 10-ft step (DC 40 Tumble) through his square to activate Acrobatic Backstab, Cunning Surge for another standard and hit him with Finishing Strike (coupled with more Cunning Insight).

Defense: With a single point of Inspiration, you can have 31 Touch AC (useful when enemy Wizards are throwing rays at you) and your list of immunities makes Constructs AND Undead jealous. Also, your +32 Reflex save plays very nicely with that Ring of Evasion.

Social: If you ever feel the urge to talk to an NPC, remember to cast your racial Silence spell on yourself first. That should keep damage to a minimum.

Utility:You can also hit DC 40+ with a Search check while simply taking 10, so you can be fairly certain you found ALL the loot.

Nov 2nd 2023 Edit - Fixed all the tables after most of a decade with them janky.
    Last edited by Koury; 2023-11-03 at 01:24 AM.
    I will NOT succumb to evil!
    ...Unless she's cute.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

No comments on the build? Little errors or oversights? Questions about why this over that?
    ...Unless she's cute.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

I've been somewhat busy and have picked at your brains over PMs. I'll be giving it more of a read through in the near future.
    Though making it Fact 2 and then Warblade 1 might be better in builds that start past lvl 3, to get full advantage of boosted IL.

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not sure that would change anything except getting Sapphire Nightmare Blade online later. I think I'd still go with the same three maneuvers. I could see dropping Stone Bones for Wall of Blades or Mountain Hammer maybe, but Stone Bones is useful at lower levels.

I just don't know that there is a 2nd level maneuver worth slogging through 2nd level without SNB for.
    Last edited by Koury; 2013-03-08 at 03:24 PM.
    ...Unless she's cute.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Good find on the Crescent Knife, but I do have a question about it:

Wouldn't the fact that the Crescent Knife asks you to roll two attack rolls simultaneously imply that its use would fall more closely under the volley rules than conventional Sneak Attack? As in, if both attacks hit, then only one of them would trigger precision damage (such as Sneak Attack, Skirmish, etc)?

Even if so, the weapon is useful for being able to more readily guarantee you are going to hit with an attack that yields that precision damage (if your to-hit isn't stellar, then the odds of succeeding in at least one attack out of two are better than succeeding at one out of one), but I have to wonder if it's really all that explosive as per the rules.
    Homebrew!
    5e: Expanded Inspiration Uses

Spoiler: 3.5/P Stuff. Warning: OLD
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

As to the functioning of crescent knife, I think it is a 4 step thing
    1.- Kn. Devotion
    2.- Attack with Crescent Knife
    3.- ????
    4.- Profit
    That is to say, the rules surounding it are not very clear, and a ruling that SA applies to only one of the attacks would be a way to make that weapon significantly less broken.

Still, Kn. Devotion extra damage undoubtedly applies to both, which is nice. And hitting more often is all sorts of fancy.

Also you get to iaijutsu on each of the attacks because a) the weapon has just been drawn and b) target is still flatfooted.

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Glimmerfolk have no LA actually. Fun thing about them. And Neraphim are probably about a bit better for a factotum than a changeling, there's a bunch of little bonuses that add up. The outsider type is pretty sweet, what with the alter self shenanigans. I'd personally rate them closer in level to the illumians. Might not be bumped up to black, but I'd certainly consider them.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Tylenol View Post
    Good find on the Crescent Knife, but I do have a question about it:

Wouldn't the fact that the Crescent Knife asks you to roll two attack rolls simultaneously imply that its use would fall more closely under the volley rules than conventional Sneak Attack? As in, if both attacks hit, then only one of them would trigger precision damage (such as Sneak Attack, Skirmish, etc)?

Even if so, the weapon is useful for being able to more readily guarantee you are going to hit with an attack that yields that precision damage (if your to-hit isn't stellar, then the odds of succeeding in at least one attack out of two are better than succeeding at one out of one), but I have to wonder if it's really all that explosive as per the rules.
    From what I gather (havent found the volley rules) the knife allows for 2 attacks. Having SA on all your attacks (as rogue) gives you SA on both; but getting SA to one attack gives you one attack's worth of SA.

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show