New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 54 12345678910112651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Bhaakon's Brinewall Legacy IC

It's Sandpoint's worst kept secret that the Rusty Dragon serves the finest breakfast in town. Ameiko Kaijutsu's establishment may be best known as a raucous fest hall for braggarts and that suspicious class of roving mercenaries who call themselves "adventurers," but the proprietor's extensive library of exciting stories and deft hand at he samisen are eclipsed by her overstuffed pantry of exotic spices and encyclopedic command of delicious recipes. Not to mention the triple shot of brandy she managed to get into each serving of her special blintzes, a legendary hangover cure among locals.

But you aren't there for the food this day. Well, not just the food.

"Are you going to order something, or just sit there reading it for the hundredth time?" Huffs Ameiko in mock outrage, "you know that I'm not going to kick you out like that bent-copper busker--yet--but I could use the table. You're almost as bad as Shalelu." She waves an arm dramatically towards the elf, who takes up an entire table for four with her mug of tea and apricot tart (which you well know Ameiko wouldn't let her pay for).

The "it" holding your attention is a poster you founded nailed to the posting board in in front of the Dragon, your collective interest in the announcement having drawn you together to consider your options at a single table:

Wanted: Goblin Ears

In response to the threat of Licktoad raiders armed with fireworks and explosives, the honorable sheriff Hemlock hereby announces the restoration of the bounty on goblin ears. Ten pieces of gold will be paid for every right goblin ear presented at the Sandpoint guard garrison, with an additional sum of 300 gold paid for the head of the Licktoad goblin chief known as Gutwad. Special rewards will be dispensed for uncovering and destroying the source of the Licktoad's new-found arsenal.

The paper includes a crude drawing of "Gutwad," notable for his scarred right eye, comically bulbous belly, and garish spiked headdress.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2013-03-08 at 02:25 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Bhaakon's Brinewood Legacy IC

Kasuka weaves through the hustle and bustle of the inn like a leaf in the wind, setting down orders and leaving before any are able to notice the strange albino's presence. Though, if any of the patrons were paying attention they would be able to see that the slender young man has a rather absent-minded look about his face, occasionally stealing glances at both the sign posting as well as the innkeeper and her elven guest. "Only a few more minutes until my shift is over," he whispers in an imperceptibly dulcet tone.
    Last edited by Bad Situation; 2013-03-08 at 12:09 AM.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

As Kasuka weaves between guests and tables on his way back to the kitchen with an arm load of dirty plates, a dark figure in a shadowed booth sticks a foot out to trip the distracted young waiter. Sandru can't help but chuckle in anticipation, giving Kasuka a split second to avoid the outstretched limb.

@Kasuka
    Spoiler
    Show
    DC13 Ref save, or trip

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Clicking his tongue in annoyance, Kasuka pitches his load of dishes forward and leaps over the outstretched boot. Landing gracefully, he plucks the dirty dishes out of the air and collects himself with a proud sniff. Suddenly realizing his brief display of petty skill, Kasuka blushes in spite of himself and lowers his head shamefully. Without sparing a single glance behind him, he continues toward the kitchen where he had a fresh change of clothes waiting for him.

Behind closed doors, Kasuka sets at once to grumbling beneath his breath, possibly scaring away any of the inn's kept workers with his dark mutterings of swords and orifices. "What have I done to earn his enmity?" Once cleaned up and out of his work clothes, Kasuka quietly stalks out into Rusty Dragon and seeks out Shalelu and Ameiko.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Caleban

Despite the fury of Ameiko, Caleban continues to slowly chew his fat, hand rolled cigar, sending small tendrils of tobacco scented miasma around the table. Finally, he looks up

"Come on luv, you are hard on me. You know I ordered this morning. It is no good praying on a defenseless ghazdu (= male half orc) trying to read. I am outmatched.

But yes, bring me a tart and some strong tea. Strong I mean as his head is thick."
    pointing to Sandru in friendly gest.

Why am I here still? The road beckons. Koya needs me, or will need me, but I do not know how and why. And there is work to be done, always work to be done.
    Still. Goblins hah? Not a bad way to start. And where is that peacock of a man Eirik? Exchanging witticisms with him and discussing plans would be good.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Sandru whistles in spite of himself as Kasuka avoids the little prank, then turns back to his meal with a grin as he catches a few of the waiter's muttered threats. "Too easy... too easy to get to that one." he whispers to himself as Ameiko wheels and pegs the back of his head with a sweet bun.

"You're paying for that pastry, too. Sandru." She shouts.

Sandru turns back, his mouth curling open to deliver some no-doubt bitingly clever reply, but the sight of Ameiko, arm cocked back with a custard-stuffed tart in hand, shuts him up before he can start. "I'm sorry dear Caleban, but I'm afraid there are limits even to my brewing skills. You'll just have to settle for tea as strong as a donkey's skull."

Back across the room, Sandru has turned back to his meal, the back of his head still dripping honey frosting. Even across the crowded, smokey hall, you see that his shoulders are bouncing with quiet laughter.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2013-03-08 at 02:06 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Bhaakon's Brinewall Legacy IC

Silently, Kasuka stalks toward toward the table and takes a seat nearest to Shalelu. Eyes wearily flickering toward the half-orc, he nods politely and takes a sip of his tea. Best not to anger the patrons. Though the holy man of Desna was friendlier with Sandru than he would have liked, it was rather rude to assume so much of someone he knew so little off.

Never one to start off a conversation, Kasuka remains still unless spoken to and watches the rest of the inn out of the corners of his dull red eyes. Adventurers were tended to be finicky and pernicious, always on the lookout for some new scheme to strike it big. Dangerous, every one of them. Staring darkly at the Wanted papers, Kasuka thinks, "Adventurers are drawn to bounties like flies are to honey. If I were to resolve it, we would see less of these mercenary sorts wouldn't we?"

"And then perhaps Ameiko will think well of me for protecting her and the town..." Coughing, Kasuka stifles his blush and raises his cup of tea to hide the flow of blood rushing to his face.
    Last edited by Bad Situation; 2013-03-08 at 03:07 AM.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Eirik Evensong

The usual quiet of the inn's stables was disturbed when one of the piles of hay up in the rafters began to move and stir. A sound, half mutter, half moan, rose as the hay began to wave and stir, as if the haystack had suddenly turned into the dreaded hay elemental. Or worse yet, a shambling haystack.

To the disappointment of any elemental- or aberration-seeking adventurer, however, the cause of the haystack's sudden animation became apparent when a ruffled-up head of dark hair stuck out of the stack. Following the head crawled out a lean young man in a half-robe of greys and blues over leather armor, all of his clothings and hair covered in errant stalks of hay and mussed up from sleeping in them.

Never... ever again, Eirik cursed to himself as he stretched and pulled out his harp from the pile. No more drinking with dwarves, he sighed as he cleaned up his precious instrument, strumming it a little to make sure it wasn't broken. Or were they gnomes? Gods, this always happened when he let people buy him drinks.

Might as well go inside and get my earful. Hopefully this time I didn't try and make it sound like Sandru was farting out The Merry Widows of Jol, the young bard thought to himself as he flung the harp to his back and made sure he hadn't left any of his possessions in the haystack. Taking a look at his dishevealed appearance he snapped his fingers and allowed the comfortable rush of magic to iron out his clothes and comb his hair and beard, even making sure his shirt was tucked in his trousers. He then climbed down the rafters and headed into the inn proper.

"Good morning, everyone!" Eirik Evensong declared with a broad smile as he stepped inside, hoping that someone might remember what happened last night. Or better yet, if everybody didn't. "I'm not late for breakfast, am I?"
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, almost forgot... Sense Motive to see if Eirik should start running after... whatever happened the night before (1d20+5)[8]

And that minor magic trick? Prestidigitation.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Ameiko's face look sours as the Ulfen bard staggers in, his useful spell unable to cover up the more physiological effects of the previous night. "Well that depends, Eirik," she states deadpan, "on whether you can pay the stabling fee."

"It's only a silver a night, but I don't think you've had your complementary oats and brush down yet. And before you go asking how I know, just who do you think dragged your sorry rear into the stall?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Caleban

Caleban looks at the general direction of Eiric when he walks in. he has taken a liking to the man, partly because he is what Caleban isn't in all the things that don't matter, while being like minded in the things that do.

Ah, here he is. Let 's see if he remembers yesterday. Or me tucking him in the haystack. And how does he do the cleaning up trick?

"Rise and shine, you overdressed peacock. Have a coffee on me, for your bravery, still being here. Dwarves remember for a long long time, and you agreeing to marry that merchant 's daughter was quite something. After a look at her, neighbor, I would have been halfway to Absalom by now."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Lethos Far-wanderer

In the corner another elf quietly sits, eyes half-closed as he leans over his own cup of tea. The absence of cheap rotgut in it is a recent occurrence, to Ameiko's pleasure. She didn't lower herself to serve what the elf had been drinking until recently.

He had already seen the posting and now waited to watch the results. Already a crowd drawn to it, as always. Are any of them blooded? Or will they faint at the first stroke? No matter, I cannot pass on the gold. My journey will be expensive. And likely fatal, but that would be a relief in it's own way.

A whisper claws at the back of his mind, Goblins are weak, beneath you. Or beneath what you were. You have forgotten the dance, your arm is tired. Sing the blood song, become mighty.

He stands, ignoring the morning banter. He draws the fine ebon saber from his belt and balances it point down on the table. "I intend to hunt the beasts. Are any strong enough to follow?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Eirik Evensong

For his credit, Eirik at least had the decency to look ashamed. And Caleban's tale of woe only made him moan that much more. "You're... you're kidding, aren't you? Just a joke, right, Cal? Cal...?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive! (1d20+5)[6]

Seeing not a flinch of a joke in the half-orc's face, Eirik actually turned pale - a most vivid shift, considering how he had gone from red-faced to green around the gills the night before. "Oh gods... You're not kidding, are you? Please tell me it wasn't one of the Vinder girls? Vem's already threatened to make meat pies out of me if I go within sight of either of them."

With shaking fingers, the bard pulled out a silver piece from his slim purse, and placed it on the bar. "Please tell me there's a caravan leaving town tonight."
    Last edited by North_Ranger; 2013-03-08 at 10:49 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Caleban

Caleban stays serious for as long as he can, but the shaking of his shoulders becomes unstoppable after some seconds. A loud rumpling laugh erupts from his mouth, while miraculously, the cigar stays put.

'Mwamwahahahaha, that was worth it! That was worth help drag you into the stable yesterday! Mwahahahaha!"

Whipping his tears from his eyes, he turns to Ameiko

'Bring his majesty a strong coffee with a drop of whisky in. And some good bread and cheese for his stomach. I swear, that made my day."

Suddenly, the elf drinking in the other table sits up and sobers things up quickly. Caleban had seen him in town. Something odd about him. Some tale that needed telling. Finishing his tea and breakfast, Caleban eyes the man and puts the spent cigar down.

'You will need more than strength, I reckon. You will need fast hands for bowstrings, good eyes for the trails and at least a couple of clear heads. But I intend to hunt them myself. I am Caleban, by the way.

And this is Eirik. If I know him a bit, he will probably be joining us. What do you say, Eirik?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Eirik Evensong

"GodDAMMIT, Cal!" Eirik blurted out, looking enraged as hell. "Do you have any idea what that just did to me?! Gorum's balls, I swear I well-nigh shat myself!" he ranted at the half-orc, even though his rage soon started to shake and give way to relieved laughter.

"I swear, one of these days I'll make you pay, you damn wise-ass", he laughed, wiping tears from his eyes as he joined the old prankster at his table. "And next time, get me to my bed instead. That is, unless Ameiko's decided I should permanently move to the stables..."

The appearance of the elven sword-master and his statement of going goblin-hunting made Eirik frown. He recalled having met this one before; ranting about a fire and a faraway land when the elf was drunk as a Caydenite minister. At least this time he was sober.

Which meant he was serious about his statement.

"Not before breakfast", the young Ulfen man stated as he poured himself some coffee. "But after that... sure. With any luck, this might be worth a ditty or two."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"I am Lethos, called Far-wanderer. I doubt many songs will be written about a few goblins, unless you have a bent for comedy. I suspect others will be interested as well, so waiting for breakfast is reasonable." He sheathes his blade and strides to the bar, speaking quietly to Ameiko:

In Tien:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Not a mark on the table, don't worry. Any of these fools know which end of the sword to hold?"
    Last edited by stack; 2013-03-08 at 12:09 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Theodric sits with Sandru and laughs out loud as he sees what Ameiko throws at him. He watches Erik come forward remembering watching the man as he was thrown in the haystack. After hearing the elf announce his plan Theodric get to his feet, pulling Sandru with him. "We'll go with you. Won't we Sandru. It's time we did something like this and it's only goblins to fight. Ameiko you'd come with us wouldn't you? This place could do with 300 gold." He says in a jokey tone. "I'm probably too strong to help kill goblins but I'll give it a try and the money for hunting animals for an inn doesn't pay much, does it Ameiko. Come on Sandru we've got gobbos to kill."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Upon sighting the Ulfen, Kasuka scowls and goes for a dinner knife immediately and trains his sharp, hawk-like eyes on the 'performer' as he put it. Before he is able to reproach Eirik however, he is interrupted by the sudden appearance of another elf. Idly he wonders if he is at all related to Shalelu. It was truly a sight to behold, an elf who could speak Tien and so fluently at that.

Tien:
    Spoiler
    Show
    <This one, knows his way around a sword, I think. I am not particularly versed in war but I would like to think I know more than The Pig Man himself over there> he replies in perfectly accented Tien while gesturing to the bard.
    Last edited by Bad Situation; 2013-03-08 at 12:49 PM.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Lethos looks the pale youth over, eyes lingering on the weapon hanging at his side. He had seem him many times in the Dragon, but they rarely spoke. He leans in, speaking softly, minding his pronunciation,

Tien
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Been some time since I have seen a blade in that style. Interesting. Friend of Ameiko's, right? You coming on this hunt?"
    Last edited by stack; 2013-03-08 at 12:56 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Kasuka tilts his head to look at the elf before quieting, as if considering his response. <It is not a blade many are able to see...> comes his vague, if considerable reply.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Theodric looks confused as the two people speak in a strange language he'd rarely heard before. "Are you two coming then or are you going to spend the entire day speaking some strange language? Now, breakfast. I'll have your heartiest full breakfast, for a day out killing goblins."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Lethos glances at Theodric. "<Uncivilized>. I have already declared my intent and no one appears to be leaving before breakfast, so the length of our conversation is of little matter."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Eirik Evensong

"Calm down, master Lethos", Eirik offered with a frown. The elf's eagerness to get into a fight was starting to irritate him. "One does not start a day of hard work without a good breakfast. And goblin-hunting is hard work, isn't it? Sit down and pour yourself a cup of coffee. We can discuss where to start looking. In fact..."

The dark-haired Ulfen got up and walked over to Shalelu. "Miss Andosana? May I trouble you for the briefest of moments? My comrades and I intend to help the good sheriff with his goblin hunt. Perhaps you would be willing to join us for breakfast and share your wisdom in the matter?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy, if need be: (1d20+9)[11]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Silently, Kasuka gestures to all of the Rusty Dragon's patrons, noting the more well-armed of the lot. <These kinds usually are...>

That said, he sets down his tea and nods at Theodric, "My name is Kasuka." The albino man speaks softly, making it difficult for anybody outside of his immediate vicinity to hear his voice over the din of the Dragon. He watches the ranger's response warily but says nothing to the effect before turning away, choosing simply to train his eyes on the tea.
    Last edited by Bad Situation; 2013-03-08 at 01:35 PM.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

"You know, Eirik, goblin songs are pretty catchy. I think this excursion will be a fine learning experience for you. A real chance to hone your craft under the tutelage of your betters. Just be careful not to ask them for 'pointers' directly. The little buggers can be a bit enthusiastic when it comes to stabbing things." Ameiko fires off as she disappears into the back to fetch an arm load of food for the table

Sandru, finally cleaning himself off with an old handkerchief, gives Theodore a reproachful look (at least as much of one as he can muster while picking glaze and crumbs from his hair), "about time that we went trudging through the stinking muck after vermin and spare change? I know that *you* are short on cash, Theodore, but some of us have actual business to conduct. I'm sure Ameiko feels the same. At least until something truly interesting comes along..." He trails off as he sips his kahve.

Shalelu, for her part, seems all too eager to discuss the matter of killing goblins. If rumors hold true, it's both her profession and favorite pastime. She picks up her drink and half-eaten pastry and joins the burgeoning table of would-be bounty hunters. "I've a few moments to talk before my appointment with Sheriff Hemlock, what do you want to know?" She asks, as Ameiko emerges from the back with platters of sizzling breakfast meats, soft-boiled eggs, and spiced potatoes.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Eirik Evensong

"Oh no, I'm not falling for that one again. Last time I started singing that goblin chant - how did it go again? Stab the dog and cut the horse, goblins eat and take by force - on a request, sheriff Hemlock told me the next time he'd arrest me for disturbing the peace", Eirik chuckled at Ameiko's quip. "But if I see any tangled branch with some cat gut strung on it, I'll bring it back so you can ditch that samisen of yours", he added with equal amount of good-natured teasing. Ameiko had not changed over the years, definitely not. She and Eirik still kept finding ways to throw these friendly darts at each other.

Joining others at the breakfast table, he picked one of the eggs and cracked its shell. "I think the best question would be where to start looking."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Ameiko turns and sticks her tongue out at the Ulfen bard's crack, but declines to fire back. The Dragon is still teeming with patrons, and breakfast isn't going to serve itself.

Shalelu is much more responsive, "Well, that's the easy part. The Licktoads live in the Brinestump marsh, an hour's walk south of town. One day they settled down right on the old fishing trail and built a village. A couple of the old salts to demanded that the Sheriff roust them from their favorite fishing hole, but nothing ever came of it." As Shalelu explains, she produces an old scrap parchment and begins sketching a crude map with a stick of charcoal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Imagine that this is a crude sketch

"The real problem is what to do once you get there. There are probably three dozen of them holed up in that nest."
    She thinks for a moment before adding some more marks to the map. "I avoid the swamp when I can, but there might be others who can provide more detail. Walthus lives here, at the end of the new fish trail. People call him the warden of the swamp, but he's really just a bit of a loner who settled in Brinestump a few years past."

"And here is the witch's walk. Old Megus uses that trail, though no one has dared to follow her to her home. Superstitious folk say she'll curse intruders, steal their children, or some other nonsense. She's lived in Brinestump longer than I've been in Sandpoint, only coming to town for supplies every season or so. I can't remember when her last trip was, though."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Kasuka watches the Ulfen man closely, growing weary of the man's tiresome smirk by the second. The man was acting as though he was far closer to Ameiko than was truly proper. He was not even courting her for goodness sake! Taking a quiet breath, the ninja slowly replaces the knife onto the table and forcibly restrains himself. The last time he'd 'scared away' a man flirting with Ameiko resulted in a confiscation of his wakizashi and a week's worth of his pay. Not that he ever needed money, given his late uncle's...tendencies.

Remembering his Uncle's last words, Kasuka shakes off the nostalgia and looks toward Shalelu. Without fully meeting eye contact he quietly intones, "Warden. A wise warrior attacks not the dark."

<And a clever warrior attacks from within...>
    Last edited by Bad Situation; 2013-03-08 at 08:38 PM.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Lethos hangs back, unsure of the other elf, letting the others do the talking. He cared little for the details of crossing the marsh anyhow, though kept an ear open for tactical information about the actual encampment.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Eirik Evensong

The Ulfen answered in kind to Ameiko's tongue, but pushed the matter no further. After all, his fair Ameiko took a great amount of pride in her beloved Dragon; to distract her when she was keeping up the inn's excellent standards would surely get him kicked out of the inn and into the stables permanently.

"He is certainly a viable option", Eirik said, wiping his fingers clean after eating the egg. "But I must wonder... With age, wisdom follows. And this woman, Old Megus?", he continued, turning his eyes back towards the fair-haired elf. "Superstitious folk say she is a witch. But what says Shalelu Andosana?" he asked with a smile.