New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1452
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Number of Character Appearances V

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    Did you get a reply from Martianmaster at all. I got a reply bacvk from Mark Hall.
    Thanks for the reminder; it's been a busy week for me and I hadn't realized that so much time had gone by already. No, she hasn't responded. What did Mark say?
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    What did Mark say?
    Not much. Just to list some suitable moderators. I guess we still need to wait till Saturday. but I will reply back to Mark then - unless something intervenes of course.
    Last edited by Mad Humanist; 2016-03-03 at 01:49 AM.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    There is already a thread that tracks each character's speech balloon count.
    Yes, Onyavar brought it up when I asked about the combined translation text. I suggested combining threads (assuming we add additional data), but he hasn't responded to the idea, and we shouldn't do so without his permission.

edit:

Also, I propose that we use offline appearances, followed by additional pages, as a tiebreaker for ordering. (I propose this strictly because Higlya is currently listed between Cedric and Lee, and it looks weird)
    Last edited by unbeliever536; 2016-03-03 at 02:28 AM.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

4. - Top - End - #1174

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by unbeliever536 View Post
    Also, I propose that we use offline appearances, followed by additional pages, as a tiebreaker for ordering. (I propose this strictly because Higlya is currently listed between Cedric and Lee, and it looks weird)
    Sounds like a good idea. I've wondered why they don't do that too.

5. - Top - End - #1175

Thanks for the reminder; it's been a busy week for me and I hadn't realized that so much time had gone by already. No, she hasn't responded. What did Mark say?
    I think time's up now. I guess if Martianmaster was going to get in touch she would have done so by now. I'll ask the moderators to get properly involved. Maybe the best compromise of precedent (which makes sure that no coup is going on) and transparent input from the community is that if you want to run the thread you should put forward proposals on what you changes you would like to make and send a private message to Mark Hall. If you want to make changes (but don't want to to run the thread) you should put those forward too. I guess the extent to which we find a balance between "democracy" and precedent is open to negotiation but if there is no consensus here then precedent must prevail.

Edit: Also according to precedent you should PM Mark if you want a particular person to curate the new thread.
    Last edited by Mad Humanist; 2016-03-05 at 03:00 PM.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I think time's up now. I guess if Martianmaster was going to get in touch she would have done so by now. I'll ask the moderators to get properly involved. Maybe the best compromise of precedent (which makes sure that no coup is going on) and transparent input from the community is that if you want to run the thread you should put forward proposals on what you changes you would like to make and send a private message to Mark Hall. If you want to make changes (but don't want to to run the thread) you should put those forward too. I guess the extent to which we find a balance between "democracy" and precedent is open to negotiation but if there is no consensus here then precedent must prevail.

Edit: Also according to precedent you should PM Mark if you want a particular person to curate the new thread.
    The Mod Wonder:

Shoot, has it been 4 years since we did this? Nominations are due by Midnight, US Central Time, March 9th.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #1177

Whatever happens as far as curators go--I agree with Emanick's notion that appearances of the HPoH should count for both the HPoH and for Durkon, irrespective of whether that character speaks. (Emanick, sorry if I didn't characterize your position on that quite right.) It's the only way that makes sense to me given how the thread treats other characters--treating impersonations, drawings, etc, as appearances.

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by unbeliever536 View Post
    Makes sense.
    Last edited by Bird; 2016-03-06 at 12:11 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Oh, actually, yeah, I like both of those changes.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Whatever happens as far as curators go--I agree with Emanick's notion that appearances of the HPoH should count for both the HPoH and for Durkon, irrespective of whether that character speaks. (Emanick, sorry if I didn't characterize your position on that quite right.) It's the only way that makes sense to me given how the thread treats other characters--treating impersonations, drawings, etc, as appearances.

Also:

Makes sense.
    Indeed, that's exactly what my position is. So, yeah, those are both things that I plan to do if I wind up as curator.

I also think I'll create a separate section to rank characters by their total number of appearances, treating all pages as equal, if that's all right with most people. To prevent excessive clutter, this section would only track those characters with over 10 total appearances.

For the sake of formality, this post contains the formal list of changes I would make to the thread. I may or may not consider others if a thread consensus exists for making tweaks like that - this is a community project, after all, and I don't want to make any significant decisions about what direction it should go in unilaterally. As an extension of that principle, if any of the above changes that I already plan on making wind up being opposed by most thread participants, I'll probably ditch them.

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Titan in the Playground

I think the OP would benefit from turning the non-grouped entries into a table, with columns for total number of appearances by page, by strip, book, mentions, etc, instead of the colorful but otherwise confusing system (I can never remember what blue and red numbers mean). Throw in a few "total" columns at the end for ordering, and that will make a nice upgrade to the OP structure. It should also be relatively easy to auto generate, if you have the info in an excel sheet or similar.

The masses of minor characters with few appearances can stay as they are, though, I think.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Troll in the Playground

I agree with Emanick and Bird about the changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #1182

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    (I can never remember what blue and red numbers mean)
    Blue numbers are additional pages, red numbers are bonus appearances.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Blue numbers are additional pages, red numbers are bonus appearances.
    I meant I can't remember which is which, when I'm scrolling down the list and comparing any two characters. I could always check the explanation in the OP, but then I lose my place. Since red does not mean "bonus page" nor blue means "extra page", they don't really help me remember.

GW
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I meant I can't remember which is which, when I'm scrolling down the list and comparing any two characters. I could always check the explanation in the OP, but then I lose my place. Since red does not mean "bonus page" nor blue means "extra page", they don't really help me remember.

GW
    Oh yeah, that's always bothered me, too. I've always wished there was something at the top of the page that reminded the reader of what red text meant and what blue text meant. I'll probably add a line to that effect at the top of the new thread.

I like your suggestion for using a table to order character appearances, too, although I think that might be a discussion we should postpone until the new thread.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Ettin in the Playground

The masses of minor characters with few appearances can stay as they are, though, I think.
    I honestly think characters with no name or official title should be separated. The whole section of characters with <10 appearances is an eyesore thanks to stuff like Sapphire Guard with XXX Hair and Draketooth with Whatever Clothes. If someone wants to compare the appearances of meaningful yet minor characters like the gods they have to ctrl + F and it's just clunky.

Fun stuff like Ted and Shlubbo No-Name-Zaki can stay with the "real characters." By the way, stuff like that were why I proposed counting an appearance for Number of Character Appearances, but I'm not going to insist on it.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    I honestly think characters with no name or official title should be separated [from those that do have a name or title].
    Huh. Not a bad idea. You have my vote.

GW

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

As someone possessed of a soft spot for background extras, I don't want to remove the unnamed characters by any means. But I would certainly not object to separating them from minor named characters. It might be more trouble than it's worth, though - for instance, we'd have to decide if the various Godsmoot High Priests and Priestesses counted as 'named' or not.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2016-03-06 at 10:02 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

18. - Top - End - #1188

Oh yeah, that's always bothered me, too. I've always wished there was something at the top of the page that reminded the reader of what red text meant and what blue text meant. I'll probably add a line to that effect at the top of the new thread.

I like your suggestion for using a table to order character appearances, too, although I think that might be a discussion we should postpone until the new thread.
    Separating unnamed characters is too much of a break with tradition for me. I like the table idea though.

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Separating unnamed characters is too much of a break with tradition for me. I like the table idea though.
    Yeah, that would be a logistical nightmare as well as an inevitably arbitrary exercise, IMO (what constitutes a name, and what doesn't?). It also wouldn't account for the fact that having a name is not the same as being important - the unnamed Cleric of Loki is much more important and interesting than, say, the three named barbarians Belkar killed in the Barbaryunz Gild. I'm not a particularly big fan of that potential tweak.

Was that an implied part of Grey Wolf's proposal? I didn't understand it as such.

It's unfortunately true that the mass of characters with fewer than 10 appearances is a bit of an ugly mess, but that may be an unavoidable problem, since there are so many of them. I'm open to ideas on how to make the section more sightly, although my hopes are not high that it can get much better than it is.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Ettin in the Playground

what constitutes a name, and what doesn't?
    Simple: if they had only 1 appearance, would they have qualified for the Cameos
    (named characters with 1 appearance)? If not, they go under the unnamed section. On the plus side, this would allow us to track stuff like the lizardfolk who became Malack while prevent him from reaching Major Character status (which is rather silly).

If nothing else, I suggest we rename the minor bandit, Sapphire Guard, etc. characters to Bandit with X and Sapphire Guard with X so that they're at least clumped together (as is currently the case for Draketooths and high priests).
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Titan in the Playground

Was that an implied part of Grey Wolf's proposal? I didn't understand it as such.
    No, my proposal was explicitly only for the top part of the list, the ones that get a row each, and therefore are almost table-like. I said to leave the masses at the bottom as they are. Gift Jeraff's proposal, on the other hand, deals with the masses.

GW

22. - Top - End - #1192

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Agreed, that had been what I supported doing since the initial reveal of HPoH.

I don't think unnamed characters should be separated from named characters, though. Whether they have a name doesn't alter how may times they appeared.

23. - Top - End - #1193

I'm not sure exactly what's being suggested, but I think the idea should be to separate the named characters from the unnamed within a section, so under each number there'd be two paragraphs, one for each group. Renaming anonymous characters within a group also sounds good.

Oh, and:

1027: Belkar, Blackwing, Elan, Haley, Roy, Vaarsuvius. I think that's Felix and Bandana on the right of the first panel, but I can't identify the other three crew members.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Titan in the Playground

Not that I expect much dissension on this point, but I agree that the next title should be "We Like Counting Things".

And while we're discussing procedures, I favor the interpretation that every appearance of the vampire counts as both the former High Priest of Hel and as Durkon. I'm not sure what to do about the names of vampire characters, though: We have been calling the vampire using Durkon's body "High Priest of Hel", but he's technically not any more, and we have a number of other characters (most notably Gontor) who have also been vampirized, and for whom we ought to make the same distinction. I think the proper way of referring to such characters would be systematic, so we'd call the vampire using Durkon's corpse "Durkon's Vampire" and the one using Gontor's corpse "Gontor's Vampire", and so on, though I'm not sure what the best phrasing of that would be. It's also not clear what to do with Malack, whom we've only ever seen and been introduced to as a vampire: Should Malack actually be called "Malack's Vampire" (assuming that was the long-dead shaman's name), or should the shaman actually be called "Malack's Mortal", or should we just ignore the issue for that one because they have exactly the same set of appearances?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

25. - Top - End - #1195

Malack wasn't the original's name. I don't really see the point of distinguishing Malack from the corpse, especially when we never saw the original, any more than we should count the bodies that make up Grubby's flesh golems.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

26. - Top - End - #1196

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Malack wasn't the original's name. I don't really see the point of distinguishing Malack from the corpse, especially when we never saw the original, any more than we should count the bodies that make up Grubby's flesh golems.
    May be the rules should be:
    1.) For all vampire's we call them "X's vampire" unless X's vampire and X are known to use different names.
    2.) We only bother distinguishing X and X's vampire if either we saw X or X's corpse before they became a vampire or if we see X's vampire and X's spirit in conversation.

27. - Top - End - #1197

PirateGuy

May be the rules should be:
    1.) For all vampire's we call them "X's vampire" unless X's vampire and X are known to use different names.
    2.) We only bother distinguishing X and X's vampire if either we saw X or X's corpse before they became a vampire or if we see X's vampire and X's spirit in conversation.
    Sounds reasonable. Making a point out of Malack being a Negative Energy spirit controlling a long-dead lizardfolk shaman's body is too clunky for the thread when we only ever saw Malack the vampire, but with folks like Durkon and Gontor the distinction makes sense. And "X's Vampire" (i.e. "Durkon's Vampire" rather than "High Priest of Hel") sounds like a pretty clear but concise terminology that can be applied to any and every vampire.

28. - Top - End - #1198

So another deadline passes....

29. - Top - End - #1199

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    Sounds reasonable. Making a point out of Malack being a Negative Energy spirit controlling a long-dead lizardfolk shaman's body is too clunky for the thread when we only ever saw Malack the vampire, but with folks like Durkon and Gontor the distinction makes sense. And "X's Vampire" (i.e. "Durkon's Vampire" rather than "High Priest of Hel") sounds like a pretty clear but concise terminology that can be applied to any and every vampire.
    Yeah, I agree that sounds pretty good.

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry for all the waiting. I've been busy with health related issues. I'll try to read all of your post.
    Last edited by martianmister; 2016-03-10 at 10:00 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show