New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. L: The Snark(ie) Alive - Death Actually Is Zombies

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    The academic one specifically, but the period one I'm well on board with as well.

I've recently been dealing with kind of the opposite of the academic elitism while on facebook recently - there's a group for Old English and currently there's a guy on there who's taking the "scholars can and have been wrong before, so I'm going to completely discount what scholars say because they use words like "tentative" and "reconstruction" to describe their theories, while my (completely made up by me) philosophy of language tells me completely differently, and since I know what I was thinking when I thought it, I trust it more than I trust the scholars.

It's about as dumb in the opposite direction as it gets.
    Oh joy. Academia free from the rigours of peer review and admitting to not knowing things. And having a system (in this case of linguistics) that, while theoretical is still about as accurate as we can be given the relative dearth of materials in OE.
    Does this Dude understand linguistics? Or the fact that most dead language are reconstructions? Imagine the fit he'd throw when faced by Gothic then! Do you think he knows PIE?

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I may or may not have said this before, but it takes a real man to be a woman.
    Rosie the Riveter approves this statement.
    Also: pregnancy is disgusting, but as I've not experienced it I won't discuss it and how your beset by hideous illnesses and side effects for months.

Oh crap, you're British too? As in, "one train ride and you can hunt me down and take a brutal trophy of my skull"!? I.... Is it too late to add the prefix 'Meant with all due respect' or have I already blown that chance?
    A nice bit of abject grovelling is flattering. And given my location in the arse-end of nowhere it'd take too long and more than one train to get a chance to improve trepanning skills.

I'm actually slightly surprised that you didn't make more out of the fact that, as Facebath's original intent was to make make an Epic Fantasy-Metal song about Dominic meeting the Destroyer, Dominic isn't just denouncing them for making 'trivial' songs about myths but about something that actually happened.

The Destroyer isn't a myth - it exists. It's an Eldritch Abomination living in a universe where other Eldritch Abominations sit down to tea with the protagonist's mother. But no - Lord Dominic says that rock music is for the plebeians and that they shouldn't be making stories about real events that have occurred within days of his decree other stories.
    Well, the strip in question was talking about a Nagastra myth involving a dragon. See, he approves of writing mythical songs if they're about him, but not if they're about some peon from another age.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Oh god.

The horror. I'm going to enjoy reading that.
    Yes, people at the time did too. I was stuck drinking warming Newcastle Brown Ale towards the end because everything else was gone. I hate Newkie Brown.

Yeah, an open and frank discussion about sexuality isn't really something that happens. Hence why you're link to this amused me so much, I know exactly what they're talking about.
    Well genitals are quite funny. So's sex. That or disgusting.

On that note: Fine weather we're having lately.
    I know. It's only rained for one day this past week, and the weather's otherwise been warm, welcoming and encouraging people to swim at the beach. And people are wearing shorts and t-shirts without being at risk from illness and hypothermia! Even the breezes are balmy and pleasantly smell like the beach. Well, I live at the beach, so all breezes do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Things like that make me happy to be a man. Fun fact: did you know that there's a sickness that makes the period even more uncomfortable for women?

Funny how the discussion in this DD thread turned to things that make women feel pain.
    It's almost like our meta commentary is going meta on itself.

But now for something different.

Back then, I liked the two story arcs about the DoD and the Band. They were so wonderfully insane. And I like the term "Crab Cop" someone coined back then. I still do and regularly mention it, even if no one else thinks it's funny.

A few of thing you mentioned and criticized are funny in hindsight for me now; you will see why.
    Oh now I'm intrigued and wanting to read more. That said, I am a whole ten days into the next arc so . . . welp.

Mookie separated the chapters of Maltak earlier this week.
    Really.
    It took him that long. Wasn't Maltak 2009? Talk about procrastinating.

Speaking of analyses.

Lobsterwhat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. L: The Snark(ie) Alive - Death Actually Is Zombies

Lobstercop

or as they are in DD: "Destroyers"

that is literally their name, I'm not making it up.

They are basically giant super-dimensional lobsters. they dwell in the plane of destruction and if you create something in the plane of destruction, they come and destroy you.

just one was enough to beat Snuggly, and Dominic was able to scare Snuggly off by pretending to harness the Destroyer's power.

and here is the stupid part:

Lobstercop only makes one appearance. and doesn't actually kill Snuggly. Dominic never harnesses Lobstercop ever again. why? no reason given. Dominic could just lure Snuggly back to the plane of destruction and bait enough Destroyers to actually destroy Snuggly and the problem would be solved.

does he do so?

No.

Yes thats right, the big bad of the comic, is less powerful than a nameless monster that is common to a certain plane. a monster that was easily used to destroy Snuggly using some grade-school deception and a stuffed bunny, again not making this up- Dominic literally created a stuffed bunny, put it on Snuggly, then pointed at Snuggly like a child going "he did it! he did it!"
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #123

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Lobstercop

They are basically giant super-dimensional lobsters. they dwell in the plane of destruction and if you create something in the plane of destruction, they come and destroy you.

just one was enough to beat Snuggly, and Dominic was able to scare Snuggly off by pretending to harness the Destroyer's power.

Lobstercop only makes one appearance. and doesn't actually kill Snuggly. Dominic never harnesses Lobstercop ever again. why? no reason given. Dominic could just lure Snuggly back to the plane of destruction and bait enough Destroyers to actually destroy Snuggly and the problem would be solved.

does he do so?

No.

Yes thats right, the big bad of the comic, is less powerful than a nameless monster that is common to a certain plane. a monster that was easily used to destroy Snuggly using some grade-school deception and a stuffed bunny, again not making this up- Dominic literally created a stuffed bunny, put it on Snuggly, then pointed at Snuggly like a child going "he did it! he did it!"
    Oh I know that. I'm currently in the arc called Revelation and have just seen LobsterDom. And I see we have some of the same questions too.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

does he do so?

No.
    The sad thing is, by the end of the comic, Snuggly has been proven to be stupid enough to fall for that, if only because he failed to kill someone in his grasp as he wasted time monologing and thus allowed someone to intercede, something like 4 times! In under an hour!

5. - Top - End - #125

Good evening ladies and gentlemen, help yourself to some popcorn, and welcome to the next episode of
    Analysing Dominus Deegan

The Golden Age*
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Frail Hope of Adequate Enjoyment
    21/05/2002 - 17/07/2002 Arcs covered: Oracle for Hire, The Curse
    The First Signs of Serious Psychological Issues Appear
    18/07/2002 - 4/12/2002 Arcs covered: The Curse, Luna, Into the Woods
    In Which Teh Great Dominus Indulges in Torture and Terrifies Me
    5/12/2002 - 21/02/2003 Arcs covered: Into the Woods, Couch Forts and Crying
    Dominatrix Luna. Oh, and The Dominus is More Feared Than A Necromancer
    22/01/2003 - 11/03/2003 Arcs covered: Makeover!, Mob Mentality
    Thing Are Looking Up
    12/03/2003 - 30/04/2003 Arcs covered: Visions of Doom Parts One and Two
    Siggy Is Iesus. Make of That What You Will
    01/05/2003 -23/06/2003 Arcs covered: Visions of Doom Parts Three and Four
    The Great Dominus Is Officially A Marty Stue an It's THRILLER! THRILLER NIGHT!
    24/06/2003 - 19/08/2003 Arcs covered: Visions of Doom Parts Five and Six
    Character Development! And We Conclude an Arc
    20/08/2003 - 10/09/2003 Arcs covered: Visions of Doom Parts Seven and Eight
    Short Arc Is Short
    11/09/2003 - 21/10/2003 Arcs covered: The Party

The Tarnished Age
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hell Is Meaningless Filler
    23/10/2003 - 20/11/2003 Arcs covered: The Ecstasy and the Evil Part One
    Kink + Dominus Deegan = Eye and Brain Bleach
    11/11/2003 - 16/12/2003 Arcs covered: The Ecstasy and the Evil Parts Two and Three
    Inflatable Boobs and Sex! Occasional Plotting Is Permitted
    17/12/2003 - 30/01/2004 Arcs covered: The Ecstasy and the Evil Parts Four and Five
    Enter: Deus Ex Machina! And Boobs.
    31/01/2005 - 19/04/2004 Arcs covered: The Ecstasy and the Evil Parts Six and Seven
    Mookie Reveals More of His Sexual Fantasies. And Noone Ever Suffers From Any Effects of A Near-Rape. Ever!
    20/04/2004 -26/05/2004 Arcs covered: TEatE Parts Eight and Nine

The Silver Age
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Corruption of Sister Pam. Iocks Are Misogynistic Idiots.
    27/05/2004 - 27/08/2004 Arcs covered: Hello Nurse
    All Hands On Deck! Swirly Thing Alert!
    06/09/2004 - 22/10/2004 Arcs covered: The Storm of Souls Parts One and Two
    Darlings, Can't You Hear My SoS?
    25/010/2004 - 28/11/2004 Arcs covered: The Storm of Souls Parts Three and Four
    Attack of the Pointless Sub-Plots!
    29/11/2004 - 06/01/2005 Arcs covered: The Storm of Souls Parts Five and Six
    Is It A Bird? Is It A Plane? No! It's SuperGreg!
    07/01/2005 - 24/02/2005 Arcs covered: TSoS Parts Seven and Eight
    Analysing Dominus Deegan The Musical
    25/02/2005 - 31/03/2005 Arcs covered: TSoS Parts Nine and Ten
    Venus Gets Angry, and the Dominus Doesn't Have A Leg To Stand On
    01/04/2005 - 05/06/2005 Arcs covered: TSoS Parts Eleven, Twelve and Thirteen

The Bronze Age
    Spoiler
    Show
    CURSE YOU RUNCIBLE SPOON! I Have Flashbacks to WoT
    13/06/2005 - 09/07/2005 Arcs covered: My First Day and Interlude Versions One and Two
    Contrived Coincidences and Rape Have Broken Me
    11/07/2005 - 25/10/2005 Arcs covered: The Battle For Barthis Part One
    A Hug Makes Me Furious
    26/10/2005 - 09/01/2006 Arcs covered: The Battle For Barthis Parts Two and Three
    A Melna Special: The Explanation
    01/01/2006 - 27/01/2006 Arcs covered: The War In Hell Part One
    This Episode Erupts With Kittens! Well, It Should
    30/01/2006 - 06/03/2006 Arcs covered: The War In Hell Parts Two and Three
    I Dwell on the Paradox That Is Mookie
    07/03/2006 - 20/03/2006 Arcs covered: The War In Hell Parts Four and Five
    Time To 'Save' Szark!
    21/03/2006 - 28/05/2006 Arcs covered: The War In Hell Parts Six and Seven[
    Assassination and Moustaches
    30/05/2006 - 11/07/2006 Arcs covered: The War In Hell Parts Eight and Nine
    R.I.P. Siggy
    12/07/2006 - 01/09/2006 Arcs covered: The War In Hell Parts Ten and Eleven and Interlude: The Best of Dominic Deegan

The Iron Age
    Spoiler
    Show
    This Comic Is NOT Shakespeare
    04/09/2006 - 16/09/2006 Arcs covered: Two Thief Or Not To Thief? Part One
    If I Want Mafia, I'll Watch Bugsy Malone
    17/09/2009 - 14/10/2009 Arcs covered: Two Thief Or Not Two Thief? Parts Two and Three
    Time To Take the Offensive
    15/10/2006 - 18/11/2006 Arcs covered: Two Thief Or Not Two Thief? Parts Four and Five
    The Break Up
    19/11/2006 - 10/12/2006 Arcs covered Two Thief Or Not Two Thief? Parts Six and Seven

The Ice Age
    Spoiler
    Show
    Boobs. Nothing More. BOOBS!!
    11/12/2006 - 15/01/2007 Arcs covered: Wrapped Up and Returned, Class Action Part One
    Melna. Loves. Her. Rapist.
    16/01/2007 - 18/03/2007 Arcs covered: Class Action Parts Two and Three
    Oh. Geography.
    19/03/2007 - 23/05/2007 Arcs covered: Class Action Parts Four, Five, Six, Seven and Eight
    It's Worse Than I Imagined
    24/05/2007 - 21/08/2007 Arcs covered: Snowsong
    I Drank Too Much
    22/08/2007 - 06/12/2007 Arcs covered: Shadow of Siegfried
    Short, But Not Sweet
    07/12/2007 - 23/122007 Arcs covered: Endings and Annoyances
    My Counters Explode. So do I. Part One and Part Two
    01/01/2008 - 24/04/2008 Arcs covered: The Oracle Hunter

The Dragon Age
    Spoiler
    Show
    . . . Meh.
    25/04/2008 - 25/05/2008 Arcs covered: Oh, Snap
    Dull.
    26/05/2008 - 29/06/2008 Arcs covered: Around the World Airship to Nagastrali
    Best. Panel. Ever.
    30/06/2008 - 20/10/2008 Arcs covered: Around the World Olde Tucklebruck Island to end.
    The Unstoppable Airman - Sorry, Wrong Comic.
    21/10/2008 - 21/12/2008 Arcs covered: Built to Resist

Orc (Outr)Age
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Maltak Marathon
    05/01/2009 - 05/02/2010 Arcs covered: THE ENTIRE BLOODY THING IN ONE NIGHT!
    This link goes to the collected archive for this particular arc.

The Lost Age
    Spoiler
    Show
    Boobs, Wonderful Boobs, Marvellous Boobs, Glorious Boobs! Yeah.
    08/02/2010 - 29/03/2010 Arcs covered: The Beast, Part One and A Nimmel House
    Com On Feel The Noize Just Random Noize!
    30/03/2010 - 11/06/2010 Arcs covered: The Beast, Part Two and B.Y.O.B.
    A Lack of Information
    14/06/2010 - 21/06/2010 Arcs covered: The Beast, Part Three
    Crunch Crunch Stunt.
    21/06/2010 - 27/08/2010 Arcs covered: Walk the Wild Edge
    Flowers And A Minor Meltdown
    30/08/2010 - 06/09/2010 Arcs covered: THE BEAST! Part Four
    They Just Lit A Rocket. Rockets Explode!
    09/06/2010 - 10/12/2010 Arcs covered: The Court of Karnak
    It Is A Tale . . . Full of Repetitive Exposition and Non-Jokes, Signifying Nothing
    13/12/2010 - 27/12/2010 Arcs covered: THE BEAST! Part Five

The Death of the Age of Innocence
    The Aborted Recap
    03/01/2011 - 04/02/2011 Arcs covered: Altered States
    Curly's Beef Or, That's A Lot of Pictures
    03/01/2011 - 11/01/2011 Arcs covered: Altered States ('part one').
    Rage
    12/01/2011 - 04/02/2011 Arcs covered: Altered States
    Lovecraftian Horror: Surprisingly Dull
    07/02/2011 - 24/02/2011 Arcs covered: Symphony of Destruction
    Academic Elitism
    28/02/2011 - 18/03/2011 Arcs covered: Face-to-Facebath
    Lobsters
    21/03/2011 - 25/04/2011 Arcs covered: Revelation

Let the experiment proceed!**

Lobsters
    21/03/2011 - 25/04/2011 Arcs covered: Revelation
    Spoiler
    Show
    OH MY GOD WHAT THE CHRIST IN HELL IS THAT And here I was innocently looking for an easy image to identify so I know when the arc ends.

So Luna's wear an outfit that doesn't make her like she's not wearing a bra as her bust is actually defined, and . . . she doesn't look too bad. The cloak is a nice touch too because, for once, Luna's clothing isn't just solid blocks of colour.

Should I comment on the irony
    of the main Mookie-insert not enjoying metal concerts because of the noise? Or the fact that despite the fact Mookie's in his early thirties at best he's doing extra work when he could be being lazy? And not going out with his attractive fiancée to have kinky mosh pit/bathroom sex? Not saying that skipping out on some amateur proto-death/heavy metal band for trying to save the world is a bad thing. Maybe his experiences in Symphony of Destruction lead to realise eldritch abominations trying to end the world are a bad thing.

But how did the Snugglythulu find the Dominus? Is that a physical projection or a mental one? Metaphysical? Also, I didn't want to bring this up without the proof, but I'm pretty sure that at one point the Dominus said it was impossible to scry on Snugglythulu, and I finally found the comic where Snugglythulu's mere existence blocks the DOminus' Sight from those it touches. So shouldn't this prevent the Dominus from scrying on Snugglythulu as well? Because it's made of the same unSeeing things that have tainted Venus and TIM. I mean, it makes sense that something whose mere psychic presence makes people unscryable would be unscryable too. Right? That said, I do approve of Snugglythulu scrying on the Dominus.

And our Snugglythulu's becoming less and less eldritch as the comic goes on. Two chapters ago it was humanoid, and now it talks. Now, I'm not saying Nyarlathotep isn't an eldritch abomination (who in one or two or those pictures looks eerily like Rilian), but making Snugglythulu more and more human reduces it quite substantially because, even though it learns from its experiences, it doesn't feel as alien as it once did.

Oh look, incoming {{Confiller}}. Ask and thou shalt receive.

Snugglythulu's also learnt a new trick:
    how to depower a Seer. Not much else to say really, except that Snugglythulu's grin is rather maliciously adorable.

As an aside, did you know that even though this comic is complete and ten years old it doesn't have a Wikipedia page. Or a barely sketched out wiki that doesn't appear to have been made by readers of this thread. This is very strange.

Snugglythulu's so cute, and I finally figured out why, he reminds me of Tokomon and other in-training level Digimon. Snugglythulumon doesn't even knw how to chew his food properly given that the panel edges (where the panel represents the Dominus' mind/mental projection) are scarcely damaged. But then I thought I saw the fake leg in the right-most panel, so I checked here again and it's definitely the fake leg, and we know from a {{Newspos}} in Symphony of Destruction that the Dominus mentally projects himself as a whole being now. So is this extra-planar? It certainly suggest it's really happening. Is this the real life? Is it just fantasy? Maybe Mookie just forgot. Yeah, he probably did didn't he? Or perhaps Snugglythulumon even blocked the Dominus' ability to give himself a fake psychic leg.

. . .

. . .

First off: magic mood lighting. But most importantly: What in the Hell. I don't even. Mookie thinks it looks {{neat}}, and the concept is interesting, but that is some kind of freakish dog-ant-crab crossbreed. See, insect-types tend not to have noses/snouts like mammals, and they don't have teeth because they have mandibles. Which are teeth. How do the glasses stick on? There aren't any hooks for the ears. It can't be a mental projection because of the whole prosthetic leg thing. This is, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but this is easily in the top five single most stupid panels in the entire comic. So much so that I actually ran straight to the thread archive to see how snarkers reacted in real-time. For the first time ever. After I've finished snarking.

Also, "Believe it, Beast" sounds a lot like the introduction to another Deegan horror. Why is that the the sadistic, mass murdering, possible necrophiliac of a necromancer is the least horrific of all the Deegan brothers? At his worse appearance-wise, he only walked around with a skeletal arm and missing half a face - which he covered with a mask (perhaps for Christine?), so he looked perfectly fine. Where's Jacob? I miss Jacob. He was cool, even had some semblance of a story arc and character development. Then again, if Jacob came back he'd end up subjected to Siggyfication.

And the thing is, this isn't even surprising (beyond the obvious what the hell) because we all know the Dominus is a squishy wizard who prides himself on his 'intellect'. And he and Luna both specialise in illusion spells. That and I'd rather believe Snugglythulumon who'd probably know what's possible and impossibru when it comes to hybridising human-eldritch abominations. It's an illusion. It's one of the oldest jokes in the comic.

And does Snugglythulumon himself have to talk? They're in a place of the mind and Snugglythulumon can clearly understand some speech. Why not use memories? Colours? (Well, it'd take too long to draw!) Or, anyone here read Gunnerkrigg Court? So why not use a similar technique to how Zimmy and Gamma communicate with each other when the fainter words are clearly memories cycling through Gamma's head? You could even just straight rip-off Zalgo text so it looks like the words are actually coming from a mouth not suited to speaking.

But, damn, Snugglythulumon's the cutest little eldritch abomindation isn't he?

And this strip gives two golden 'panels'. The last two to be exact. Hell, you could you the "Are you willing to stick around and see what a fool I am?" Dirty Harry-esque panel as the perfect exemplar of the Dominic Deegan experience. Either way, ladies, gentlemen and other, after this lunacy I can officially say DD is back to its golden age of insanity.

Where did the mask come from? Why would he have a mask like that? His super saiyan Seer powers were nerfed by Snugglythulumon (who isn't even a Rookie digimon!) so he shouldn't have been able to create anything right? Why was an eldritch abomination fooled by a fake lobster claw and awful Predator mask? Why did the mas have glasses? Why not cast a full illusion spell rather than make a mask?

And we're kindly informed {{this arc does take place on the psychoplanes (which earlier were called metaphysical planes (unless the psychoplane is the space between metaphysical planes)), so why the prosthetic leg?

WHY DID THIS FOOL SNUGGLYTHULUMON?! This was an ambush. And he fled because the Dominus decided to become a lobster. Omnomnom him up with a nice bit of asparagus before having Luna pie. And why would an eldritch abomination think on the same level as a human? Just because an eldritch abomination from beyond time and space can control what happens in the psychoplanes doesn't mean a human should. Especially one whose special abilities have been borked.

Really all this confirms that Snugglythulumon is just a baby. Which would actually be an amazing twist wouldn't it? Snugglythulumon is just a baby abomination and is lost, scared and alone, so he's lashing out in fear because he wants his mummy like the Krafayris from 'Vincent and the Doctor'. Then it turns out that Snugglymama was the Nakta and supplying magic to the entire planet or something, so it really is the Dominus' fault all this is going down!

But nope, not going to happen is it? An eldritch abomination just ran away from a disabled non-magical human wearing a mask and a fake claw. Way to completely destroy any potential threat Snugglythulumon poses. How did you go from something legitimately interesting and fairly dangerous (within the context of the usual Deegan fare), being able to control minions of Hell and be involved in the Maltak-thing to 'oh, do you want to know how stupid I can be? Do you feel lucky? Do ya, punk?' and Snugglythulumon fleeing like a coward.

And don't we already know that Snugglythulumon can be tricked and outwitted? Remember the teddybomb? So this proved only that Snugglythulumon becomes stupider the more humanoid he becomes.

"Turns out the Beast is not the omnipotent wholly alien god-thing from between dimensions that we thought it was." This is Mookie-speak for: 'yeah guys, I've been reading the forums, and this hype about Snugglythulumon is really high, I'll never be able to live up to this. So what I'm going to do is nerf it in canon so you can't complain when I - I mean Dominic whip it like cream.' Not only can he not live up to potential hype, he actively destroys the characterisation in-universe that made the person popular out-of-universe.

Siggy was fantastic and had really grown as a person, then boom! Racism cuckolding murderer and then DMC-Siggy and then Not-Siggy. Lady Jayden went from being a fairly sweet, if D&D standard cleric to be an adulterer who then went crazy and Hell-controlled. Aside from Mayor Pam and Elanovan and other relatively minor characters can you think of any characters or plot you genuinely liked (or enjoyed) who didn't suffer some kind of awful fate (from a characterisation/plot point of view)?

Even Jacob suffered from this to a degree even though he's a Deegan. Warlord Moustache, being a posthumous character mostly escaped, except for the fate of his soul.

Snugglythulumon was once this oddly cute, abstract tentacled thing that liked twisting and warping minds for no apparent reason. He didn't really emote, but he was cool and was an interesting idea. Very few franchises suffer from the injection of some Lovecraftian horror that is incomprehensible to human/other minds. Even My Little Pony has eldritch abominations! Oh look, there's a good example of a humanoid (look, it's pony society, and he's kind of pony-like), talking, embodiment of pure chaos and he manages to come off as far more threatening a villain than Snugglythulumon does at this point. This comic would be greatly improved is Discord was the eldritch abomination.

Oh, and another good example of a humanoid, talking eldritch being beyond our ken: Q. He does things. Why? They amuse him. Or someone. Or because he wants to. Maybe he has an overarching plan. Maybe he doesn't. Maybe his life's purpose is to drive Picard insane before shifting into another reality and doing to same to some ponies. Who knows! He's Q and a Q does what a Q wants because Q can. The Care Bears have more intimidating villains that Snugglythulumon now!

And the worst part is that he can't get his villain cred boosted by killing a prominent character because Mookie admitted during Maltak that he couldn't bear to kill any of them! And no, it's not the mark of a great or brave writer to kill off your prominent characters! What killing off your prominent characters (or any!) is is demonstrating a willingness to sacrifice someone you may have grown fond of while writing about them in order to make a point.

The faecal matter has hit the fan; this is not what you think; anyone can die. You kill characters off for a reason. Incoming SPOILERS: when Ned Stark died at the end of Bk I of ASoIaF it was shocking because he was set up as the main character, and a significant portion of the book was told from his POV. When he died we knew anyone could die. When he died we knew just how dangerous and corrupt the world was for certain, that even genuinely honourable people would be killed for no other purpose than to remove an obstacle from a course of action. We'd connected to him emotionally so when he died it was momentous because he was the main character! You don't kill your main character!

Sometimes you kill someone off because it makes sense from a thematic point of view; or because it adds punch to a scene. Sometimes you can kill someone off for no reason at all and have it work. Sometimes it's an integral plot twist, like with Dumbledore.

Avoiding killing characters when every literary skill you possess is screaming at you to do it (like with Luna in Maltak) because it completes an arc/theme/etc. is foolish. How many authors have mentioned that sometimes they find characters saying/doing/etc. different things than they'd expected, but they kept those unintended actions because it felt right for the character?

What? That makes no sense. You convinced yourself you were a freakish abomination of nature? Then why didn't you just convince yourself you had the very powers needed to end this thing once and for all rather than sending it running scared to another place! Especially when it thinks you embody one of the few things that can actually harm it! It'll just come back stronger and more powerful than before!

And why can the Dominus force himself to be a human-Destroyer hybrid when Snugglythulumon said no human mind could bear the strain? Why is he so special? Aside from being the Dominus of course. And that's not even misreading the comic. The DOminus literally assumed the role of the Destroyer in some fashion. So why didn't he attack Snugglythulumon right then and there if your mind makes it real? Why not summon up more of those Destroyers if Snugglythulumon is so scared of them? After all, your mind makes it real.

This just further proves the Dominus is enabling all these villains and evil things in order to make people worship him! He could have just imagined a completely unbreakable prison for Snugglythulumon and there! Eldritch abomination contained for all of time.

Remember when we first met Snugglythulumon? He was cool, mysterious and gave TIM all these awesome powers. And in 2011 he can be destroyed by a bad costume and having a high Bluff roll. And back then he was created from the refuse of the universe. And we know just fine from Symphony of Destruction he can live in the Plane of Destruction. Yet his kryptonite is teddy bears and lobsters. Even though the Destroyer didn't really do much to harm Snugglythulumon given it only took a few in-universe days for it to completely heal itself and learn new tricks. And the Destroyer was simply titanic whereas the Dominus is maybe one-fifth the size Snugglythulumon is. And where did our adorable abomination's armour go?

Remember how Mookie often announces he gives panels on create unique heroes and memorable villains? If he's good enough to keep being requested to give that panel at various conventions, how come he can't apply his advice to his own work?

Look, either swear or don't. No stupid puns. And yes, while it's nice to see the plot points from the various chapters called The Beast brought up, it would have been nice to see it brought up before the Dominus' latest encounter with Snugglythulumon so this doesn't seem like Mookie's trying to save his own bacon here. Don't worry, it's vegan bacon! No wait, worry, it's vegan bacon!

P. 5 and 7 are both SGTF Lunas, and what do you mean 'what if you've become linked to the Beast'. He is because he's had direct contact with him. Like Venus and Tim.

Huh, the Dominus likes his surges to be temporary . . .in bed! Oh come on. That's all I could think of that wasn't rehashing things over and over again. If it weren't for the different clothes I think I'd even accuse geeking out!Dominus and Luna of being copy pasted from . . . something during the Holiday Arc plot.

Oh look, irony. Shame it was expected from the moment you said 2weaker than we thought". Don't you know never to say such a thing unless the enemy is completely, totally defeated? And why do you put quote marks around "Murray"? It's a nickname. I don't go around saying/writing 'I was talking to my friends 'Thu', 'Moonie', 'DeeRee', 'Cassie darling', 'Ku', 'Archie' and [stuff]'.

You want to know the etymology of the word 'nickname'? Tough, you're getting it anyway! It used to be 'an eke name' (lit: 'an also name', so meant 'also named'), but due to hypecorrection and reanalysis it became 'a nickname'. If you introduce someone in full it would be Jane 'Corpsey' Doe. Or Jane Doe, also called Corpsey.

And yeah, poor Murray. Got murderlised. And that's terrible. And also the only reason the Dominus was able to defeat Snugglythulumon. On the plus side, a fairly cool character was killed, so +1 Villain points. And another +1 for being able to hide so effectively not even two of the most powerful magic users in the universe could detect him.

And it was foreshadowed almost exactly a year ago too! +2 Writing Points to Mookie for fairly effective and subtle foreshadowing. -2 Writing Points for terrible pacing, because that means either this past year's work of comics only covered about one or two weeks in-universe or the various non-Beast arcs are scattered all over the timeline.

Maybe some is ripping wonky holes in the fabric of space and time.

More proof that Mookie's a fairly good artist when it comes to non-humanoid beings. More world building and hints at a painful mind meld in the future to fulfil bureaucratic needs. This comic needs more Masutel. It's got good detailing and is an imposing design, fairly powerful, not not too much (third rank).

Damn it, I saw [URL="http://www.dominic-deegan.com/view.php?date=2011-04-08"]this strip[/quote] I went awwwwww. Look at Snugglythulumon in a sulk. Isn't he precious. And yay, way to go and re-nerf your ultimate villain by having a circle of archmages dismiss outright that something that killed the most powerful magic user in the universe isn't a threat. Because it's impossible to rebuild your strength after having exhausted it.

Which is clearly what Mookie's implying in his {{Newspost}} because he's too inept to demonstrate it in p. 8 at all, and needs to punch home the 'irony' in p. 7.

Yeah, yeah, humans with their petty emotion-clouded brains. Also, Snugglythulumon's going to throw an epic temper tantrum. Time to sweet out the Naughty Corner and take away someone's dessert. This is also failed parallelism. If you want to experiment with comic layout experiment. Do something like what Rich Burlew did during one of the comics just as the Siege of Azure City began. Have two vertical strips and continue the parallel plots like that.

I know that half-face from somewhere. Hated orcs. Was a noble wasn't he? Time to go hunt down that chapter where Siggy died. Oh no. I have this horrible feeling that it might be the king. Can't say why, but I have this horrible feeling.
    And look, there are repercussions to fighting an eldritch abomination. Also clairaudience is a stupid word.

Cool. Some human disintegrated the Dominus' mental projection, by this logic he should be mentally disabled now. But then the fridge logic sets in: how can an eldritch abomination beyond human ken not harm the Dominus, but a human can?

Oh look, physically disabled 'hero' gets to face a physically disabled king. I'm so calling Fisher King on this. Consorts with an eldritch abomination with massive eyes, rules a country rife with corruption, racism, and most negative -isms. And this king was the entire reason humans were permitted to join the Circle of Archmages. Meaning that not only can this guy can not only hunt down the Dominus by handing out a description to his men (because remember, you don't have disabilities on the psychoplanes!), but also chase him down magically and, I don't know, rip his soul out of his body and bind it to a fish before it's fed to Sparks.

And he's called King David. You know you thought of this King David when you first heard this. Somewhat amusingly, in Welsh 'David' means 'shining' and in Hebrew means 'beloved'. And one of the reasons why David is so famous? A puny human slew a giant. Just like a puny human was so powerful he forced a group of space whale aliens to admit humans into their club. So why those cloaking spells would work I don't know.

On the plus side, at least Mama Machina acknowledge that the political implications were nasty. Oooh, a Vitae! Those are fun. Moreso in Old English.

Talk about a package, it nearly rivals Jareth's. Also, bit of a perfect guy much? Rags to riches scenario, was elected to kingship like Amidala, a blind king like John of Bohemia (John/Johann; I'm starting to get suspicious), created an elite order of magic wielding knights (Jedi . . . ) and a blind seer/magician like Tiresias.

TThe Hunt for the Rogue Seer. Yay? Maybe.

Unwanted image: the Dominus has a domination kink. And seriously. Quilt, the idiot is going to assist tracking down the Champion of Chaos and Herald of Snugglythulumon. QUILT? I don't know if the comic' reached a new low, or if this turn of events will inject some life into the comic. From a flesh golem. Ugh.

Also Quiltlock doesn't have the cheekbones to be Sherlock.

This is still terrifying.

Overall thoughts?

LobsterDom. It is a thing that exists. Interesting twist having the Unseen King of Callan be allied with Snugglythulumon though. And the power level of Snugglythulumon is as erratic as a drunken Scotsman in a speedboat trying to run an obstacle course.

Nice character designs though.

And I think I was expecting too much when I thought naming a chapter of a book Revelation would contain even a slight reference to the Book of Revelation.
    Next up:

*Ages as defined by Trazoi here. Remember, all dates use the dd/mm/yyyy format!
    **Avvie designed by ninja_penguin, many thanks for letting me use it.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2013-06-01 at 03:33 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Colossus in the Playground

Lobstercop

does he do so?

No.

It made less sense before we knew snuggly was a pair of eyes blasted by the heart of magic and gaining sentience on their own somehow. I mean come on, how tough can a pair of talking eyes and pasta really be? Also, the existence of destroyers creates such interesting possibilities that are never followed through on, as well as making ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE! Ok, so creating things summons the destroyers right? Thats because this is the plane of destruction and things arent made here, they are destroyed, right? So why the hell dont they swarm dominic as soon as he appears there? he is something that doesnt belong and isnt being destroyed!

Another thing, this would also imply that other planes would also have guardians of their own to whip your butt if you do something anathema to that area. Starting a fire in the plane of water would cause issues, using chaos magic in the plane of order, etc etc etc. This was an interesting bit of potential never explored, which sucks because this was during the time when dom was explicitly searching the various planes hunting for snuggly! If mookie had created an INTELLIGENT hero, that could have made for an interesting set of arcs as dom struggles to stop Snuggly's plans by using the automatic defenses of the planes against him.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Let's be fair to the word clairaudience - it's been in use for over 150 years to describe sound-based precognition.

And oh, I look forward to seeing your reaction to how some of these plot points wind up being revealed. The reveals are stupider than you could ever imagine.

Yeah, that thing on facebook... well, academia free of actual scholarship and peer review seems typical of the guy's "university", which was founded by a now-dead televangelist who blamed 9/11 on America's tolerance of the feminists and gays.

By the way, Curly, should we ever wind up at a conference together I'd like to treat you to a drink.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

8. - Top - End - #128

Let's be fair to the word clairaudience - it's been in use for over 150 years to describe sound-based precognition.
    Still sounds stupid. While both clairvoyance and clairaudience have French origins, 'clairaudience' sounds made-up even though it's clearly coined in the fashion of 'clairvoyance'. The joys of historical linguistics and etymology.

And oh, I look forward to seeing your reaction to how some of these plot points wind up being revealed. The reveals are stupider than you could ever imagine.
    But I saw Maltak. I saw the formation of Facebath. I've seen what happened to Siggy. What could be stupider than SuperGreg?

Yeah, that thing on facebook... well, academia free of actual scholarship and peer review seems typical of the guy's "university", which was founded by a now-dead televangelist who blamed 9/11 on America's tolerance of the feminists and gays.
    . . . That's an accepted university? For serials? I don't think any university in the UK is like that. That said, I have lived a relatively naive life, so there might be some unis in this country with . . . less than dubious accreditations. The joys of accidental elitism.

Still, it's probably wrong of me to look forward to him attending a standard university and trying that kind of thing there without backing of his reasoning in some fashion.

By the way, Curly, should we ever wind up at a conference together I'd like to treat you to a drink.
    Well, I've just finished applying to some Master's programmes after a mostly year trying to earn money for said programme; and MAs can allow for grants for conferences abroad. Stupid ocean. Stupid finances. Stupid everything.

Everything always seems simultaneously so much stupider and smarter after a stint at this webcomic.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Lobstercop

does he do so?

No.

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    The sad thing is, by the end of the comic, Snuggly has been proven to be stupid enough to fall for that, if only because he failed to kill someone in his grasp as he wasted time monologing and thus allowed someone to intercede, something like 4 times! In under an hour!
    Guuuuuys don't spoiler for Curly.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Well genitals are quite funny. So's sex. That or disgusting.
    True that.

Oh now I'm intrigued and wanting to read more. That said, I am a whole ten days into the next arc so . . . welp.
    It will take quite a while till you get those. I wonder if you get Mookie's intentions on some of his plot twists. It takes a bit till it is revealed in the comic and newsposts.

Good evening ladies and gentlemen, help yourself to some popcorn, and welcome to the next episode of
    Analysing Dominus Deegan
    To sum up the arc: Dominic defeats an eldritch abomination by method acting. Another of my favourites because of the sheer insanity of the concepts. It makes a certain amount of sense if you remember that Mookie started studies of acting before changing to an English major.

I enjoy these reviews. I know how this is ending and I'm curious how your reviews and insights will develop, and how they might differ from mine from back then.

But I saw Maltak. I saw the formation of Facebath. I've seen what happened to Siggy. What could be stupider than SuperGreg?
    oh, you will see

Last edited by Welf; 2013-06-01 at 06:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

So, Curly, you gonna do anything with that Mr. Scruffy Doll image?

11. - Top - End - #131

GnomeWizardGuy

I'd better get some popcorn for these.

(Really enjoying your analyses Curly).

12. - Top - End - #132
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Seconding the popcorn idea (thirding? fourthing?). I'll bring Malomars and Yorkies too.

This is gonna be good! Glad to see you back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl
    But I saw Maltak. I saw the formation of Facebath. I've seen
    what happened to Siggy. What could be stupider than SuperGreg?
    Why would you ask this. Surely you already know the answer?

14. - Top - End - #134

I'm still alive, although busy! Thanks for your oeuvre, Curly

From Eliot's Marina:

Spoiler
    Show

One of the few happy things ever written by a poet known for his introspectively depressive production.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

So, the legacy of the snark lives on?

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    So far, and for some time yet...

But with strange aeons, even snark may die.
    Not a robot

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Now that Curly reviews are back? Of course!

Knowing what arcs come next, I think we are all eagerly waiting to see how many ways will Curly find to say "WTF?!"

18. - Top - End - #138

True that.
    Never really understood the fascination behind it.

It will take quite a while till you get those. I wonder if you get Mookie's intentions on some of his plot twists. It takes a bit till it is revealed in the comic and newsposts.
    I don't think I ever mentioned how much I hate the {{Newsposts}} have I? That he uses them to reveal plot twists/elements that should be have been made obvious in the text itself ruins the idea that a work should be able to stand on its own without any input from an author needed. Perhaps we should coin the Zombie of the Author theory.

I don't really object to the linking of previous comics in the {{Newspost}} to provide additional information/prove it was foreshadowed except when the information in those links is spurious to the comic in question.

To sum up the arc: Dominic defeats an eldritch abomination by method acting. Another of my favourites because of the sheer insanity of the concepts. It makes a certain amount of sense if you remember that Mookie started studies of acting before changing to an English major.
    And I still don't know how the method acting worked, but I don't think anyone here does? The arc certainly was insane, and more 'enjoyable' than the previous arcs, with an interesting twist.

I enjoy these reviews. I know how this is ending and I'm curious how your reviews and insights will develop, and how they might differ from mine from back then.
    Popcorn? I take it you and everyone else will have the usual sadistic enjoyment of my analyses.

oh, you will see

I knew that would be a useful panel. It's amazing how much more sinister it looks on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    So, Curly, you gonna do anything with that Mr. Scruffy Doll image?
    No idea. Resort to cuddling it mid-review if something is so . . . so . . . awful I need some comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    I'd better get some popcorn for these.

(Really enjoying your analyses Curly).
    Enjoying doing them again. I kind of burnt out Dominic Deegan and switched to Doctor Who. You have no idea how much more fun and amazing and wonderful Doctor Who reviewing was after DD.
    Now the burn out from that combined with a few other things means reviewing something so . . . so whatever this comic is is kind of a relief. Plus I've attained some of that naive innocence I used to have towards this comic once.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjadeadbeard View Post
    Seconding the popcorn idea (thirding? fourthing?). I'll bring Malomars and Yorkies too.

This is gonna be good! Glad to see you back.
    Malomars?
    And yeah, good to be back, although a little more worried now I've been assured it gets worse.

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Why would you ask this. Surely you already know the answer?
    I reviewed Doctor Who during my absences and even in episodes I don't really like there's so much genuinely good stuff that things like plot (and plot holes)and other flaws get something of a hand wave. Not that I didn't happily point out the flaws and all, but even the episodes and people I hate are far better than anything here. Mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I'm still alive, although busy! Thanks for your oeuvre, Curly

From Eliot's Marina:

Spoiler
    Show

One of the few happy things ever written by a poet known for his introspectively depressive production.
    That's amazing. It even seems somewhat natural.

Yep. And just now when trying to think of a word for the precise amalgamation of lunacy, idiocy, stupidity and general whatness of this comic I realised something.

"It is shap'd, sir, like itself, and it is as poorly drawn as it is drawn; it is just as dull as it is dull, and it is as poorly paced as it is paced. Its characterisation exists to ruin characterisation, and the idiocy, once out of it, it transmigrates to idiocy."
    "How stupid of it?"
    "Of its own stupidity too."
    "'Tis a strange comic."
    "'Tis so. And the dialogue of it is words." (Anthony and Cleopatra, II, vii, l. 45 - 53)

There's an idea, review a chapter (as defined by the archive) using only quotations from plays.
    >.>
    That could be fun, if imminently frustrating.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Malomars?
    And yeah, good to be back, although a little more worried now I've been assured it gets worse.
    It's like a smore cookie. Graham Crackers covered in marshmallows and chocolate. I've never actually had one, but they look good, and are apparently a favorite of Colonel Gentleman, so they can't be all bad, right?
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjadeadbeard View Post
    It's like a smore cookie. Graham Crackers covered in marshmallows and chocolate. I've never actually had one, but they look good, and are apparently a favorite of Colonel Gentleman, so they can't be all bad, right?
    Those does sound yummy, I must admit.

ION:
    Work has begun on The Thirty-Fifth Parte of Dominicke Ye Mercenary Oracle: Ye Search For Celesto, A Most Lamentable Tragedy.

'Tis a work in progress.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Those does sound yummy, I must admit.

ION:
    Work has begun on The Thirty-Fifth Parte of Dominicke Ye Mercenary Oracle: Ye Search For Celesto, A Most Lamentable Comedie.

'Tis a work in progress.
    Fixed that for you.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Like Romeo and Juliet, it is a comedy that becomes a tragedy. The first comic in the chapter cleverly shows a comedic face/mask inverting into a tragic one.

There is no way Mookie intended that.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2013-06-02 at 09:00 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Maybe. It depends on the tone this sub-chapter takes before I pick out a proper title. I'm going to use the style you see on the frontispieces for the folio/quarto editions of the plays, so fantastically long. There's even going to be a 'Containing Thereinn'.
    I'm actually thinking of calling it 'An Unpleasaunte, Conceited Play, Called [etc.]' before reeling off a list of things that happen in it, a la the history plays. Plus then all the literary nerds can giggle over the two definitions of 'conceit' wrapped up in the title. A far better pun than anything Mookie's ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Like Romeo and Juliet, it is a comedy that becomes a tragedy. The first comic in the chapter cleverly shows a comedic face/mask inverting into a tragic one.

There is no way Mookie intended that.
    Of course it wasn't intended. How dare you suggest Mookie puts actual symbolic thought into what he draws. Or need we bring up The Oracle Hunter incident again?

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

I still maintain that Gerald was the last good character Mookie created.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

How dare you suggest Mookie puts actual symbolic thought into what he draws. Or need we bring up The Oracle Hunter incident again?
    That image gets worse every time I see it. Horrible symbolism and eye-gouging outfit aside, it's like Mookie has literally never seen another human being standing upright before.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kwatsu View Post
    That image gets worse every time I see it. Horrible symbolism and eye-gouging outfit aside, it's like Mookie has literally never seen another human being standing upright before.
    You mean the Dominus isn't just failing to do the splits?
    Not a robot

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doompuppy View Post
    You mean the Dominus isn't just failing to do the splits?
    I think someone suggested that he drew Dominic using a poseable action figure as a reference. It actually looks more like he intended Dom to resemble an action figure and completely overdid it. Those legs bear no relation to human anatomy. Or space-time as we know it.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Never really understood the fascination behind it.
    I think it's because humour often works by breaking rules, and doing the unexpected. I understand rules very wide in this. Not only laws, but also social norms, or guidelines. And since sex is such an important thing, we have a lot of rules about it. Also, we can connect to it. We all have genitals, so we can instantly connect to a situation that revolves around them.

I don't think I ever mentioned how much I hate the {{Newsposts}} have I? That he uses them to reveal plot twists/elements that should be have been made obvious in the text itself ruins the idea that a work should be able to stand on its own without any input from an author needed. Perhaps we should coin the Zombie of the Author theory.

I don't really object to the linking of previous comics in the {{Newspost}} to provide additional information/prove it was foreshadowed except when the information in those links is spurious to the comic in question.
    See it as service to the fans and snarkers alike. It saves time for the snarkers since they got told what is wrong with the comic, and the fans like it if they are told what to think.

And I still don't know how the method acting worked, but I don't think anyone here does? The arc certainly was insane, and more 'enjoyable' than the previous arcs, with an interesting twist.
    My theory: on the metaphysical plane the outside appearance is determined by the character; so if someone changes their own character, they change their appearance.

Popcorn? I take it you and everyone else will have the usual sadistic enjoyment of my analyses.
    Yes, yes, I will. But I will eat sandwich, not popcorn. I like to eat a little dinner when I see a good show on my computer.

I knew that would be a useful panel. It's amazing how much more sinister it looks on its own.
    I quickly made that from a slay I made back then. I can't wait to recycle those when you have reviewed the next arc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

29. - Top - End - #149

I think it's because humour often works by breaking rules, and doing the unexpected. I understand rules very wide in this. Not only laws, but also social norms, or guidelines. And since sex is such an important thing, we have a lot of rules about it. Also, we can connect to it. We all have genitals, so we can instantly connect to a situation that revolves around them.
    Ah. Sociological and cultural taboos. Always good for humour.

See it as service to the fans and snarkers alike. It saves time for the snarkers since they got told what is wrong with the comic, and the fans like it if they are told what to think.
    Readers: Hey, that was a pretty good comic, in fact I thi -
    Mookie: Guess what! I'm going to ruin this cool twist right now by showing you just how it ruins previously established rules, plot and/or characterisation!
    Fans: Wow!
    Snarkers: Dammit Mookie!

My theory: on the metaphysical plane the outside appearance is determined by the character; so if someone changes their own character, they change their appearance.
    So what part of the DOminus' character was amputated in less than an in-comic week?

Yes, yes, I will. But I will eat sandwich, not popcorn. I like to eat a little dinner when I see a good show on my computer.
    Dinner and a show. Next review will be heavy on the show, less on the review.

I quickly made that from a slay I made back then. I can't wait to recycle those when you have reviewed the next arc.
    Well I've only got a week of the sub-chapter left to go.
    . . .
    Long process is long. And probably not very good. But I got to reread some things I liked.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

30. - Top - End - #150

OldWizardGuy

Good luck.
    The last year of DD was very much the worst. Even worse than Maltak, and that's an industrial standard for suckitude.
    "You want to see how a Human dies? at ramming speed."