New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXIII

A 403

The unstated part of Skill Knowledge is "... for all your classes". Otherwise, there would be no point of the first option of the feat (choosing skills which are already class skills).

Note that Skill Knowledge is in the "Alternative Skill Systems" part of Unearthed Arcana, so I suggest you ask your DM before assuming the feat is available in your campaign.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 403

The unstated part of Skill Knowledge is "... for all your classes". Otherwise, there would be no point of the first option of the feat (choosing skills which are already class skills).

Note that Skill Knowledge is in the "Alternative Skill Systems" part of Unearthed Arcana, so I suggest you ask your DM before assuming the feat is available in your campaign.
    A 403 discussion

Hmm, does the Feat require to use the alternative skill system?

3. - Top - End - #813
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q404
    Telekinetic Boomerang (Power)
    Can i make 2 itterative attacks with 1 throwing weapon?
    Beware my incredibly noobish questions!

4. - Top - End - #814
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 403 discussion
    Quote Originally Posted by Gargravarr View Post
    Hmm, does the Feat require to use the alternative skill system?
    That's up to your individual DM to decide. That is, the feat isn't available anywhere else in the rules, so your DM can decide that no part of the alternative skill section is available in their campaign.

A 404 Yes.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-07-09 at 05:57 AM.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q405: The feat Force of Will contains the following text:

Quote Originally Posted by XPH, pg 46
    The benefit of this feat only applies to psionic powers and psi-like abilities. This is an exception to the psionics-magic transparency rule (see page 55).
    Is there any way to circumvent that limitation, thus allowing one to use the benefit of this feat against spells, supernatural abilities, etc.? The first thing that springs to mind is the Magic Mantle:

Quote Originally Posted by Complete Psionic, pg 70
    In addition, you always treat magic and psionics as identical...Most campaigns already treat them in this manner...
    Does the quoted text mean that Magic Mantle simply allows you to play with psionics-magic transparency, and thus the limitation of the feat still applies? Or does making magic and psionics "identical" allow me to supersede the stated limitation of the feat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

6. - Top - End - #816
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q399Is there any way to break the cl cap of any spell?
    Actually this question is pretty meaningless. Spells do not have a Caster Level cap, they merely have points at which an increase in caster level has no additional effect on certain factors of the spell.
    For example a Caster Level 30 fireball may still only do 10d6 damage, but it is much more likely to go through low Spell Resitance and has a longer range than a CL5 fireball.

If you want to do more damage with the spell then the Epic metamagic feat Enhance Spell adds 10 to the dice cap.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2013-07-09 at 06:23 AM.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Titan in the Playground

Q 406

Where specifically in the rules (SRD quote or page reference please) does it state that a creature with a non-ability of Intelligence, or a score below 3, cannot be a player character?

8. - Top - End - #818
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 406 Player's Handbook, page 11.

In the RACIAL CHARACTERISTICS section:
    ABILITY ADJUSTMENTS
    Find your character’s race on Table 2–1: Racial Ability Adjustments (see the next page) and apply the adjustments you see there to your character’s ability scores. If these changes put your score above 18 or below 3, that’s okay, except in the case of Intelligence, which does not go below 3 for characters. (If your half-orc character would have an adjusted Intelligence of 1 or 2, make it 3 instead.)
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-07-09 at 11:41 AM.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ettin in the Playground

A 406 Addendum

I'm pretty sure that any creature or template with INT - also has Level Adjustment - , which makes it ineligible for PCs.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ogre in the Playground

A 406, additional

The Dungeon Master's Guide notes in its section on Monsters as Races (p. 172, with corresponding rules in the SRD here, though the language is different):
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG, p. 172
    While every monster in the Monster Manual has the statistics that a player would need to play the creature as a character, most monsters are not suitable as PCs. The following table lists monsters that are easy, difficult, and very difficult to incorporate into a campaign as PCs. Use these lists as guidelines, but don't allow players to play creatures who have an Intelligence score of 2 or lower, who have no way to communicate, or who are so different from other PCs that they disrupt the campaign.
    (Emphasis mine)

The DMG rules on for Monsters as Races also includes a section on Ability Scores for Monster PCs, which states:
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG, p. 172, Ability Scores for Monster PCs
    The separate table for Intelligence ensures that no PC ends up with an Intelligence score lower than 3. This is important, because creatures with an Intelligence score lower than 3 are not playable.
    (Emphasis mine)
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-07-09 at 12:00 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ettin in the Playground

Since INT is measured in integers, "2 or lower" and "lower than 3" is the same thing.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Since INT is measured in integers, "2 or lower" and "lower than 3" is the same thing.
    I am aware; I provided both citations because they are both pertinent and because the SRD's corresponding rules for the first citation make it a recommendation rather than a rule, whereas the second section is a rule in both the DMG and the SRD.
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-07-09 at 12:43 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

13. - Top - End - #823

Q407

What are the base prices for the Hidden Spaces from Table 5–1: Hidden Spaces in Complete Scoundrel on page 109?

14. - Top - End - #824
    Troll in the Playground

A 407

The price depends on the Type of hidden space. See pg 108 for the types of hidden spaces. The table just provides rules for the size of the space.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

15. - Top - End - #825
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 408

If you have both cleave and knockdown, if you deal 10 points of damage to an enemy and you succeed in tripping them, does that activate a cleave? Cleave contains the following: "(typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it)", which I assume means there are ways besides dropping them to 0 or killing them, such as knockdown, right?
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

16. - Top - End - #826

Q409

Can a Scroll with a 9th level spell be folded up and hidden in a Hollow Boot Heel (CS108)?

17. - Top - End - #827
    Troll in the Playground

A 409

Yes, if the boot was made for a creature large or larger.

The object has to be four sizes smaller than the creature the boot was made for and a scroll is listed as diminutive on pg 166 in the PHB.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-07-09 at 03:39 PM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 410

Does the Pectoral of Maneuverability stack with Wings of Air?

Q 411

The spell Greater Wings of Air has been reduced from Level 5 to Level 4 in the SpC. Does that affect the cost of the Greater Pectoral of Maneuverability?

Q 412

a) Are there any non-exotic two-handed weapons that deal piercing damage and have a threat range of at least 19-20?

b) How about exotic ones?

19. - Top - End - #829
    Bugbear in the Playground

A 408

No, as Knock-Down merely allows you to make a free trip attack. Cleave requires that you drop the opponent as a result of the damage.

On a RAI note, Cleave is a face-palmingly worded feat. I believe the intention is that "drop" is being used in the euphemistic sense; you need to kill or disable the enemy to get the free attack. I'm not sure, though.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Troll in the Playground

A 410

Yes, there bonus type or weird wording to prevent it.

A 411

No.

Edit:
    A 412

don't know about non-exotics but I have the lynxpaw and elven courtblade from races of the wild with 18-20 ranges.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-07-09 at 05:05 PM.

Current avatar by me

21. - Top - End - #831
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Q 413

A: If a spell has a range of "Touch" and the caster uses it on himself, does he need to touch himself?

B: Same question but with regard to Lay on Hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

22. - Top - End - #832

Q414

Are Gauntlets enchanted separately or as a pair?

Q415

Does the above hold true for non-magical augmentations and Weapon Augment Crystals as well?
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2013-07-09 at 09:44 PM.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 406 Addendum

I'm pretty sure that any creature or template with INT - also has Level Adjustment - , which makes it ineligible for PCs.
    A 406 Addendum

The Hairy Spider, a "monster" from the Forgotten Realms book Monsters of Faerun, received an update in the Player's Guide to Faerun which gave this Mindless a LA of +0 (in which was likelyalmost certainly an error).

24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 413 A Yes.
    Touch

You must touch a creature or object to affect it.
    A 413 B Yes.
    Lay on Hands (Su)

Beginning at 2nd level, a paladin with a Charisma score of 12 or higher can heal wounds (her own or those of others) by touch.
    No exceptions are made for the originator of either effect.

A 414 Separately.
    Gauntlet

This metal glove lets you deal lethal damage rather than nonlethal damage with unarmed strikes. A strike with a gauntlet is otherwise considered an unarmed attack. The cost and weight given are for a single gauntlet.
    Each gauntlet is an individual weapon, and need not match the properties of another gauntlet used by the same character.

A 415 Yes.

Weapons are always priced and enhanced separately. Only gloves and gauntlets which are not weapons (are wondrous items or armor instead) are priced as a pair.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 416

Is the "target’s modifiers on saves against fear" referenced in the Intimidate skill
    a) the modifier to saving throws that applies only to fear effects (e.g. the +2 morale bonus from Inpsire Courage)
    or
    b) The modifier to the D20 the target gets vs fear effects i.e. base will save+WIS+misc. modifiers+modifiers applying only to fear effects?

26. - Top - End - #836
    Titan in the Playground

Q 417

What creatures types (Aberration, Humanoid, Outsider etc.) are not subject to aging and/or death by reaching maximum age?

27. - Top - End - #837
    Troll in the Playground

A 417

No creature type is inherently immune to aging.

For example, even though i can't think of an undead that ages the undead type doesn't grant immunity to age.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-07-10 at 03:12 AM.

Current avatar by me

28. - Top - End - #838

RogueGuy

Q 418

Do PrCs that advance divine spellcasting levels also advance the Dragonfire Adept?

The bit on PrCs states this:

Dragonfire adepts benefit in a specific way from prestige classes that have a level advancement benefit of “+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class” or “+1 level of existing spellcasting class.” A dragonfire adept taking levels in such a prestige class does not gain any other benefits of that level increase, but she does gain an increased caster level when using her invocations and increased damage with her breath weapon. Levels of prestige classes that provide +1 level of spellcasting effectively stack with the dragonfire adept’s level to determine her breath weapon damage and save DC. She also gains new invocations at each prestige class level as though she had risen a level in the dragonfire adept class.
    So advancing divine levels is good too?

29. - Top - End - #839
    Titan in the Playground

A 418:

No. Some prestige classes (such as Loremaster) can advance any spellcasting class, regardless of whether it's arcane or divine. Others can advance any arcane class. Prestige classes of either of these types can be used to advance Dragonfire Adept or Warlock. Other prestige classes, however, can only be used to advance divine spellcasting classes, and these do not work with DFA nor Warlock.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

30. - Top - End - #840

RogueGuy

^^Thanks.

Q 419
    Can a Human Dread Necromancer heal himself with Charnel Touch when using the Tomb-Tainted Soul Feat?

Tomb-Tainted Soul
    You are healed by negative energy and harmed by positive energy as if you were an undead creature. This feat gives no other penalties or benefi ts of the undead type.
    I'm confused because Charnel Touch states:

Charnel Touch (Su): Negative energy flows through a dread necromancer's body, concentrating in her hands. At will, but no more than once per round, she can make a melee touch attack against a living foe that deals 1d8 points of damage, +1 per four class levels. This touch heals undead creatures, restoring 1 hit point per touch, +1 per four class levels. A dread necromancer can use the spectral hand spell to deliver this attack from a distance.
    Surely he could touch himself to heal?

"This touch heals undead creatures..." would also indicate that it could be used to heal undead allies, no?
    Last edited by Gargravarr; 2013-07-10 at 06:32 AM.