New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [BitPR2] Renewed Revolution: Spirit World II

Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Las Noches
    District 8

Arianna had been listening carefully to the conversation as she followed Jehoel and Setsurou through the city, taking in all of the sights that she could. She knew that Washi no Tsume was watching everything as well. Which would make reviewing all of this later much easier.

When Jehoel addresses her, Arianna turns her golden eyes to him and considers it for a moment before answering.

At the moment, I do not. Setsurou was the one chosen to be the diplomat here, not myself. And so far, anything I have thought of, he has said or asked first, and more.

Her tone is polite.
    Las Noches
    District 8

Jehoel shrugs.

"Very well. Do not hesitate to speak should you desire to do so; there will be no repercussions."

As he says this, the group passes into the next district.

"District 7. The Grand Arena."

The District, unsurprisingly, is dominated by a very large arena that is visible off to the right. Surrounding it are smaller arenas, as well as various rest buildings and practice fields. Nearby, a group of Arrancar are visible playing what appears to be a three dimensional variant of soccer on a large field.

"The spectacles of the district are not limited to combat. As you can see, sports and other forms of physical display are also practiced here."
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Orc in the Playground

"Jehoel, forgive me for the bluntness, but this isn't an outcome that's going to come around on our saying-so. You don't deaden centuries of hostility with a piece of paper.

Our acceptance of your offer relies significantly on your word that you will not attack us, cross your heart and hope to die. I'm sure you see the issue here. We need some form of guarantee. Would you not ask the same were our roles reversed?

Point by point, I beg to differ.

First, rather than exacerbate our stance as enemies, a form of bloodless sport would drive home the point that we are no longer allowed to kill each other. It would be a contest of strength and determination first and foremost. Done enough times, one might begin to ask the question: 'why are we doing this?' because they would no longer recall the times whence we thoughtlessly killed each other.

Second, you're correct in that the respective leaderships of both organizations would be counted out. But while Shinigami do possess a greater array of nonlethal powers, it could be said this is as much a test of your ability to restrain yourselves as well. Can you fight not to kill? This is an ability that would most definitely come to the fore in the inevitable skirmishes following the truce. You know as well as I do: both our sides are going to try and get around a peace treaty on technicalities - and I mean this in the nicest possible way. If we want peace to reign, we have to make sure BOTH of us can fight to incapacitate rather than kill."

Setsurou knew he was threading on rather thin ice with this argument, but he didn't expect Jehoel to lose his temper over it - that would be too easy.

"As for the third: that ship has sailed. As it is, the leadership of Seireitei is already being questioned just for entertaining the idea of saying yes. And you knew that would happen the instant you set foot in Soul Society. If we lose, what WE gain is a very permanent 'shut up' to our detractors that will keep a riot from breaking out. If you lose, you just have to put up with what WE are going to have to put up with anyway. Both Soul Society and Las Noches would be delayed in the peace effort - but the net deficit is nil.

Unless you're in a hurry to see our two kinds no longer at each other's throats, there is no downside to the idea of the tournament. No reason to reply immediately if you don't want to, of course - we still have other districts to visit, don't we?"
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2013-08-04 at 10:45 PM.
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ettin in the Playground

S.S.I.

A man must do his word diligently, but he must set his priorities.

Koutetsu Hideki's priorities are properly set. And so, he is in the stands for the spectacle arranged by his good friend Takenaka.

He's set a betting pool too. Most people think she is just going to show the final step of mastery, and so, Hideki is quite positive that he is in for a nice bit of change when Chouko gets her brass handed to her on a silver platter.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    (SSI Grounds)

A few tents, including a yakitori stand and an extensive stereo setup, have cropped up in the last few hours in a relatively open space within the SSI grounds.

Chouko herself is sitting behind the DJ booth, waiting for the appointed time for her to start the show. Hopefully, she would not disappoint. But Takenaka Chouko was out to make a point, that as a young genius, she is more suited than any to take charge of the emerging engineering division.

Samson is somehow tending the yakitori stand.
    "The yakitori could have used a bit more red pepper. Or some pepperjack cheese sauce."

Michael Harada is standing to her right, leaning against his walking stick, still wearing his lab coat, while he munches on one of the delectable grilled treats. He seems faintly bemused.

"So who runs the booth while you're actually, you know, fighting a sliver of your own soul?"

Michael's bet to Hideki had been "draw/undecided on the first day". The amount was fairly modest, though.
    Last edited by KnightDisciple; 2013-08-04 at 11:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Orc in the Playground

[Far in the Past - Soul Society]

"There is a difference between a solitary man in a forest and the rest of the world." Momoka looks up to the clear sky. "If you're the outlier, it is only so long before people stop tolerating you."

"I would be a fool to say I can exist entirely without interaction, we are a social species. But society as a whole... It is not somewhere I can stay."

"...Why did you become a shinigami, if you did not wish for it?"
    "Shortest answer? It got people off my back.

Longer answer? I've got ambitions that I can't fulfill as long as the Hollows are in the way. I don't believe in leaving the dirty work to other people, either. So I joined the Gotei. Simple as it gets.

Well, there's also a whole deal with my family being in it for generations. But they all think I'm an incompetent ass, anyway."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

6. - Top - End - #396
    Orc in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    (SSI Grounds)

Chouko eyes Michael, idly adjusting a few dials. "Eh, it's all for show. This stuff is automated. Samson can check it out if it's screwin' up, but I doubt it. I mean, I got most of my music system nonsense from you, remember?" She gives a thumbs up.

By now, a small crowd of SSI members has gathered, mostly those that Chouko was bringing to the Engineering division, and perhaps some aligned with Hideki as well.

Samson looks over at Michael as he mentions a desire for peppers, and procures from nowhere a vial of seasoning with retractable, more flexible arms, shaking it over a fresh batch... and breathing fire over them. Chouko is nonplussed.

"...I didn't even know he could do that. Must be installing things by himself again."

(Far in the Past)

Momoka smirks again, looking back down. "I see. Well, I rather doubt that the hollows will be going anywhere... They strike me as a force of nature, an occurrence that cannot be prevented any more than you can stop the rain. So fighting them... is perhaps folly."

"I do not sympathize with them, do not get me wrong, but it seems to me they simply... are. Perhaps I am incorrect. It's possible, I'm but a citizen of the Rukon, far outer or no. I've not had the misfortune of meeting one of these beasts. But honestly, I am more curious than hateful."
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2013-08-05 at 10:40 AM.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

7. - Top - End - #397
    Orc in the Playground

"Curious? How so?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Soul Society]
    (SSI Grounds)
    Chouko eyes Michael, idly adjusting a few dials. "Eh, it's all for show. This stuff is automated. Samson can check it out if it's screwin' up, but I doubt it. I mean, I got most of my music system nonsense from you, remember?" She gives a thumbs up.

By now, a small crowd of SSI members has gathered, mostly those that Chouko was bringing to the Engineering division, and perhaps some aligned with Hideki as well.

Samson looks over at Michael as he mentions a desire for peppers, and procures from nowhere a vial of seasoning with retractable, more flexible arms, shaking it over a fresh batch... and breathing fire over them. Chouko is nonplussed.

"...I didn't even know he could do that. Must be installing things by himself again."
    Michael shrugged as he finished his current stick.

"You're generally a hands-on sort of DJ, and your hardware's pretty custom. I wasn't sure if you'd tweaked the program to run smoothly with it, though I suppose I shouldn't have doubted that."

He quirks an eyebrow as the robot cat shoots flames from its mouth, before tossing his empty wooden stick into the air...where he hits it with a bolt of Kido lightning, turning it into ash that floats away on the breeze. Probably impromptu target practice.

"Well when you ignore my warning manuals and completely unshackle the AI we worked on together, yes, the robot will upgrade itself. Don't come crying to me if you wake up one day and that cat's given himself the body of a saber-toothed tiger, or some sort of mech suit or something."

9. - Top - End - #399
    Orc in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    (Far in the Past)

"What is there not to be curious about? These creatures forge legends." She tosses the core of her apple to the ground after a few bites, rolling it into the clearing. "Shinigami have the answers, they pass some of what they learn down to us in the Rukon. But can you truly tell me you have all of them?"

"...Consider it my one misgiving with my style of life. There is not much to do in this place, though it may be my place of comfort. So I read. And read. Occasionally, I write. I would not be so crass to consider myself deserving of the title of Scholar, but not for lack of trying."

(SSI Grounds)

Chouko shrugs. "Eh. I'm not worried. He's a good cat." She pauses. "...robot. Thing."

"I mean, is he really a cat if he's predictable?"
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2013-08-05 at 11:50 AM.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

10. - Top - End - #400
    Orc in the Playground

"It's true... you get to learn a lot as a Shinigami. Like I said, we're not all fighters. We've got spies, doctors, and even people who seek out answers. Like you.

Not that they can answer the biggest question out there, though."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #401

Hueco Mundo
    En Route to Las Cuevas de Muerte

Valentina, going just like everyone else, actually agrees with Tinja. "I imagine he's either the strongest or the second-strongest in the group," she reasons. "Either he's the one holding everyone together, or he's a puppet behind someone even stronger."

"However,"
    she objects, "I don't think we need to kill him. I think we should recruit him and his kingdom to Las Noches. That's what Dainichi did with many of Las Espadas." - including Valentina (the weakest Espada) and Jehoel (the strongest Espada), albeit they joined for entirely different reasons. "Unless, of course, you all are afraid he'll take your positions." She taunts everyone.

Still Hueco Mundo
    Las Noches, in a convenient spot for whoever wants to gawk at him. Maybe even the Shinigami, allowing more explanation about the Arrancarification process.

The previously-mentioned Sin Rostro - blank and without personality - is no longer where it was, being terrorized by the more flavored Arrancars.

He's just meandering. Too slow for a pleasant walk.

Eew. Those blank faces are very creepy.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

[Hueco Mundo -- now in the Forest, near Las Cuevas de la Muerte]

"Not particularly.", replies Tinja cheerfully. If he were strong, he would likely challenge one of the top Espada and either win or perish, and if he were weak, he would likely start with Valentina. Not that this particular line of reasoning was ever going to be shared, of course. In any case, Tinja had yet to be defeated in combat since her transformation as an Arrancar. She wasn't particularly worried.

"We could do that if we wished, yes. Although seeing as this kingdom was set up as, presumably, a direct challenge to our authority instead of simply joining us gives me the idea that their leader is either fiercely independent or rather overconfident. Either case leads me to believe that it would be doubtful that he would come over quietly. His followers, of course, we can woo if you want to."

Tinja looks to Alicia, Sonido-ing on her right like a grey ghost.

While I am not familiar with the exact location of this complex, my guesses would place this kingdom of yours....close?"
    Last edited by Demidos; 2013-08-05 at 02:42 PM.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    "It's true... you get to learn a lot as a Shinigami. Like I said, we're not all fighters. We've got spies, doctors, and even people who seek out answers. Like you.

Not that they can answer the biggest question out there, though."
    Momoka laughs. "If I didn't know any better, I would say you were trying to recruit me. Or perhaps you are." She gives a playful smile.

"And what, then, would you say is this biggest question?"
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

14. - Top - End - #404
    Orc in the Playground

"The biggest question, Kobayashi-san, is the one nobody really asks.

What do we live for?

Even the afterlife isn't eternal. True, Pluses live for much longer than humans. Shinigami and other empowered creatures even moreso. But they still die, and join the cycle of reincarnation once again.

Where does what they've done with their lives go?"

A little too deep and depressing for casual conversation, perhaps.

"Not really trying to recruit you. But if you're really looking to learn, few places offer an opportunity as good as Gotei does. It's pretty much the best option I can think of."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #405

"We are about there actually," Alicia replied before stopping her sonido at edge of a colossal chamber like clearing. "It is there," she said pointing at the ten meter tall doors made of bone on the stone wall at the opposite side of the clearing.

"Welcome to Las Cuevas de la Muerte." She studied the reactions of others at the sight, just as she had when Valentina had made her taunt, judging their confidence. She had no particular interest in trying t obecome an Espade herself yet, but judging wether it would be possible in the future correctly could be useful.
    "Best na ta challenge that Delusion" - Durkon in #674

Fairy avatar made by araveugnitsuga.
    Cultist avatar made by Darwin.
    Paladin avatar made by Ceika.

I have started a fantasy webseries about a trans woman wanting to become a paladin:
    http://kirjotusvihe.deviantart.com/gallery/47065120
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Paladin-Story

16. - Top - End - #406

Hueco Mundo
    El Bosque de Menos, in front of Las Cuevas de la Muerte

Valentina raises her eyebrows and gives a low whistle when looking at the door. It's a little too small for most Gillian...and too large to be practical. "I've never understood why such large doors are needed." An open gate would be just as useful - more so, even.

"So, is it unlocked?" La Sexta Espada asks. She already begins debating a plan in her mind.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hueco Mundo

Creon surveys the gate looking for any weak points before giving his opinion in his usual growling tone.

"Should just destroy it with a Cero either way, that way it can serve as a warning to anyone who comes here in the future with the intent of naming themselves king."

18. - Top - End - #408

Spoiler
    Show
    "Jehoel, forgive me for the bluntness, but this isn't an outcome that's going to come around on our saying-so. You don't deaden centuries of hostility with a piece of paper.

Our acceptance of your offer relies significantly on your word that you will not attack us, cross your heart and hope to die. I'm sure you see the issue here. We need some form of guarantee. Would you not ask the same were our roles reversed?

Point by point, I beg to differ.

First, rather than exacerbate our stance as enemies, a form of bloodless sport would drive home the point that we are no longer allowed to kill each other. It would be a contest of strength and determination first and foremost. Done enough times, one might begin to ask the question: 'why are we doing this?' because they would no longer recall the times whence we thoughtlessly killed each other.

Second, you're correct in that the respective leaderships of both organizations would be counted out. But while Shinigami do possess a greater array of nonlethal powers, it could be said this is as much a test of your ability to restrain yourselves as well. Can you fight not to kill? This is an ability that would most definitely come to the fore in the inevitable skirmishes following the truce. You know as well as I do: both our sides are going to try and get around a peace treaty on technicalities - and I mean this in the nicest possible way. If we want peace to reign, we have to make sure BOTH of us can fight to incapacitate rather than kill."

Setsurou knew he was threading on rather thin ice with this argument, but he didn't expect Jehoel to lose his temper over it - that would be too easy.

"As for the third: that ship has sailed. As it is, the leadership of Seireitei is already being questioned just for entertaining the idea of saying yes. And you knew that would happen the instant you set foot in Soul Society. If we lose, what WE gain is a very permanent 'shut up' to our detractors that will keep a riot from breaking out. If you lose, you just have to put up with what WE are going to have to put up with anyway. Both Soul Society and Las Noches would be delayed in the peace effort - but the net deficit is nil.

Unless you're in a hurry to see our two kinds no longer at each other's throats, there is no downside to the idea of the tournament. No reason to reply immediately if you don't want to, of course - we still have other districts to visit, don't we?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Still Hueco Mundo
    Las Noches, in a convenient spot for whoever wants to gawk at him. Maybe even the Shinigami, allowing more explanation about the Arrancarification process.

The previously-mentioned Sin Rostro - blank and without personality - is no longer where it was, being terrorized by the more flavored Arrancars.

He's just meandering. Too slow for a pleasant walk.

Eew. Those blank faces are very creepy.
    [Las Noches]
    District 7

Jehoel chuckles.

"Well spoken, Setsurou. Well spoken indeed. Forgive my previous dismissal, but I wanted to make sure that you had fully thought this plan of yours through first. If it had folded under the simple quibbles I put forth, it would not have been worth bringing before the assembly of Espada. Which it will be. I do not have the authority to veto or approve it on my own. And, of course, this is contingent on the Shinigami accepting my peace offering in the first place which is, I am sure, still up in the air. When I receive the Seireitei's answer, I will have an answer for you, if it is...relevant."

The group, as it walks, passes by a wandering Arrancar, notable for its complete lack of a face. Jehoel points it out to the Shinigami.

"This is a Sin Rostro. The result of a mindless Gillian being put through Arrancarification. Lacking a personality, the resulting humanoid has no base and the result is this. Mindless and without motivation, Sin Rostro simply wander the city. They are too powerful to be easily disposed of, but remain useless nonetheless."

19. - Top - End - #409

Hueco Mundo
    En Route to Las Cuevas de Muerte

Valentina, going just like everyone else, actually agrees with Tinja. "I imagine he's either the strongest or the second-strongest in the group," she reasons. "Either he's the one holding everyone together, or he's a puppet behind someone even stronger."

"However,"
    she objects, "I don't think we need to kill him. I think we should recruit him and his kingdom to Las Noches. That's what Dainichi did with many of Las Espadas." - including Valentina (the weakest Espada) and Jehoel (the strongest Espada), albeit they joined for entirely different reasons. "Unless, of course, you all are afraid he'll take your positions." She taunts everyone.
    Ha! Randii lets out a loud bark of laughter. That's rich! Some guy out in the boondies taking one of our positions? You really think so little of us? Randii's grin shows that she's taunting Valentina right back.

Quote Originally Posted by Delusion View Post

"We are about there actually," Alicia replied before stopping her sonido at edge of a colossal chamber like clearing. "It is there," she said pointing at the ten meter tall doors made of bone on the stone wall at the opposite side of the clearing.

"Welcome to Las Cuevas de la Muerte." She studied the reactions of others at the sight, just as she had when Valentina had made her taunt, judging their confidence. She had no particular interest in trying t obecome an Espade herself yet, but judging wether it would be possible in the future correctly could be useful.
    The colorful Fraccion comes to a stop with the group, hooking her thumbs into the waistband of her loose pants. She looks the doors up and down.

Kudos to the decorator. The bone's a nice touch.

Hueco Mundo

Valentina raises her eyebrows and gives a low whistle when looking at the door. It's a little too small for most Gillian...and too large to be practical. "I've never understood why such large doors are needed." An open gate would be just as useful - more so, even.

"So, is it unlocked?" La Sexta Espada asks. She already begins debating a plan in her mind.
    Randii chuckles. Haven't ya heard? Size matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Hueco Mundo

Creon surveys the gate looking for any weak points before giving his opinion in his usual growling tone.

"Should just destroy it with a Cero either way, that way it can serve as a warning to anyone who comes here in the future with the intent of naming themselves king."
    Randii shakes her head a little. Now, where's the fun in that? Anybody can kick down a door. Hell, usually the people that do that first are the ones that have no muscle to back it up. No, I say we just walk right in and let them attack us.

Las Noches
    District 7

Arianna watches the Arrancar closely. She hadn't heard of such a thing before.

They don't understand you at all?

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

20. - Top - End - #410
    Orc in the Playground

"I did not expect the idea to be taken at face value right away. And your counterpoints sounded like they were begging for a rebuttal." Setsurou noted with a smile. "And your praise of Shinigami over Hollows in the nonlethal department seemed just a teensy bit out of character."

The pointing out of a Sin Rostro caused the Shinigami to become uncharacteristically silent, like he even held a breath in.

"No reasoning, no understanding would be my guess.

No such thing as useless, however. A creature such as this could provide valuable insight into the biological process that yields an Arrancar."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #411
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hueco Mundo-in front of Las Cuevas de la Muerte

Kyoki who had been silent throughout the trip because of her not being very talkative looked a little nervous at the prospect of having to fight someone for her position. "I hope they don't try to get my position. I don't think they would like dying very much." Ragunaroku, who had been asleep inside of Kyoki at this point, was roused by her voice and ripped his way out of her back to take his usual position of stretching over her shoulder.

"AAAAUUUUUUGGGGGGGG! That was a nice nap. So who are we talking about killing now?" Before he could get his question answered the doors of Las Cuevas de la Muerte. "Someone's overcompensating."

Kyoki looked at the doors in wonder as the group talked about how best to enter. Upon hearing Randii's waltz in and let them attack us plan Kyoki deflates a little and says, "Does that mean I'm going first?" Ragunaroku grabbed Kyoki's face with his large hands and started contoring it violently as he said, Do you have to say it in that pitiful-ass voice!?"

22. - Top - End - #412

Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Las Noches
    District 7

Arianna watches the Arrancar closely. She hadn't heard of such a thing before.

They don't understand you at all?
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I did not expect the idea to be taken at face value right away. And your counterpoints sounded like they were begging for a rebuttal." Setsurou noted with a smile. "And your praise of Shinigami over Hollows in the nonlethal department seemed just a teensy bit out of character."

The pointing out of a Sin Rostro caused the Shinigami to become uncharacteristically silent, like he even held a breath in.

"No reasoning, no understanding would be my guess.

No such thing as useless, however. A creature such as this could provide valuable insight into the biological process that yields an Arrancar."
    Las Noches
    District 7-6

Jehoel nods to Arianna.

"Indeed. The only stimulus we can make them respond to is pain. They will either run, or fight to the death if that is not an option. As Setsurou suggested, we suspect this to be because they possess no real mind. A Gillian, much like an animal, is driven by its instincts. Arrancarification removes those qualities, leaving a mind adapted to only respond to its needs...without any needs. As for the biological processes of Arrancar, we already have a thorough understanding of the transformation; it was a subject of some interest during the last fifty years."

The group approaches another gate. Unlike the last ones, however, this one is closed off, covered with yellow and black warning tape.

"District 6. Administration. Currently being dismantled, as we are streamlining the power structure."

Stepping forward, Jehoel cracks open the gate, ushering the Shinigami in after him before closing it. District 6 is actually quite busy; construction workers are moving around, and many of the buildings are covered off or in the process of remodeling or demolition.

"Going back a bit in the conversation...I am curious, Setsurou. What about my statement on Shinigami capabilities seemed 'out of character' to you? What is the character you think that I have? Be honest. You're free not to share, of course, but I'd be fascinated to hear your opinion."

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ettin in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    Black Dragon Gate

After exactly 48 hours after their last discussion, the Commander-General finally decides to grace Saruhiko with Li's presence. "Good evening, Kisaragi-dono. I apologize for this delay. I've been preoccupied by my new duties. There was commotion on Earth and later in the hospital area. I was also hoping to bring Sanbo-kun with me, but alas, she is nowhere to be found."

"I'd like to talk to you about medicine, but there is a certain person I'd like you to meet first. My new Vice-Commander. Does this fit your schedule?"
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    Black Dragon Gate

Saruhiko has remained where he was dropped off, seeming almost to have gone into standby mode or some form of mediation. "I am here for your use so long as it does not interfere with my outstanding orders from the Royal Guard Commander Captain. I will happily speak with anyone you wish me to. Be it criminal or Vice Captain."

25. - Top - End - #415
    Orc in the Playground

"The biggest question, Kobayashi-san, is the one nobody really asks.

What do we live for?

Even the afterlife isn't eternal. True, Pluses live for much longer than humans. Shinigami and other empowered creatures even moreso. But they still die, and join the cycle of reincarnation once again.

Where does what they've done with their lives go?"

A little too deep and depressing for casual conversation, perhaps.

"Not really trying to recruit you. But if you're really looking to learn, few places offer an opportunity as good as Gotei does. It's pretty much the best option I can think of."
    Momoka smirks. Though there's a hint of reserved sadness in it. "...Indeed. You put it well." Hopping down from the tree, she looks into the woods, regaining her composure. "I don't believe it is our place to know that. To learn so... I believe, would be akin to ascending to Nirvana, if one prescribes to that philosophy. It is simply beyond most mortal minds. And even if one of perfect enlightenment came down from the metaphorical heavens in an attempt to enlighten us, I do not believe we could understand it. So dwelling on such things is futile. We do what we can, must, or desire. That is all that is to it, as far as I know."

Her smirk turns into a genuine smile, at this. "...But pleading existential ignorance is no excuse to stop looking, I suppose. Perhaps, if it is 'in the cards', we might meet in these woods again. I will admit I wholeheartedly look forward to it, Setsurou." She looks up, the sky beginning to show signs of evening, then back down to earth, and her companion in solitude, should he have anything else to say.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    [Soul Society]
    Black Dragon Gate

Saruhiko has remained where he was dropped off, seeming almost to have gone into standby mode or some form of mediation. "I am here for your use so long as it does not interfere with my outstanding orders from the Royal Guard Commander Captain. I will happily speak with anyone you wish me to. Be it criminal or Vice Captain."
    "Magnificent. Could you please follow me? We agreed to meet at my personal garden."

"I don't think my subordinate will be there yet. I sent him to visit one of SSI's restricted facilities. We have opportunity to enjoy tea and cookies."

"Oh, a question by the way. Do you know who invented artificial and modified souls? Was he elevated to the guard?"
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

Saruhiko follows as asked, moving in the same slow deliberate manner as he scans the area around themselves with a far away look. "Mmmm? She passed on years ago, her contribution was not deemed worthy of a place at the Soul King's side. Are you having problems with the Mod Souls?"

28. - Top - End - #418
    Orc in the Playground

Momoka smirks. Though there's a hint of reserved sadness in it. "...Indeed. You put it well." Hopping down from the tree, she looks into the woods, regaining her composure. "I don't believe it is our place to know that. To learn so... I believe, would be akin to ascending to Nirvana, if one prescribes to that philosophy. It is simply beyond most mortal minds. And even if one of perfect enlightenment came down from the metaphorical heavens in an attempt to enlighten us, I do not believe we could understand it. So dwelling on such things is futile. We do what we can, must, or desire. That is all that is to it, as far as I know."

Her smirk turns into a genuine smile, at this. "...But pleading existential ignorance is no excuse to stop looking, I suppose. Perhaps, if it is 'in the cards', we might meet in these woods again. I will admit I wholeheartedly look forward to it, Setsurou." She looks up, the sky beginning to show signs of evening, then back down to earth, and her companion in solitude, should he have anything else to say.
    "I'll be waiting, Kobayashi-kun. This very same grove, luck permitting."

----------------------------------

"Going back a bit in the conversation...I am curious, Setsurou. What about my statement on Shinigami capabilities seemed 'out of character' to you? What is the character you think that I have? Be honest. You're free not to share, of course, but I'd be fascinated to hear your opinion."
    "Well, as a whole, I can't help but feel this sense of... contempt, disdain even, for Shinigami as a whole, coming from you. Like our very presence here is tolerated and amusing, more than anything else.

It felt... odd, to say the least, to hear you claim Shinigami superiority over Hollows in any way. Even if that way is a way that neither benefits nor harms Hollows directly. But perhaps I am overthinking it."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #419

[Las Noches]
    District 6-5

Jehoel listens intently as Setsurou gives his evaluation.

"Interestingly enough, Setsurou, you are both entirely wrong and entirely correct at the same time. I apologize for not sharing the inner workings of my psychology with you, but rest assured, you are not incorrect in your statement that I hold most Shinigami in contempt."

District 6 passes quickly. There isn't much to see. The gate to the next district is not barred from the inside, but after passing through it can be seen as blocked off like the one from District 7.

"District 5. Art."

Similarly to District 9, most of the buildings in this district are unique in appearance. They are also quite spread out; the district is quite open, and a number of sculptures, murals, and other forms of art are visible scattered around.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Orc in the Playground

"See, there it is again. I'm having a hard time determining whether I amuse you or annoy you." Setsurou replied.

But when they get to district 5, his eyes LIGHTEN. THE HELL. UP.

He looks positively awestruck. Even if the district in and of itself doesn't happen to be very impressive, for some reason, his eyes are wide and big as saucers.

Except it gets literal.

And then they fall off.

That was a gag, ladies and gentlemen.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show