New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Tippyverse DnD VS Tippyverse Potterverse

Quote Originally Posted by Drachasor View Post
    It was that an average wizard would probably fail against someone with a shotgun. They just don't have combat training since they're a baker, storekeep, teacher, or whatever.
    Sooo Kentucky (my home state) versus HP Wizards = Kentucky wins.

So I think D&D Wizards have a shot to win.

Happy Free RPG Day!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by undead hero View Post

That pun HAD to be intended... It is just TOO bad to actually have been accidental
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    That pun HAD to be intended... It is just TOO bad to actually have been accidental
    As the great truckasaurus would say "Yuuuuup"
    Happy Free RPG Day!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Colossus in the Playground

In my books, the superior time control of D&D makes this a non-contest. Celerity, Time Stop and Teleport Through Time completely and utterly trump everything in HP speed-wise and since speed is the primary measurement here (who acts first generally wins with the power of offense we're talking here). If you really have trouble ending someone, just Unname them. Or Mindrape them. Or hell, Imprison them.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Except for celerity I dont really think so.

In general d&d characters are extremely slow in comparison to HP humans (who use our timeframe).

Lets take time stop, thats 2 to 5 casts in 5 seconds (if you use quickcast its 4 to 10) that really is nothing most likely Dumbledore could do 5 casts in 5 secs without any spell aid.
    So time stop in the end just speeds d&d wizards up to HP human casting speeds or depending on rolls a bit faster.

And without it 1 to 2 casts every 5 secs is something even low level hp wizards can do without problem.

Time travel is also in favor of HP with items that allow it to everyone without much knowledge or skill.

Not saying that HP universe has a chance but time is actually something very much in favor of hp ^^
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2013-07-03 at 08:28 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    In my books, the superior time control of D&D makes this a non-contest. Celerity, Time Stop and Teleport Through Time completely and utterly trump everything in HP speed-wise and since speed is the primary measurement here (who acts first generally wins with the power of offense we're talking here). If you really have trouble ending someone, just Unname them. Or Mindrape them. Or hell, Imprison them.
    DND wizards don't even need to be anywhere close enough to have to use those spells

Happy Free RPG Day!

7. - Top - End - #97

Hmm, obviously HP loses since you're giving the other side Epic Level Spellcasting -- kind of insanely unfair to do that, imho.
    Not just in your opinion, but also in the rules of the Tippyverse, where there is no Epic Magic.

However, consider the whole direct assault I posted about earlier. HP Wizards are the Cybermen, Muggles are the Humans and the TV Wizards are the Daleks.

Then there's the question of what happens if a high level Druid gets involved.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Threadnaught View Post
    Then there's the question of what happens if a high level Druid gets involved.
    Not much. Well, unless it's a Planar Shepherd keyed to one of the more insane planes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Tippyverse would definitely win. Why? They have reliable divination. They can easily choose a course of action with a 0% failure rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Don't you see it? The inert Shrieker may have more raw power, but the rock has something the Shrieker will never have. VERSATILITY.

Also, the rock will probably be lighter than the Shrieker, allowing it to be used as a improvised thrown weapon should the need arise.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly the biggest strength of the HP magic would be "avada kadavra." I'm not sure it would allow a save. Though, it's probably not that huge of a strength when a majority of spellcasters in the HP world are Good and refuse to use that spell.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Think 1984 meets D&D with a darker utopian style to it and you've effectively got the Tippyverse from how Tippy describes it to everyone when they ask (Actually, I expect him to arrive fairly shortly to correct me). In the Tippyverse, there is no hunger, no disease; It is a post scarcity society where people are expected to ignorantly serve a master that they do not know exist and is monitoring their every actions... My god this setting sounds pretty cool
    This seems to be how the Tippyverse is perceived in this thread, DESPITE THE FACT THAT TIPPY SPECIFICALLY SAYS IT ISN'T TRUE:
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy
    What the Tippyverse isn’t:
    1. It’s not a world ruled by a single all powerful wizard who mind rapes the opposition (at least not traditionally).
    2. It’s not a 1984/Parinoia/Big Brother world where freedom does not exist and the government controls every facet of life
    And from later in that thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy
    Not to mention I'm mildly annoyed at all the people who think it's nothing more than a mind rape setting. It was never that and was always as attempt to make a setting that allowed all forms of play across a broad spectrum of levels and play styles while still maintaining suspension of disbelief, verisimilitude, and an inability for the PC's to drastically redefine the world with even a modicum of common sense.
    Now that that's out of the way:

There Potterverse does have some magic that would be very useful in a Tippyverse. They've got an at will Dispel with Finite Incantatem, for one. They've also got a load of teleportation, with at will Greater Teleport in the form of Apparition, and port-keys which can be made fairly easily by powerful enough wizards.
    Another place where Potterverse Wizards have an advantage is healing magic: They've got some arcane Cure spells for minor wounds and potions and stuff for more serious wounds.
    Disillusionment charms are also neat, since they provide a bonus to hide checks rather than actually making you invisible, meaning they can't be detected by True Seeing, you'd need Prying Eyes.

In combat, the two most useful things would probably be Protego, since that's essentially Wings of Cover (I'm basing this off the fact that it can be used to block a spell reactively and not set up in advance) and again Apparition, since that's also been used as an immediate action to dodge spells.

In the end I'd still give the win to DnD wizards, though. For one thing, DnD wizards have better divinations, so they can actually use Scry and Die tactics, while HP wizards only have the teleporting bit. For another, DnD wizards have too much control of the Action Economy to be defeated.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel_Dude View Post
    Honestly the biggest strength of the HP magic would be "avada kadavra." I'm not sure it would allow a save. Though, it's probably not that huge of a strength when a majority of spellcasters in the HP world are Good and refuse to use that spell.
    HP alchemy is far more potent than D&D. In D&D, outside a few wonderous item elixers, the vast majority of alchemy involves known poisones or spells of up to 3rd level. Additionally, the spell potions do not function if dilluted or mixed with other things. HP alchemy does not have this sort of problem. The value or usefulness of that is debatable.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Firbolg in the Playground

HP alchemy is far more potent than D&D. In D&D, outside a few wonderous item elixers, the vast majority of alchemy involves known poisones or spells of up to 3rd level. Additionally, the spell potions do not function if dilluted or mixed with other things. HP alchemy does not have this sort of problem. The value or usefulness of that is debatable.
    You do realize that this is irrelevant right? Even as thrown alchemical weapons potions just don't have the range to compete with spells. Even in Potterverse, let alone in D&Dverse with their "400 feet + 40 feet per caster level." spells.

I might be missing something you were implying but I just don't see bringing potions to a spell fight as being relevant.

It's be like bringing a bag of grenades to a sniper fight. Sure you demolished some stuff but you're still riddled with holes, y'know?

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by Talderas View Post
    Additionally, the spell potions do not function if dilluted or mixed with other things.
    I recommend you look up potion miscibility rules.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

15. - Top - End - #105

ClericGirl

Magic items in HP are highly underpowered, I'd like to add. The Deathly Hollows, the most powerful known magical items in the series, can literally be constructed by a 7th level Wizard.
    Most famous, certainly.
    Most long lasting, probably.
    Probably not most powerful though.

The most directly powerful of the three, the wand, seems to be the equivalent of a +lots of caster level item.
    Depending on how much plus +lots is, that might be very nice, but the three of the them are mostly just legendary/famous.

The at-will personal, portable time-machines probably trumps (even if they are Novikov self-consistent). *
    Heck, the false eye of always-on true-seeing is also worth noting (that gets you up to a level 9 caster, sans-shenanigans).
    The Goblet of Fire is probably an item of Geas.

Even then, your generalized point holds: most of what we see is strictly mid-level. But it does seem to be more readily available and easier to create.

*trumps the hallows, not high-end D&D.
    Last edited by Hecuba; 2013-07-03 at 01:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

HP Wizards get obliterated. No matter how good their spells are, they're basically all Rays, and a TV wizard that gets within line of sight while his opponent can act has done something wrong. TV wizards don't even set foot on the HP plane before everyone is dead.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    HP Wizards get obliterated. No matter how good their spells are, they're basically all Rays, and a TV wizard that gets within line of sight while his opponent can act has done something wrong. TV wizards don't even set foot on the HP plane before everyone is dead.
    Dead? Come on, use every part of the buffalo. Indoctrinated, at least.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by undead hero View Post

Don't get too big of a head over that. The average D&D wizard also dies to a commoner with a shotgun. Average D&D wizards are extremely low level, aren't adventurers, and don't regularly prepare combat spells. Adventurers are not the norm.

Kentucky against HP non-muggle bakers, accountants, etc. have a decent shot at winning. Your State has zero chance of winning against an HP Ministry of Magic.

That said, high level D&D wizards have a lot of tricks up their sleeves as others have noted. I don't see a good way for HP wizards to win, short of a prophecy declaring that they'll win.

If you cap D&D levels at 10, I think HP wins without too much trouble. It's on the march to 20 that they start to really fall behind.

Though, if we were going to optimize the HP universe, then I think they have a much better shot. Easy time travel, fantastic divination (thanks to Centaurs and probably other magical creatures), the ability to teleport through wards (thanks to House Elves), etc, etc. There's a lot of HP that could be leveraged a heck of a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Not so. They have AoE spells. Fiendfyre is particularly nasty here. They can make constructs in a split second. Dumbledore took out a room of Aurors with a single spell (non-lethally, I might add). They also can fire off spells a lot quicker than D&D Wizards.

Their transmutation ability was hardly touched on. Same with their potion-making. They can do the D&D equivalent of bottling nat 20s for the day -- FOR THE DAY.

I think it would actually take a lot of time to figure out what a fully realistic and properly optimized HP-verse would look like. It definitely wouldn't look like the books.
    Last edited by Drachasor; 2013-07-03 at 12:46 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109

Sniper rifle round to the face from a km away is the standard way for normal peoples to take care of wizards. A dnd wizard could survive that what with hyper reaction time and force field and the like. HP magic is almost entirely offensive and counterspell based. No force shield from what I can remember and nothing that can help if taken by surprise.

20. - Top - End - #110

If you cap D&D levels at 10, I think HP wins without too much trouble. It's on the march to 20 that they start to really fall behind.
    What's HP's answer to Lesser Planar Binding and Plane Shift? Dumping a big ol' sack of demons (not to mention constructs and undead) into the HP world without the HP wizards ever being to strike back means that TP will win eventually.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    What's HP's answer to Lesser Planar Binding and Plane Shift? Dumping a big ol' sack of demons (not to mention constructs and undead) into the HP world without the HP wizards ever being to strike back means that TP will win eventually.
    Seriously? Constructs and Undead? You're kidding right? HP wizards can MAKE constructs faster than D&D wizards can make both constructs and undead combined.

Avada Kedavra kills D&D constructs, demons, and all or almost all undead. No save, no SR.

An optimized HP has excellent divination via magical creatures. Centaurs, for instant, definitely seem to have a much better idea of what's going on than Wizards in HP. A combined force of HP universe will know when things are coming just as well as D&D wizards.

Edit: Oh and worst case regarding divination, you just leverage a Felix Felicis potion properly and you get all the answers to everything you want. (It's actually better than just nat 20s on everything).

What makes you think HP wizards can't strike back? They clearly can make portals more bizarre than to other planes. Sirius fell into one.
    Last edited by Drachasor; 2013-07-03 at 12:59 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112

Seriously? Constructs and Undead? You're kidding right? HP wizards can MAKE constructs faster than D&D wizards can make both constructs and undead combined.

Avada Kedavra kills D&D constructs, demons, and all or almost all undead. No save, no SR.
    I don't remember a single golem, demon, or zombie in HP, certainly not one that was killed with Avada Kedavra. Remind me?

What makes you think HP wizards can't strike back? They clearly can make portals more bizarre than to other planes. Sirius fell into one.
    Conjecture. Unless you can provide evidence that Harry Potter wizards can travel between planes, we cannot assume that they are able to do so.

And Felix isn't divination - you trust the potion that things will work out, but you still don't know what's coming, and it explicitly won't stop spells from killing you.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2013-07-03 at 01:01 PM.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Planeshift is debatable since other planes do not exist in PV, so that topic is not discussed. If we are using the separate worlds scenario then that spell would probably not have any effect on the PV dimension. Depends on how we set up the scenario, and who we want to give the advantage.

Constructs and Undead were fought in PV, and they showed to have little resistance to spells. Perhaps most of them are SR:No. There are also many spells that higher "level" wizards in PV use that are not direct rays and such. Things that use the environment against the opponent. Those would probably be effective.
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

24. - Top - End - #114
    Barbarian in the Playground

The problem here, as I see it, is the basic disconnect in trying to compare a game system that has existed and been worked over by obsessives for a decade and a half, with numerous splatbooks with overpowered or 'breakable' aspects, at its most theoretically overoptimized, absurdist form, 'against'...the world of a series of books that, although it has also existed and been worked over by obsessives for a decade and a half, exists and was worked over in a much different manner, if that makes sense to y'all.

We don't know what a "Tippyverse" version of HP would really look like since the same principles that created such a thing for D&D have not been applied to the HP 'verse, and, to be frank, probably can't be, at least not to the same degree, since the HP magic system is not mechanized to even comparably the same degree as 3.5 D&D's. And comparing any actual fantasy story to Theoretically Optimized 3rd Edition Dungeons and Dragons is kind of...ridiculous, as we all ought to know simply by being on the GitP forums.

Much of the comparison so far seems to have been Tippyverse "against" HP 'verse as seen in the books, and/or trying to translate HP magic as seen in the books to D&D terms, rather than what the topic title seems to have suggested...because we just don't really have a "Tippyverse" equivalent for the Potterverse, at least not to my knowledge.
    I think I just failed a Spot check.

25. - Top - End - #115

ClericGirl

I don't remember a single golem, demon, or zombie in HP, certainly not one that was killed with Avada Kedavra. Remind me?
    I think the Golem reference is regarding the Centaur Statue from the Fountain of Magical Brethren, which Dumbledore intercepted an AK during the Atrium Duel and was "killed."

As far as I can tell, the other two are conjecture.

26. - Top - End - #116

I don't think you can compare an Animated Object with an actual proper golem.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Dumbledore uses a spell to make a construct to block an Avada Kadevra when he fights Voldemort. The construct explodes.

And Felix isn't divination - you trust the potion that things will work out, but you still don't know what's coming, and it explicitly won't stop spells from killing you.
    1. Have Bob drink Felix.

2. Bob, here are our resources, how should we direct our troops?

3. What sort of defenses do we need to setup?

4. The research team has hit a snag Bob, here's what they are doing. Any suggestions?

5. If you had to pick a time, when do you think the next enemy attack will be?

6. Ok, we're going to hunt for infiltrators and mind-controlled wizards, Bob. What location should we start at first?

Etc, etc, etc. (Edit: Last tasks: Bob, who should drink the potion tomorrow? What questions should we ask them?)

It leads you to the optimal answers to whatever you are after. It's ripe for abuse. (As for the side effects of long term exposure, that's easily avoided by changing who uses it).
    Last edited by Drachasor; 2013-07-03 at 01:16 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quorothorn View Post
    The problem here, as I see it, is the basic disconnect in trying to compare a game system that has existed and been worked over by obsessives for a decade and a half, with numerous splatbooks with overpowered or 'breakable' aspects, at its most theoretically overoptimized, absurdist form, 'against'...the world of a series of books that, although it has also existed and been worked over by obsessives for a decade and a half, exists and was worked over in a much different manner, if that makes sense to y'all.

We don't know what a "Tippyverse" version of HP would really look like since the same principles that created such a thing for D&D have not been applied to the HP 'verse, and, to be frank, probably can't be, at least not to the same degree, since the HP magic system is not mechanized to even comparably the same degree as 3.5 D&D's. And comparing any actual fantasy story to Theoretically Optimized 3rd Edition Dungeons and Dragons is kind of...ridiculous, as we all ought to know simply by being on the GitP forums.

Much of the comparison so far seems to have been Tippyverse "against" HP 'verse as seen in the books, and/or trying to translate HP magic as seen in the books to D&D terms, rather than what the topic title seems to have suggested...because we just don't really have a "Tippyverse" equivalent for the Potterverse, at least not to my knowledge.
    Undead: Inferi (may or may not be resilient to AK)
    Constructs: Piertotum Locomotor Creates constructs. Animated suits of armor which would be of the construct type. (seen in movies as being destroyed by spells appearing to be AK)
    Demon not so much.
    Conjecture. Unless you can provide evidence that Harry Potter wizards can travel between planes, we cannot assume that they are able to do so.
    We cannot assume one way or the other really. The topic isn't covered since a multiplane cosmology is not the one in which PV resides
    Conjecture give me an example of a spell killing someone under the effects of the spell. Thus we cannot assume...
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Hecuba View Post
    I think the Golem reference is regarding the Centaur Statue from the Fountain of Magical Brethren, which Dumbledore intercepted an AK during the Atrium Duel and was "killed."

As far as I can tell, the other two are conjecture.
    Yes. Based off the fact it can kill something that's not even alive, I don't see why it couldn't handle a Demon.

Also, it is a fact nothing can block the spell. That's repeated over and over and over again. Definitely SR no. I believe it is used in the books once or twice against creatures that would have the HP SR equivalent.

On undead: I suppose you could argue it is "negative energy" but that is REALLY pure conjecture at that point. By D&D rules it is the only way their undead could survive -- though possibly incoporeal undead would be ok. Dementors don't seem killable, though we don't really know what they are.

And by D&D standards, if it can kill a construct, it can kill undead. They have the same resistances as far as that goes. Short of that, there's fiendfyre and other ways for HP wizards to do mass damage.
    Last edited by Drachasor; 2013-07-03 at 01:15 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120

Avada Kedavra is a non issue, any dnd wizard who did is homework will know that a large part of HP spells are rays, including the famous "you're dead lol".
    That simply means wizards from dnd will show up with ray deflection.