New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 80 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default So...

Leena has suggested making camp. You guys are mid conversation, but that could take place while you are moving on. The ground below you all rumbles a bit and you hear a horrific trill echoing in the dark distant valley.

What do you do?

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

I'm conducting my examinations, with or without a camp.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

(Sorry for the delay)

"I confess to you friends the reason I have ventured fom Elysium: there is an unknown threat that might destabilize the Shining One. My greatest fear is that Vecna's undead forces are rallying. Such a shift in this plane's balance would hamper my ability to communicate with my god. Unlike Xavier, my abilities have not been affected...yet."

"I think Leena suggestion to make camp is a good one."

4. - Top - End - #184

I personally find the undead rather fascinating. How they manage to phosphorylate adenosine diphosphate without active mitochondria is still a scientific mystery. "Magic" is a lazy answer. I eagerly await these mindless minions.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Making camp...

Ok, so everyone catches up a bit. I think Christopher meant Nerull rather than Vecna (Nerull is truly Pelor's opposite, though Vecna is evil as well; Nerull is the evil deity while Vecna was a lich who ascended to godhood).

Regardless, you make your way through the valley toward the base of the northeast mountain nearby. Apparently there was a camp laid out there, but it looks to have been abandoned months or even years ago. The tents and huts here are all but bare, barely even standing, though set in a position to withstand much if the harsh weather.

Leena (no longer being played by me) kicks at the scraps around the fire places. Nothing noteworthy is here. Bear Ghost is able to recognize some tribal markings and charms scattered about, but they are of another nearby tribe. This was possibly a resting point for previous scouts or adventurers belonging to that tribe or even a small outpost.

The face of the mountain, however, now that you are all near, has about half a dozen polar bear and large, white wolf (winter wolf) corpses scattered neatly around. The creatures are very much dead, though semi-preserved and even partially iced over due to the cold. There is something odd about them, though. It seems as if they have been completely consumed, though their bones and pelt remain cleanly intact (think a victim of a chupacabra).

There is a cave entrance with neatly fashioned runes in a foreign tongue decorating the almost perfectly shaped, oval opening. You all hear the echo of a deep bellow, almost grunt-like, followed by the sound of someone or something shuffling about within. It is especially cold here, despite the area being better protected from the icy drafts.

At this point the sun has gone down, limiting visibility, while the whistling wind continues to be interrupted from time to time by unknown beasts which continue to lurk out in the vast wilds.

What do you all do?
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-10-30 at 12:22 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

As we get closer to the cave, I'll pick up a rock and put it in my pocket. I'll also use my racial ability and attempt to detect evil within the cave.
    Last edited by Christ. Michael; 2013-10-30 at 06:58 AM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default A rock?

There are small stones and pebbles scattered around as well as larger, fist-sized chunks of icy rock. You can grab any sort of size you wish, more or less.

As you concentrate within and around the cave, you are unable to detect any presence or auras of evil. The range of the effect is limited and it is uncertain how deep the cave goes into the mountain. The runes themselves, however, do not radiate evil.

Between you all, you can decipher that the runes are written in alternating Aquan (the language of water-based elemental creatures, which uses the Elven alphabet) and Auran (the language of air-based elemental creatures, which uses the Draconic alphabet) symbols. Does anybody speak these languages?

8. - Top - End - #188

"Smoke and mirrors. These things calling themselves gods are powerful beings, to be sure, but I have yet to find evidence that they control the very laws that they themselves are subject to. Perhaps a few of them have learned a way to suppress magic in order to spite those who displease them. More tricks.

It's all in your head Xavier. No god controls you or your gifts.

Please do not tamper with the cave until I have examined these corpses."

I examine the chupacabra corpses with great interest and from the vantage point of several disciplines DM, choose what you find most relevant.

Knowledge nature 40
    Arcana 47
    Heal 49

I then survey the cave exterior.

Geography 35 to recall facts about this particular cave.
    Arcana 39 for additional knowledge about the cave, the writing, and any clues as to what lives inside it if it is a magical creature.

Nature 47 for the same

Dungeoneering 36. Safety of the cave and clues to what is inside.

I never chose languages, and I can't recall if I have decipher script.

I make an intel check 17 to read it. If it doesn't work, I take a comprehend languages elixir. Hate to resort to cheese techniques but Im not down for another surprise.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-sp...hend-languages
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2013-10-30 at 12:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default No cheese, this is D&D!

Dr. Nimm takes some time surveying the area. This place seems to have been in fact an outpost of some sort, with its inhabitants long gone or dead. The cave seems to be a fairly recent structure. It is unknown whether whatever exists in the cave ever encountered the tribesmen.

Regarding the corpses, they were consumed in an unusual fashion. The manner in which they were suggests they were consumed by an intelligent creature, especially considering how "well kept" they are. Nothing you have ever encountered or have studied, Dr. Nimm, has ever displayed such mannerism or behavior. Your best bet is that it is some rare and obscure extraplanar race of being, either from the elemental plain of air or water.

From the outside, the cave doesn't seem treacherous, but rather more of a den or dwelling.

Your Int check has only let you decipher the language/origin of the script, but don't feel cheesed with your elixirs.

Dr. Nimm prepares a concoction very quickly, almost in a frustrating fashion, and takes a swig. His pupils dilate, reflecting how the mixture pulses directly into the section of his brain that controls language. Dr. Nimm, your vision blurs for a quick second, which you shake off immediately, as the previously incomprehensible runes now suddenly make perfect sense. They read:

Intruders beware! This sanctuary is devoted neither to those seeking wealth nor power... Unless it comes in the form of knowledge, which is the source of both true wealth and power!

10. - Top - End - #190

I repeat that info to the team.

"I can't wait to see what's inside! Yet things aren't always what they seem. I suggest that we first attempt communication rather than barging in on an extraplanar being's living space. If we enter, enter cautiously but not aggressively."
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2013-10-30 at 08:06 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Barbarian in the Playground

Xavier Alexis to Dr. Nimm: Thank you for your input but I am not even sure how I can create the magical effects I am able to create. I only know I have been able to create them since childhood and they have only become more powerful with age. That being said, if you believe it is in my head, what could you suggest might fix my problem?

Xavier Alexis to everyone: I agree with Leena, let us make camp in an area she determines is safe for us.

In the meantime, I practice my spells in an attempt to see what works and what doesn't under Dr. Nimm's observation.

I will also attempt to remember if I have ever heard or read about something of this nature happening before. My Knowledge Arcana roll is 51.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Xavier

Xavier, all you can recall is that deities themselves may influence the ability for mortals to wield magic, but such a thing has never been experienced, only spoken about.

Do you all set up camp or enter the seemingly inhabited cave? Xavier can experiment fully when you all settle for the night, but not while contemplating your next move.

I haven't heard from Leena or Bear Ghost...

13. - Top - End - #193

I observe Xavier casting like he asked, taking measurements with magical crystals and lenses, having him cast into reactive chemicals, etc. (arcana 47)

"Xavier: your prowess is notable, even in this crippled state. Rest assured that science will prevail. It's a matter of applying simple deductive reasoning. Until further evidence is known, the cause of your handicap is either external or internal; some malignant entity or force is dampening your abilities or the problem is some psychological or physical disease*

In any case, I have designed a crutch for you: a procedure which may restore some of your powers artificially, until we can find a cure. The heat gland from the Remorhaz can create tremendous amounts of magical energy. It is a truly remarkable organ.

I can attempt to infuse a peice of this gland with your own blood in a modified base of the Amplify Elixir. (Alchemy check 67)

This will attune it to your own body and make it more magically reactive. I can then perform an operation on you to graft the infused Remorhaz gland into your adrenal glands. The energy created by the gland will hopefully supplement your own, thereby reducing some of your symptoms.

However, for the gland not to incinerate your kidneys, Ill have to uncouple it from its primary function, which will make it unstable. The results may be... Interesting.

(Heal check pending DM and player approval)

If you begin to suffer adverse effects, I can always remove the graft. My medical expertise and Christopher Michael's healing powers will ensure your safety, provided you don't nova or disintegrate but the probability of that hapenning is remote."

I'll forfeit my rest, if needed, in order to do these things.

*I made a high heal check on you to check for magical disease a few posts back but I never got a reply from DM, so I guess it was inconclusive.
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2013-11-02 at 11:25 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Camp

Leena scouts the area (still waiting on her post), and finds an ideal spot to make camp. It is just behind one of the larger huts, but grants some visibility both to the open wilderness as well as to the opening of the cave. This allows you all to stay out of visual sight of what ever denizens might be out there, but allows for you to see them coming in case they do come across you.

Xavier and Dr. Nimm start experimenting with his magic. It becomes quickly apparent what is wrong, though not so much why. Xavier has lost the ability to cast his most powerful spells. Out of game, although he retains the appropriate spell points, 9th-level and higher spells, or even lower level spells manipulated to take a higher level "slot" are somehow inaccessible. This is not an anti-magic effect, either. It is as if a low level caster tries to cast a spell above his ability-- the spell simply fails.

If Xavier is willing, Dr. Nimm can graft a chunk of the gland onto Xavier. I will allow for meta-magic effects to be able to be cast at no additional cost so that will temporarily alleviate Xavier's issue. The tissue has been cleaned and handled well enough to ward off disease, but this is a highly irregular, cross-species experiment, so it is uncertain whether any additional side-effects, if any, may manifest. Only a direct test will reveal that.

Does anyone else want to handle any business or do anything before you all settle down? I believe that Xavier does not require sleep, but he must still rest to recover his SP (as well as most everyone else), so it is okay for him to stand watch. Leena also only requires 4 hours of trance, so she can stay up and stand watch with Xavier after she rests. She will cast the Alarm spell when everyone is settled.

Xavier, do you agree with the procedure? The grafts will be large, so it may protrude out of your sides, sitting right above your adrenal glands on both sides of your abdomen, right under your arm pits.

And everyone else? Once you rest, its XP time.

15. - Top - End - #195

"Dieties, schmieties.... It's all a scam."

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Politics and Religion

Is Dr. Nimm taking a stand against organized religion? I'm sure Christopher Michael isn't too happy about that...

17. - Top - End - #197
    Pixie in the Playground

"They are very real Nimm." I set down the weapon in front of me. "This here is all the proof I need. I have proven myself on many battlefields. Kord took notice. Even when I thought he had abandoned me, it was only to test my mettle. And though I may fall in battle today or 10 years from now, I am content that my place among them will have been earned."

18. - Top - End - #198

"Bear Ghost: I have no doubt that they are real. A king is also real, yet ironically his status and control is given to him by the very same people who live in fear and submission of him.

As your friend, I will not attribute your achievements to anyone else but you. To do so will show a lack of esteem for your tremendous tenacity and skill. You don't have to prove yourself to anyone, not even Kord.

And why would Kord need to test you? That seems rather petty of him. Also, he seems a bit too violent for my taste.

Perhaps he can hear me saying this now, and will exact some form of revenge on me, but that will only prove my previous point.

I do find Pelor and my native Garl Glittergold to be one of the more reasonable and humane faiths, although some disciples of Pelor are tiresome in their excessive self righteousness (no offense). Virtue should exist for its own sake.

Believe in your god if it brings you strength and comfort, but beware of blind submission, ignorant conviction, the will of one over the masses, the will of the masses over one, and acts done through fear of reprisal rather than through wisdom and knowledge, for that will water the seeds of evil."
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2013-11-03 at 05:16 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199

Xavier Alexis to Dr. Nimm: Thank you for your offer but I would rather not subject myself to any experiments. I will just have to make due with my current capabilities until we can figure out why it is happening.

To DM: So, my limitation is I am not able to cast any spells or use metamagic to produce a 9th level or higher spell at this time? In other words, I can only augment using metamagic or cast a spell of 8th level and lower?

20. - Top - End - #200

"Awwww come on! Don't be a pansy! It will be fun! Wenches love Remorhaz adrenal glands!"
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2013-11-04 at 08:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Fortunately, one of Pelor's tenants is to be tolerant of others - believers or not. Strength and comfort are to be found in His light. Kindness is what he preaches. What I fight for in the service of my god is the defense and promotion of these virtues."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm amused with all the bickering, but quickly find a spot with Reli and begin to trance.

We both need to rest and be well prepared for our next battle..
    I encourage them all to rest....they're going to need it. I am sure of it.

23. - Top - End - #203

I know you feel it,
    Just traaaaance!

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Rest and XP

Ah...

So after the calming of the crazy weather, night starts to fall. You all catch up and discuss issues in the realm with magic and Xavier's inability to cast his most powerful spells. Leena scouts out an ideal spot to make camp and everyone settles in.

A quaint camp fire is made and you all catch up even further with your latest exploits, especially to newly joined Christopher, while he even recants some of the early days of his adventuring career with Xavier, some 15 or so years ago (its been about that long in game time!).

Nothing passes throughout the night other than distant howls of the wolves or wind (it is hard to differentiate), horrible trilling heard echoing miles into the darkness, and other creepy crawlies that one would expect to live in such an environment (which honestly isn't much).

XP time!

I will break up experience a bit to match the flow of how the game ran. The first segment dealt with initially leaving the camp and ran up until after the encounter with the copper wyrmlings. Only Xavier, Bear Ghost and Leena were present for that. I will award a partial roleplaying bonus to Leena simply for the classic "eyes full of hate line" and her devotion to her theme. It still gets me. Kudos, Yum. Xavier will earn a small bonus for guessing the riddle as well.

Xavier: 2250
    Bear Ghost: 1650
    Leena: 2150

The second part dealt with the meeting of everyone and the surprise attack by the remorhazes, which ended up being quite a handful as Reli and Christopher nearly perished. I will award a partial roleplaying bonus to Christopher for his poise in having hung in there with his faith never wavering and also for being a good sport, as he kinda was the victim of very poor die rolls (and very good die rolls against him), spending pretty much the entire encounter swallowed. Kudos. The full roleplaying bonus is awarded to none other but Dr. Nimm. It seemed that he always had something productive/humorous to say (whether aloud or in his head), though he did speak out of turn a few times too many. Double kudos to you, sir.

Xavier: 6600
    Bear Ghost: 6600
    Leena: 6600
    Christopher: 7200
    Dr. Nimm: 7600

Spoiler
    Show
    Remember that you still have some unanswered questions/quests that need resolving. I will list them here:

-Mostly everyone: dragon quest ("convert" white dragons in this region, assisted by green); Ridion/Guardian quest (Nehlrus' former companions, the "guy" who assaulted you outside of the village near Teleroth Baine's keep)

-Xavier: dragon quest; powers fading; still have not contacted/resolved issue with brother

-Bear Ghost: dragon quest; issues with tribe (remember the captive Titania and her dire lion pet, Leandro)

-Leena: dragon quest; ongoing quest against dragons/giants

-Christopher: indirect Pelor quest (disconnect, powers fading, nonspecific extra-planar balance issues)

-Dr. Nimm: dragon quest; discovering the secrets of the universe

Xaxier, throughout the night, you do hear shuffling nearby, though in the darkness. No one awakes. Even Leena mildly twitches in her trance through it, while Reli gently growls in his slumber. You hear what sounds like a dragging. As you peer over to the cave, you can barely make out a large shadowy figure, nearly 8-feet tall, dragging what looks like a large polar bear into the cave with the runes. No specific details or characteristics can be made out at this time. I suspect you do nothing, as it was rather quite and nothing else occurs throughout the night...

Day breaks and everyone awakes, well rested (full HP/SP). What do you all do?
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-11-06 at 09:02 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205

Dr Nimm starts of his morning right with coffee, whiskey, tobacco, and a snort of cocaine. He takes a deep breath of the fresh morning air and offers some to his friends.

"Anyone want some? It really opens up the lungs in the morning. Most refreshing. I also have moonsilver, bard's tea, black orchid extract, zerk, elven brandy, dwarven mead..."

With the pipe still in his mouth he then begins a series of elaborate stretches and exercises designed to increase circulation to his brain. He then sets to reviewing his notes, preparing elixirs and bombs and polishing his tools, while twitching and mumbling to himself or some imagined person.
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2013-11-07 at 09:26 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I'll reject Dr. Nimm's offerings and perform my morning prayers just as the sun peaks over the horizon.

"Thank you, merciful Pelor, for seeing me through the remorhaz, just as you saw Jorzen through the belly of the whale. Lend me strength to smite those who would work against you, and to defend the honest and true. Allow me to be your instrument and spread your love to all, O Shiny One."

27. - Top - End - #207

As Dr. Nimm prepares his extracts for the day on his portable lab, he mutters constantly and incoherently. As he does this, he stares at the party members over his glasses, which perch on the end of his nose. His ordinary slight derangement is amplified into neurosis by his copious morning doses and the fumes from his extracts. Eyes twitching, hands trembling, he somehow manages to measure and mix various formulae with unnatural speed and accuracy, while carrying a conversation with himself.

He regards Christopher Michael in particular, and occasionally coherent words can be heard if one were listening carefully to the illustrious all knowing sage:

mumble mumble "... No fun at all..." mumble "heaven must be awfully boring..." mumble "... Farmhands..."

He tucks vials of catalysts and powders into special pockets in his vest. Weapons, a wrench, crowbar, and other tools clipped in his belt. He dons goggles over his eyes to protect against the snow and possible explosions, and picks up his walking stick.

"Ready! Xavier; let's teleport to the nearest brothel! I have a very selective elixir of giant growth we need to try!"
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2013-11-13 at 11:54 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208

Xavier Alexis to Dr. Nimm: A brothel does sound fun but we have some pressing concerns to deal with first.

Xavier Alexis to everyone: What do you say we deal with these White Dragons?

Xavier to Leena: Do you know how far we are from the White Dragons?

29. - Top - End - #209

To Xavier: "Well if you had done the surgery I proposed you'd be strong enough to freeze time, teleport us, screw ourselves silly and be back before tea time and no dragons or anyone else would be the wiser!

Oh well, 'In for a penny, in for a pound!'"

Dr. Nimm pulls out a flask and takes a long swig, then sprinkles some suspicious powder into the lit end of his magic pipe.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Back from cruisin'

Hello all.

Been away for a week, but picking right back up. I've read from Xavier, Christopher, and Nimm, but I'm missing Bear Ghost and Leena. Post up!
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-11-25 at 10:24 AM.