New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: IC VI Stormy Seas

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to ignore Coffee's post - she can delete that one and post her plan after this, to avoid double posting anyway, and since Natalia would know it's impossible, I'm going to assume the last post would be changed substantially.

"Once they've summoned help, we can hopefully take whatever remains of their forces outside the 'secret' entrance, then, and get the food to the dwarves...but the problem after that is that the siege remains, and then they know we're coming. It's...argh, it's so frustrating that we can't talk to the dwarves. Can't coordinate..." He shakes his head angrily, pacing slowly back and forth.

"We'd need to act fast. If we could get the dwarves to attack, even a small one from the main gate to reinforce Shiny's illusion, then we might, maybe, if we're fast enough be able to destroy the forces outside two of the entrances. But it's so annoying, there's no way to talk to them to get them to be ready for it...and so many moving parts, so many ways for it to go wrong." He trails off towards the end, losing confidence in his idea. His ideas have been bold, always to attack...the orcs in the cave, at the river, but it had been so simple those times. Attack when they're weak, when they don't expect it - the first time had just been opportunity, pure luck. This is...so many things could go wrong, and he can't even start to think about them.
    Last edited by Cavelcade; 2013-08-27 at 10:40 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Colossus in the Playground

It's a good thing that Natalia didn't hear Brander, or else he would be given an angry lecture about how dare he use someone as a sacrifice, he should be ashamed of the thought. And it's a very good thing she didn't hear Ezra insult Mithril, or else the sorceress would be currently receiving a faceful of indignant rogue.

But Natalia returned to hear Shiny's speech and Kurt's response, and so she adds, "Maybe we should deliver the food after the siege, when there's no danger to the supplies. But Kurt, remember back in the caves by Linwood? When Miriam made you huge and you stood in the chokepoint and mowed down every orc in your way? Even if the orcs know we're coming after we get inside, they won't have time to know what we're doing, because of those steel doors in the way. Though how we'll open them is the problem. If wonder if they can be opened from a remote location? That would make things much easier, and opens up a whole new set of ideas."

Natalia shakes her head and goes back on topic."We could bring some food with us--a few hundred pounds stored in my bag of holding, enough to keep them from starving, and that could buy us a day or two to plan. And trap. You know I'm good with traps. We can turn the fight to our terms. We can rig boulders to fall, set caltrops to slow down charges, maybe poison them to weaken the horde a bit more--do you guys have any poison on you, by the way?--set crossbow tripwires to soften them up, dig pits and lay spikes below them. And maybe...well, you know what's in my bag, though I don't want to use them up." The rogue's fingers are flying in the air at her ideas.

"By the time the orcs reach us, at the narrowest point in the tunnel, so narrow they may have to march single file, they'll be battered and wounded and maybe poisoned. And then they meet you, and me, and Soshima, and Deldon, and maybe you guys too. They'll meet our blades and they'll meet our spells. We need to turn the terrain to our advantage, like with the chokepoint you made back in the caves. But we need time to set the traps, and we need to tell them we're coming so they can open the door.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Firbolg in the Playground

"I could inform the dwarves, I researched a spell recently that lets me travel through walls and across a small distance. Unless you wish to do it Ezra, seeing as you don't need to try." Mithril was smarting from Ezra's comment. She had spent her whole life studying magic, and this other woman wasn't even willing to tell her why she had a different practice?
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt's shaking his head a little by the end of Natalia's speech, though he looks frustrated about having to. "The problem is that Deldon needs the supplies now. If we don't manage to break the siege, if we can't force them to attack us, then the supplies will be left here, useless. We can't leave them behind, it'd be too risky, we'd be setting ourselves up to starve with the rest of the mine."

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Natalia shakes her head and goes back on topic."We could bring some food with us--a few hundred pounds stored in my bag of holding, enough to keep them from starving, and that could buy us a day or two to plan. And trap. You know I'm good with traps. We can turn the fight to our terms. We can rig boulders to fall, set caltrops to slow down charges, maybe poison them to weaken the horde a bit more--do you guys have any poison on you, by the way?--set crossbow tripwires to soften them up, dig pits and lay spikes below them. And maybe...well, you know what's in my bag, though I don't want to use them up." The rogue's fingers are flying in the air at her ideas.

"By the time the orcs reach us, at the narrowest point in the tunnel, so narrow they may have to march single file, they'll be battered and wounded and maybe poisoned. And then they meet you, and me, and Soshima, and Deldon, and maybe you guys too. They'll meet our blades and they'll meet our spells. We need to turn the terrain to our advantage, like with the chokepoint you made back in the caves. But we need time to set the traps, and we need to tell them we're coming so they can open the door.
    Brander frowns. "I'm with the dwarf. Once we're in there without supplies, what's to stop the orcs from just continuing their siege for a few more weeks? Why would they bother attacking?"
    Thanks to CoffeeIncluded for the avatar of Shiny, from the Eldgar campaign:

IC V Against the Current IC VI Stormy Seas.

Current Map

6. - Top - End - #336

"We could force their hand, or make them think that the siege is broken. They'll swoop in for the kill and fall right into our traps."
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-08-27 at 11:27 AM.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    "We could force their hand, or make them think that the siege is broken. They'll swoop in for the kill and fall right into our traps."
    Brander scratches his head. "How do you expect us to force a tribe of near a thousand orcs to attack? Or make 'em think the siege is broken when they're the ones holding it?"

Current Map

8. - Top - End - #338

"Suddenly have the doors open. Or...Shiny, do you have any ideas? Any spells that could help?" She's good at mechanical traps, not this kind of trickery.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

Brander raises an eyebrow. "Siege or no siege, how do you think the dwarves of Deldon will feel about opening the doors and inviting in an invasion?"

Shiny shrugs. "I got nothing, Natalia."

Current Map

10. - Top - End - #340
    Firbolg in the Playground

"That's why I suggested I use my spell. I get in there, maybe bring one or two others along and we make a two pronged attack. Drive the orcs into the tunnel and slaughter them from both ends. If we focus in one area it shouldn't be to hard.
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    To stay true to the game, Miriam will not participate in the strategic discussion given how she is feeling right now.

So I will stay away from the conversation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

12. - Top - End - #342

"I have a spell that can turn myself into mist, and I can cast it twice," Natalia adds, visibly upset at the failure of her idea but going along. "So between the two of us, we can bring three people along to go inside. Two of them should be Kurt and Miriam, so they can do their giant juggernaut strategy. Also Kurt's the only one who can see in the dark."
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-08-27 at 11:38 AM.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt scratches his beard a bit, thinking about it. "So we go in and let the dwarves know it's time to attack, and then they open the gates and we crush that one?"

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #344

"Unless we can find a way to get in touch with them remotely and beforehand..." Natalia pauses, then looks up sharply. "They said the clerics cast a spell to maintain contact with people over long distances. Do you think Miriam's able to cast that spell too?"

Spoiler
    Show
    admiral, please tell me if this isn't appropriate. Also, can the doors be opened remotely?

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt shrugs a bit, glancing over at the hunched over cleric. "She never has before, and now isn't the time to find out...we'll ask later."

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #346

Natalia frowns. "I'm not so sure about that. I don't want to get into specifics but she's worried about how useful or helpful she is. If she can cast this spell, and it's something only she can do, that may help her feel better. Though..." she trails off. If being the only one who can help in other Ways isn't enough...

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt shakes his head again, looking over at Miriam. "She needs her time to talk to her god. After that, maybe...right now she needs something we can't give her...maybe he can't either, but she's the only one who can."

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #348

Natalia looks back at Miriam. "I guess. I hope."

With a sigh she turns back to the group. "How are we going to bring in the carts of food through a sealed gate?"

19. - Top - End - #349
    Troll in the Playground

"Their message made that clear," says Brander. "If we bang on the door three times and shout a code phrase, they'll open for us. They've got arrow slots in the wall above the doors, anyway: if there's a commotion outside they'll open them and see what's coming."

Current Map

20. - Top - End - #350

"But isn't it a mile between the tunnel doors and Deldon itself? And are you sure we can get in before the orcs find us?" She turns to Mithril. "Hang on. If we do this, then there's no need for us to use spells to get in at all.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wait, so are we all going in or are only some of us going in? I'm confused.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

As the planning goes on, Miriam is to the side, prostrated, her face in her hands as she tries to stop crying. Her prayers to St. Cuthbert has gone silent again and Natalia words are slicing her mind. She does not want to doubt but right now her pain is too strong for her to be rational.

She opens her eyes and looks into the sun until the light is too bright and she feels blinded. As she sees stars and dark spots everywhere, a memory comes back to her.

She is preparing the fire to cook the rabbit that Calric caught. She has trouble betting the branches to lit and starts a prayer. Calric looks at her with a totally annoyed look "Miriam, are you praying for St. Cuthbert's help?"

Miriam nods. Calric gets up visibly upset. "Simple farm girl who knows nothing, when will you learn? I understand you know nothing but are you too stupid to learn? How many times I have told you that the gods only intervene with major planar issues are involved? How many times stupid Miriam? I told you and I am telling you again that the gods give you divine magic to deal with day to day issues. Do not waste their time with mundane requests. They have shown they care by channeling divine magic through you. That shows that you are important to them. So when you are in doubt, look into yourself for the answers and not to the gods. And if sometimes, the situation makes no sense and the gods don't give you a sign, it is because they are teaching you a lesson. Hopefully you will be not stupid enough to miss it."

He gets up and easily starts the fire. "Now, you cook me that rabbit and as a lesson, I want you to sit on your hand and watch me eat. After, you will clean up, wash me and if you are worthy, I might give you a son tonight."

Miriam shivers at the memory, forever thanks the old cook at the church who taught her how to make moonlight tea. Her vision has returned and she can see the group discussing. She is jealous of them because they know their roles and are happy. They do not have the drama in their lives like she had. However, as she thinks about her friends, clearer thoughts appears in her mind. "Stop feeling sorry for yourself Miriam. It hurts but you were worn. His son looks like Him. You choose if you want to let you do that own you or if you can have your friends protect you. You have warned them. They know you can turn on them if you see Him. None of them ran away. Quite the contrary. They will protect you. So the decision will be yours. It was always yours."

She thinks again about Calric's words and looks inside herself. Yes the magic is still there so Ct. Cuthbert still care. But something feel different. The magic is there and yet more powerful as if St. Cuthbert judge her worthy of more. Whatever the lesson is, she does not know but she somehow must be learning.

She tries to visualize the new magic. Can she raise the dead? No. Can she really heal all conditions? No. Can she transfer a spell to someone? Yes. Can she send a short message to someone she knows? Yes. Can she speaks unspeakable language? Yes. The solution is here. But what is it?

She gets up and her eyes are puffy and her hair disheveled and she approaches the group. She listens in silence at the strategic discussion. Finally she whispers in Natalia's ear. "I think St. Cuthbert gave me the divine power to help us with the siege but I am not sure which spell would work."
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #352

Natalia sighs in relief as Miriam returns. She replies, "Maybe. The bigges tproblem is that we can't tell Deldon any details. They said the clerics keep in contact with a long range messaging spell. Can you cast that too?"

Spoiler
    Show
    sorry about the long wait! Still heading to classes.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam thinks for a while, her mind still clouded. Finally she commits.

"I think I can cast something similar. I feel that St. Cuthbert would let me send a message, a short one of 20 or 25 words to anyone I am familiar with. But sadly, I do not know anyone in Deldon....."
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #354

Natalia grins. That's perfect! Well, except for the k owing them bit. "Well, Dresden said he lived there for a while. Though he's with us now. Maybe he can tell you who to send it to. Though how familiar is familiar enough for the spell to work?"

Spoiler
    Show
    admiral, am I being too metagamey here?

25. - Top - End - #355

Natalia looks back at everyone and asks, "I don't know, would it be better if we went over a plan of attack once we actually got inside Deldon? And for that, I do like Shiny's plan. Though we should probably distract the orcs to go on the opposite tunnel were entering, like distract them into swarming the west tunnel while we enter the east tunnel. What do you think?"

Spoiler
    Show
    just wanted to get the ball rolling after I stalled it.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-08-29 at 06:23 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

"Assuming they want to...yes, it would be better - we'd know so much more about the attackers and the defenders, we might be able to make a proper plan. If you can talk to them Miriam, well then, that'd be great. But maybe some of us show go on, too, so we can coordinate better?"

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #357

Natalia raises her hand. "I'll go. I want to see the inside of these tunnels for myself. And I feel I'd be helping out more if I went with all of you."

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam looks indecisive and insecure. ".. I never cast that spell ..... and I do not know anyone in Deldon ... We need that .... "

She turns to Natalia "May be a dwarf like Kurt or Dresden would make more sense .... and having a healer is probably more important than a rogue satisfying her curiosity .... "

She stops and looks at her sandals "I don;t know ... I have a really bad feeling about that ...."
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #359

biggrin Re: IC VI Stormy Seas

Natalia shakes her head. "You may not know anyone but Dresden does. Could he tell you who to send to?"

She frowns at Miriam's other comment. "I won't get in the way! And besides, aren't we just knocking and walking in? Everyone can enter then.

I...I don't get in the way, do I?"

Spoiler
    Show
    arent we just knocking And walking in? No spells?
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-08-30 at 07:36 AM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam's eyes do not leave the ground as she replies to Natalia "I am not sure what your plan is. All I know is I can somehow help through communication. I would defer to Kurt and Dresden and Mithril. They are military trained and she is such a smart wizard. I am just a simple cleric ......."

Miriam looks very sheepish and insecure.
    Spoiler
    Show