New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: IC VI Stormy Seas

Natalia frowns again. She doesn't know what to make of that. They did it to save the soldiers from being eaten, but...

Instead she says, "Yes...help dwarves."

She shakes her head and asks Mithril, "Can we...need to ask? Talk?" as they pack and ready to leave.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-08-08 at 04:49 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam shakes her head at Natalia "You are wrong Little One on this subject. Listen to Kurt. When I was fighting with the Crusaders, I hated the orcs. Not because they were evil but simply because they were orcs. And I thanked St. Cuthbert that they came. And when it was down to the last pups fighting, I made no effort to save them. No Natalia, I am not better than them. I know that and I do not know much but I know that."

EDIT: "Good idea Kurt. Let's get moving and may be save a few lives."

She grabs her staff and is ready to go.
    Last edited by achinca; 2013-08-08 at 05:26 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Upon finishing their conversation, the party heads to the eastern ridge of Soshima. On a hill there await the contingent of twenty four samurai that will join them on the journey, along with the three newly freed prisoners, the armorer having already returned their weapons and outfits. The slavers stand a bit to the side, appearing a bit wary of their new freedom.

Twelve of the samurai are yellow belts; no surprise as these make up the majority of the camp's army. Miriam had learned in her discussions with the soldiers that once a soldier receives his yellow belt, he is often sent away on some mission such as this to gain experience before continuing his training, as true experience far outweighs training or tournaments. Six more are orange belts, known as sergeants, whose duty it is to coordinate the less senior soldiers in battle. Four more are green belts, or second lieutenants. Among them the party recognizes Ash, Firefeather on his arm, who greets the party with a silent nod. Miriam also recognizes the green-belted Luther, on whose horse Miriam had ridden into battle. A dark-skinned human with a wide smile and determined eyes, he had fought like a whirlwind in battle. Miriam had saved his life with her healing more than once. The other two green belts are dwarves.

The party sees two soldiers at the lead: a blue belted human, whom they recognize from the Horde battle, and a purple belted dwarf, whom they recognized as one of the toughest fighters from the tournament. But only as they ride closer do they see the other two samurai who are to travel with them, riders so small they had been hidden behind the horse. A pair of halflings clad in breastplates and blue belts ride a pair of large, silver-coated dogs, chatting and laughing with each other as they wait. The resemblance between the two is obvious even at a distance.

As the party approaches, the purple-belted dwarf at the front rides up to them. "Reckon you'll be the one's we're takin' to Deldon?" he asks gruffly. "Ones who refuse to travel unless yer luggin' a coupla slavers around with ye?"

He coughs for a moment, then shakes his head clear. "In any case... I'm Captain Dresden, and my men and I are under yer command."
    Last edited by Admiral; 2013-08-08 at 07:05 PM.
    Thanks to CoffeeIncluded for the avatar of Shiny, from the Eldgar campaign:

IC V Against the Current IC VI Stormy Seas.

Current Map

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

"With or without them, I don't care. As long as we get there safely."

Spoiler
    Show
    Hehe, Dresden. I know it probably was a joke, but him being a dwarf and therefore rather Hairy. Hairy Dresden
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

5. - Top - End - #95

Natalia smiles. She feels a bit better. "Know what of road to Deldon?"

At some point she motions to Mithril, asking if they can talk in private.

Spoiler
    Show
    The talk can happen whenever there's a chance.

6. - Top - End - #96

Mithril nodded, and pulled Honey over toward Natalia.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt frowns a little, but shrugs - it's not like the man is wrong. "How long will it take?" He indicates to the former prisoners to join them and ride near him, handing each a small pouch with 100 gold pieces in it as they ride past him. His greatsword hangs from his saddle, easily reached if he needs it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

8. - Top - End - #98

Natalia starts fidgeting, playing her hands across Rust's reins. "It...about before. On the ship, and after. What I did. Without your thought. I..." She flushes pink, and turns away. Two things, really, but both born from the same emotion.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

"Orders are to ride due east to Bellville, two and a half days from here. Sounds like that's where the caravan of supplies is, the one we'll have to get through. From there it's a day's ride to Deldon, but that'll be the trickiest part- that's where the orcs have their siege."

Current Map

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt nods, indicating to the samurai it would be okay with them to talk while they ride. "What kind of a siege is it? What kind of camp do they have?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

11. - Top - End - #101

"The ship? With the lizardmen? What of it?"

12. - Top - End - #102

Natalia shakes her head. "The orcs. Where...Though I would maybe die is why..."

13. - Top - End - #103

"It's..okay. I understand. It was scary, we were all scared. Don't worry, I am not mad." Mithril reached over and touched Natalia's arm, mouth shaping words as she pinched her fingers together.

"I trust you."

14. - Top - End - #104

Natalia looks down at her arm, at Mithril's hand resting on it. Her eyes travel up the mage's arm to rest on her face.

"I...I...Thank you. So much," she says, relief washing over her. She was terrified, that Mithril would want nothing to do with her after that.

"And...and I trust you. To be there, help me. There for me. Always open, not hiding."

She looks up, "Did...did you..."

And then her cheeks color, and, tapping her fingers together awkwardly, she turns away.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-08-08 at 08:04 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105

"Oh, sorry." Mithril pulled her hand away. "Don't worry, it's not the Hooded Ones voice. It does work both ways though, and I can't read thoughts, just send them."

16. - Top - End - #106

Natalia's eyes widen. This...You just talked to me? With your thoughts instead of your speech?

I trust you. You said that. You mean that. I'm not sure what to say to that. I'm not sure what to think to that.
    And indeed, her thoughts scatter into a thousand different directions at that, none with more than a few words and disjointed emotions, albeit ones that send peace and a fluttering heart at the same time

Mithril, I...I'm sorry about the kiss. I know you said you had no want for anything beyond friendship. I was just so scared, so afraid I was going to die. And even though I wouldn't ask for anything more, I don't think I should have done that.

And with Shiro, I was afraid then too. You saw what he did to me. I didn't want to let him anywhere near you, because all I could think of was what happened in the cave with the choker. You nearly died, Mithril. You didn't see what you looked like, but...
    She tries to suppress the mental image, but only does a partial job. I nearly lost you! I nearly lost you and just the thought hurt so damn much! Mithril can feel the crack in her thoughts.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-08-08 at 08:22 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

"You? You made sense." Mithril was glad Honey was taking care of the movement, because if they had been walking she would have just stopped.

As Natalia went on Mithril wished she could hug the girl. I told you, it is fine. I understand fear, fear... is a motivator for instinct. And you are right, about the choker. About Shiro. I did put myself in danger, and I know that fear. You remember when Whiskers, when he changed. I know that fear.

And I fear for you, whenever you disappear to Shiny's spells to find more information. When you just disappeared....

But while fear is okay, I let you go. Maybe I shouldn't be walking into dark caves or toward madmen so readily. But I make these choices by myself,and thus must learn from mistakes, not lessons.

18. - Top - End - #108

"Nutspeak, not Nutthink. And as for Shiny...Isn't this...disappearing to his spells too?" she says with a bit of a smile, before slipping back into her thoughts.

The truth is I was more afraid of losing you than myself. I...was in a dark place for a while. I'm out of there now, but sometimes I look over my shoulder and see it again. Or just look up. It's...it's hard to explain.

When I was taken, and escaped, you, you and Shiny and Miriam and Kurt and Valen, were my motivation for getting back. You kept me going long after I should have passed out and died from the spider venom. So I owe my life to you. Several times over. I'd be rotting in the woods now if not for you. Or be eaten by giants.

But Mithril...I know it's your choice to walk into danger, but...I wouldn't dare do anything to myself now, because I know how much it would hurt you all. And I love you too much to hurt you like that. So please, when you put yourself in danger, well, I know it sounds corny, but it hurts me too, and it hurts everyone else. What's that saying? When you cut, I bleed?

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

The army begins to march east- thirty two men and women in all. Right now they're traveling along a simple dirt road, which they've heard will lead only to the edge of the Soshiman territory, about half a dozen miles away. The town of Soshima begins to recede behind them.

The dwarf captain responds to Kurt's question. "See, what I unnerstand, most of what we know in Soshima comes from some magic messages passed along by the Church, where every word counts- my way of sayin' we don't have all the tactical info as we'd like. We know there are at least a few hunnerd orcs- what you'd find anyplace the Horde's got an interest- but that they're a bit spread out."

"See, there are three entrances to the fortress, separated by long unnerground tunnels, and from what I hear when they sent the caravan down they thought one of the entrances was a secret. But the orcs musta found out about it, cuz now they can't get through. But that means they're guarding three doors, each about a mile apart, so mebbe we can take one of 'em. But no doubt they'll have patrols all 'round, and if one sounds the horn the buggers'll come running..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Try and forgive me if I'm inconsistent with the dwarf captain's accent. Please just accept he has one- one roughly in the vicinity of Ireland or southwestern England.

Current Map

20. - Top - End - #110

Mithril looked down, embarassed. I know it hurts you, all of you. But I can't promise, not always. Shiro never hurt me, he was scared that is all. I need to put myself in danger sometimes, to learn.

21. - Top - End - #111

Even if that's true, do you have to put yourself in danger alone? Isn't research done in groups, with many people working together? What do you need to learn, to risk your life like that?

She clasps her hands over Mithril's and looks up, straight into her eyes. Please. If you're going into danger, if you want to put yourself at risk to learn...at least, please, please don't do it alone.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-08-08 at 11:50 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt nods at the commander's words, recognising the difficulties in communication being experienced by them, but internally cursing the challenge it poses.

"So what do you think we should our best plan is? " He's considering it himself as they march, how to attack a place like that. It seems like it should be doable...the force is strong, strong enough to overwhelm them if they're not careful, but still...spread out. If only there were a way to signal the dwarves to attack from the entrance they want to use at the same time they do.
    Last edited by Cavelcade; 2013-08-09 at 08:19 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam notices that Mithril and Natalia and touching hands and looking at each other and not talking. She smiles thinking "Could it be that finally Mithril returns Natalia's feeling?"

She approaches the samurais and hugs the ones she recognizes. She smiles at the dark skinned man, glad he fully recovered.

She hugs Luther last and asks him "Sir Luther, would you mind letting me share your saddle once again? It brought us luck last time as we won and both came back."
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

24. - Top - End - #114

Mithril, I know that you want to explore, and learn. And I don't want to tie you back. So please, let me go with you, and do what I can to keep you alive and safe. And I think...I think I'd feel the same way even if I didn't have these feelings for you. She touches Mithril's hand, lightly. Because I want you safe.

She leans back, listening in to the conversation between Kurt and the samurai. Hmm, Mithril, I think I may know a couple of ways to get inn, using the same sneaking, trickery, and subterfuge that we did before. But, well, I can't exactly tell them. Is this mental link spell limited to only two people? Can they hear us with their...own...spell... She trails off, and Mithril can hear Natalia's mental thought process grind to a halt. Some new idea's seized her.

25. - Top - End - #115

Thank you. And only two people. There is another version of the spell, at least I assume, but seeing as I could barely understand this one I didn't want to go looking for one that was no doubt more complicated.

Mithril thought for a second, before laughing. This speech problem of yours. It is, at least for some, like you hale from a far of land and still have the vernacular of the place about you, is it not? I learned a spell to communicate with those who knew other tongues, but it may work for you. We could give it a try tonight, see if it works.

26. - Top - End - #116

Natalia's eyes widen. That might work. But it might not. I don't know if I'd call my impediment a dialect. But if it does...Mithril, you mean so much to me.

She frowns. That voice Shiny heard inside the Hooded guy back in Linwood. Do you think he's able to communicate telepathically with several people at once? Like a thought-speech network? That way he'd be able to coordinate with orcs, ogres, and giants all at the same time.

Say...why did you pick now to try out this mindlink spell?
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-08-09 at 07:33 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117

Well hopefully it works. I doubt that they use this spell, I have to be close by the people to cast it and it doesn't last that long. But maybe he found some super powerful version, but I doubt it. And... well you said you wanted to talk privately. Can't think of more private than this, now can I? Mithril dodged the question, trying to keep cool.

28. - Top - End - #118

I guess. Mithril, are you feeling okay?

Natalia looks down, gives Mithril a little half-quirked smile. You're right, there's not much more private than this. Though I've got to say, you definitely surprised me. Say...what if I didn't want to talk to you like this? What would have happened then? The note in Natalia's voice is one of genuine curiosity.

29. - Top - End - #119

I would have dismissed the spell. I thought it would be okay, I guess I took a risk. She quirked a smile, remembering their past conversation. And I feel fine, tired but otherwise fine.

30. - Top - End - #120

Natalia laughs, the first loud sound she's made in several minutes. It wasn't really a risk with me. I'll always let you in. Though man, imagine if there were a spell that didn't care. Or a caster that didn't care. Can you imagine how scary it would be, having someone worm their way into your mind and whisper awful things into your ear, day in and day out? You get enough of that from the outside, never mind within! Maybe we should make some sort of contingency plan, just in case something like that happens!

But Natalia clearly doesn't seem too serious, as she rides over and offers a shoulder and arm for Mithril to rest against. Eh, don't mind me. I'm just being silly. I know you'll never do anything like that.

Is...do you need anything? I've got to say, I'm pretty exhausted myself. Well, more guilty than anything else.