New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Default Re: Things I'm Not Allowed To Do While Gaming

1310. Always tell your party members of any information you know, that they probably do not know. Even if you're withholding the information in the hopes that the situation can be resolved peacefully, because it usually can't.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's fun being CN. It let's you run away to save your own skin. :-)

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Hey, there are no alignments that prohibit running to save your own skin.

There are just a few that require taking your allies with you when you run, thus saving all of your skins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

That was me poking fun at the "But I'm ____" argument. I guess N would have been a better choice. Oh well.
    "Yes, I am shaking in my omnipotent boots at their new outfits. I am helpless against the powers of fashion."

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Werebear View Post
    Hey, there are no alignments that prohibit running to save your own skin.

There are just a few that require taking your allies with you when you run, thus saving all of your skins.

Aaaaaaaahhhhh, yes. The old, "You don't have to be faster than your enemies, just faster than your slowest friend," gambit. Most of my more lightly-armored characters are well versed in that one ...

Bwaha! I have deep-seated emotional problems! Die! Die! Die!

Games Workshop: Miniatures First. Rules Second. Clarity Last

6. - Top - End - #216

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by grinner666 View Post
    Aaaaaaaahhhhh, yes. The old, "You don't have to be faster than your enemies, just faster than your slowest friend," gambit. Most of my more lightly-armored characters are well versed in that one ...

Especially when you make your friends slower. A Chaotic Evil character I had a while back hamstrung a henchman while running so he and his friends could escape a huge group of angry animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Mauril Everleaf View Post
    i totally disagree with this one. i play in a campaign where we use major and minor alignments, wherein im major chaotic and minor neutral, which means that if its not random its probably not in character. so "im cn" is totally a good excuse.
    Well, if you take Chaotic to be random and Lawful to be predictable, and you take alignment to be a force that determines characters' actions, then yes, "I'm Chaotic Neutral" can be a valid explanation for your character's behavior. If, on the other hand, you take Chaotic to be rebellious, innovative, and/or dishonest and Lawful to be obedient, traditional and/or honest, and alignment to be a description of your character's nature rather than something that dictates his choices, then no, "I'm Chaotic Neutral" is, by itself, very much not sufficient explanation.

In short: "But I'm CN" can be a valid explanation... if you use an alignment system that works completely different from the RAW alignment system.

And even then, it may not be a good excuse. Just because your character's insane behavior can be put down to his alignment doesn't mean that his party will put up with him acting that way, nor that your gaming group will tolerate you playing such a disruptive character. Differing alignment systems aside, it's like saying, "But I'm a reckless lunatic!" If anything, pointing out that the particular stupid thing you just did is only one example of your general pattern of stupid behavior is going to make others less favorably inclined towards you.

Now, if the character isn't disruptive, then there's no problem. But in that case there was nothing that needed excusing in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

8. - Top - End - #218

actually, if it was out of line with my character, it needs an excuse. if its in line with my character, no excuse needed.
    if my character always decides to buy a bushel of fruit at the market before we go anywhere, because he thinks that he may contract scurvy if he doesnt, then when i buy 4 gold worth of oranges, i dont need to explain but once to my fellow players why he does that. however if for 12 levels hes never ever eating a piece of fruit, then decides to start buying up all the bananas that he sees, that requires some explaining.
    also chaotic as a whole doesnt really mean that you are insane, however chaotic neutral does imply it. heck, in older editions, chaotic neutral players had a 25% chance of being psychopathic.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Pixie in the Playground

1311. When DMing, making a recurring set of demons based on Lordi who sing their songs whenever they appear is not acceptable just because I have them all on my iPod.
    1311a. Bringing Back the Balls to Rock *is* acceptable, however. But only once.
    1312. While DMing, I cannot create a set of recurring Bard NPCs who follow the PCs playing atmospheric background music. *I* can play atmospheric background music, but it cannot be heard in-game.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

1312: I cannot hire Pun Pun

1313: Nor can I create a guild of Pun Puns.

1314: Unless I bribe the DM.
    "I reject your reality, and subsitute my own" -Adam Savage

11. - Top - End - #221
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mauril Everleaf View Post
    if my character always decides to buy a bushel of fruit at the market before we go anywhere, because he thinks that he may contract scurvy if he doesnt, then when i buy 4 gold worth of oranges, i dont need to explain but once to my fellow players why he does that. however if for 12 levels hes never ever eating a piece of fruit, then decides to start buying up all the bananas that he sees, that requires some explaining.
    Sorry to be off-topic and sorry if my comment accidentally kills a catgirl, somewhere...

But bananas will rapidly spoil in a ship and don't have enough vitamin C to stave off scurvy.

Oranges will work just fine, though... They keep better and have better ammounts of vitamin C... Lemons, Limes, or Tamarinds would be even better.

...but Thuja leaves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuja) would be best, as they can be kept dry and made into a Tea that contains 50 mg of vitamin C per 100 grams.

Of course you would have to convince your DM that such a plant exists in the world and that a seafaring civilization has discovered its effects, and that it is readily available...

too many ifs, but if your are munchkin enough..
    -

Is it evil, Evil, Evil or EVIL?
    Expanded Alignment Rules (PEACH)

-

Playing a Paladin? Don't fall into the traps of casuistry or excessive rigourism!

Instead of that, read Peregrine's lesson

-

"It's almost like the universe is trying to deliberately force some form of arbitrary equality between those of us who can reshape matter with our thoughts and those who cannot!"

12. - Top - End - #222

Quote Originally Posted by Godhand View Post
    1306. Actually, referencing anything from Monty Python is bad form. (It's a dead horse parrot people, let it go.)
    Fixed. :D

For the record, a 5th level priest can cast Remove Disease. So, if a nation tricks the right man into the contract, he might be cheaper than a barrel of oranges. (Or he could just manufacture a load of Remove Disease scrolls).
    — Nicolaos of Aepternacos

13. - Top - End - #223
    Halfling in the Playground

1315. The bard, under no circumstances, may use inspire competence by singing "I'm To Sexy".
    1316. Especially when that bard is a half-orc.
    1317. My drunken master may not use a +3 holy dragonbane barstool. Ever.
    1318. You're not going to be a lawful good drow necromancer, no matter how good your back story is.
    1319. No, being neutral won't help either.
    1320. If you are a druid, being a warforged is entirely out of the question.
    1321. No monk, and I mean NO MONK, will ever be named "Chuck Norris", "Tony Ja", Or any other combination of these words.
    1322. There is no "Mighty Morphing Power Ranger" prestige class.
    1323. Warforged Bards way never do "the robot", no matter how many Perform ranks he has.
    Favorite D&D Supplement: Complete Warrior

My Current Characters:

Spoiler
    Show
    Berius Ebonleaf
    CN High Elf Beguiler/Swashbuckler/Bladesinger

Aurion Dunlore
    CG Human Fighter/Bard/Warchanter (Gestalt)

CARPE DM!
    "Seize the Dungeon Master!"

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

1324. Never go to the bathroom in game.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Halfling in the Playground

1325 - The DM going to the bathroom doesn't give you a +999 circumstance bonus on rolling a natural 20 on escaping a trap set by the combined powers of every evil god.

1326 - Don't flail your arms around while attacking in game. You're not playing the Wii, and you dokn't want to damage anyone... Do you?
    Hoist the Colours High!
    Spoiler
    Show
    The king and his men
    stole the queen from her bed
    and bound her in her Bones.
    The seas be ours
    and by the powers
    where we will we'll roam.

Yo, ho, haul together,
    hoist the colors high.
    Heave ho, thieves and beggars,
    never say we die.

Don't you dare click the period.

16. - Top - End - #226

1327 - I am not allowed to make the Kobold dance....
    1328 - Even if I am the DM and can do whatever i want....
    1329 - Even if I am the wizard and cast Irresistable Dance ....
    1330 - Even if I am the kobold and just want to danc....
    1331 - Under no circumstances is the kobold to dance......

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

^why not? i like my gypsy kobold bard with performance (dance)

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

1332- Any plan that involves a Helm of Brilliance and a Wand of Fireballs is not 'totally awesome'

1333- I don't care how many ranks you have in Profession(Chef): you will not win over the CE God of Death with a well made soufflé

19. - Top - End - #229

1334: Breastplates may never be referred to as "boobplates" ever again.
    1335: Especially if a female is within earshot, in-game or in real life.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

1336: Just because the rogue always does his absolute best to twist the truth doesn't mean I always have to talk like I'm interogating a baatezu.
    1337: 7y|>1/\/6 l1|<3 7|-|15 is forbidden under all circumstances other then to communicate that it is forbidden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winged One View Post
    1337: 7y|>1/\/6 l1|<3 7|-|15 is forbidden under all circumstances other then to communicate that it is forbidden.
    You did that on purpose, didn't you.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes. Yes I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winged One View Post

I don't get it. Oh, and...

1338. I may not have ranks in knowledge (DM's weakness).

The amazing Zonac's Dance Troupe!

Join The Cookie Revolution! Register Now!
    (I don't know how to add links in a sig)

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

1339: "But I'm a gnome!" is never an acceptable excuse for making exploding inventions.

1340: The gnome race does NOT get a bonus to Craft: Explosives.

1341: And especially not Craft: Doomsday Device.

1342: Unless it's the DM's recurring villian, in which case it's required.

1343: Not allowed to declare a crusade against "ugly people."

1344: Not even as a paladin of Sune or Wee Jass.

1345: There will be no selling party members to the dragon.

1346: Not even if the dragon is just a teenage emo dragon who wants your party member for "just a few hours."

25. - Top - End - #235

DON'T ASK!

1347 - I will not throw the human wizard...
    1348 - ...even if that did kill the shade.
    1349 - I will not use human ribs as weapons...
    1350 - ...nor elven ones for that matter.
    1351 - I must always specify what type of chest...
    1351a - especially if there is some confusion as to type.*
    1352 - I must resist throwing the human mercenary's dead body...
    1353 - ...even if it does kill the other mercenary.
    1354 - I must not use the wine we found in the kitchen as an explosive starter...
    1355 - regardless of how powerful it is.
    1356 - I must never use a flaming mercenary corpse to lock the door...
    1356a - especially with ribs as nails.
    1357 - Never, under any circumstances, drag the warforged fighter out of the room and preform number 1356.

*Organic or non-organic.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

1358) I am not allowed to trap the souls of my fellow PC's into gems and use these gems as a bribe to subjugate a Pit Fiend to my will.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Pixie in the Playground

341. I don't care what you roll on your swim check, you cannot attempt a swim check while wearing full plate mail.
    Historically, people were able to run full-speed, swim, duck, and jump while decked out in full plate-mail armour. In fact, a well-made suit of plate weighed a mere forty pounds, while a modern-day soldier carries into combat over two hundred pounds of equipment. :)

1359 - No longer allowed to activate "Shocking Grasp" and then shake the hand of the lone traveler who just got done dueling our fighter.
    1310 - The Gnome is no longer allowed to attack the Dire Wolf in the testicles with his dart-gun, even if he does roll another two natural twenties on a row.
    1341 - The Paladin is never again allowed to dual-wield bastard swords enchanted by Heironeous himself while himself transformed into the twenty-foot tall avatar of his god.
    1342 - The party is not allowed to initiate a hostile takeover of the city utilizing previously unfriendly pirates, an army of beggars, and escaped prisoners while the Paladin is sleeping.
    1343 - The next time the party mistakes the prison on the map for a plaza, let it stay; the pirates and beggars were enough.
    1344 - Auto-success tied to a natural twenty no longer applies when rolling bluff checks to get the dragon to believe that it hasn't given you your reward yet.
    1345 - No more blowing holes in the top of the very expensive hotel just to get back at the undead and decapitated evil ranger, even if it does deal over a hundred damage to the vicious giant thing summoned by the evil cultist.
    1346 - Cannot create a "to-buy" list including four horses, a carriage, four repeating crossbows, and metal sheets.
    Last edited by Pip L; 2007-01-01 at 12:25 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

1347) No matter how high my Bluff modifier, I cannot convince the vampire that he's being turned by brandishing a bottle of Reisling and invoking the name of Dionysus.
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.
    Homebrew 3.5 base class: The Iron Chef

29. - Top - End - #239
    Firbolg in the Playground

1348) I cannot kill a paladin by summoning a pipe organ with summon instrument. Not even if the paladin is overly annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

1349) A piano, however, is dramatically appropriate and will be allowed.
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.
    Homebrew 3.5 base class: The Iron Chef