New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Iron Poet XIX

1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Poet XIX

Alright folks! Final day! Good luck to everyone, especially the judges!

Spoiler
    Show
    These poems are excellent!
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

2. - Top - End - #152
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Gah, sorry about not having judgments up yet. I had a baby last week and things have been a bit hectic. I'll get them up this weekend though.

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alarra View Post
    Gah, sorry about not having judgments up yet. I had a baby last week and things have been a bit hectic. I'll get them up this weekend though.
    OH MY GOSH! BABEH! Congratulations! Also, looking forward to judgements! Now to track down the other two.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wowza! Congratulations!!

Also,

a bit hectic
    I imagine that this is an understatement that qualifies you for some kind of award.
    Last edited by Dr Bwaa; 2014-02-13 at 02:07 PM.
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

I think you just won the very first Iron Understatement contest.

Congratulations and go mother the hell out of that baby. We're patient people.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

My apologies, folks. I didn't even have a baby. I just had regular-person busy. Once again, thank you to all the poets for putting up such great work. It was interesting and challenging work critiquing them all.

ROUND TWO

Cuthalion vs. Dr.Bwaa
    Spoiler
    Show

Cuthalion
    untitled

Spoiler
    Show
    I had mixed feelings about this piece. First off, the container is good. You strike a very pleasant, languid, elegiac tone that I think matches the material well. And although I can't say for certain exactly why, I felt the unsual rhyme scheme was quite complimentary as well.

Where I felt it was lacking was in the story. The narrative flow of the piece that brings it from a beginning to an end. You have pieces of the story there, hints of movemement, but instead of feeling minimalizt (which is what I'm guessing you were going for), it feels incomplete. If I hadn't seen the prompt I'm not sure I would have gotten much out of it.

It's always been my contention that the piece should be inspired by the prompt but not dependant upon it. If you showed the poem to someone who hasn't seen it, it should stand for them just as strong as it does for us.

And I know that's not everyone's opinion.

I don't have any suggestions as to how to fix it. A few more stanzas, drawing out the character a little more, wouldn't have been out of place. A little more movement from candle-light-beauty to heart-sore-staring-yearning. And I think a little more material would have made that off-kilter rhyme scheme earn its keep a little more.

But that sounds like I think it sucked. It didn't. It was a good, solid, effective piece. But I think a little more concentration on the implied narrative might have really made it shine.

Dr. Bwaa
    Heavy is a Halo
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is a serious thing you have here. It must have taken a lot of work and it shows a dedication to detail that is admirable. So don't let anything I say take away from that. It is really something.

BUT

Is it necessary?

The only real rule of art that I've ever found that seems to be true all the time is: whatever you do, make a point, even if your point is that there is no point.

Everything in the poem should contribute. Should feed into or engance your central theme(s). If you have a happy, sprightly poem about freedom and adventure and doing your own thing, it doesn't make sense to lock it into a heavy, restrictive structure (unless it does for some other reason).

Content and form are two halves of the same coin. And so they must support each other or the whole thing falls down.

Every single element in the piece needs hold its weight. And if the element is intrusive or difficult or obscure or 'expensive' in some other way, then the payoff needs to be that much greater to justify it.

Point being, I get that you arranged the words to look like the prompt, but I don't see that your poem has gained anything from the arrangement. It makes it harder to read, and confusing in parts as you try to figure out what words go where, the lack of staza divisions makes it easy to lose your place and hard to follow. And the physical arrangement of the words themselves don't add to the meaning or contribute anything aside from the initial visual impression. And once we're done with that initial impression, the structure just weighs the piece down.

In other words, it's a gimmick. A wonderful, admirable, difficult, pain-staking gimmick, but a gimmick nonetheless.

And that's too bad, because what's inside that crazy frame is SO GOOD. Really, Dr.Bwaa, the writing in this piece is exquisite. Such simplicity and depth, such emotional content, layers of meaning, a strong character, a strong story, real movement from start to finish. Conflict, resolution. It's got it all.

I just wish I could just read it without having to pick my way through the visual maze.

Also, unrelated, I found it interesting how often you extended or truncated words (which usually done to control syllables and rhythm in a structured piece) in what is essenatially free verse. 'damned' with the accent grave, myst'ries and whisp'ring, etc. Was there a reason? Did it just look cool?

Anyway. I deeply respect the amount of work that went into the form. And I was blown away by the content. I just didn't the one was doing the other any favours.

VERDICT
    Spoiler
    Show
    Under some duress, Dr. Bwaa. Despite my reservations about the frame, the writing itself was just too good.

Benthesquid vs. The Extinguisher
    Spoiler
    Show

Benthesquid
    Hole in the Sky
    Spoiler
    Show
    I really liked this piece. It was a nice marriage of form and content. I liked the inconsistent rhymes. I liked the refrains. I liked the offset stanzas in quotation marks. That last one is particularly interesting, since the whole thing is in the first person, and therefore the whole piece is really one big quote. But I think it makes the smaller stanzas feel more immediate, more visceral, as though this is all what he things but those passages are things that are REALLy important.

"They say each cigarette steals
    Eleven minutes off your life.
    Days like these, it doesn't seem enough."

Is really nice. Thats the heart of the entire piece right there. You could almost just have submitted this single stanza and the rest almost follows. It's a good phrase.

The only thing I felt like I was missing was some clear information about what he was feeling and seeing right there in that moment. I have the picture, true, but the cold steel of the train track, the smell of the grass, the actual sound of the guns or feel of the mud. The sharp-gooey feel of a drag off a cigarette. Even what the hole in the sky actually looks like (to him). Anything to put me there with him on the ground that day at that moment.

But other than that, excellent work.

The Extinguisher
    The Bitter End
    Spoiler
    Show

I really liked parts of this, and other parts less so.

I thought the alternate, rhyming stanzas really worked. They had a nice rhythm and the 7-syllable/6-syllable alteranting was really nice. Made it kinda move and groove without sounding hokey. It felt like it should be a song. I could totally picture someone strumming that one out on stage with an acoustic guitar in some small dive bar.

The refrain stanzas were, I thought, less successful. Or rather, the refrain works well on its own merits, but as a whole, I'm not sure having a refrain in so short a poem was doing you any real favours. Had there been more of it, you might have struck an interesting sort of cadence. We learn some more about the narrator, then the refrain. Then learn some more, then refrain. Then, when it's over, you can tack that biot on the end and that's how we know it's over.

But as it is, it felt a little uneven. Remember that you're teaching your audience your structure as you lay it out. So we're all used to the alternate rhymes and strogn rhythm and then.. oh wait.. this is different. Then more rhymes. Then the refeain, and we know it's the same, and that's cool, but then it's not the same, and then it's over.

Sounds like grousing. And it kind of is. But for something as short as this, I'd have stuck with simple.

I also felt like I was missing some of the story here. It's nice to be minimilaist and evocative, but I think I'd have had a stronger emotional response had I had some more informtaion about who this guy was, what he was doing exactly, and why.

Also, small note: your use of the word abandon'd was odd. The reason poets use that apostrophes like that is to cut out a extra syllables in order to maintain a rhythm. "Abandoned" has just as many syllables as "abandon'd." So there's no need to use the apostrophe.

However, despite all that megativity, I really liked the bones of this piece. The flow and the feel and the tone and the atmosphere. I just kept seeing ways that it might have really shone.

Verdict
    Spoiler
    Show
    Both pieces were very good and both had similar strengths and similar liabilities. Tough choice. I'm going to go with Benthesquid, as his felt a little more complete. But, really, it was almost a coin toss.

SaintRidley vs. TheWombatofDoom
    Spoiler
    Show

SaintRidley
    Nox atra cava circumvolat umbra

Spoiler
    Show
    This one was, okay. I know you felt stuck and that always sucks. And it's pretty good, given that you pulled it out kinda last minute.

First off, unless there's a reason to make the title Latin, I'd avoid it. Some things sounds cooler in Latin, I'll admit, but the English translation of that phrase is just as evocative and would have had the benefit of not being obscure for no reason.

Secondly, words like 'tenebrificious' and 'voluminous' aren't usually helpful (unless they are - sometimes a poem has a flow that requires that kind of language, but very rarely). Finding smaller, less obscure words for those things probably would have been better.

Third, if you're going to write a piece that's all imagery and no story (which is fine), remember to find ways to touch the senses. Tell us what the night feels like, how it feels like smokey mist along the fingertips, or tastes like the sea at night, or how the moon shines like a fire in a dark forest. Or whatever. All of that can give an immediate, visceral impression of what you're trying to say. And so long as you can communiocate that visceral experience, the narrative of the piece is far less important.

But. It's pretty good. Really. Especially so because you just had nothing. I've had that happen and it sucks.

TheWombatofDoom
    A Pair of Men
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have to admit I'm not sure what you were getting at here. Did one of them really think it was a hot girl and the other one think it was a statue? What did Meek think about the fact that she didn't move or speak? Did Bold just sort of conclude that his friend was nuts? Why were they Meek and Bold, particularly? Did their personalities have anything to do with their reactions? Could they not have been just Bill and Dave?

Maybe you were trying to make a point about the mutability of truth? Or about perception being subjective? Or maybe just having fun with two guys wandering around and some kind of crazy statue with an enchantment on it? Maybe only one of them made his Saving Throw?

I don't know. And I should know. Unless I totally missed it. In which case I am happy to be schooled.

The other thing is the rhythm. It was really uneven. There's no law that says you have to have a consistent rhythm, but once you start rhyming alternate words it's almost a given. And if you're going to have rhyme and no rhythm, there should be a good reason. Otherwise the whole thing just sounds choppy and messy. Like if you were trying to dance to a song and the drummer kept changing the beat.

Was this a case where you dind't have the time required to perfect the rhythm? Or did it sound fine to in your head when you read it? I find that latter happens to me all the time. It's easy to cheat inside your head because you know how it's supposed to sound. Which is why I always get someone else to read structured poetry out loud. That'll show you were all the weak points are.

There were some nice passages here. And I like story poems. So I enjoyed it. I just think it needed some sharpening along the edges.

Verdict
    Spoiler
    Show
    I liked both of these pieces, for different reasons. And I thought both could have used another turn or two through the mill. It was another coin toss pairing. But in the end I'm going to go with TheWombatofDoom. His was just a little more fun to read.

bryn0528 vs. Amidus Drexel
    Spoiler
    Show

bryn0528
    Spoiler
    Show

NOTHING!

Amidus Drexel
    Haves and Have-Nots
    Spoiler
    Show

I really liked the way you structured this one. The internal rhyme and the driving rhythm gave it a lot of energy. I'm not entirely convinced that fast and energetic is the best feel for this piece to have. I would think that an older homeless person would speak more slowly, more carefully, with a more languid tone. But that would be over-thinking things and what you've done is quite good.

You did, however fall hip deep in the normal snare of highly structured verse: arbitrary words and phrases chosen more for their sound than their sense.

Does he really have a tire in his cart? A cape? Even a drum? I mean, he might, but I would question his choices. Was he really a baker? And a preacher? And 'man who could jog' is pretty lame. But I get it. You had the engine-cog already picked it and what else are you going to use? Hog? Dog? Blog?

So those are huge things. But they're noticeable.

The only thing I would rally question is the title. Haves and Have-nots? I'm not convinced that's the best way to sum up this piece. There are no 'Haves' in this poem. And maybe you're making a point about what he has now vs what he used to have, but that isn't a strong enough point in the poem, I don't think.

But those are all only little things. All in all, I thought it was a good strong piece with a difficult structure that you pulled off very well.

Verdict
    Spoiler
    Show
    Amidus, obviously. But it was a strong entry all on its own.

(Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

7. - Top - End - #157

@truemane
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's a gimmick indeed, one I've always wanted to try and now I never have to do it again

Thank you for taking the time to really read into it--I know it's kind of a pain. Thus:

Also, unrelated, I found it interesting how often you extended or truncated words (which usually done to control syllables and rhythm in a structured piece) in what is essenatially free verse. 'damned' with the accent grave, myst'ries and whisp'ring, etc. Was there a reason? Did it just look cool?
    Occasionally I did this for spacing reasons, but mainly it was to fit the secret meter that the poem (mostly) follows. I say it's secret because those small oddities (extended/truncated words) are basically the only hint that there's a real meter/structure to the thing.

When the judging is done, I'm planning to post the plain-formatted version, with stanza breaks and so on--there is a structure to it, though it's corrupted in a spot or two near the beginning of the formatted version because of spacing needs.
    Last edited by Dr Bwaa; 2014-02-17 at 10:46 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Truemane
    Show
    I really liked the way you structured this one. The internal rhyme and the driving rhythm gave it a lot of energy. I'm not entirely convinced that fast and energetic is the best feel for this piece to have. I would think that an older homeless person would speak more slowly, more carefully, with a more languid tone. But that would be over-thinking things and what you've done is quite good.

You did, however fall hip deep in the normal snare of highly structured verse: arbitrary words and phrases chosen more for their sound than their sense.
    To be honest, I was grasping at straws for this one, and just wrote. Agreed that it's got a pace that's likely inappropriate for the subject, though.

Yeah... I like to have a strict rhyme and rhythm to my poems. It bothers me when things don't fit, and it's more pleasing to me that a poem is metrically immaculate than meaningful in any sense (not that mine are necessarily either).

The only thing I would rally question is the title. Haves and Have-nots? I'm not convinced that's the best way to sum up this piece. There are no 'Haves' in this poem. And maybe you're making a point about what he has now vs what he used to have, but that isn't a strong enough point in the poem, I don't think.

But those are all only little things. All in all, I thought it was a good strong piece with a difficult structure that you pulled off very well.
    The title's meaning is only what you attribute to it. In a sense, it's meant to be a comparison of the first and second halves of the poem, but it doesn't hold any special meaning aside from that.
    A few odds and ends.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

@truename

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I'm actually primarily a songwriter, so that's how lots of my poetry goes. I actually wrote it as a song and then cut it down afterwords. Probably should have kept it as is.

C'est la vie.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

10. - Top - End - #160

No one can possibly fault Alarra for not having judgments in yet, but where's Dimonite?

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bwaa View Post
    No one can possibly fault Alarra for not having judgments in yet, but where's Dimonite?
    Drowning under about 20 pages of essay. On poetry, ironically enough! Studying Keats. This has taken a bit of a backseat, I'll admit, and I'm sorry for that, but since all of my classes were cancelled tomorrow on account of the weather (which is weird, since not a flake of snow has fallen yet) I should have them up tomorrow.
    Last edited by Dimonite; 2014-02-19 at 11:28 PM.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

12. - Top - End - #162

Judgments
    Spoiler
    Show

Cuthalion vs. Dr Bwaa
    Spoiler
    Show

Cuthalion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Good use of prompt, I can see the image in your description, that being said, there’s really not much to this other than a description of the picture. You’re lacking a sense of emotion, of the character, I want there to be a story or a point behind the picture, and I’m not getting that from this. The repetition works for me, though each stanza feels too short for the repetition to really work well. Not a bad poem, persay, but nothing particularly inspiring or interesting either.

Dr. Bwaa
    Spoiler
    Show
    Da-amn. This is good. Really excellent. The story, the emotion, the lyrical quality, the sense of rhythm and flow, apparent even in what could have been a really confusing bit of formatting. Everything was spot-on. And, as complex as your formatting was, I didn’t have any trouble reading it, or with flow, until I got to the section where you introduced the second voice. It was at this point that the poem kind of fell apart for me too. Don’t get me wrong, the split voices added an interesting layer, but I, personally, liked it better when it was just her talking through the emotions in her head. I don’t feel that the additional voice was needed. It really interrupted the flow and reading through it without spaces was difficult and required several read throughs. With as well as the beginning half flowed, that disappointed me. In any case, this is a wonderfully done poem and I love the story and emotion that you convey.

Verdict:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dr. Bwaa

Benthesquid vs. The Extinguisher
    Spoiler
    Show

Benthesquid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don’t feel that the light, quick flow and lyrical quality of this poem meshes well with the subject matter. Now, the story and emotion you’ve presented, I like. You used the prompt well and it’s interesting. Reading it through, however, that emotional gravity isn’t given the weight it deserves in the wording. The repetition, rather than serving to tie the piece together, is actually distracting and breaks the flow of the piece. Overall though, a solid piece. I like the juxtaposition of quotations and thought, and the story and emotion are conveyed well.

The Extinguisher
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like this. The rhyme adds to the content, rather than detracting as it could easily have given a heavy subject matter with a lyrical piece. My one real issue is that the second stanza being shorter really interrupted the flow as I was reading and felt very unfinished on the tongue. I like the emotion that you conveyed and the voice you wrote in. I feel like it could have benefited from a bit more detail about the narrator. Who’s talking here and why is he feeling the way he is? I would have liked more. Overall though, I really enjoyed this piece.

Verdict:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This was close. These were both good poems with solid emotions and stories, very similar stories as it happens. I’m going to go with The Extinguisher though, as his form matched his subject matter batter in my view.

SaintRidley vs TheWombatOfDoom
    Spoiler
    Show

SaintRidley:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm. While this does evoke the prompt to me, I admit that I haven’t a clue what’s going on here, who the subject is, who’s narrating. It took me entirely too long to figure out what the latin in the title meant, and frankly, reading this poem was just…a lot of work. The language was unwieldy, the point and story obscured, not to be overly mean, but it read pretentious to me. It flowed moderately well, when the language didn’t get in the way. ‘Tenebrificous’ specifically, completely threw off my flow and reading as I stumbled over it. Overall, I didn’t really care for the piece. There were some nice lyrical lines, and I liked the section with the nothing repetitions. I think it could have benefited from being broken into stanzas, and certainly could have used more detail on the story’s end.

TheWombatOfDoom
    Spoiler
    Show
    Interesting story. I’m intrigued to know more about this woman and how she became enchanted or stone, or both, and why the two perceive her differently. I feel like there’s an underlying metaphor here, having something to do with the personalities presented, but I’m not quite grasping it. The flow was nice, for the most part, though there were a couple of places where the rhythm was off and distracting. Overall, I enjoyed this and it left me wanting more and involved in their story and dispute.

Verdict:
    Spoiler
    Show
    TheWombatOfDoom

bryn0528 vs. Amidus Drexel
    Spoiler
    Show

bryn0528:
    Spoiler
    Show
    No entry

Amidus Drexel:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I liked this a lot. The rhyme and rhythm were fun and light, which seemed initially at odds with the heavy subject matter, but once you look at the picture, it suits him. He interests me and I want to know his story. The simplicity and shortness of this poem really worked well and gave us glimpses into his life and engaged us with the subject matter and emotion, without bogging us down in the heaviness that homelessness is as seen from the outside. Very nicely done.

Verdict:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Amidus Drexel

Spoiler
    Show

Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

13. - Top - End - #163

Judgements! Finally, I can feel slightly less lame!

Spoiler: Benthesquid vs. The Extinguisher
    Show

Benthesquid, "Hole in the Sky"
    Spoiler
    Show
    You've managed to appear to disregard structure while actually doing something quite clever with it - the quotes are always three lines, and the narration starts with three and increases by two each time, and I quite like that. Along with your almost randomly interspersed rhyme scheme, it shows that your work was carefully thought out, not only in content, but in form as well. Speaking of content, that's well done, too. A soldier who wants to leave the war behind and fly to heaven is a great interpretation of the prompt.

The Extinguisher, "The Bitter End"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your form is, without question, very good. You have a good command of the rhyme scheme and rhythm, with few variations or slants. However, you seem to have arrived there somewhat at the expense of content - your commitment to the rhyme scheme seems to have led to some awkward phrasing, most notably in the third stanza. Mostly, though, I'd just like to see more. You end really well - especially where you tie in your title - but I feel like you don't quite build to it enough.

Verdict:
    Spoiler
    Show
    BenTheSquid

Spoiler: Cuthalion vs. Dr. Bwaa
    Show

Cuthalion
    Spoiler
    Show
    This piece has a sort of quiet, calming quality that I thought fit very well with the prompt. You do a lot with a little here - you portray the outer, encouraging light as well as the inner fatigue very well.

Dr. Bwaa, "Heavy is a Halo"
    Spoiler
    Show
    ... I have no idea how I'm supposed to judge this. I mean, this has everything - you've worked the prompt in visually and in terms of content, and you tell an incredible story given the limitations you imposed on yourself. Well done, sir.

Verdict:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dr. Bwaa

Spoiler: Amidus Drexel vs. bryn0528
    Show

Amidus, "Haves and Have-nots"
    Spoiler
    Show
    A well-told story of a man gone to seed, through circumstances unknown. I like how he is both the have, and the have-not. You also did some nice things with form - you make your rhymes seem easy and natural, and each stanza tells its own story. This is a well-crafted piece.

bryn
    Spoiler
    Show
    N/A

Verdict:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Amidus by default, but he likely would have won anyway - I quite liked it.

Spoiler: Saint Ridley vs. WombatofDoom
    Show

Saint Ridley, "Nox atra cava circumvolat umbra"
    Spoiler
    Show
    I believe this is the only poem this round to forgo structure, so I shall likewise forgo my usual critique of that aspect. Your title shows a knowledge of Latin, as does your word choice throughout, but I think that might actually detract from the enjoyment of a reader who had not been similarly schooled. Overall, I thought it was good, and went especially well with the prompt.

Wombat, "A Pair of Men"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well done. Your form is excellent - solid rhymes, consistent rhythm and stanza formation - and the story you tell is interesting, and leaves the reader as unsure as Bold and Meek. You seem to have a flair for long, narrative poetry.

Verdict:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is by far the most difficult choice of the round for me, but I'll have to go with Saint Ridley, for a better connection to the prompt.

Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    TheWombatofDoom
    A Pair of Men
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have to admit I'm not sure what you were getting at here. Did one of them really think it was a hot girl and the other one think it was a statue? What did Meek think about the fact that she didn't move or speak? Did Bold just sort of conclude that his friend was nuts? Why were they Meek and Bold, particularly? Did their personalities have anything to do with their reactions? Could they not have been just Bill and Dave?

Maybe you were trying to make a point about the mutability of truth? Or about perception being subjective? Or maybe just having fun with two guys wandering around and some kind of crazy statue with an enchantment on it? Maybe only one of them made his Saving Throw?

I don't know. And I should know. Unless I totally missed it. In which case I am happy to be schooled.

The other thing is the rhythm. It was really uneven. There's no law that says you have to have a consistent rhythm, but once you start rhyming alternate words it's almost a given. And if you're going to have rhyme and no rhythm, there should be a good reason. Otherwise the whole thing just sounds choppy and messy. Like if you were trying to dance to a song and the drummer kept changing the beat.

Was this a case where you dind't have the time required to perfect the rhythm? Or did it sound fine to in your head when you read it? I find that latter happens to me all the time. It's easy to cheat inside your head because you know how it's supposed to sound. Which is why I always get someone else to read structured poetry out loud. That'll show you were all the weak points are.

There were some nice passages here. And I like story poems. So I enjoyed it. I just think it needed some sharpening along the edges.
    Spoiler: Truemane Response
    Show
    Yes. The poem is about two men who look at the same thing, yet each sees something different, and accounting for their reactions to each other. What's interesting is that Meek calls Bold mad, but Bold does not return the "favor", thinking only that his friend was playing a trick. Take that as you will, but I saw that as Bold has trouble believing in the irregular. He thinks of things in mundane ways, so just as his friend couldn't be mad, she couldn't be a real person. But I didn't want to lay something that thick onto it, so I merely grazed the surface.

I named the two characters encountering the figure as their personalities, because that's all we ever know about them. I identify one as being bold, and the other as meek, and they never refer to each other as these names, their just ways of identifying. And while it gives you specific information about them, it also gives you less to opinionate yourself on, to dictate which of them is sane or mad, pessamistic or optimistic, so on.

I wanted the reader to really see how two people viewed one subject, and then decide for themself which was right. And I suppose to do that, I might have given a little more detail, but I liked/preferred keeping it a mystery.

As for the rhythm, I read it out loud and to other people, but never had someone to read it aside from me. It worked fine to me. I think with rhythm its often subjective. Others might stress a word you do not. For instance Dimonite commented that I had great rhythm, while you tell me it is choppy. To me it was almost balladic and sing songy. Either way, good advice, thank you.

Time WAS a limiting factor to the success of this poem. Mostly this was because I had an extreamely difficult time being inspired by the prompt, and I dabbled around with a few ideas for awhile, though and it was only very close to the first due date that I came up with this idea. I literally was scrawling on paper in the passenger seat on the way home from church to get the finished product in, so I wasn't really able to go over it for proofreading or any of that, hence one or two mistypes. That I was able to type it up in time was a miracle in itself, so I think for a first draft it came out pretty well. Yes, it's not polished, which I was a little scared about, but I liked the overall feel, so at least I can still say I'm proud of it.

Thank you for your compliments, and I appreciate your vote. I'm glad you enjoyed it despite it's shortcomings!

TheWombatOfDoom
    Spoiler
    Show
    Interesting story. I’m intrigued to know more about this woman and how she became enchanted or stone, or both, and why the two perceive her differently. I feel like there’s an underlying metaphor here, having something to do with the personalities presented, but I’m not quite grasping it. The flow was nice, for the most part, though there were a couple of places where the rhythm was off and distracting. Overall, I enjoyed this and it left me wanting more and involved in their story and dispute.
    Spoiler: Alarra Response
    Show
    I like poems that catch the reader and cause them to want to know more. I guess that's why I'm often a fan of a poem that tells some sort of story, because it causes a sense of...identification...or hunger to know more of the story. A sort of mystery that leaves you with the disire to find the answer. There is an underlying theme, which is basically who are we to say who is mad and who is sane, or something of the sort. Basically, reality only exists when it is confirmed to be reality, and until then, both the men are right and wrong. I suppose there could have been more to allow you to get that, but I liked a more subtle feel of a story that is like a fairy tale - a moralesque ending. I'm glad you enjoyed, and could you identify the parts that you were distracted by the rhythm. Since this poem was rushed, I'd like to clean it up a bit. Thank you for your vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    Wombat, "A Pair of Men"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well done. Your form is excellent - solid rhymes, consistent rhythm and stanza formation - and the story you tell is interesting, and leaves the reader as unsure as Bold and Meek. You seem to have a flair for long, narrative poetry.
    Spoiler: Dimonite Response
    Show
    I appreciate your compliments! I felt that the poem to me had to be about someone else encountering her as the main subject, because her as the speaker just didn't inspire me. Everytime I looked at her, I had problems coming up with anything, so I figured making her the central figure to these two men, and the cause for their disagreement would be enough to make her identified as the prompt. Narrative poetry is my favorite. I find it to be like solving a puzzle, or telling a story in a creative way, and it's always enjoyable. I like the constrictions poetry leaves. Despite not getting the vote from you, I appreciate that it was a hard choice, and I thank you for your kind words!

World Building Projects:
    Magic

15. - Top - End - #165

Congratulations to our round 2 winners:

Amidus Drexel
    Dr. Bwaa
    TheWombatofDoom
    Benthesquid

Next round will be up tonight, hopefully!
    Last edited by Vaynor; 2014-02-21 at 06:06 PM.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

16. - Top - End - #166

Lovely entries from everyone, and congratulations to the winners!

Responses to specific comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: Alarra
    Show
    Thank you for your kind words! As for the second voice, I knew it was the weakest part of the verse going in, but I desperately needed an excuse to have a whole bunch of caps-lock near the end of the poem, to make the candle-light stand out, and then of course I needed to tie that content thematically to the physical chunk of the structure that it was representing. The worst part was trying to come up with a meter that I could mostly stick to, while fitting words into the constraints of how that content had to be arranged. In any event, I'm glad you liked it. :)

Spoiler: Dimonite
    Show
    Thank you! I have to say, when I submitted this, I felt a little like that contestant on a reality show that no one likes, who gets to stay in an extra round thanks to a gutsy hail-Mary that would never work a second time. So getting compliments on the content, rather than just the structure, means a lot. :)

Finally, as promised, what follows is the "disassembled," draft verse of my previous submission. You can see where it got altered a bit for formatting reasons, especially near the beginning and the end, but for the most part I was happy with how much of the internal structure I was able to preserve. I knew, setting out, approximately what I wanted to do with the content, but it took me a while to get a meter/rhyme/content scheme that I liked.

I should also mention that the mixed-voices section is split up artificially for easier reading, since the two voices do not speak in similar lines or meters, and putting them next to each other would have been confusing (granted, that was the point). So, without further ado:

Heavy is a Halo (un-remixed)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh loop so wicked, ever wide,
    a noose, all gold, my soul to hang.
    A holy circle, given form
    is still a leaden weight.
    A girl so young, too slow of wit--
    a damnèd, foolish child, should
    be disallowed to make a choice
    with consequences great.

They say I am a Lady now,
    with all the trappings that entails,
    but I have only trapped myself;
    the choice made in my youth.
    You promised status, fame, and wealth,
    and all the things a child wants;
    you never lied, but then again,
    you never told the truth.

Oh wide, eyes nothing see at all,
    but sink into a future black.
    I listen well, but do not speak,
    nor sleep, nor drink, nor eat.
    I am sustained on faith alone--
    I live, but am not satisfied;
    I hear, but cannot comprehend;
    advise with rank deceit.

Day after day, I contemplate
    the myst'ries mortal and divine
    to isolate that righteous song
    from out this whisp'ring hiss.
    Did you not know what I would hear--
    tormented screams of damnèd souls?
    so ever why did you see fit
    to bring me into this?

The voices of that gilded choir,
    who ought be with me even now,
    I cannot hear and never have;
    they're caught inside my throat.
    Am I to blame? You said they'd come
    the moment I assumed my role.
    Is it my fault, unworthy waif;
    have I caused them to choke?

My duty's done with pure intent
    despite I haven't any choice:
    this chain that hangs around my neck
    may never be removed.
    You claim it shows my sacred rank,
    true purpose ever you conceal:
    it opens up my mind to you,
    to keep me so abused.

I stare into the light and still
    there's no one gazing back at me.
    I peer into the endless void:
    yet once again, there's nothing.
    You asked me for a sacrifice
    to prove my soul; to weigh its worth--
    I gave it freely; got this hell,
    exchanged for all my trusting.

YOU ARE ABERTHA, A DAUGHTER OF MINE,
    SHADE AND OF LIGHT AND OF ALL OTHER THINGS.
    A TERRIBLE STORM BUILT BY DEMONS AND ANGELS AND MEN
    APPROACHES RIGHT NOW, ITS COURSE SET AND UNINTERRUPTABLE
    YOU MUST SEE YOUR PEOPLE TO SAFETY FROM TERROR AND HATE.
    THEY WILL DISTRUST YOU AND FEAR YOU AND MAKE YOU A MARTYR,
    YET THEY SHALL OBEY YOUR COMMANDS WHEN YOU LEAD.
    MANY ARE DAMNED BUT SURVIVORS WILL LIVE BY YOUR DOING.
    QUIET YOUR SPLIT MIND--TO DO WHAT YOU MUST, BE STRONG.
    NOW THIS IS YOUR LABOR: THE PEOPLE MUST JOIN THEM
    TOGETHER AS SINGULAR FACES OF MORTALS UNITED,
    FACING THE DARKNESS, A WHOLE, COMPLETE UNION,
    WITH NO ONE ABOVE OR BELOW ANY OTHER,
    ALL UNIFIED EQUALLY, COMMON IN DIGNITY,
    PEASANTS AND KINGS AS THOUGH ANY TWO MEN.

AND NO ONE BUT YOU, MY ABERTHA, HAS FAITH ENOUGH
    TO FOLLOW ON ALL THAT I ASK.
    DETHRONE THE LIAR PRINCES;
    BRING THEM INTO THE LIGHT, ALL ONE, AS FAMILY
    TO SAVE THEM ALL.

(This voice, too strong! But how can ever
    such a voice be true?
    Is this some new, fell sorcery
    that lays me down so low?)

(Your magic's never gone so far,
    but not one single moment do I trust
    my baffled head against--)

(Oh, what is this awful assault?
    I am not whom you -- oh!)

[unintelligible]

(But hold, what's this-- command?
    "Dethrone"; I'm not a knave;
    I won't be party to rebellion.)

(What is a liar-prince, and how
    am I to know what I can do?
    I am not fit to undertake this task.)

(Go not; I need your help!
    I am only a girl, far too broken
    to be a leader.)

(Am I alone?
    No.
    Never.)

I am a shell, but not alone;
    I'll see the liars overthrown,
    and claim my rightful throne.
    By King of Kings, I am condoned;
    I'll hew an empire from the stone
    and make this ruined land my own.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167

Iron Poet XIX: Round 3

Dr. Bwaa vs. TheWombatofDoom: Ward, Inevitable
    Benthesquid vs. Amidus Drexel: Trace, Glory

Deadline: Wednesday, March 5th 2014 at 11:59 pm (EST).
    Last edited by Vaynor; 2014-02-24 at 11:17 PM.
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    /veɪnoɚ/

18. - Top - End - #168

Vaynor, This is the same basic idea as round 1, yes?

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169

Yes, sorry. It's the same concept. Two prompts, both of which must be included in your poem.

The deadline has been extended to Wednesday, March 5th.
    Last edited by Vaynor; 2014-02-24 at 11:17 PM.
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    /veɪnoɚ/

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    The deadline has been extended to Wednesday, March 5th.
    This is the best news I've ever heard.* I'm going to be at a wedding all weekend and I was super worried about getting something good enough to beat Wombat done by Thursday
    *Not quite.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171

Prompts: Trace, Glory

Love and Ragnarök

Spoiler
    Show
    Trace a white arc
    Across all the nine skies
    And burn in the Great White Sea
    (And think of me).

Scorch the heavens,
    With your wild dancing
    And make the moon glow red-hot
    (But think of me).

Let the earth shake
    And all chains be broken
    And all prophecies fulfilled,
    (And come to me).

Your name will sound
    Your name will be sung out
    It shall be remembered
    (It shall be remembered
    I shall remember your name
    And that nations of the Earth
    Shall remember your name
    And the quick and the dead
    Shall both remember your name
    When you lie with me beneath the earth)
    Last edited by Benthesquid; 2014-03-05 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Edited for Prompt Words

22. - Top - End - #172

Prompt: Ward, Inevitable
    Spoiler
    Show
    Inevitable

Cry, cry! Was all you did, for weeks, it seemed,
    when first we took you home. Asleep, you dreamed
    your Mother, gone yet so much closer than
    the cautious arms of this unfamiliar man.
    But once the crying slowed, and you could start
    to grow us space within your tender heart,
    and welcome us as like to parents as
    a child without may ever truly have,
    then tears of loss grew into joyful smiles
    which bathed the land for many hundred miles
    in happy freedom, light of soul and wild,
    so nowhere could be found a heart unmild.

With greatest haste, year after year sped past;
    the music played by Time was tuned to you.
    You learned to run, to dance and sing; you laughed
    with no restraint. The world was yours, you knew.
    And what a sorry state if you got hurt,
    the tear-dew sprang to our eyes as your own;
    we'd kneel to pick you up, but in the dirt
    you'd stay, for having found a pretty stone,
    the fall was long since banished from your mind.
    You played with friends so gleefully; we heard
    with wonder stories of how you aligned
    a horde of children in some cause absurd.

Yet none may pause the onward thrust of Time,
    that leads you onward, growing faster yet:
    more distant from us you become; you hide
    your play from elder eyes, no longer tell
    us truths at once, but always know that here,
    there's love for you that cannot ever die.
    The time will come when all the things of youth
    cannot be made to satisfy your wants,
    so off you'll go, a new experience
    awaits! Greet with a smile the light of each
    new day! You'll kiss and laugh and fall in love,
    and we'll still be here when you need to cry.

Spoiler: Post-Judging Comments
    Show
    For some reason, this concept came to me right away. My original intent was to write a coming-of-age story from a parent's perspective, but I was afraid that it wouldn't have a strong enough tie to "ward", since it's archaic at best to use that word to refer to your own child. So, I changed the focus to an adopted child: no less the child of the narrator, but a better fit for the prompt.

It also gave me the added benefit of being able to play around with the theme a little more: in a piece titled "Inevitable" that begins with an adoption, you'd be forgiven for expecting that the "inevitable" plot arc would revolve around the child discovering his/her adoption and possibly his/her biological parents. But of course that meta-inevitability never materializes.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

I will probably be using my extension on this one - I've a bunch of stuff due friday and not nearly enough time to work on them.
    A few odds and ends.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

My apologies to DrBwaa and my fellow contestants and judges for not getting my poem in this round. Lots of things have been happening lately, most of which I'll primarily talk about via PM if you're interested. Suffice it to say, this will not be my last Iron Poet. Thank you for the challenge, and continued outlet for creativity! It's been fun, and I can only hope next time doesn't end this way.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Twas the night before Solstice, and all through the glen
    Not a creature was stirring; not fox, hare, nor wren.
    The symbols were traced by the altar with care
    In hopes that the old ones soon would be there

The children were painted and sent off to their beds
    With visions of conquest and war in their heads
    The druids in their robes, and I in my cloak
    Had just readied sacrifices whose lives we would choke

When deep in the forest there arose such a clatter
    I stormed out of the glen to see what was the matter
    Away to the treeline I flew like a bird
    Brandished my torch and screamed holy words

My fire o’er the dusting of the new-fallen snow
    Gave the traveler before me a sudden look of woe
    When, what to his wondering eyes should appear
    But a high priest of Taranis who aimed to strike fear!

He was chubby and plump, a wonderful prize
    And I laughed when I saw him and the fear in his eyes!
    A wink of my eye and a twist of my head
    Soon gave him to know he was soon to be dead

He spoke not a word, but dejectedly sighed
    And away we all took him to the altar to die
    But I heard him exclaim, ere we snuffed out his life
    “Glory to Mars, and to you a good night!”

He was dressed all in furs, from his head to his foot
    But after he burned all was was ashes and soot
    The traces he left were spread by the wind
    And perhaps some day he’ll die here again…

Credit to Clement Clarke Moore for the original poem, "Twas the Night before Christmas"
    A few odds and ends.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

I'm going to get my judgments done this weekend.

Thank you for your continued patience.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    I'm going to get my judgments done this weekend.
    Me too.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Just found this thread and read through it, this is incredible! I haven't competed in poetry in a few years, since Second Life was big, so I'll be throwing my hat into the ring for XX when it comes around. I look forward to seeing the judgments for this round and the poems for the final.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

29. - Top - End - #179

Hey...the forums are back. Here you go then!

Judgments:
    Spoiler
    Show

Dr. Bwaa vs. TheWombatofDoom: Ward, Inevitable
    Spoiler
    Show

Dr. Bwaa:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I enjoyed this. The tie to the prompt was clear and well realized. The emotion and story came through well. I had some issue with the rhythm of the piece as at times certain lines felt clunky and the flow was at times interrupted. I think this difficulty came from the fact that each section used a different rhyming scheme. It made it hard to find a consistent rhythm throughout. Overall, very good work though.

The Wombat of Doom:
    Spoiler
    Show
    No poem.

Verdict:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dr. Bwaa by default

Benthesquid vs. Amidus Drexel: Trace, Glory
    Spoiler
    Show

Benthesquid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is an interesting piece. I don’t feel the connection to the ‘trace’ prompt as well as I would like. I feel like I’d like the story to be a little clearer. The first three stanzas were lovely. I enjoyed the imagery and the last lines’ repetitive quality enhanced the rhythm and flow. This fell apart in the final stanza and I wish that you’d found a way to finish telling the story in the same rhythm as you started it. I think it would have been more effective. The length of the last stanza and the sheer number of times you used ‘remember’ in it, made it clunky and difficult to read. I did like the idea behind this however and overall this was a good poem.

Amidus Drexel:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I really enjoyed this. I found it a clever parody and found the story you were telling interesting. You had some great lines and evoked the imagery well. The contradiction of using the a cheerful Christmas poem to write about death and sacrifice was really great. I had a bit of confusion in the 4th stanza when the perspective shifted from the original and then it took me a second to sort out if the description in the next stanza was of the traveler or the priest. It was clear on subsequent readings though, so perhaps it was just me. The line “Soon gave him to know he was soon to be dead” is clunky and unwieldy to read. Overall though, very nice and enjoyable.

Verdict:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There’s clearly good writing in both of these and you’re both talented and worthy of going to the finals, but I’m going to go with Amidus Drexel. The story was better realized and I found it a very clever piece.
    Last edited by Alarra; 2014-04-01 at 01:37 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Pixie in the Playground

Hmm. I haz mad poetry skillz. How do I sign up? That doesn't seem to be clear...
    Last edited by Targ Collective; 2014-04-02 at 07:52 PM.
    Dubbed Most Honourable Aggregate of All Things Targ in the Title Thread. Also dubbed the Mage of Light, which is really cool.

Earned a special cookie for reaching 50 in the Count to 50 thread. Got a waffle too!

The human avatar is thanks to the talented The Mad Hatter; the ponytar, the incredible Dirtytabs.

I'm a White Mage in real life too! Here are my spells. BE WARNED: SOME OF THEM ARE REAL AND WILL AFFECT YOU IF READ. http://merlinsalchemyoflight.blogspot.co.uk/