New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Annotated Order of the Stick - A Companion Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    It's a Haste spell effect.
    Remind me exactly what Haste does again?
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Remind me exactly what Haste does again?
    Faster movement, extra attack on a full attack, +1 to attack, AC, Reflex.

It's a go-to buff at mid levels, remains very useful at high levels, especially for an archer, who usually makes a full attack every round. It's how Haley can fire 5 arrows (3 for her level, 1 for Rapid Shot, 1 for Haste), so it increases her offense potential by over 25% (25% for the extra arrow, then some for the +1 attack bonus).

EDIT: well over 25% in fact, because out of her 3 regular arrows, one is at -5 to attack, and the other is at -10. The extra arrow from Haste is at her highest attack bonus, so its chances to hit are much better.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2013-12-20 at 08:15 AM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, created the new section in the first post, and added a few annotations (now up to Update 38). This filled up the character limit, so I moved down the 101 - 200 and bumped the rest down. We are definitely going to need one post per Update grouping.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

update #520

Belkar uses the same trick he learned from Roy in #146
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

601. Panel 5. The image of the robot is the same one used in OtOtPCs page 56 panel 15.
    Wolfen Houndog - The World in Revolt (4e)
    The Mythic Warrior, a 3.5 base class that severs limbs and sunders armor
    The Nameless One, converted to 3.5 and 5e

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Guys...I think I'm officially insane....

Order of the Stick Spell Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by thereaper View Post
    601. Panel 5. The image of the robot is the same one used in OtOtPCs page 56 panel 15.
    Thank you for the contribution, but I'm not currently doing references to print-only books.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    update #520

Belkar uses the same trick he learned from Roy in #146
    Are you sure he learned it from Roy? It seems if they were connected there would be more of a reference.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2015-03-03 at 09:06 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

7. - Top - End - #187

Wow.

Soon we'll need to kick off a thread called "The Compendium of OOTS Referencing Projects Started by Wombat".

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow.

Soon we'll need to kick off a thread called "The Compendium of OOTS Referencing Projects Started by Wombat".
    When I expand this compendium, the first post will reference any informational projects in this subforum. So notable threads and such. Then I can reference them here as well.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2013-12-24 at 01:51 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Missed a reference.

Comic 619

Spoiler
    Show
    The last three panels are poking fun at the "edition wars" between 3.5 edition D&D and the then-new 4th edition. A common criticism by supporters of the older edition was that the new edition (which takes a more "Gamist" approach as opposed to the "simulationist" one taken by the older one) was that it too greatly resembled an World of Warcraft-style MMO. In addition to the obvious Mafia jokes, "Mobs" is the generic term for computer-controlled enemies in such games, with the most powerful being called "Boss Monsters." "Aggro", or "aggression" is the mechanic that forces an NPC creature to attack player controlled ones, and "train" is when multiple monsters aggro at once. Belkar's dialoge in the last panel is a clear reference to chatspeak of the type often employed in such games. For the sake of completeness, "Can I get a buff in case we get back to pwning their doods? Kthx." translates to "Could you please provide me with a beneficial enchantment in case we return to easily defeating their people. Thank you in advance."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been busy with the start of the Compendium, and it should be slowing down soon as format, entries and such all taper off. What do you guys think about anything about spells get sent over there unless they're a specific reference? I'm also considering doing another project on skills and class abilities...could save us some room here, perhaps?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

11. - Top - End - #191

I've been busy with the start of the Compendium, and it should be slowing down soon as format, entries and such all taper off. What do you guys think about anything about spells get sent over there unless they're a specific reference? I'm also considering doing another project on skills and class abilities...could save us some room here, perhaps?
    I think all annotations should remain as self contained as possible. If you have to consult multiple references in several threads to understand just one strip, you're going to give up fast. Links to external sources such as spells are fine if they just mean to offer additional information, but let's do that only after the annotation documents the strip itself, in full.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

I think all annotations should remain as self contained as possible. If you have to consult multiple references in several threads to understand just one strip, you're going to give up fast. Links to external sources such as spells are fine if they just mean to offer additional information, but let's do that only after the annotation documents the strip itself, in full.
    Hmmm. Alright, I hear what you are saying. But think about it this way - what if we put something at the top to say - "For all references to spells, go here" at the top. I plan on doing that for things like the transcription, MitD thread, and so on. For instance, describing a spell in this basically would take up at least a bunch of characters to link it to the SRD, or describe it in loose terms. Judging by how many spells there are, that might put us over the character count for even the first 100. Porting a portion of things might be a good way of handling it, especially because of how it is set up in ABC order, for ease of looking up the spell.

I see your point though. Going through another hoop for a certain kind of thing seems a little roundabout. But if we go about it where nothing about spells is listed in each strip and point out a link to where they can find out about spells, that might work. Then again, it might not. That's kinda why I was asking for opinions, and why I appreciate your criticism.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

13. - Top - End - #193

Hmmm. Alright, I hear what you are saying. But think about it this way - what if we put something at the top to say - "For all references to spells, go here" at the top.
    I see two issues with this idea. One, jumping from place to place is uncomfortable reading, the more so when you have to do it early and often. Two, you're assuming the reader already knows what a spell is and how to spot one in the comic. For me, the annotations should assume very little prior knowledge of anything: that's why I entered notes about references to the game which will sound totally obvious to D&D gamers, and references to US life and culture that Americans will consider no-brainers.
    I plan on doing that for things like the transcription, MitD thread, and so on. For instance, describing a spell in this basically would take up at least a bunch of characters to link it to the SRD, or describe it in loose terms. Judging by how many spells there are, that might put us over the character count for even the first 100. Porting a portion of things might be a good way of handling it, especially because of how it is set up in ABC order, for ease of looking up the spell.
    On the other hand, I don't think it is generally necessary to describe what spells do. Either it's name explains enough (Protection from Arrows...) or the effect is visible in-panel. There might be a few exceptions, in that case we can enter a few words to explain but that should be fairly rare.
    I see your point though. Going through another hoop for a certain kind of thing seems a little roundabout. But if we go about it where nothing about spells is listed in each strip and point out a link to where they can find out about spells, that might work. Then again, it might not. That's kinda why I was asking for opinions, and why I appreciate your criticism.
    You're welcome. It's a difficult but worthy project. I hope I can be of some help, because doing this alone would be really though.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Update #57-60, Thog flies in classic Superman pose, with one arm stretched out before him, and one knee bent.

In #60, Roy refers to a bizarro twin, which is another Superman reference.
    -.____________________

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Update #57-60, Thog flies in classic Superman pose, with one arm stretched out before him, and one knee bent.

In #60, Roy refers to a bizarro twin, which is another Superman reference.
    I wouldn't count Thog flying style as a Superman pose/reference: Normally the stretched leg/arm in front are on the same side and the bent leg/arm behind is on the other side. (There are some variations to be seen, but the one Thog shows seem to be one of the least frequent one. Much more frequent are poses with both legs straight, or both arms in front - even poses with both arm behinds are more frequent.) [At least that was a google search for "superman flying pose" turned up for me]
    If it would be an intended reference I think it would feature a more frequent arm/leg configuration.

I might give you the bizarro twin as a Superman reference. But even on that I'm personally not sure [Wiktionary lists it as a variant of bizarre (albeit I'm not sure how frequent bizarro is used, at least my auto-correct for English says it is wrong), which is rooted in the Italian bizzarro.]

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Update 443: The First Step is a Doozy – In this comic, Roy mentions two potions he has on him, and wonders why he even has them. In fact, either of these potions would have gotten him out of trouble in the closet in 234. The Shillelagh Oil would have turned the broom into a formidable weapon, and the Delay Poison would have Delayed Elan's Poison.

EDIT: Also, the reference to "Bizarro twin" from comic 60 is almost certainly based on Superman's Evil Opposite twin, who is named.... Bizarro
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2013-12-31 at 09:40 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Added annotations in the work space up to update 90! That catches me up to the bulk of the submissions from Gwynfrid, as well as some of my own or others.

@littlebum - perhaps he got those after that event to prevent it from happening again?
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-01-03 at 11:35 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

18. - Top - End - #198
    Colossus in the Playground

@littlebum - perhaps he got those after that event to prevent it from happening again?
    Indeed, I would be quite disappointed in Roy should he find himself falling from a great height again and reveal that it somehow never occurred to him that he should probably obtain a Potion of Feather Fall and keep it around.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Update 289: Senility Now!
    • The title of this comic comes from the Seinfeld episode Serenity Now! in which one character was encouraged to say the titular phrase when he got worked up, to calm himself down. Instead, he ended up yelling the phrase and getting himself more agitated every time. The Seinfeld Character was "faking" serenity, and Shojo is faking Senility.
    • In panel 4, we see a Shojo with gray hair and no wrinkles or liver spots, showing the passage of time between the event and current time.

Probably. In my mind, it's incredibly unlikely that he just happened to have those potions lying around. What I see happening is him getting out of that situation alive, going to the first magical shop he sees, and buying whatever items would get him out of that situation in the future (like why Elan learned Neutralize Poison). It's the adventurer's fallacy that if a situation happens, the best thing to do is to buy whatever items would get you out of that situation in the future, even though it's very unlikely you'll get in the exact same situation again.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2014-01-06 at 06:12 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

An expansion and clarification of an existing note

Update 224: Groggy, Groggy, Groggy –

In panel 2, Roy makes a reference to the video game Guantlet, where when someone is low on health, they are referred to as needing food badly.
    Panel 2 is a reference to the Gauntlet series of video games. Players would choose a class and a colour for their character; Blue Warrior was one available choice. Characters could gain life points by finding food. If a character was close to running out of life a voice would intone "[Blue Warrior] needs food badly" (or other character).
    -.____________________

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Indeed, I would be quite disappointed in Roy should he find himself falling from a great height again and reveal that it somehow never occurred to him that he should probably obtain a Potion of Feather Fall and keep it around.
    That would actually be a pretty good, and pretty deep joke. If he pulled out one next time he was falling, most people would just say "Hey, Roy must have gotten one after he fell the last time". But the people who read this thread would know this isn't the FIRST time Roy stocked up on magical supplies after a disaster.

Also, here's the update on the Doozy strip:

Update 443: The First Step is a Doozy
    • In this comic, Roy mentions two potions he has on him, and wonders why he even has them.

He probably purchased the items after the events of 234, as either of these two items would have gotten him out of that situation. The Shillelagh Oil would have turned the broom into a formidable weapon, and the Delay Poison would have Delayed Elan's Poison.

It is a common instinct, when an adventurer gets out of a bad situation, to go obtain a way to get out of that situation in the future. (See: Elan learning Neutralize Poison after Therkla died)

and on that note:

Update 647: Be Prepared
    • There is a common instinct for an adventurer, after getting out of a bad situation, to then obtain a way to get out of that situation in the future. Since Elan lost someone important to him through poison, he figured it would be useful to learn Neutralize Poison in case that happens again.

This is also the reason this strip is named Be Prepared.

and more:

Update 931: My Two Dads -
    • The title references the sitcom from the 80's with the same name
    • In Panel 2, we see what Elan did off panel before update 837.
    • In Panel 6, Laurin can be seen "Pop"ing back into the background.

Update 639: If They Pull a Knife...
    • The title references the movie The Untouchables, in which Sean Connery's character states:
      "You wanna know how to get [Al] Capone? They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. That's the Chicago way!"
      (In other words, the only way to defeat someone more powerful than you is to escalate the violence before they do, which is exactly what V does in this situation)
    • In page 2, panel 6; the continent the spell branches out from matches the maps we see later in updates 680 and 698. From this, we can see that the point the spell originates is in the Elven Lands, and so we know exactly where Vaarsuvius' home is on the Western Continent.
    • In page 3, panel 12; we see that V’s Familicide spell unintentionally saves a bunny from the black dragon it was being pursued by.

Update 2: Second Grade All Over Again -
    • The title of this strip refers to the fact that young kids usually pick the weakest (or least liked) kid last when picking teams. Apparently, Elan was usually picked last in second grade
    • In panel 1, Elan is referencing the skill points he received in the previous update.

Update 167: Don't Question the Color of the Bag -
    • The title of this strip refers to Roy's Bag of Tricks. Roy's Bag of Tricks is tan, which should produce large animals like bears, lions, and, incidentally, rhinoceroses.
      Up until this point his bag has been producing small animals like a grey bag normally would (rats, cats, etc.), so coloring it tan instead of grey would probably just be considered an art decision.
      However, once it is shown his bag can produce large AND small animals, it no longer fits the definition of any of the official Bag of Tricks, and Rich knew people would try to point this out to him, so
      "Don't Question the Color of the Bag" means "I know a Bag of Tricks really doesn't work like this"

My explanations are very verbose. Just pretend V is writing them.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2014-01-07 at 11:41 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    My explanations are very verbose. Just pretend V is writing them.
    I'll work on adding these soon, but if you can, try and be as brief as possible in explaining a reference. Unfortunately, because of the word count, the more words the more we'll have to break up the project.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

23. - Top - End - #203
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

#90 is a reference to old Hostess comic ads. These would usually feature the heroes using the eponymous fruit pies or cupcakes to distract the villain, who would be foiled by his lust for delicious partially-hydrogenated artificially-flavored snacks. Fruit Pie the Sorcerer is an obvious take on Fruit Pie the Magician, an old mascot of the company. The title of the comic is a reference to the kind of twisted mind that would lend to a scene in which goblins murder the Hostess mascot.

In #98, Vaarsuvius considers making an Alchemy skill check, which Durkon corrects to be Craft (Alchemy). This is a reference to the 3.5 update, in which Alchemy was declared a subset of Crafting (not unjustifiably; half of the uses of Alchemy read "see the Craft skill").
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 2014-01-07 at 09:57 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thereaper View Post
    Speaking of, is there a list anywhere of the characters that appear in the potential party members pages of Origin, and who they're supposed to be?

Or is there only Gandalf & Frodo, Elric and Buffy?

Edit: Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet - the last panel of #415 is a parody of Sam & Frodo in Return of the King.
    Last edited by Storm_Of_Snow; 2014-01-09 at 08:23 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for the submissions! Added them to the cue!

Quote Originally Posted by Storm_Of_Snow View Post
    Speaking of, is there a list anywhere of the characters that appear in the potential party members pages of Origin, and who they're supposed to be?

Or is there only Gandalf & Frodo, Elric and Buffy?
    I'm not sure, since I don't have the book, and only read it through once. Maybe someone else can enlighten us, however...

World Building Projects:
    Magic

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Hey, so according to this old comment, the goblins in Update #10 are speaking Ewok. Any Star Wars lovers who can confirm this?

Also, the "Awww, Belkar has a soft spot for small furry creatures.

I wonder if that will be his undoing?" comment in this thread makes me laugh. Even back in #58, huh?
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

According to Wookiepedia, the text does, in fact, correspond roughly to Ewok, with the differences easily explained by the Giant going by the movie sound instead of looking up the fan dictionary. Yub-Yub, in particular, has long been a reference to the Ewoks.

However, Ewok is derived in part from an actual language, so there is the possibility that the reference was to that.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    #90 is a reference to old Hostess comic ads. These would usually feature the heroes using the eponymous fruit pies or cupcakes to distract the villain, who would be foiled by his lust for delicious partially-hydrogenated artificially-flavored snacks. Fruit Pie the Sorcerer is an obvious take on Fruit Pie the Magician, an old mascot of the company. The title of the comic is a reference to the kind of twisted mind that would lend to a scene in which goblins murder the Hostess mascot.
    Uh, #90 has nothing to do with Fruit Pie the Sorceror. You're thinking of #91.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

So, on a purely formatal note, any thoughts to a shorter name to the "Commonly Referenced Terms" section? Additionally, does anyone have some ideas for more terms or things to add to this section, or to the FAQ?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

So, on a purely formatal note, any thoughts to a shorter name to the "Commonly Referenced Terms" section?
    I believe the word you seek is "Glossary".
    Suspiciously normal.
    I'm from the Government. We're here to help!
    2nd Age Elven Warrior by Vrythas. Elves are not pansies!