New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [PF/DSP] Dreamscarred Press announces ToB-inspired product II: The Rematch

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    *Shrug.* If you say so.

Though the idea of one that can make 2 custom magic weapons and change them when the need arises still sounds like it would be awesome.
    Then let's leave that to the Soulknife then? I'm going to make archetypes for both the psychic warrior and the soulknife. The psi-warrior I will say is going to get options for Paths based on its discipline access. It has the potential to be quite awesome

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [PF/DSP] Dreamscarred Press announces ToB-inspired product II: The Rematch

Isn't the soul knife more of a "Kill you from a shadows/don't fight fair" class though? Couldn't that difference be played up?

Alternatively, if the Soulknife as a power's list and Chassie that's good enough to get buy in straight forward melee, maybe come at this from a different angle. Work Soulbound weapon into a Archatype for Soulknife so that they can explicitly make 2 custom magic weapons appropriate to level?
    I'm sorry if I'm stepping over any boundaries here, but I advise you to become more familiar with the Soulknife class before discussing it.
    3DS Friend Code: 4442-0172-6654 Safari: Flying (Pidgey, Hoothoot, Fletchinder)

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vanitas View Post
    I'm sorry if I'm stepping over any boundaries here, but I advise you to become more familiar with the Soulknife class before discussing it.
    I'm not familiar with it, that's why I was asking. That wasn't a "I am being ironic asking this cause as far as I'm concerned I already know the answer." that was "I'm asking cause I actually and looking for a answer."
    "I Burn!"

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'm not familiar with it, that's why I was asking. That wasn't a "I am being ironic asking this cause as far as I'm concerned I already know the answer." that was "I'm asking cause I actually and looking for a answer."
    Well I suppose the easiest way to put it would be that the soulknife is like a psionic fighter. It's more limited than the other psionic classes, but it is very effective in combat, and it can be built to cover a variety of fighting styles. It's full BAB, good hit dice, good armor...Very geared towards being a warrior type character. I hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

5. - Top - End - #185

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Well I suppose the easiest way to put it would be that the soulknife is like a psionic fighter. It's more limited than the other psionic classes, but it is very effective in combat, and it can be built to cover a variety of fighting styles. It's full BAB, good hit dice, good armor...Very geared towards being a warrior type character. I hope that helps.
    This link will probably help Metahuman1. Soulknife, this is Metahuman1. Metahuman1, this is Soulknife. This might be the beginning of a wonderful friendship.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Hm, alright then.

In that case, I propose the Archatype for making 2 weapons you can customize and alter instead of one for soul knife, and then that feat to let them stack with a Martial Adept for advancing 1 or 2 key class features and psionic Manifesting/Martial Maneuver advancement.

That would be the TWF feat that would actually make TWF every inch as good as THF.
    "I Burn!"

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm, alright then.

In that case, I propose the Archatype for making 2 weapons you can customize and alter instead of one for soul knife, and then that feat to let them stack with a Martial Adept for advancing 1 or 2 key class features and psionic Manifesting/Martial Maneuver advancement.

That would be the TWF feat that would actually make TWF every inch as good as THF.
    You can make two weapons with the Soulknife. You can explicitly make two weapons with the Soulknife, and there are plenty of blade skills that improve TWF.

That being said, I would like a Gifted Blade-style initiator who gives up psychic strike for limited initiating.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

8. - Top - End - #188

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    You can make two weapons with the Soulknife. You can explicitly make two weapons with the Soulknife, and there are plenty of blade skills that improve TWF.

That being said, I would like a Gifted Blade-style initiator who gives up psychic strike for limited initiating.
    I think just taking Martial Training would work better than that. Psychic Strike has strong synergy with martial strikes.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

I think just taking Martial Training would work better than that. Psychic Strike has strong synergy with martial strikes.
    For slightly more burst damage, which maneuvers already amply provide.

And more importantly, only two archetypes currently trade out Psychic Strike, meaning a martial archetype that traded on those would work with most of the others (which is one of the best features of Gifted Blade). I'd wish a maneuver-granting archetype being compatible with, say, Nimble Blade and Deadly Fist.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

This link will probably help Metahuman1. Soulknife, this is Metahuman1. Metahuman1, this is Soulknife. This might be the beginning of a wonderful friendship.
    Spiffy, but needs one thing. The ability to manifest 2 one handed weapons and TWF with them!

And a feat to let it stack with things like Stalker or Warlord for Maneuvers/weapons/psionic powers/ext.
    "I Burn!"

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Spiffy, but needs one thing. The ability to manifest 2 one handed weapons and TWF with them!
    You should take another look:

Quote Originally Posted by Psionics Unleashed
    If the soulknife's chosen form is a light weapon, she may choose to form two light weapons when forming her mind blade if she so chooses, but she suffers the standard penalties for two-weapon fighting.
    Last edited by Ilorin Lorati; 2013-11-23 at 02:13 AM.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

And a feat to let it stack with things like Stalker or Warlord for Maneuvers/weapons/psionic powers/ext.
    Multiclass feats (a la Swift Hunter) aren't really a thing in PF. Things that progress manifesting also work on the blade, though, so Manifester/Initiate PrC would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Osagasu View Post
    You should take another look:
    Well, technically, Soulknife can't get two one-handed weapons, only two light or one-handed and light. I'm not sure why one would want to eat the higher penalties, but eh.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

13. - Top - End - #193

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Well, technically, Soulknife can't get two one-handed weapons, only two light or one-handed and light. I'm not sure why one would want to eat the higher penalties, but eh.
    Actually you can get even that with the Emulate Melee Weapon blade skill - just choose a one-handed weapon.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Actually you can get even that with the Emulate Melee Weapon blade skill - just choose a one-handed weapon.
    Hmm, I guess it could be read that way, but it strikes me as a stretch.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Duel Katana's, that's why one might want it. And Emlutate blade skill huh? Sounds good.
    "I Burn!"

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Duel Katana's, that's why one might want it. And Emlutate blade skill huh? Sounds good.
    Eh, I'd rather wakizashi and katana, less penalty for only on average 1 point of damage less.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Eh, I'd rather wakizashi and katana, less penalty for only on average 1 point of damage less.

-X
    Yeah, but the cool factor is worth more than all the to-hit penalties in the world.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    Yeah, but the cool factor is worth more than all the to-hit penalties in the world.
    I'm with you. I'm not doing it cause I want to make the attacks uber more powerful (That's the job of other things like maneuvers, stat boosts, Psi-powers, so on.), I'm doing it cause duel full length katanas drawn up on someone while you tell them "Come." just oozes cool factor. And it would be awesome not to have to have major mechanical draw backs to doing something cause it's cool.
    "I Burn!"

19. - Top - End - #199
    Bugbear in the Playground

I feel this picture is relevant :

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

As is this.

Spoiler
    Show
    https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=h p&biw=1919&bih=958&q=Erza+Scarlet+duel+Katana%27s& oq=Erza+Scarlet+duel+Katana%27s&gs_l=img.3...1259. 8642.0.9297.28.10.1.17.18.0.446.1313.7j1j1j0j1.10. 0....0...1ac.1.32.img..14.14.1289.sXRJ6T6SmhI#facr c=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=cqPD9LoQSyRBYM%3A%3BHSKs_NJJ_1G dxM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fmedia.animevice.com%252Fu ploads%252F0%252F3695%252F257265-episode_38_screencap_19.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fw ww.animevice.com%252Fdestiny%252F12-127783%252Fepisode_38_screencap_19%252F83-257265%252F%3B856%3B482
    Last edited by Metahuman1; 2013-11-23 at 05:33 PM.
    "I Burn!"

21. - Top - End - #201
    Bugbear in the Playground

Now I realize this game really needs a way to dual wield One-Handed Weapons with a penalty to defense rather than attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

While I concede the Lloyd Irving point, please keep in mind that twin katanas tend to be a favorite of Mary Sue characters. Also, Musashi used wakizashi and katana. So there's that.
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Also, those are straight-swords in the image.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Sith: I know, but STILL!

Beowulf: Like who?

And I'm not doing is cause Mary Sue, I'm doing it cause freaking LOOK'S awesome. Maybe in a real fight I'd feel differently and get a different option. But it's D&D, Cinematography, rule of cool and style should count as much for anything.
    "I Burn!"

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Beowulf: Like who?
    The Weeboo is not strong in this one.

He was one of the most infamous ronin of all time, who bested everyone he met using his cunning and unusual tactics. He serious only had a tie against one Bo wielder and that was the closest he ever really came to losing. Many samurai anime base at least 1 character around him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

While I concede the Lloyd Irving point, please keep in mind that twin katanas tend to be a favorite of Mary Sue characters.
    I don't really see your point.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    The Weeboo is not strong in this one.

He was one of the most infamous ronin of all time, who bested everyone he met using his cunning and unusual tactics. He serious only had a tie against one Bo wielder and that was the closest he ever really came to losing. Many samurai anime base at least 1 character around him.
    I like Miyamoto Mushashi as much as the next guy but he didn't use duel katana. He used single sword, spear, Ju-jitsu, Iai-jutsu, Wakazashi, Katana + Wakazashi and just a freaking stick or boat ore, but he didn't really do Katana + Katana.

So, how would this be relevant, if I wanted to be Mushashi I'd just be content with one handed sword or sword + short sword. That's not what I'm angleing for here.

Also, I like the idea of a feat that lets you duel wield 1 handed weapons at no extra penalty. Maybe go a step further and make it let you duel wield at a -2 to AC instead of attack as Raven777 suggested.

And while were at it, as a special deal, if a soul knife takes this feat, he can manifest 2 one handed swords instead of just two lights or a light and a one handed.
    "I Burn!"

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I like Miyamoto Mushashi as much as the next guy but he didn't use duel katana. He used single sword, spear, Ju-jitsu, Iai-jutsu, Wakazashi, Katana + Wakazashi and just a freaking stick or boat ore, but he didn't really do Katana + Katana.
    I thought you were asking who he was? Though I guess you were questioning his name drop in an ironic sense or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

So, how would this be relevant, if I wanted to be Mushashi I'd just be content with one handed sword or sword + short sword. That's not what I'm angleing for here.

Also, I like the idea of a feat that lets you duel wield 1 handed weapons at no extra penalty. Maybe go a step further and make it let you duel wield at a -2 to AC instead of attack as Raven777 suggested.

And while were at it, as a special deal, if a soul knife takes this feat, he can manifest 2 one handed swords instead of just two lights or a light and a one handed.
    I bring it up as a point in favor of what Errant said.

Also:

Jotungrip (Ex)

At 2nd level, a titan mauler may choose to wield a two-handed melee weapon in one hand with a –2 penalty on attack rolls while doing so. The weapon must be appropriately sized for her, and it is treated as one-handed when determining the effect of Power Attack, Strength bonus to damage, and the like.

This ability replaces uncanny dodge.
    I've been theorycrafting a Cloud Strife build using lots of dex, Weapon Finesse, two Elven Curved blades, Improved Crit and the Beast Totem powers to achieve total dual-wielding ridiculousness. I sincerely hope that any martial archetype for the Barbarian will be compatible with Titan Mauler.

*TotallynotlookingatErrant*
    Last edited by Beowulf DW; 2013-11-23 at 07:39 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

No Irony, and stupidly oversized final fantasy weapons are fun and all but once more, not really what I was aiming for.
    "I Burn!"