New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [PF/DSP] Dreamscarred Press announces ToB-inspired product II: The Rematch

Honestly, the current Paizo archetypes are kind of a mess. I am going to try my best to make it so at least SOME of each class' archetypes are compatible with PoW archetypes.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: [PF/DSP] Dreamscarred Press announces ToB-inspired product II: The Rematch

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Honestly, the current Paizo archetypes are kind of a mess. I am going to try my best to make it so at least SOME of each class' archetypes are compatible with PoW archetypes.

-X
    I appreciate your efforts, yet I do not envy them in the slightest. They really are a bit of a mess. Unless you use that chart on one of the threads here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, I'd rather wakizashi and katana, less penalty for only on average 1 point of damage less.

-X
    Well, that'd require taking Emulate Melee Weapon twice, for a soulknife (if you wanted the crit range).

And since Piranha Strike doesn't work with one-handed weapons, using an one-hander and a light weapon adds a bit of MAD. So, yay for everyone using paired wakizashis?

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    I appreciate your efforts, yet I do not envy them in the slightest. They really are a bit of a mess. Unless you use that chart on one of the threads here.
    This one?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Well, that'd require taking Emulate Melee Weapon twice, for a soulknife (if you wanted the crit range).

And since Piranha Strike doesn't work with one-handed weapons, using an one-hander and a light weapon adds a bit of MAD. So, yay for everyone using paired wakizashis?
    Can you even take Emulate Melee Weapon twice?
    3DS Friend Code: 4442-0172-6654 Safari: Flying (Pidgey, Hoothoot, Fletchinder)

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vanitas View Post
    Can you even take Emulate Melee Weapon twice?
    Yes: "This blade skill may be taken multiple times; each time, it allows the soulknife to form her mind blade to replicate a different melee weapon."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, Ssalarn brought up something pretty interesting on the Paizo thread with regards to humanoid opponents and weapon-dependency on the part of initiators. I'd like to ask:

1. Is this consistent with your observations?

2. Is weapon dependency consistent with your observations? How hurt are initiators by having to fall back on unarmed strikes? What about a backup weapon such as a dagger?

3. Does it matter if the weapon you're holding is magical/mundane?
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2013-11-24 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

This one?
    That's the one.

Edit: and it looks like Titan Mauler can't combine with anything.
    Last edited by Beowulf DW; 2013-11-24 at 02:03 PM.
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

8. - Top - End - #218

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm very pleased to announce the release of the Quills and their associated discipline Cursed Razor. Razor's my very first full discipline and I'm pretty nervous about letting it out into the wild; lemme know where the problems are so I can get them fixed up.

Follow this link to see the servants of Whisper.
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2013-11-24 at 03:08 PM.

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, Save vs. Skill check seems slightly out of place, since most maneuvers use the simple (10 + maneuver level + 1/2 stat) formula. Doesn't using skill check make the save DCs a bit too high?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #220

Hmm, Save vs. Skill check seems slightly out of place, since most maneuvers use the simple (10 + maneuver level + 1/2 stat) formula. Doesn't using skill check make the save DCs a bit too high?
    That...maaaaay be a feature and not a bug >.>

In all seriousness I had to incorporate Spellcraft into a specific number of maneuvers to keep the discipline in line with some of the others and I was wracking my brain trying to figure it out, so I ended up tagging that onto Huntsman's Curse. The save DC will be pretty high but on the other hand it's already a nerfed version of slow, so I thiiiink it works out okay. Hopefully?
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2013-11-24 at 03:59 PM.

My extended homebrew sig

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Bad Karma (2nd level) also uses skill. And having two separate ways of determining save DCs for stuff from the same discipline seems like an unnecessary complication.

Also, the default wording is "primary initiator attribute modifier", for whatever reason.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222

Bad Karma (2nd level) also uses skill. And having two separate ways of determining save DCs for stuff from the same discipline seems like an unnecessary complication.
    Aye...that'll need to get fixed, then. I may leave it on Huntsman's just b/c Nerfed Slow but I'll look into fixing that on Bad Karma/Warlock's Stride.

Also, the default wording is "primary initiator attribute modifier", for whatever reason.
    This one I might try to get changed >.> It's not a 'caster' attribute modifier, it's a 'casting' attribute modifier, after all.

My extended homebrew sig

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    This one I might try to get changed >.> It's not a 'caster' attribute modifier, it's a 'casting' attribute modifier, after all.
    While you're at it, a shorter, snappier term would be welcome. "Primary initiator/initiation attribute modifier" is a mouthful.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224

DCs fixed.

My extended homebrew sig

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

It's weird that a technique taught by Devils (the Black Seraph) for the purposes of opposing Chaos deals half damage to Demons and Slaads.

Actually, the whole idea that "Evil deals half damage vs. Evil or Neutral" is odd, and the reverse is also a bit tricky.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2013-11-24 at 06:17 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

It's weird that a technique taught by Devils (the Black Seraph) for the purposes of opposing Chaos deals half damage to Demons and Slaads.

Actually, the whole idea that "Evil deals half damage vs. Evil or Neutral" is odd, and the reverse is also a bit tricky.
    I was looking at effects like holy smite and weapon qualities like unholy or anarchic with how they do differing damage amounts to alignments and such. Suggestions?

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

17. - Top - End - #227

I was looking at effects like holy smite and weapon qualities like unholy or anarchic with how they do differing damage amounts to alignments and such. Suggestions?

-X
    Personally I'd let Alignment Disciplines do increased (+50%?) damage to the appropriate alignment, with no such bonus vs. other alignments. That sells the idea and gives a reason to take the disc still (since against, say, Good beings Black Seraph is now better than, oh, Scarlet Throne) without making it suddenly worse either. Seraph and its brethren follow the normal bonus damage progression for strikes and the like as far as I can see so it's not like you have to compensate for them dealing unusually high amounts of damage.

The thing about effects like holy smite or axiomatic is that they're super-duper optional. You can prep another spell instead of Smite, you buy a weapon to kill chaotic beings if you expect to fight a lot of chaotic beings. Disciplines are a for-life character commitment that can't be changed in the morning so they're a bit of a Bigger Deal, yeah?

My extended homebrew sig

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

-X
    I'd let Seraph do full damage vs. everyone, with Crane maybe doing no damage vs. Good. Maybe tag extra damage vs. alignment on some of the maneuvers where appropriate (Crane already has something to that effect).

How'd the disciplines work against a character that's Good-aligned but with [Evil] subtype (like the famous succubus paladin)?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

So, Ssalarn brought up something pretty interesting on the Paizo thread with regards to humanoid opponents and weapon-dependency on the part of initiators. I'd like to ask:

2. Is weapon dependency consistent with your observations? How hurt are initiators by having to fall back on unarmed strikes? What about a backup weapon such as a dagger?

Didn't see this earlier, so if I may?

I think the person that made that post is exaggerating a bit. While it's true that battle verses humanoids with base class levels tends to be a bit more difficult than usual, I genuinely think that's how it should be. As for combat maneuvers, I will admit that fighting a tripping opponent can be difficult an infuriating for a melee character. The post you linked to mentions Disarm attempts specifically, however there are ways to counter disarming opponents (weapon cords, locked gauntlets, etc.) and keeping a back up weapon is standard practice in my group ever since one of our barbarians got swallowed twice in the same fight (and managed to cut his way out both times...). As long as an initiator is still able to use maneuvers with a back up weapon, he/she isn't out of the fight. They might suffer a slight downturn in effectiveness, but they're not an opponent to be ignored. I've seen the same thing happen with a Magus of mine. I was still able to use spell strike with my dagger, so I was still in the fight.

Barbarians can grab a tree and rage, Paladins can channel the might of the gods into a chair leg, Monks can headbutt you, Inquisitors can Judge you and make that soup bowl a soup bowl of [whateveristickingmeoff]Bane, Magi can use spell strike, and the POW classes can use maneuvers. Yes, they all suffer a slight decrease in effectiveness, but they're still in the fight. Fighters and Rangers on the other hand...

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

1-2. Not really. I'd generally say a Fighter is more screwed if it gets disarmed than an initiator, because the Fighter doesn't have class features, except, say Weapon Training...which mostly requires him to be using his favored weapon. A Warlord or Warder at least is providing buffs to his allies, while the Stalker's abilities can often be used unarmed. However, I would say that humanoids are often more interesting encounters than monsters for OP's reasons.

3. Generally not. The Soulknife explicitly doesn't make specific weapons without the blade skill (which I think has already been discussed), but if you were to make a weapon with, say, Call Weaponry or anything else that allows something to be treated as a specific weapon, I'd say it's good to go.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

21. - Top - End - #231

How'd the disciplines work against a character that's Good-aligned but with [Evil] subtype (like the famous succubus paladin)?
    Handled by subtype rules - succubus paladin counts as all four alignments and gets tagged by anything that deals bonus damage to any of them.

My extended homebrew sig

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Handled by subtype rules - succubus paladin counts as all four alignments and gets tagged by anything that deals bonus damage to any of them.
    But not tagged by something that doesn't deal damage to one of them?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233

But not tagged by something that doesn't deal damage to one of them?
    Well, that makes it kinda odd. Imagine this for a moment:

"Silver Crane maneuvers deal nonlethal damage to Good-aligned beings."

Plus:

"[MANEUVER NAME] deals 50% additional damage to Evil-aligned beings."

She takes 150% non-lethal damage. The ability itself will say if it calls out an alignment (search for X) or if it excludes an alignment (if X, then Y). Which means that, for example, some of the alignment-blasting spells would exclude her by virtue of her counting as an alignment but others wouldn't.

Yeah it's a mess.

My extended homebrew sig

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

"Silver Crane maneuvers deal nonlethal damage to Good-aligned beings."
    Now that's the way to do it.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd also like to add that the Martial Training line of feats is a great way to add some flavor to a boring monster. A few orcs/hobgoblins become deadly with some Golden Lion maneuvers to turn them into a real cohesive fighting force (try giving half them Tactical Strike and half Hunting Party).
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

26. - Top - End - #236

Announcement: PIAM (Primary Initiation Ability Modifier) has been shortened to IM (Initiation Modifier). Expect changes in documents when we can get around to it ^_^

My extended homebrew sig

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Announcement: PIAM (Primary Initiation Ability Modifier) has been shortened to IM (Initiation Modifier). Expect changes in documents when we can get around to it ^_^
    Yay efficiency!

28. - Top - End - #238

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Didn't see this earlier, so if I may?

I think the person that made that post is exaggerating a bit. While it's true that battle verses humanoids with base class levels tends to be a bit more difficult than usual, I genuinely think that's how it should be. As for combat maneuvers, I will admit that fighting a tripping opponent can be difficult an infuriating for a melee character. The post you linked to mentions Disarm attempts specifically, however there are ways to counter disarming opponents (weapon cords, locked gauntlets, etc.) and keeping a back up weapon is standard practice in my group ever since one of our barbarians got swallowed twice in the same fight (and managed to cut his way out both times...). As long as an initiator is still able to use maneuvers with a back up weapon, he/she isn't out of the fight. They might suffer a slight downturn in effectiveness, but they're not an opponent to be ignored. I've seen the same thing happen with a Magus of mine. I was still able to use spell strike with my dagger, so I was still in the fight.

Barbarians can grab a tree and rage, Paladins can channel the might of the gods into a chair leg, Monks can headbutt you, Inquisitors can Judge you and make that soup bowl a soup bowl of [whateveristickingmeoff]Bane, Magi can use spell strike, and the POW classes can use maneuvers. Yes, they all suffer a slight decrease in effectiveness, but they're still in the fight. Fighters and Rangers on the other hand...
    Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    1-2. Not really. I'd generally say a Fighter is more screwed if it gets disarmed than an initiator, because the Fighter doesn't have class features, except, say Weapon Training...which mostly requires him to be using his favored weapon. A Warlord or Warder at least is providing buffs to his allies, while the Stalker's abilities can often be used unarmed. However, I would say that humanoids are often more interesting encounters than monsters for OP's reasons.

3. Generally not. The Soulknife explicitly doesn't make specific weapons without the blade skill (which I think has already been discussed), but if you were to make a weapon with, say, Call Weaponry or anything else that allows something to be treated as a specific weapon, I'd say it's good to go.
    Also thanks for this guys, we'll keep it in mind, talk to folks on the Paizo end to see where the perception is coming from.

My extended homebrew sig

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Just to make sure before: initiation modifier or initiator modifier?

30. - Top - End - #240

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    Just to make sure before: initiation modifier or initiator modifier?
    Initiation modifier.

My extended homebrew sig