New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gamer

1. - Top - End - #451
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Gamer

Jee Han wasn't as outclassed by the hunters as you make it appear.

He cast two spells before they could react at all, and Mana Bind was very effective. We don't see that they tanked the Spinning Mana Arrow; given that when the smoke clears we see the warrior with his weapon in front of the mage, it seems likely that he had a technique to deflect the attack.

The idea that the warrior has some kind of dispel power on his weapon makes sense when you consider that a Bind on the mage disappeared almost immediately (off screen), but when the warrior was bound, Jee Han had plenty of time to run off and then hold a conversation. The warrior couldn't hit himself with the dispelling attack because he uses a polearm, so he had to break it with strength or wait for the duration to expire.

Also, it's entirely possible that the hunters buffed up before meeting Jee Han, making them appear stronger than they normally are. Plus, there were two of them and he had to protect the girl, which counts for something.

Jee Han is definitely low on the totem pole, but he's not lower than these guys. I'd say he was about the same strength when he met them, so he's likely high D or low C rank now that his pumped INT gives him super cheap abilities.

Also, the notes on the MP abilities as being from a special bloodline add a bit more evidence that Jee Han's mother is special, and may well be the Existence Eater.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Well.. that were certainly a very good idea, comming from actual observations that had already been revealed, and just put together in a clever way.

Also, it's entirely possible that the hunters buffed up before meeting Jee Han, making them appear stronger than they normally are. Plus, there were two of them and he had to protect the girl, which counts for something.
    I do agree on this as well, it were some rather solid disadvantes Jee Han had there, not to mention his general ignorance of things that must be considered common knowledge by others.

Also, the notes on the MP abilities as being from a special bloodline add a bit more evidence that Jee Han's mother is special, and may well be the Existence Eater.
    I would say it puts more evidence towards his father being that guy than his mother.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #453
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I would say it puts more evidence towards his father being that guy than his mother.
    Could also be because of his training with the clan he's considered part of their heritage. It's about 1000X more likely it's due to his parentage, but I'm just throwing it out there.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Could also be because of his training with the clan he's considered part of their heritage. It's about 1000X more likely it's due to his parentage, but I'm just throwing it out there.
    Oh yes certainly, the most logical explanation by far is just that this is random gamer lore, like where it suddenly turns out you got a magical bloodline after you picked the relevant feats, and not before.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Bugbear in the Playground

Come on, the vit gain is just too easy looking at the vit stats from people training for years. His abilities really are kinda cheap.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Banned

Hey, if grinding is all the reader gets to read, at least the character should feel some of our pain.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Come on, the vit gain is just too easy looking at the vit stats from people training for years. His abilities really are kinda cheap.
    Well, have to remember that the Gamer Body skill lets him recover in half an hour, which lets him get in far more training in a shorter period of time then a normal person. So I'd wager it's not just that he's gaining points faster, it's that he can train in a more condensed time so he sees quicker gains.
    Last edited by Dragoa; 2014-08-07 at 02:55 PM.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Banned

80% certain Jee-Han being a bull**** character will be narratively significant somewhere down the line, instead of just a recurring gag to lampshade his rapid powerups.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

Come on Jee-han. If you want to explain to someone how you do a lot of money without working, you can use the magical economic words
    "Stocks, equity, investment" and simply make **** up

"Oh you know, I got a high-return from some double equity investments I did in the past and now I'm looking at some high-risk stocks since I got enough of the low-risk ones to have a nice net value"

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGod View Post
    Come on Jee-han. If you want to explain to someone how you do a lot of money without working, you can use the magical economic words

"Oh you know, I got a high-return from some double equity investments I did in the past and now I'm looking at some high-risk stocks since I got enough of the low-risk ones to have a nice net value"
    'Stocks, equity, investment' only works when somebody on the street is asking.

When the taxman from the government comes calling, you'd better be able to provide something more concrete and produce documentation about where you got your money.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGod View Post

"I'm synergizing my core competencies in high-yield environments."
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

12. - Top - End - #462
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    "I'm synergizing my core competencies in high-yield environments."
    I could swear I know the thing that's from, but I don't know which thing it is. :o

13. - Top - End - #463

14. - Top - End - #464
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    80% certain Jee-Han being a bull**** character will be narratively significant somewhere down the line, instead of just a recurring gag to lampshade his rapid powerups.
    Are you implying there will be plot at some point? That's a bold statement.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Are you implying there will be plot at some point? That's a bold statement.
    I'm certain it's in the plot notes--I'm just not sure the toonist (?) will get to it before he dies of old age.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    'Stocks, equity, investment' only works when somebody on the street is asking.

When the taxman from the government comes calling, you'd better be able to provide something more concrete and produce documentation about where you got your money.
    *I'm studying to be an accountant in the US, I don't know how things work in Korea

Actually, as long as you declare all your income and pay taxes on it, the IRS doesn't really care where you got your money from. The whole point of laundering money is just pretending that you earned it through legitimate business so that you can pay taxes on it and get to spend it without anyone caring. As an example, Al Capone got in trouble not because of how he was earning his money, but that he didn't pay taxes on it.

Could you be targeted for investigation for declaring income and paying taxes on it without some sort of "legitimate business?" Sure. On the other hand, it's not like the protagonist is breaking any laws. What would an investigation of him actually turn up? He isn't doing anything different than someone that say... makes valuable wood carvings. He puts in time and effort and gets to sell the goods as a result. As long as he isn't breaking the law and pays taxes, nobody in the government will care.
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

He is creating counterfeit money, though.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

18. - Top - End - #468
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    OR the money is coming from somewhere, which would be even more interesting.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    I may have misread earlier chapters, but it seems to me he is creating items, not cash. In that case, all he has to do is sell them and pay taxes on the profit (which is essentially all the money he brings in.)

From what I've seen, and very, very rough estimates of exchange rates, the cash he's gotten has been less than what would be acceptable as a gift.
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    I may have misread earlier chapters, but it seems to me he is creating items, not cash. In that case, all he has to do is sell them and pay taxes on the profit (which is essentially all the money he brings in.)

From what I've seen, and very, very rough estimates of exchange rates, the cash he's gotten has been less than what would be acceptable as a gift.
    Bosses drop cash.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

21. - Top - End - #471
    Banned

Another possibility is that, with Gaia on his side, the money is retroactively legitimate. Game characters are stupid broken, after all.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    *I'm studying to be an accountant in the US, I don't know how things work in Korea

Actually, as long as you declare all your income and pay taxes on it, the IRS doesn't really care where you got your money from. The whole point of laundering money is just pretending that you earned it through legitimate business so that you can pay taxes on it and get to spend it without anyone caring. As an example, Al Capone got in trouble not because of how he was earning his money, but that he didn't pay taxes on it.

Could you be targeted for investigation for declaring income and paying taxes on it without some sort of "legitimate business?" Sure. On the other hand, it's not like the protagonist is breaking any laws. What would an investigation of him actually turn up? He isn't doing anything different than someone that say... makes valuable wood carvings. He puts in time and effort and gets to sell the goods as a result. As long as he isn't breaking the law and pays taxes, nobody in the government will care.
    You're misrepresenting what happened to Al Capone. They WANTED to nail him for his various criminal activities. He was very much in trouble because of how he was earning his money. The only problem was the government couldn't PROVE it. Settling on tax evasion was very much a last resort.

Laundering money isn't just a simple matter of saying 'LOL I got the money through stocks'. You have to be able to provide concrete proof of where the cash flow is coming from. Money laundering is exactly what Sun-Il is saying the company does for wizards. Hence why they are used in the Abyss.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Banned

It doesn't really matter how tax collection and money laundering works. What matters is how the author thinks it works.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    It doesn't really matter how tax collection and money laundering works. What matters is how the author thinks it works.
    Hush, don't ruin the discussion.

Anyways, I don't think the money is 'counterfeit' because it looks identical to real money. So it would be more or less impossible to tell if it was counterfeit or not.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Firbolg in the Playground

I could swear I know the thing that's from, but I don't know which thing it is. :o
    If you translate the buzzspeak, it gives "I'm using my skills together in a place where it is profitable to do so", which is exactly what he's doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

26. - Top - End - #476
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    If you translate the buzzspeak, it gives "I'm using my skills together in a place where it is profitable to do so", which is exactly what he's doing.
    Well, yeah, I guess it wasn't nearly so meaningless as deliberately gibberish corporatespeak.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

New chapter is up.

And so the ball begins to roll. Going to have to re-read this one when I can focus a bit more on it, since the speed translation made it a little tricky to follow off a quick read. But either way, seems like something big is about to go down(likely on the Date to tie it all together).

Also, I'm thinking the black plague will give Jee Han a chance to level up the curse removal to the point that he can possibly get the curse out of the daughter.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Banned

Date out of nowhere! Meh. But, more confirmation that Jee-Han's mom is the Existence Eater. And while watching bad guys IRC chat is boring, at least they're chatting about plot, which means the grinding should be winding down, which is good for a hurrah or three.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Colossus in the Playground

Date out of nowhere! Meh. But, more confirmation that Jee-Han's mom is the Existence Eater. And while watching bad guys IRC chat is boring, at least they're chatting about plot, which means the grinding should be winding down, which is good for a hurrah or three.
    The speed translation says an Existence Eater. Is it inaccurate, or are there actually many?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

You mean more confirmation she is not?

We have people here who appears to be rather well informed, and who continues to call the Existence Eater he.

Though it does of course confuse the issue a little when we have someone talking about it as if there were more than one.