New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gamer

1. - Top - End - #751
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: The Gamer

"It's been a while since you called me."
    "Yeah, uh, you're strong, but you look super dumb. However, I need your power more than I care about people knowing I hang out with Child-Limb-Jafar and Buffalo Wings."

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spojaz View Post
    "It's been a while since you called me."
    "Yeah, uh, you're strong, but you look super dumb. However, I need your power more than I care about people knowing I hang out with Child-Limb-Jafar and Buffalo Wings."
    Witch of Slaughter: ... so Devil Beride and Devil Jagan were totally powerful, but they were, like, completely dumb-looking.
    Dylan: Indeed. A most grave conundrum you faced.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2015-01-23 at 02:51 AM.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Wooooooooah, what? Goetic Demons?

Gentlemen and ladies, I believe these dumb looking guys are Andras and Marchosias.

EDIT Wellll maybe not Andras, he has to have the birdhead I guess.
    Last edited by Otomodachi; 2015-01-27 at 12:44 AM.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

New Chapter!

Clever tactic ahoy! Although the whole 'game' focus in this one was pretty awkward and out of place in what should be a fairly super tense situation.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoa View Post
    New Chapter!

Clever tactic ahoy! Although the whole 'game' focus in this one was pretty awkward and out of place in what should be a fairly super tense situation.
    Why would it be tense? There are a bunch of weenies that are being wiped out, with no real threats around. This update had more jokes than most we've seen so far. It's very clearly the calm before the storm. Though personally I'm concerned that after voice chat comes streaming and then pro gaming.

That aside, the "XP distribution" option seems very valuable when fighting alongside super high level guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #756
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why would it be tense? There are a bunch of weenies that are being wiped out, with no real threats around. This update had more jokes than most we've seen so far. It's very clearly the calm before the storm. Though personally I'm concerned that after voice chat comes streaming and then pro gaming.

That aside, the "XP distribution" option seems very valuable when fighting alongside super high level guys.
    Are we going to start getting people streaming their attempts at living in the abyss? Maybe have some people commentate on the whole thing?

For 'tense' I dunno, you see a high level character summon up something she hasn't done in a while in defense of a target that the main character is supposed to be invading, seems like something that should have at least a moment or two of 'ahh oh no', not jokes about the wifi speed in hell.

7. - Top - End - #757

I never got the impression he was invading anything. Sure, he's going over there, and the Witch and Warrior are supposed to be defending it from enemies, but he's not one of them.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ettin in the Playground

Of course there's voice chat. And hey, no awkward misunderstanding jokes about forming a party, so that's a plus.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Otomodachi View Post
    Wooooooooah, what? Goetic Demons?

Gentlemen and ladies, I believe these dumb looking guys are Andras and Marchosias.

EDIT Wellll maybe not Andras, he has to have the birdhead I guess.
    Not sure about 'Jagan' (Marchosias seems like a fair guess) but I would place 'Beride' as Berith or maybe Eligor. Probably Berith, given that name can be corrupted into Beride pretty easily.

Edit: Oh, I see at least the Mangacow translation has them titled as Berith and Zagan. Yeah, ok, that makes more sense. Didn't recognize Zagan because he somehow has not shown up in Shin Megami games.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2015-01-29 at 02:53 PM.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Han Jee-Han: Um, you know how I wasn't suitably impressed about that "Sage" thing earlier? I'm impressed now. My gamer ability says your level is 142, that's like 3 times the highest I've ever seen on anyone who didn't just have question marks for their level.

Nice to get some context for the audience too. We now have a concrete indicator of just how far Han still has to go to reach the big leagues. He may be out of the trash tier, above the ranks of the common folk (even considering only ability users), but his power is still nothing compared to the real heavy hitters.

Of course, this makes me wonder how BS fits in, with having hired two mercenaries that are each three times his own level, and yet them taking it seriously when he says to call him for backup against the really big threats.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Of course, this makes me wonder how BS fits in, with having hired two mercenaries that are each three times his own level, and yet them taking it seriously when he says to call him for backup against the really big threats.
    I'm guessing he has some really seriously impressive summons available that don't translate well into personal level. Like, imagine if Jee Han managed to grind out 20 more levels using *nothing* except elemental summoning and golems. Not fighting for xp, not training his other talents at the same time, just repeatedly creating the beefiest elementals and golems he can. He'd 'only' be level 54, and the only direct improvement he would have had from that would be the extra stat points.. but his summons would be like level 1000. Or evolved version 10/Level 99 or whatever. He could probably awaken the planet, either as an Earth elemental or a golem.

12. - Top - End - #762

It seems that the "levels" thing Jee Han sees doesn't account very well for powerful unique abilities, such as his own. It's possible that Black Summoner possesses a similar power that isn't reflected in his level and stats but makes him very dangerous to powerful but solitary opponents.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

13. - Top - End - #763
    Firbolg in the Playground

Okay, the aside about the demon-gods pooling their power together to get Internet in hell so that the demons can play Korean MMOs is just hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

14. - Top - End - #764
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Witch of Slaughter: ... so Devil Beride and Devil Jagan were totally powerful, but they were, like, completely dumb-looking.
    Dylan: Indeed. A most grave conundrum you faced.
    How did you know their names so early? Are you self-translating the Raw?
    Anyway, I still think of Zajan (president of hell) as buffalo wings. heh.

15. - Top - End - #765

Speaking of which, how can Hell have both a President and a Grand Duke?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ettin in the Playground

Han Jee-Han: Um, you know how I wasn't suitably impressed about that "Sage" thing earlier? I'm impressed now. My gamer ability says your level is 142, that's like 3 times the highest I've ever seen on anyone who didn't just have question marks for their level.

Nice to get some context for the audience too. We now have a concrete indicator of just how far Han still has to go to reach the big leagues. He may be out of the trash tier, above the ranks of the common folk (even considering only ability users), but his power is still nothing compared to the real heavy hitters.

We have no idea what level the BS is currently. In the time since we have seen him, every other character has gained 10+ levels.

There is also the very distinct possibility that the BS we saw originally was not, in fact, the actual physical one, but some sort of lower level projection/construct/shapeshifting summon. We've already seen the Mother go from ??? to medium level then back to ???, suggesting that it was some sort of construct/illusion, but it gave no indication other than it's level that it was not the real Mother. Given how the Black Summoner seems to be somewhat of a threat to the entire Yun Hon clan, it would be very easy for the author to pull that out and say 'Hahaha the REAL Black Summoner is level 250'.

And of course there is the possibility that he has formed summoning contracts with beings much more powerful than he might be himself. Even if he is level 50, that doesn't mean he hasn't made some sort of tribute/deal with a level 500 demon - which may be what he was sucking up all those zombie souls for. 50,000 zombie souls = 1 hour of level 500 soul-eating demon under his control, or something along those lines.

Also, remember, 'level' is something that ONLY Jee-Han can see. Other than their own senses everybody else has no way of actually quantifying another being's power. Black Summoner was pretty confident he could beat an A rank that the other 2 didn't believe they could, and the other's seemed pretty willing to accept it.

Also - remember, both of them ARE still ????. He can see their exact level ONLY because they are now in his party (pretty true in most games - you can see levels and stats of direct allies no matter how high, but the same level on an enemy or even a neutral will be ???). We still have no comparison for their power level relative to the Mother or the Chunbumoon Elder.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of which, how can Hell have both a President and a Grand Duke?
    Most of the Goetic 72 are basically the same 5 demons repeated over and over, with whatever title somebody thought sounded neat. I wouldn't think about it too hard. Probably somebody wrote down a ritual claiming to summon a Duke, and then somebody else said 'oh yeah? Well I know how to bind a GRAND Duke!' and then even later on when Presidents started being a thing somebody else went "hmm, these feudal demons are so last century. I bet I can bind a President!'

18. - Top - End - #768
    Banned

What will Jee-han do when he runs into the true bane of all gamers? Lag.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    What will Jee-han do when he runs into the true bane of all gamers? Lag.
    Complain and call bs
    Its not about having good grades It's about passing the semester

Currently Playing

Sorin Dalmark
    Nicholas (Nick if he likes you) Lorchester
    Jeqem Ashthorn

20. - Top - End - #770
    Dwarf in the Playground

Unless he somehow gets a new Ability to let him share XP better, that is not the case. That aspect of Parties only works within 10 levels of difference, remember?

21. - Top - End - #771

Quote Originally Posted by danelsan View Post
    Unless he somehow gets a new Ability to let him share XP better, that is not the case. That aspect of Parties only works within 10 levels of difference, remember?
    He got an Ability for washing dishes. I think we can expect him to make anything into one (except teleporting, clearly).
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

22. - Top - End - #772
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

New Chapter(Well last weeks chapter, just I can actually get mangajoy to load entirely now)

For someone who should be protecting the area from intruders, the witch seems oddly trusting of Jee-Han(far more then I'd expect the summoner to allow).

Also is the fiery little red-head(I seriously suck with names...) is getting a crush oooOoooOOooOoo.

And looks like a new challenger approaches?

23. - Top - End - #773
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

New Chapter!

Bit of a spacer here.

And a little bit more.

Looks like we're finally seeing some higher ranks go at it. Also Zagan's ability seems either poorly translated, or really sorta lame. Doesn't the Chun-Bu Breathing technique already give Jee-Han more of a boost then 10%?

24. - Top - End - #774
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not a boost of 10%, he can use 10% of his power while summoned which is presumably a better percentage than others get.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2015-02-12 at 12:20 PM.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Not a boost of 10%, he can use 10% of his power while summoned which is presumably a better percentage than others get.
    Yep--the restricted demons only get 5%.

26. - Top - End - #776

Wow. The Witch said that she would have trouble with A-rank guys, and here comes an S-rank. If ranks and levels are at all related, all Jee Han will be able to do is run away, or maybe use his Gamer's Mind to coordinate his party members strategically.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

27. - Top - End - #777
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wow. The Witch said that she would have trouble with A-rank guys, and here comes an S-rank. If ranks and levels are at all related, all Jee Han will be able to do is run away, or maybe use his Gamer's Mind to coordinate his party members strategically.
    I would totally love the second one. Way better than a lame "sneak attack to distract bad guy while someone else kills him".
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

Am i the only one who though this chapter were rather.. mediocre..?

I dont know if it was the translation.. but it certainly seemed like there were a huge drop in quality.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ettin in the Playground

It's probably because the main character barely appeared in this chapter.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Am i the only one who though this chapter were rather.. mediocre..?

I dont know if it was the translation.. but it certainly seemed like there were a huge drop in quality.
    Might just be the art style on the demons, they still look kinda weird and out of place, and it doesn't really mesh well with the normal art style(they were also the focus of this one). Which now that I write out, might be the intent, but the art style is still...kinda childish? for all that.

But it's also just setting up threats right now/massive shows of power without a sense to gauge them by. I mean the big action sequence was basically demon A slamming into man B. Nothing happened at all between them because they were I guess evenly matched, but we don't really have any sense of how strong either is beyond 'They're a rank S' so we don't know what they're capable of in relation to Jee-Han.