New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 82324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: The Gamer

1. - Top - End - #961
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Gamer

Way behind everyone else, but on chapter fifty I'm really thinking he should have cashed in those favours on something like 'okay, tell me what's going on with the Summoner, the two clans, the bounty hunters etc, as far as you know', rather than minimal cash and a date. They want to discharge obligations, you need this information. Win win. Priorities, kid.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Way behind everyone else, but on chapter fifty I'm really thinking he should have cashed in those favours on something like 'okay, tell me what's going on with the Summoner, the two clans, the bounty hunters etc, as far as you know', rather than minimal cash and a date. They want to discharge obligations, you need this information. Win win. Priorities, kid.
    And miss out on a chance to start his harem? What sort of anime gamer would he be without one of those :P

3. - Top - End - #963
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

New Chapter!

And looks like things are going to start rolling now.

Bit of space.

Bit more space.

So their plot seems to be to grab normal people and pull them into the Illusion Barrier to then steal their thought power to fuel whatever their god creation plans are. And tsk tsk tsk Jee-Han going back into the Labyrinth by yourself.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Ettin in the Playground

i'm waiting for a window to pop up
    'your harem increased by 1'

5. - Top - End - #965
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoa View Post
    So their plot seems to be to grab normal people and pull them into the Illusion Barrier
    Wasn't there some kind of rule that this is impossible?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #966
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    My guess is because it's something they opt into, it makes it more powerful/able to circumvent some rules, since they were a willing but unwitting target for whatever the spell is. Does seem like this would violate Gaia's 'Don't intefer' with the real world thing, but since they take people and put them into illusion barriers where this sort of stuff seems to be ok, might hit a nice little grey zone.

Also since Jee-Han entered into the barrier, it might have changed up some of the rules(like what happened with the ogre training room after he went inside of it).
    Last edited by Dragoa; 2015-10-08 at 12:35 PM.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoa View Post
    And tsk tsk tsk Jee-Han going back into the Labyrinth by yourself.
    As I understand it, Loli and Jee-Han's recent visit to the Labyrinth was really about learning to subvert its power gathering mechanism. Loli was figuring out how to meddle with it directly, while Jee-Han was learning to create his own so it wouldn't be connected to the villain in the first place.

If that's right, it adds another confusing wrinkle to the question of how Jee-Han and Class President ended up in the same instance.

Maybe it's depending on people dismissing the whole thing as a strange dream, since it pulls them in when they're sleeping?
    Last edited by Douglas; 2015-10-08 at 01:09 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

8. - Top - End - #968

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    If that's right, it adds another confusing wrinkle to the question of how Jee-Han and Class President ended up in the same instance.
    Maybe Jee Han inadvertently copied all the properties of the Labyrinth, in addition to the "kidnap people into it" ability? Or maybe the Labyrinth can create a copy of anyone that's been in it.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ettin in the Playground

I think there are 2 key points that may be allowing them to suck people into the Labyrinth without consequences.

1) The first key point here is CONSENT.

Whether she knew it was real or not, the Class President EXPLICITLY AGREED to be transported to the labyrinth. That alone may be enough to override any backlash from Gaia regarding affecting normal people

2) The game/Labyrinth may have actually granted her powers before transporting her to the Labyrinth - note how it said 'earn those powers'. So it may have granted her extremely weak powers to give it an acceptable excuse to suck them in, then when they die in the Labyrinth it can re-absorb all those powers PLUS their thought/life energy for a net gain.

Since we didn't actually see what would happen if a 'normal' person got injured/killed in the labyrinth, 'dying' in the Labyrinth may not actually kill somebody, just drain their energy. Then they would wake up exhausted but brush it off as a crazy dream (so The Masquerade hasn't been broken and no feedback against the creators necessary).

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    I think there are 2 key points that may be allowing them to suck people into the Labyrinth without consequences.

1) The first key point here is CONSENT.

Whether she knew it was real or not, the Class President EXPLICITLY AGREED to be transported to the labyrinth. That alone may be enough to override any backlash from Gaia regarding affecting normal people

2) The game/Labyrinth may have actually granted her powers before transporting her to the Labyrinth - note how it said 'earn those powers'. So it may have granted her extremely weak powers to give it an acceptable excuse to suck them in, then when they die in the Labyrinth it can re-absorb all those powers PLUS their thought/life energy for a net gain.

Since we didn't actually see what would happen if a 'normal' person got injured/killed in the labyrinth, 'dying' in the Labyrinth may not actually kill somebody, just drain their energy. Then they would wake up exhausted but brush it off as a crazy dream (so The Masquerade hasn't been broken and no feedback against the creators necessary).
    EDIT:

I was thinking about this a bit more, and the more I think, the more I'm sure that #1 is the key point.

A great example is Sun-Il. He is not a natural ability user. That means that at some point he was a 'normal'. But he had to be told about the Abyss by SOMEBODY in order to start training.

So there may be an exception built into the Gaia 'no interference' policy to allow them to recruit normals. The Labyrinth is most likely exploiting this loophole by asking people if they want to obtain power, then throwing them into the Labyrinth to die. After all, nothing said they had to actually give them a FAIR chance to obtain power, right?

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

11. - Top - End - #971

Spoiler: New comic
    Show
    Looks like I was right-ish - Jee Han's labyrinth was the one that had absorbed the person. However, since it's a clone...did it copy the class president, with one dying in the dungeon and the other being saved by Jee Han?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: New comic
    Show
    Looks like I was right-ish - Jee Han's labyrinth was the one that had absorbed the person. However, since it's a clone...did it copy the class president, with one dying in the dungeon and the other being saved by Jee Han?
    That.... is a very valid question. Jee-Han's ability seems to have created entities with at least some level of self-awareness, so it may not be out of the question.

However, given the generally optimistic tone of the comic, I'm going to go with 'no, it's that real one'.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ettin in the Playground

HOLY **** I just busted out laughing when I had a thought.

The last panel said that Jee-Han gave her some extra clothes he'd been keeping.

So far, we've only seen him loot ONE item of clothing... the Ogre Panties.

Last edited by Olinser; 2015-10-15 at 07:23 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

14. - Top - End - #974

HOLY **** I just busted out laughing when I had a thought.

The last panel said that Jee-Han gave her some extra clothes he'd been keeping.

So far, we've only seen him loot ONE item of clothing... the Ogre Panties.

Hey, they ARE super-powerful!
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

15. - Top - End - #975
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

"Hi class president, I know you think this is a dream. So here, wear these."

Also by the looks of that harem face, our little Jee-Han's is growing so fast.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Bugbear in the Playground

New chapter
    Spoiler
    Show
    If that works that might be the most broken part of his ability (if he is inclined to abuse it.) The ability to powerlevel someone combined with giving them magic could give him the ability to create an army out of normal people at a fairly fast rate compared to the training speed of martial artists. To make them good single combatants would of course take time but even a group of people who can pile on the damage with spells would be powerful. He could farm money, hire mercenaries and then powerlevel them to make them a threat.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    New chapter
    Spoiler
    Show
    If that works that might be the most broken part of his ability (if he is inclined to abuse it.) The ability to powerlevel someone combined with giving them magic could give him the ability to create an army out of normal people at a fairly fast rate compared to the training speed of martial artists. To make them good single combatants would of course take time but even a group of people who can pile on the damage with spells would be powerful. He could farm money, hire mercenaries and then powerlevel them to make them a threat.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe, although it feels like someone else's power is what really pulled her into the world of the Abyss -- I'm not sure he could just take a normal person and empower them on his own.

On the other hand, presumably magic is passed on somehow...? Non-natural ability users like the martial artists and wizards must have a way to train new members, so presumably his is just a faster way of doing that, just like he can train himself more quickly.

18. - Top - End - #978

Wait, wasn't this the student that was an unusually high level and had oddly high stats in the beginning? Maybe that's an indication of potential for the Abyss.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

19. - Top - End - #979
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes. She was actually level 10 with 54 Int then. Either the leveling system is more dynamic than we thought, this isn't the same person, the author screwed up, or the translator screwed up. Care to bet which it is?

20. - Top - End - #980

It's also possible that the one in his Dungeon is a copy of the one that was transported into the real Dungeon - and since Jee Han is weaker than the dungeon's creators (probably), it's not as powerful as the real deal.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

21. - Top - End - #981
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Yes. She was actually level 10 with 54 Int then. Either the leveling system is more dynamic than we thought, this isn't the same person, the author screwed up, or the translator screwed up. Care to bet which it is?
    Heavy money is usually on the translator in these cases.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

22. - Top - End - #982
    Dwarf in the Playground

Heavy money is usually on the translator in these cases.
    Apparently her level was 10 on the raw (untranslated) version of the earlier chapter so, if it is a translation error, it is in this chapter and not the earlier one. From comments I have read, it would not be the first time the author makes things numbered different from earlier instances.

In this case, however, I have seen some speculation on it being an effect of the Dungeon: either because she is being "translated" into the dungeon with less than her usual capacity because this version of the Labyrinth was made by Jee Han, who is presumably less powerful than whoever made the original one OR because the "collecting thought power" thing the dungeon does might reduce her intelligence (and, since that was her major asset, her overall level).

I still find translation error or authorial inconsistency to be more likely, though.

23. - Top - End - #983
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by danelsan View Post
    I still find translation error or authorial inconsistency to be more likely, though.
    Yeah, my guess is that the earlier numbers were a throwaway comment he didn't think much about and using a character he had no plans for. Then later he came up with plans for her but didn't remember he had ever established her numbers, and made up new ones. That, or the old numbers were too high to fit the new plan so he decided to quietly retcon them.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

24. - Top - End - #984
    Ettin in the Playground

It seems weird, though. The numerical comparison was the only thing she was used for before, so I'd expect him to double-check.

It's not a big deal either way I guess.

EDIT: Here is the most recent RAW. The numbers in the text are in English, and it looks like there's a 7 and a 21 there. So I'd assume this is an error by the author (I don't think it's an effect of the dungeon; wouldn't Jee-Han have noticed? Why would he be shocked by her high intelligence when it used to be even higher?)
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2015-10-25 at 05:48 AM.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah him being shocked suggests that the author forgot about him checking her stats before.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGirl

Dammit. Just lost my sunday to this thing. :P
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

27. - Top - End - #987

Quote Originally Posted by VariaVespasa View Post
    Dammit. Just lost my sunday to this thing. :P
    Hate to break it to you, but it's already Tuesday.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

28. - Top - End - #988
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGirl

Hate to break it to you, but it's already Tuesday.
    Sunova.....
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Meh, I took it as the terminology I hear all the time where I work. "My Friday" is the last day you work before a two or three day break, regardless of when it actually is, and "My Saturday/Sunday" are those days. So the guy who works the Friday-Tuesday shift calls Tuesday "My Friday" and Thursday is "My Friday".

As for the class President? Either the writer screwed up, or the dungeon stole her levels.

My money would be on the first option
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2015-10-28 at 02:49 PM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

30. - Top - End - #990
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

New Chapter!

Aww looks like Jee-Han is slowly getting another love interest

Although, him passing on parts of his abilities, seems...absurdly broken.