New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: My Little Pony LXXIV: Hats Are Technology!

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Heh, pretty amusing. :)

S4 Daring Don't
    Spoiler
    Show
    I *Still* am curious about the fact Do and all her villains are real beings. Have they read the books? Does Celestia know Ahuizotl is a threat that could potentially cause Equestria some problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    Spoiler: S4
    Show
    Celestia probably considers him small fry. After all, he's only after one valley somewhere in the far north, where it doesn't even look like anypony lives in (except those tribal ones, but they'll get what they signed up for).
    Spoiler: S4e4 Daring Don't
    Show
    Also note that:
    • Celestia is never shown to be some all-powerful god-like entity that the fandom likes to make her into, and so her ability to fly around and just imprison/obliterate potential threats likely isn't there, and
    • Given A. K. Yearling's remote house in the woods and the temple even further away from that, there's not much guarantee that it's even located in Equestria anymore.

Plus, if she was going to start blowing up potential threats to ponies, there's an entire forest full of them much closer to home.

As a side note, I will say that I liked the Rainbow/Twilight geeking out. And all the general Daring Do stuff, including title drops. And I feel your pain in needing to wait for the next book, Rainbow. I really do.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

2. - Top - End - #62
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    Spoiler: S4
    Show
    Celestia probably considers him small fry. After all, he's only after one valley somewhere in the far north, where it doesn't even look like anypony lives in (except those tribal ones, but they'll get what they signed up for).
    S4 Daring Don't
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is true. I just feel that Ahiz-whateverhisnameis (that's AJ) is just one "Alicorn Amulet" away from becoming credible. In theory (but then, see King Sombra and the Crystal Empire. Far away land with a dude that worked his way to the top). They do seem to deal with a lot of lost relics that have some annoying mystical powers in them.

Oh, and did anyone else think Lord of the Rings when that ring fell into the fire?
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2013-12-07 at 02:18 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

S4 Daring Don't
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is true. I just feel that Ahiz-whateverhisnameis (that's AJ) is just one "Alicorn Amulet" away from becoming credible. In theory (but then, see King Sombra and the Crystal Empire. Far away land with a dude that worked his way to the top). They do seem to deal with a lot of lost relics that have some annoying mystical powers in them.

Oh, and did anyone else think Lord of the Rings when that ring fell into the fire?
    Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    I would be very surprised if it wasn't a fully intended reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Just watched today's ep. One of the best, imo. Felt wonderful at the end. Much awesome.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sure we'll get around to working out all the wonky details of Daring Do actually being real at some point, but, it's not like her power scale is really out of whack or anything. The books make her money to fund her adventuring and they only record past events (and leave out details like knowing how the rings work to hold up the fortress), so I doubt that either she or Ahuizotl care all that much. Plus, Daring gets to wear those nice red glasses for a change of pace.
    Spoiler: Episode
    Show
    I'm just wondering if Dr.Cablahblah or Azuizotl get any money from the books.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2013-12-07 at 02:30 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

Spoiler: S4 Daring Don't
    Show
    Wait, if Daring Do wants to keep all of this a secret why did she write books about it?!?!

Indiana Jones travel-by-map reference was nice.

Another day another stupidly delayed death trap. Also Daring Do must be pretty strong to pull those stones out of the wall and then crush them to pieces.

What kind of idiot makes removing a single ring destroy their entire fortress? Oh wait, a Dwarf. Losing is fun!

Overall, I liked the episode. Not to happy about the whole "it was real the whole time" plot twist but I must admit I did not see it coming. Also, RD's character development was interesting.

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    Show
    S4 Daring
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wouldn't that be like funding evil though?

If it's all real, perhaps Daring is just educating ponies about these dangers in a subconscious way through entertaining novels? Kinda like how there are all these parody guides on "How to survive Zombie Apocalypse", but that many of them actually have legit info on what to do should there be a viral outbreak of something dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Master View Post
    Spoiler: S4 Daring Don't
    Show
    Overall, I liked the episode. Not to happy about the whole "it was real the whole time" plot twist but I must admit I did not see it coming. Also, RD's character development was interesting.
    S4 Do
    Spoiler
    Show
    I would have found it funny if the whole thing was staged and everyone's just actors playing out the book because that's how they write them. They don't tell the Mane6 it's fake because their honest reactions actually help Do figure out some points for the story.

Sort of like those cartoons where the hero stops some crooks robbing a bank but it turns out the hero accidentally walked onto a movie set.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

S4 Daring Don't
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    ummmm, that was straight outta Indiana Jones
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

7. - Top - End - #67

Non-Spoiler Daring Do versus Adventure
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    ummmm, that was straight outta Indiana Jones
    S4 Daring
    Spoiler
    Show
    In Indiana Jones, it was a disk that was thrown into the fire during the bar brawl. Didn't glow, but was very hot and the nazi who picked it up noticeably burned his hand.

I thought Lord of the Rings first because it was a ring and the ring glows when set on fire. Just missing the Elvish writing. Though in LotR, there was no brawl. :3
    Digo Dragon - Artist

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Upon a second watching (this is the first episode of the season I've watched twice ... what's happening to me? ) I had surprisingly few issues with this episode and quite enjoyed it. Great work, Polsky! I guess I can maybe forgive you for Feeling Pinkie Keen if you keep this up.

Spoiler: Daring Don't
    Show
    So, I notice that Dash apparently lives quite well. Not news, exactly, but that view of her home at the end further confirms that she's got lots of space and fancy statues and all. It's practically a miniature princess castle.

I'm going to make it my headcanon that Daring is Dash's long-lost mother, and that she sends the majority of what she earns from her books to her family in Equestria. That's how Dash got her fancy sky castle, with money from a mother she has never met.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

S4 Daring Don't
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome. Nothing like being one mystical relic away from being credible to justify doing ANOTHER EPISODE!

Also, that was true for Trixie as well and...yeah, given the setting, I'm not sure that being one powerful mystical relic away from being a credible threat even gets you out of the bottom half of the power tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    I would be very surprised if it wasn't a fully intended reference.

Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can't imagine why they would. Equestria doesn't have much in the way of intellectual property laws that I've seen thus far. Besides, they're figures of public interest, they can suck it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Upon a second watching (this is the first episode of the season I've watched twice ... what's happening to me? ) I had surprisingly few issues with this episode and quite enjoyed it. Great work, Polsky! I guess I can maybe forgive you for Feeling Pinkie Keen if you keep this up.

Show
    So, I notice that Dash apparently lives quite well. Not news, exactly, but that view of her home at the end further confirms that she's got lots of space and fancy statues and all. It's practically a miniature princess castle.

I'm going to make it my headcanon that Daring is Dash's long-lost mother, and that she sends the majority of what she earns from her books to her family in Equestria. That's how Dash got her fancy sky castle, with money from a mother she has never met.
    Spoiler: Dashie's abode
    Show
    That or being head weathermare of a town that involves managing something like 50 other pegasi actually pays well. Have you ever managed 50 people on anything? It is, not to put too fine a point on it, a bitch.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

10. - Top - End - #70

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, that was true for Trixie as well and...yeah, given the setting, I'm not sure that being one powerful mystical relic away from being a credible threat even gets you out of the bottom half of the power tier.
    S4 Do
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, it could elevate you to where a regular pony won't stop you. Thus need to send a princess like Twi, or maybe make use of Discord...
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Dashie's abode
    Show
    That or being head weathermare of a town that involves managing something like 50 other pegasi actually pays well. Have you ever managed 50 people on anything? It is, not to put too fine a point on it, a bitch.
    True, Dash's abode was never the hardest one to explain (that honor probably goes to Fluttershy), but that doesn't exclude my theory, and I like the idea. It's also worth noting that Dash appears to be the only pegasus in Ponyville with a cloud house of any kind.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

True, Dash's abode was never the hardest one to explain (that honor probably goes to Fluttershy), but that doesn't exclude my theory, and I like the idea. It's also worth noting that Dash appears to be the only pegasus in Ponyville with a cloud house of any kind.
    It's a giant tree. Given she's apparently a veterinarian and a pet shop, she should be able to afford her home. It's not that big either. Probably smaller than the library.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    It's a giant tree. Given she's apparently a veterinarian and a pet shop, she should be able to afford her home. It's not that big either. Probably smaller than the library.
    Her home, perhaps, but she must spend a lot of money on food and other stuff to care for all those many, many animals. Also, I'm not convinced that she works as a vet, and even pet shop is debatable. She seems to help out with music at official events, too, but over all she doesn't really have a clearly defined job.

Also, it's a tree? Looks like a regular cottage with moss-covered roof. Twilight and Zecora are the only ones who live in trees, I'm pretty sure

14. - Top - End - #74
    Colossus in the Playground

Her home, perhaps, but she must spend a lot of money on food and other stuff to care for all those many, many animals. Also, I'm not convinced that she works as a vet, and even pet shop is debatable. She seems to help out with music at official events, too, but over all she doesn't really have a clearly defined job.

Also, it's a tree? Looks like a regular cottage with moss-covered roof. Twilight and Zecora are the only ones who live in trees, I'm pretty sure
    I'm pretty sure that Shy's cottage is a hobbit hole
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Gifs and screens from the latest episode.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fangirling Dash is best Dash

(Awesome face ver. 2.0)

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

SHORYUKEN! TATSUMAKI SENPYUU KYAKU!

Ow.

Awwww~ <3

Dat smirk.

Someone dubbed this guy "Nogan" due to his resemblence to Ganon.

Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Ho, ponythread. Back from convention (and spent a good couple of hours sorting out the ground work my mate's new fleet). Sadly, no Humorous Pictures this time, since I ran out of time and it was dark by the time I thought about it again.

Will watch new episode at some point later...

17. - Top - End - #77

It's also worth noting that Dash appears to be the only pegasus in Ponyville with a cloud house of any kind.
    It's a Cloudominium according to the Gamesoft game. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Shy's cottage is a hobbit hole
    Heeheehee... hobbit hole... well, the door and windows are almost circular, so there's merit right there. A bit high off the ground though.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Gifs and screens from the latest episode.
    Spoiler
    Show
    SHORYUKEN! TATSUMAKI SENPYUU KYAKU!
    S4 Daring Gifs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now that one is awesome.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #78
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Fluttershy's home is a pretty standard berm house, which yes, really is a thing. They aren't just stuff made up for Middle Earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

I made a gif of my own.
    Spoiler: S4E4
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: S4E4 reaction
    Show

Celestia dammit Polsky!!!!

That is all.

I managed to hit one of the Enterplay MLP CCG event and snagged myself a starter deck +Booster pack, the guys at the store where the event takes place mentioned that the actual booster pack won't be going on sale until the 13th.

I didn't stay to try out the game though, since I had further business, and now I'll have to wait until it actually goes on sale before I'd have someone to play against...
    Last edited by Kairaven; 2013-12-07 at 06:20 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Show
    This episode was okay but the premise is kind of meh and it has tons of plot holes. Like why Twilight didn't just grab the four goons in the first place and skip the entire rest of the episodes. Especially since they would have had to walk out the front door right past the Mane6.

I maintain that local wildlife caretaker is a government job in Equestria and thus Fluttershy is actually a civil servant.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HamHam View Post
    Show
    This episode was okay but the premise is kind of meh and it has tons of plot holes. Like why Twilight didn't just grab the four goons in the first place and skip the entire rest of the episodes. Especially since they would have had to walk out the front door right past the Mane6.

I maintain that local wildlife caretaker is a government job in Equestria and thus Fluttershy is actually a civil servant.
    Show
    Remember, Twi is just as much a Daring Do fan as Dash is. she was probably star struck.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy: Oh, it's Ranger Yearling, caretaker of Northwest Equestrian territories, I haven't seen her since the last Equestrian Park Service staff picnic

A.K: Oh hai Ranger Shy, long time no see, how goes the Everfree patrols?

RD+TS: YOU KNOW DARING DO!!!
    TS: come to think about it there was a mention of a Daring Do romantic interest in book 6 that sounded a lot like Fluttershy

FS: Oh my... I didn't know you wrote about that.

AK: I changed our names in the books.

RD: YOU DATED DARING DO!!!
    Last edited by Kairaven; 2013-12-07 at 06:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    So... this is irritating, I could have sworn I made a post on these threads back when Season 2 was airing about the possibility that the Daring Do novels were actually auto-biographical. But no amount of searching for said post has unearthed it. I guess I must have said it on some other site.

Anyhow I hope to never be right... ever again. Oh god that was one daft episode.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Episode initial thoughts:

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, there goes all the "Twilight's Mum/Dad is the Daring Doo Author" fanon...!

Okay, so now we have actual Daring Doo and actual Ahuizotl.

And... nopony, Celestia, considered this might be, I dunno, something that might be important?

Especially since the exist rings can bring about 800 years of eternal sunshine, apparently in defiance of the Princesses? No? *skullpalm*

I suppose that nopony knows everything, and the world is a big place, but you'd have thought that something within a reasonable distance of Canterlot travel might have been noticed in a thousand years of rule..

Also, Pinkie and the paint line. Genius.

I like the fact that the all stood like muppets watching Daring Doo get beat up on while fangirling. I was wondering when the penny would drop...

Right, back through to see thread thoughts...

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, Pinkie and the paint line. Genius.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unfortunately Pinkie's take on the gag seems rather tame after The Emperor's New Groove, step up your game girl!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

The moral of today's episode:
    Spoiler
    Show

Humanized spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show

Reaction image spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show

Edit:
    Spoiler: S4E4
    Show
    Anyone else notice that when Twi used her magic at the party, her entire hat glowed?
    Last edited by Beacon of Chaos; 2013-12-07 at 06:48 PM.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Episode initial thoughts:

Spoiler
    Show
    Especially since the exist rings can bring about 800 years of eternal sunshine, apparently in defiance of the Princesses? No? *skullpalm*
    Show
    It only affects a single valley, so my interpretation is that the rings focus the sunlight in some way to increase its power over an area, rather than affecting the sun in any way
    Last edited by Deadly; 2013-12-07 at 06:48 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler
    Show
    Also Rainbow getting hit with the Spike at Your Service Incompetence Bat was really terrible.

And this is basically further proof that the writers are either terrible at world building or just don't care.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Also Rainbow getting hit with the Spike at Your Service Incompetence Bat was really terrible.

And this is basically further proof that the writers are either terrible at world building or just don't care.
    Had the same writer as Spike at Your Service funnily enough.