New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default How do dragons move their hoard?

Has is ever been explained how a dragon who wants to change his lair's location can move his hoard? I mean.. if you think about it, there's usually quite a number of hard currency, gems and fragile treasures involved, and while I have no difficulty believing a dragon is quite agile, there's no way he would not drop a few if he tries to transport a thousand gold pieces in his claws.

Plus, he'd need to make multiple journeys.

Do dragons also happen to have hidden stocks of burlap sacks?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: How do dragons move their hoard?

That's why I keep lots of human and demi-human slaves. Having them move my stuff is much easier on my back.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The three big dragon hoards that pop to my mind in media are Fafnir, the firedrake of Beowulf, and Smaug.

Of these three only Fafnir ever moved his hoard, the other two found it and laired there. Fafnir was a human originally, whose miserly greed transformed him into a dragon after which he did not move his hoard. So the answer is typically that they don't.

Looking at Fafnir, and Smaug, my guess is that if they wanted to move it, they'd carry much of it in their mouths like crocodiles moving their young, more embedded in their chest, and a few select large pieces in their claws and it would take many, many trips.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Why would give you move the Hoard? You deposit your hoard with a banker, who issues you a piece of paper that says "Vermithrax owns 13x10^9 GP in assorted jewelry, magic items, and gold coins."

Then you fly off to your new lair, and find ANOTHER banker, and he deposits the same amount of loot in your new place of choice, minus a small transaction fee.
    You need to read more science fiction. Nobody who reads science fiction comes out with this crap about the end of history.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Axiomatic View Post
    Why would give you move the Hoard? You deposit your hoard with a banker, who issues you a piece of paper that says "Vermithrax owns 13x10^9 GP in assorted jewelry, magic items, and gold coins."

Then you fly off to your new lair, and find ANOTHER banker, and he deposits the same amount of loot in your new place of choice, minus a small transaction fee.
    Now I need to have an organization named "The Dragon Bank" in one of my fantasy world

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Now I need to have an organization named "The Dragon Bank" in one of my fantasy world
    I can just see it...the hero of your fantasy world busts into the dragon's lair to find him laying on a pile of bank statements

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by JDMSJR View Post
    I can just see it...the hero of your fantasy world busts into the dragon's lair to find him laying on a pile of bank statements
    "Let's get out to fight, or we'll burn the notes!"
    "Why do you want to fight me? The treasures? You need to have me backsign those to cash them, plus I need to present myself with my Draconic ID"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Eat it and then vomit it all up at the location of their choice.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Alternatively, some dragons start using magic. Some Bags of Holding and a Teleport will move quite a lot of gold. Especially given older dragons' carrying capacity.

(Depending on the kind of dragon, of course)
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2014-01-26 at 04:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

A dragon’s lair is not just a place to rest his head, it’s his home. A dragon’s home is his cave, to but a spin on an old saying. He’s going to spend a lot of time and resources making it as secure as possible, but still leave a bolt hole (he can always bushwhack the adventurer’s when they leave the lair). So a proper dragon’s lair will have the following characteristics:
    • Disguised locations, making them hard to detect
    • Hard to get to entrances /exits
    • Defended with death traps, minions, time wasters (mazes, puzzles, riddles etc),
    • Locked and barred exits
    • Security alarms, such as guards and wards and other spells/ tricks
    • Choke points and other such terrain features that allow for the dragon to fight on HIS terms
    • a secure (and hard to get to) vault where his treasure is safe from fire damage and adventurers/thieves
    • A lookout point so the dragon/ his minions can detect approaching food/prey/enemies (sorta all the same thing to a dragon).

So yeah, going into a dragon’s lair uninvited should be REALLY dangerous. A dragon should be the most dangerous foe a group of adventurer’s face. They ought to be take-able, but it should NEVER be easy, take a lot of preparation, and generally should be a high risk/high reward scenario. a dragon’s not going to give up his hoard without a fight (after all it took centuries to acquire all that loot, would you just hand it over to the first punk that came along with a sword? I think not!).

So when you think about it, it ought to be a very rare occurrence for a dragon to relocate, even unwillingly. So what’s driving that dragon out of his lair? He chose that spot for good reasons, he’s not going to abandon it on a whim (regardless of how chaotic a dragon happens to be). So whatever it is that’s making him want to relocate and place his treasure (the most valuable thing he has next to his life) at risk, is probably not a good thing. In fact, it might make for a good adventure for higher level characters; particularly those that have already dealt with a dragon before.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I've really thought about it, but my initial thought is that they're probably consume whatever they couldn't easily transport and start building a new one from scratch in their new location.

The mental image of a dragon on a mound of bank related papers is quite amusing though..

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

They murder a herd of cows, then enslave a nearby town and make them turn it into a gigantic bag which he then gets enchanted to hold ludicrous weight. At which point he starts hauling loot.

In all seriousness, they dont. They dont move. If they are strong enough to HAVE a hoard that would be hard to transport, there is very very little in the world that can make them move. As someone mentioned smaug I will use him. He came in there 100 years ago and wiped out an entire nation of dwarves on their home turf and took all their loot for his own. It took a deus ex machina to kill him 100 years later. Without that bald patch on his chest, he could have soloed the battle of 7 armies. Thats how unbelievably deadly these guys are.

So yeah, in conclusion, if he is strong enough to have a hoard larger than he can easily carry, he is so strong he doesnt have to move. Even in D&D terms the dragons with the big hoards are so powerful, there probably arent more than a handful of people COUNTING YOUR PARTY that are high level enough to threaten him, and most of the others wouldnt care to risk their lives when there are easier ways to get treasure.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    When I DM, dragons are the bankers. How do you think they get so rich?
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Axiomatic View Post

Clever as this is (I might have to steal this), you are suggesting that a dragon would willing part with even a fraction of his hoard. This assertion stands in stark contrast with the exercise in mammonism that is draconic psychology.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Like I said earlier, other than admitting to having servants to help, I am loathe to say more on the subject of how I move my hoard. You realize this is akin to me asking you how much you make in your paycheck?
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

When I've had a dragon move a hoard in a D&D setting it involved teleportation and bags of hoarding. He did not even let his servants touch it. That would require trusting them with his hoard.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    Clever as this is (I might have to steal this), you are suggesting that a dragon would willing part with even a fraction of his hoard. This assertion stands in stark contrast with the exercise in mammonism that is draconic psychology.
    But it's earning interest for him while at the bank.

He's not parting with it, he's investing it. lol.

I wonder what dragons do to combat inflation.
    Last edited by nightwyrm; 2014-01-26 at 08:10 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    When I've had a dragon move a hoard in a D&D setting it involved teleportation and bags of hoarding. He did not even let his servants touch it. That would require trusting them with his hoard.
    It's like a Bag of Holding, but dragon scale.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nightwyrm View Post
    I wonder what dragons do to combat inflation.
    The Goldfinger route: what you can't sequester, you destroy.

(Inflation isn't much of a problem with pure metal coinage, actually, since even alchemists and the like creating gold from nothing are generally likely to be strictly small-time)
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2014-01-26 at 08:36 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    The Goldfinger route: what you can't sequester, you destroy.

(Inflation isn't much of a problem with pure metal coinage, actually, since even alchemists and the like creating gold from nothing are generally likely to be strictly small-time)
    They'll be pissed when paper money gets invented.

Dragons are the original goldbugs.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nightwyrm View Post
    They'll be pissed when paper money gets invented.

Dragons are the original goldbugs.
    What kind of dragon hoards paper money anyway? When you're a dragon, you can outlive empires of those little pink-skins. The paper you hoard when they switch to fiat currency will be worthless if you decide to cash in when they're on the verge of collapse, but the gold will be valuable long after their towers and fortifications have crumbled to dust.

...Assuming that they don't back their currency with a portal to a solid gold planet in a money-verse. Or develop large-scale gold creation/transmutation industries.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    What kind of dragon hoards paper money anyway? When you're a dragon, you can outlive empires of those little pink-skins. The paper you hoard when they switch to fiat currency will be worthless if you decide to cash in when they're on the verge of collapse, but the gold will be valuable long after their towers and fortifications have crumbled to dust.

...Assuming that they don't back their currency with a portal to a solid gold planet in a money-verse. Or develop large-scale gold creation/transmutation industries.
    So the dragons are effectively the Central Banks?!?!

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    Fafnir was a human originally, whose miserly greed transformed him into a dragon after which he did not move his hoard.
    Fafnier was a dwarf, not a human and is transformed thanks to a curse on his gold. In the 19th century Wagner version he's a giant (combined with the separate ice giants who build Asgard in norse mythology) and becomes a dragon using the shape-shifting powers of the Tarnhelm.

In the British children's series, Noggin the Nog, the horde of the ice dragon Groliffe is the treasury of the Dragon's Friendly Society. If any of the gold is removed, it is enchanted to allow dragons to track it down and take revenge. So there's a dragon 'banking' for other dragons.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2014-01-27 at 04:54 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, first, there's the cumbersome task of converting your hoard into large, non-consecutive gold coins. Magic items, pieces of art, potions, and assorted furniture make for great treasure density and sprawl, but whenever you move it's a good idea to liquidate all those assets into the currency of the country you're moving to. You never know whose family heirloom or lich's phylactery you've got sitting around, you're better off cycling all that out into currency.

Next is moving the treasure. I know what you're thinking, the volume of all that gold? Very difficult to move. I say no. You see, when you sold all your magic items, you held on to all your bags on holding, which you just load up with gold, then fly to your destination.
    Last edited by Creed; 2014-01-27 at 08:01 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
    Like I said earlier, other than admitting to having servants to help, I am loathe to say more on the subject of how I move my hoard. You realize this is akin to me asking you how much you make in your paycheck?
    Wouldn't it be more be akin to asking a woman their shoe size or on hygiene matters?

On topic... human slaves (or maybe adventurers) seems to be the most reasonable assumption for such who are unable to use magic. Or find a magic user and make him an offer s/he can't refuse. (Teleportation and bags of holding seem a reasonable idea)
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    Well, first, there's the cumbersome task of converting your hoard into large, non-consecutive gold coins. Magic items, pieces of art, potions, and assorted furniture make for great treasure density and sprawl, but whenever you move it's a good idea to liquidate all those assets into the currency of the country you're moving to. You never know whose family heirloom or lich's phylactery you've got sitting around, you're better off cycling all that out into currency.
    I disagree. Magic items can be worth thousands of gold coins depending on their rarity, so your hoard fits in the bags better if you have a couple holy swords or unbreakable shields in the mix.

As for artwork, if it's in your hoard, it's one-of-a-kind! What are you doing selling that kind of treasure off? ...That, or it's worthless, and you've been keeping it around as a reminder of the problems with youthful indiscretion.

27. - Top - End - #27

Dragons are the ultimate ego-maniacs. They more their hoards the same way they change light bulbs: hold on tight and let their new lair move to them.
    I drive a quantum car- every time I look down at the speedometer, I get lost.

As a juggler, I may not always be smarter than a banana. However, bananas aren't often surrounded by children asking for hugs and autographs.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A dragon that was acting as a bank would not have a typical hoard to begin with, no?

Nor would a dragon typically need to move its entire hoard anyway for most transactions if it were to act as a bank.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-01-27 at 05:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

With great difficulty.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2014-01-27 at 05:12 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Draconic bankers make a lot of sense, until you consider that at some point, your clients might wish to withdraw their money.
    You need to read more science fiction. Nobody who reads science fiction comes out with this crap about the end of history.