New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Call to Brew! [Crossroads]

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    Added a clause in for the Damage Reduction, and I added more feats. I'll start the little people shortly, but first I want to do some more research.

I've noticed that a couple of monsters on the list are already statted in the pfsrd, and that several of these monsters are only different from some more "standard" fantasy monsters in terms of a few minor fluff details; could we use those statistics, or do you want to create them all from scratch?

EDIT: Also, I'd like to claim the Yumilekax.
    Really? I'll have to double-check. My brother came up with the lists of monsters, including finding all the pfsrd links. I'll cross off whatever i can. I know we ignored a few premade versions because they didn't mesh up with the setting, or diverged way too far from the original mythologies.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

The one that caught my eye immediately was the Puckwudgie, whose Pathfinder stats I was very happy with. But then again, I'm not familiar with the original myths, so maybe there is something wrong with it....
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #63

The one that caught my eye immediately was the Puckwudgie, whose Pathfinder stats I was very happy with. But then again, I'm not familiar with the original myths, so maybe there is something wrong with it....
    Hmm... The only problem is that the PF pukwudgie raises zombies and the myth pukwudgie raises will-o-wisp-like-things. Still, it's not terrible.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

A small cluster of tiny humanoids, no more than a foot in height, and quietly running across the ice-laden fields. The leading ones are chasing after a small deer, harpoons in their hands.

Ishigaq CR 1/2
    XP 200
    Ishigaq ranger 1
    N Tiny Humanoid
    Init +4; Senses Lowlight vision; Perception +6

AC 20, Touch 17, flatfooted 15; (+2 size, +4 Dexterity, +3 Hide armor, +1 Dodge)
    hp 5 (1d8+1)
    Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +2

Speed 20 ft.
    Melee Harpoon +3 melee (1d4)
    Ranged Bola +7 ranged (1d2)
    Space 2 1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.

Str 10, Dex 19, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Base Atk +1; CMB +1; CMD 10
    Feats Dodge
    Skills Climb +4, Knowledge (Nature) +4, Stealth +8, Survival +6, Swim +4
    Languages Inukitut

Favored Enemy (Ex): Ishigaq have a +2 bonus on Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival checks, as well as a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls, made against creatures with the Animal type.

Ice Walker (Su): Ishigaq are not slowed by ice and snow, treating icy terrain as normal ground when it comes to movement and making acrobatics checks. Additionally, ishigaq do not leave behind tracks when walking on snowy terrain, as if under the effects of a pass without a trace spell.

Wild Empathy (Ex): Ishigaq can make a special check similar to a diplomacy check to influence the mood of an animal within 30 ft. of themselves, adding their ranger level to the check. A ranger can do this to magical beasts as well, but they take a -4 penalty when doing so.

Skills: Ishigaq gain a +2 racial bonus to Stealth and Survival checks made in snowy or icy terrain. This is not included in the statblock above.
    _________
    Ecology

Environment: Cold Tundras
    Organization: Solitary, Pair, or Village (15-75 plus 40% noncombatants, with a 3rd level Ishigaq for every 20 and a 5th level for every 50)
    Treasure: Standard

Legends say that there are little people in the far north that are even smaller than the Awwakkule; these beings, known as the ishigaq, are miniature men sometimes said to have spirit in their ancestry. The ishigaq do seem to travel across the frozen wastes with a supernatural grace. Ishigaq travel in small, nomadic tribes that follow a specific herd of animals. It is said that once these beings leave your sight, you will never find them again, for they do not leave tracks behind. This has even led some to claim that these men are lighter than air, floating inches off the ground as they go.

Occassionally ishigaq enter the settlements of other humanoids, offering to sell the meat of some of the animlmals they hunt (for even medium animals have more meat than most ishigaq tribes need). They never stay too long, however, for they are distrustful of outsiders. As a result, it can be difficult to learn much about this race. Some say that ishigaq are very rare, but their ability to stay hidden makes it difficult to confirm how true that statement is. Their appearance is usually seen as a good omen, however.

Ishigaq are often compared to faeries, standing about one to one and a half feet tall. They often wear parkas made of fur.

This creature's ability scores were Str 14, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8 before racial modifiers were added.

Ishigaq Racial Traits
    Ability Score Racial Traits: Ishigaq are extremely swift and perceptive hunters, but their small size means that they are not in the least bit strong. They gain -4 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom.
    Size: As Tiny creatures, ishigaq have a +2 bonus to attack rolls and armor class, a -8 penalty to grapple checks, a +8 bonus to Hide checks, and a carrying capacity that is half that of a Medium creature.
    Base Speed (Slow Speed): Ishigaq have a base speed of 20 ft.
    Languages: Ishigaq speak Inukituk, one of several languages spoken by the Inuit. Ishigaq with a high Intelligence score may also learn French, English, Mikmaw, and the other Inuit languages.

Artic Nomad: Ishigaq gain a +2 racial bonus to Stealth and Survival checks made in snowy or icy terrain.

Ice Walker (Su): Ishigaq are not slowed by ice and snow, treating icy terrain as normal ground when it comes to movement and making acrobatics checks. Additionally, ishigaq do not leave behind tracks when walking on snowy terrain, as if under the effects of a pass without a trace spell.

Weapon Familiarity: Ishigaq treat harpoons and bolas as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.

Lowlight Vision: Ishigaq can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2014-01-30 at 11:23 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

SIN-YU CR 6

LN Large Magical Beast

Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent; Perception +5

DEFENSE
    AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 16 (+3 Dex, +7 natural, –1 size)
    hp 68 (8d10+24)
    Fort +9, Ref +9, Will +5

OFFENSE
    Speed 40 ft.
    Melee gore +13 (1d8+5), 2 hooves +8 (1d6+5)
    Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks powerful charge (gore, 2d8+10), gaze

STATISTICS
    Str 20, Dex 17,Con 17, Int 5, Wis 16, Cha 10
    Base Atk +8; CMB +14; CMD 27 (31 vs. trip)
    Feats Impaling Charge, Combat Reflexes, Weapon Focus (horn), Ability focus (gaze)
    Skills Acrobatics +2, Climb +5, Perception +7, Stealth +2, Sense Motive +19
    Racial Modifiers +4 Perception, +8 Sense Motive
    Languages Common

ECOLOGY
    Environment -
    Organization -
    Treasure standard

SPECIAL ABILITIES
    Lawful Strike (Ex) A Sin-Yu's natural attacks are treated as lawful for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Truthbearer's Gaze (Su) Detect Lies (as the spell), 30 feet, Will DC 19 negates. The save DC is Wisdom-based.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the first draft, criticism is always welcome

6. - Top - End - #66

Ishigaq
    I do like the ishigaq. I imagine them hunting rabbits the way humans hunt deer.
    I don't know about the combat reflexes feat, considering that they don't actually have any reach. Maybe dodge, leading to mobility?

As for them as a race, I don't know if tiny size is enough to warrant them having no other abilities. They should at least have the ice walking, it's kinda their one defining ability.

Sin-Yu
    Looks like a solid stat block, can't comment on much more than that since the rest's not done.
    I think the hooves should be +7 attack instead of +8.
    Truthbearer's gaze is supposed to use discern lies I believe. Also, I don't think it's technically a gaze attack, the critter would just be able to use it at-will.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll switch the feats out now.

As for the "Ishigaq as Characters" section, that isn't actually done yet. I started doing it, and then I realized that Pathfinder has its own configuration for the "As Characters" section that is nearly as annoying as the statblock.

8. - Top - End - #68

I'll switch the feats out now.

As for the "Ishigaq as Characters" section, that isn't actually done yet. I started doing it, and then I realized that Pathfinder has its own configuration for the "As Characters" section that is nearly as annoying as the statblock.
    Okay, THAT format I hate. I just use the format presented in the PF PHB. It's basically the exact same as the 3.5 one, just with more bolding and a little more specific language. It's the format I use in for the races for the setting.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

I do find it rather frustrating. Also, I switched the sample ishigaq's class from rogue to ranger.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

Version 1.1: Replaced the female's lunar veil spell-like ability with polar midnight. Reduced the damage of the fenghuang's bite/talon/rend by two steps each.

This vibrant bird appears to combine the traits of multiple avians: the tail of a peacock, the beak of a parrot, the wings of a swallow, and the head of a pheasant. Its tail shines brightly in many hues of black, white, red, blue, and yellow.

Fenghuang CR 12
    XP 19,200
    NG Small magical beast
    Init +8; Senses low-light vision, darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +20
    hp 152 (16d10+64)
    Fort +13, Ref +14, Will +10
    Melee bite +20 (1d6+3), 2 talons +20 (1d4+3)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks calming melody, rend (2 talons, 1d4+4)
    Spell-Like Abilities (CL 13th; concentration +20)
    At will—daylight (male only), deeper darkness (female only)
    5/day—flame strike (male only, DC 22), true seeing (female only)
    1/day—polar midnight (female only, DC 24), sunbeam (male only, DC 24)
    Base Atk +16; CMB +18; CMD 32
    Feats Ability Focus (calming melody), Acrobatic Steps, Dodge, Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Mobility, Nimble Moves, Toughness
    Skills Fly +23, Perception +20, Perform (sing)+24
    Languages Common
    SQ bird empathy, divert aggression
    Organization solitary or pair
    Treasure standard

Calming Melody (Sp): A fenghuang can begin singing a beautiful, calming tune as a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity; once it has begun singing, a fenghuang can maintain the melody as a free action. Any creature that can hear a fenghuang’s melody must make a DC 27 Will save or be affected as though by a calm emotions spell for as long as the fenghuang continues to sing. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same fenghuang’s calming melody ability for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Divert Aggression (Su): A fenghuang has a deflection bonus to its Armor Class equal to its Charisma bonus.

The fenghuang is a marvelous bird that is said to appear during times of peace and prosperity; in some myths it is the bird itself that brings peace, while in other tales it merely ventures to lands where peace is otherwise present. Although the name fenghuang is often used to describe the species as a whole, scholars separate it into a male aspect (feng) and a female aspect (huang), as the two genders have notably different powers. Males are associated with the sun and the season of summer; they possess the ability to create light and to burn the unrighteous with searing flame. Females are associated with the moon and with gentle leadership; they possess the ability to create darkness and to reveal those things which are hidden or obscured.

Fenghuangs are not particularly adept at combat and avoid it if possible; even the more aggressive males attack only to defend themselves or a creature they consider innocent. If it senses that a conflict is about to begin, a fenghuang will start singing a beautiful tune that calms those around it, hoping that a peaceful solution can be found once tempers have cooled off. Both males and females also possess the ability to befriend birds of all varieties, and can often be seen with large flocks of creatures following them through the skies. If a fenghaung needs to defend itself or someone it has decided to protect, it may enlist the help of powerful birds such as giant eagles or rocs; it is careful not to unnecessarily risk those animals under its charge, however, and will convince them to flee if it believes they are close to death.

A fenghuang stands 3 feet tall, with a wingspan of 6 feet, and weighs about 30 pounds. They understand Common, but are not known to speak.
    Last edited by Dracomortis; 2014-02-10 at 03:32 AM.
    Sincerest thanks to Qwernt for the amazing avatar.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Thunderfist12
    I know your critters aren't done, but that picture is CREEPY AS HELL.
    Thank ye much. It's from the Spiderwick Chronicles field guide, which is an awesome book illustrated by Tony Diterlizzi. It has small bits on the monsters themselves and their habits, which, though they are in modern context, can be adapted to anything, really.

The creatures in the book look amazing. My favorites would be the one I used, the griffin, and the phooka.

Spoiler: Griffin
    Show

Spoiler: Phooka
    Show
    May the gods watch over your battles, friend.

12. - Top - End - #72

Almost done with the common cavern knocker (updated on the original post). I need something for their shriek ability, but I think they're kinda OP at the moment. Thoughts on how to fix that?

13. - Top - End - #73

Dracomortis
    Not much to complain on, I checked all the math in the important places and it looks good to me.
    The damage on the bite and the talons seems really high, though. It's normally 1d4 and 1d3 at this size.
    The abilities all seem fine to me, though I somewhat question lunar veil, as it's a spell that blocks the moonlight.

Thunderfist12
    well, honestly, I don't know. I liked the spiderwick chronicles as much as the next fella, but the actual myths don't seem to support that vision of the creatures.
    In the myths I can find, they're two feet tall, grizzled but not misshapen, and quite humanoid.
    While I think the spiderwick chronicles are just fine, I don't think their take on creatures really fits into this setting.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74

Thunderfist12
    well, honestly, I don't know. I liked the spiderwick chronicles as much as the next fella, but the actual myths don't seem to support that vision of the creatures.
    In the myths I can find, they're two feet tall, grizzled but not misshapen, and quite humanoid.
    While I think the spiderwick chronicles are just fine, I don't think their take on creatures really fits into this setting.
    Okay, fine. I'll change it if you want. However, I'll just throw out there that I prefer this interpretation of knockers to the mythical form. Of course, I'm fine with any interpretation the thread needs.

Did that sound harsh or irritated? I hope not.

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderfist12 View Post
    Okay, fine. I'll change it if you want. However, I'll just throw out there that I prefer this interpretation of knockers to the mythical form. Of course, I'm fine with any interpretation the thread needs.

Did that sound harsh or irritated? I hope not.
    Honestly, in a classical D&D setting, I'd agree with you. Heck, the whole set of spiderwick monsters would be pretty cool. A dozen of those things crawlin' around the underdark would be pretty terrifying.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Wandering through the forests, you can see a small group of large deer. Perhaps the most curious thing about these animals are their antlers; rising from butress roots at the top of their heads, these antlers are covered in thorny vines. Some even have small kopak fruits growing.

Yumilekax CR 3 (4 with Bee Swarm)
    XP 800
    N Medium Magical Beast
    Init +6; Senses Darkvision 60 ft., Lowlight vision; Perception +11

AC 15, Touch 12, flatfooted 13; (+2 Dex, +3 natural)
    hp 39 (6d10+6)
    Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +5
    DR 5/Cold Iron SR 19

Speed 40 ft.
    Melee Gore +8 melee (1d6+2), or 2 hooves +3 melee (1d4+1)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.

Str 14, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 10
    Base Atk +6; CMB +8; CMD 20
    Feats Alertness, Improved Initiative, Stealthy
    Skills Escape Artist +4, Sense Motive +5, Stealth +7
    Languages Yucatec (understand only)

Invulnerability to Arrows (Su): Any ranged weapons that target a yumilekax automatically miss (phasing right through the deer's form), with the exception of attack rolls that land on a natural 20. These attacks do not threaten a critical, but are instead treated as a normal hit. Thrown weapons and ranged magic attacks are treated as having a 50% miss chance when the target of such attacks is a yumilekax.

Swarm of Bees (Ex): One in every ten yumilekax have a nest of bees in their antlers. Three times per day, the yumilekax may will the bees to leave their nest and attack any creature within 60 ft. (use wasp swarm statistics). These bees attack until this creature flees/dies, or until the swarm is eradicated. In the event of the latter, the bees within the nest will begin to repopulate and the yumilekax regains the use of this ability in 2d10 days.
    _________
    Ecology

Environment: Warm Forests
    Organization: Solitary, Pair, or Herd (6-11)
    Treasure: Standard

Yumilekax are a special breed of deer found in the densest of forests. Yumilekax are most widely known for their symbiotic relationship with kapok-like plants that grow from their skulls like antlers. These plants in turn are host to other plants, like the kapok fruits that sprout in the spring and the spiked ivy that seems to wrap itself around them. It is said that yumilekax are ancient forest spirits that incarnated into their current form long ago, and that the first ceiba tees grew from the fruit that fell from them.

Yumilekax are infamous for the level of difficulty involved in hunting them; they are extremely stealthy and perceptive creatures, and it is hard to sneak up close enough to harm them in melee. At the same time, melee is the only reliable way to harm them; all but the truest of shots will find that hitting a yumilekax with a ranged weapon is impossible, and even magical attacks may phase right through the creature. Those who are able to down one usually do so to get the kapok antlers, which are seen as sacred symbols in many cultures that exist in areas populated by these beasts.

It is said that yumilekax do not take kindly to those who hunt for sport. Yumilekax may not be the beast attackers, but their gore attacks can still be quite deadly for those unprepared. A small percentage of yumilekax has a symbiotic relationship with a hive of bees, which nests in their antlers. These yumilekax can compel the bees to assault a being of their choice, after which the bees return to the hive.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2014-02-05 at 08:49 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

Well, I really can't comment on the creature thus far. I would say I'd love to see a more powerful version with the bee hive. Just because I want to be able to say 'aura of bees' in a game.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dracomortis
    Not much to complain on, I checked all the math in the important places and it looks good to me.
    The damage on the bite and the talons seems really high, though. It's normally 1d4 and 1d3 at this size.
    The abilities all seem fine to me, though I somewhat question lunar veil, as it's a spell that blocks the moonlight.
    I bumped the damage up on the natural attacks several times throughout the design process to give the fenghuang a bit of combat ability -- the female in particular is lacking in damage potential, as it has no offensive spell-like abilities. I'm not entirely happy with it; it is quite unusual for such a small creature to have damage die that high, especially when it is described as being a fairly peaceful creature.

Lunar veil was a bit of a stretch (as noted, there are exceedingly few spells related to the moon or the night). Its flavor text describes the spell as being similar to a lunar eclipse, though, which I thought was appropriate for a creature associated with the lunar cycle. The only other suitable spell I found was polar midnight, which creates an area of darkness that also deals cold and Dexterity damage. It's a fairly powerful 9th-level spell, but it might be an acceptable replacement, given that the fenghuang could only use it once per day. It would also create a nice dichotomy with the male's various fire spells, and could justify reducing the damage on the natural attacks to more standard levels.
    Sincerest thanks to Qwernt for the amazing avatar.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I really can't comment on the creature thus far. I would say I'd love to see a more powerful version with the bee hive. Just because I want to be able to say 'aura of bees' in a game.
    Yeah, sorry about that. I started the creature literally moments before I learned that I had to go babysit my cousins. This was all I had time to do. I figured I'd do something along the lines of the Pixie, and say that one in twenty Yumilekax have a beehive and are counted as CR (whatever the normal version will be + 1).

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by Dracomortis View Post
    I bumped the damage up on the natural attacks several times throughout the design process to give the fenghuang a bit of combat ability -- the female in particular is lacking in damage potential, as it has no offensive spell-like abilities. I'm not entirely happy with it; it is quite unusual for such a small creature to have damage die that high, especially when it is described as being a fairly peaceful creature.

Lunar veil was a bit of a stretch (as noted, there are exceedingly few spells related to the moon or the night). Its flavor text describes the spell as being similar to a lunar eclipse, though, which I thought was appropriate for a creature associated with the lunar cycle. The only other suitable spell I found was polar midnight, which creates an area of darkness that also deals cold and Dexterity damage. It's a fairly powerful 9th-level spell, but it might be an acceptable replacement, given that the fenghuang could only use it once per day. It would also create a nice dichotomy with the male's various fire spells, and could justify reducing the damage on the natural attacks to more standard levels.
    Yeah, I mean, unless it's supposed to have extremely oversized beak/talons, I think it would be wisest to drop the damage down to the usual for the size. It is supposed to be a relatively peaceful bird after all.
    I could see polar midnight, certainly.

Yeah, sorry about that. I started the creature literally moments before I learned that I had to go babysit my cousins. This was all I had time to do. I figured I'd do something along the lines of the Pixie, and say that one in twenty Yumilekax have a beehive and are counted as CR (whatever the normal version will be + 1).
    It's alright, take your time, quality's more important than speed. (though speed is certainly appreciated).
    I wonder if an aura of bees would have the same statistics as a wasp swarm, of if bees are different enough to warrant some different effects...
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

I'm considering taking up the Haakapaizizi if I can find enough info on them. All google turns up is a brief mention of them being a bad omen if seen in a dream (scroll down): http://vredenburgh.org/tehachapi/dat...pernatural.htm

Edit: http://www.mythicalcreatureslist.com...re/Haakapainzi It would seem to have multiple names as is usual for myth critters'

Re-Edit: Okay I've found enough to do him.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2014-02-02 at 03:48 AM.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

I think I'm done with the Clurichaun. I'll do the Nián Shňu next, and then see if I can find that Acheri.

EDIT: actually, do you think the Clurichaun should remain CR 2, or should I downgrade it to 1?
    I actually had some thoughts about lore for the Nián Shňu, but wasn't sure how to build the actual monster.

My idea was that the Nián Shňus bear an ancient grudge against the Yellow Emperor and his descendants. Every Lunar New Year, they come out of hibernation to actively hunt down anyone who has even a drop of Chinese blood in their veins. The Emperor enacted ancient magic to protect the Middle Kingdom, but those spells do not extend to Fusang, where Nián Shňu attacks are much more frequent and severe.

Anyway, that's my suggestion. I thought I'd leave it here for your consideration.

Thanks for posting the Guide to Homebrewing, Admiral Squish! I've been stuck on the Cipactli for a while now, and the Guide should help a lot. In general, I'm never sure what the Ability Scores should be, because the myths don't generally describe exactly how strong or tough a monster is, only what it looks like and what it can do.
    My Homebrew Projects

Crossroads: The New World - Tribes, colonists, trade confederacies, and empires both new and old collide in an alt-history North America, circa 1750 A.D. (On the road to publication!)

Author of Motor City Breakdown, Co-Author & Accuracy Consultant for Ashes of the Motor City
    Major Contributor, Tenebrous Seas Wiki

23. - Top - End - #83

Glad to hear you're onboard, Bhu! I reserved the critter for ya, looking forward to what you come up with for it!

Now, on to superdave. I gotta say, I like the idea of nian shou attacks on fusang. I have this image of a fusang member of the party hastily explaining the situation to the rest of the group as the season approaches and the group's out in the middle of nowhere.

as for determining ability scores, there are always some clues in the stories. See what sort of things the monster does in the story. Then compare them to a human average. For example, could an average human wrestle one to submission? Could a bodybuilder do it? Is it intelligent, or just an animal with powers? And if there's no clues, just go with what feels right.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

I had this saved somewhere, have never posted it here.

GORILLAPHANT

Spoiler
    Show

Huge Magical Beast

NN

CR 10-11

Speed: 40' Terrestrial movement

Darkvision out to 60 feet and low-light vision

22 HD, 473 HP (+13 con, Improved Toughness)

AC: 17 (10+DEX:1-SIZE:3+NATURAL:8+DODGE:1)
    note: the creature has the Mobility feat.

STR - 32
    DEX - 13
    CON - 36
    INT - 10
    WIS - 14
    CHA - 10

Fort: 26 Ref:16* Will:11*

BAB/Grapple: 22/41

Space/reach: 15'/15' spear, Claws and Bite 10', Hooves15'

Attack Options: Power Attack, Cleave, Trample

Full Attack: Spear* +33/+28/+23/+18/+13 (3d6+17)
    or
    2 Claws: +33 (1d8+11), 2 Hooves +31(2d6+11)*, Bite +31 (3d6+11)

Trample: 2d6+17, Reflex Save DC: 32

Ranged: Spear +23 (3d6+17) 60' range*

Special Qualities: Spell Resistance 27, Damage Reduction: 2/- Energy Resistance: 5 Fire, Cold, Lightning, Acid (see: Magical Heritage).

Feats: Power Attack, Improved Natural Attack: Hooves, Cleave, Lightning Reflexes, Iron Will, Improved Toughness, Dodge, Mobility

Skills: Spot: +27, Listen +27, Knowledge: Arcana +7, Spellcraft: +7, Use Magic Device: +7, Survival: +12, Concentration +13, Craft: Arms and Armor +3

Special Abilities: Trample, Magical Heritage, Scrying, Spear , Adaptive Intelligence, Loose Hide

Trample: See table, as per normal rules of trample.

Magical Heritage:
    Produced from hybridization experiments of ancient wizards, these creatures are naturally spell and energy resistant. The typical creature of this kind has spell resistance equal to 5+ its HD. This creature possesses energy resistance 5 to Fire, Cold, Lightning, and Acid. This creature's energy resistance never changes with its Hit Dice. This ability also grants the creature a +7 bonus to Knowledge: Arcana, Use Magic Device, and Spellcraft.

Scrying:
    Once per week, this creature may use a pool of water as a focus to perform a scrying, as per the spell. This is a supernatural ability.

Spear:
    This creature automatically receives Weapon Proficiency: Spear as a bonus feat. Magical Beasts are not normally proficient with any weapons other than natural weapons. In addition, the creature wields it's spear two handed, but may throw the spear and draw another in the same round, as part of the same full round action. This creature's spear has a range increment of 60'.

Adaptive Intelligence:
    This creature can, after an hour of careful study, learn to make use of any manufactured tool, weapon, or armor that it can acquire. The creature cannot learn to use exotic weapons or objects that a normal human of average intelligence could not learn to use by use of this ability. (Though it could gain an exotic weapon proficiency feat to do so if it desired).

Loose Hide: The thick skin of this creature in addition to providing a natural armor bonus, hangs somewhat loosely from the flesh. This grants the creature Damage Reduction 2/-, as stated in the statistics block.

Racial skill bonuses:

Survival +8, Craft: Arms and Armor: +3

Ecology:
    The Gorillaphant is at a first blush, an awe-inspiring figure, but it's existence is driven by the unfortunate nature of it's design. It is speculated that the wizard involved in the first Gorillaphant's creation was interested in producing a more physically powerful version of the Centaur. This explains the great attention to the creature's size and cunning, but the apparent lack of concern for it's capacity for independent survival. The Gorillaphant possesses all of an elephant's body except the head, and all of the gorilla's body save the legs and waist below the navel. By virtue of its mass alone, the creature has the metabolism and appetite of both creatures combined. It lacks however, the biological adaptations of either creature that are necessary for feeding itself. It cannot climb to reach food in trees, and it cannot use the elephant's trunk to reach grasses on the ground. Indeed, the creature has a very difficult time lowering its front legs and stooping over to reach objects on the ground at all. It still, by virtue of its height, can reach some of the fruit from trees, and perhaps the unfortunate bird's nest, but this very rarely provides enough to satisfy the creature's titanic appetite. Consequently, much of the creature's life is dedicated toward finding more creative solutions for feeding itself.
    For this purpose they most readily adopt herding and animal domestication. Gorillaphants frequently maintain a mobile pack of animals, typically herbivores, that are better adapted at feeding themselves than the Gorillaphant itself. These Gorillaphant shepherds fiercely guard their livestock, and adopt a quasi-feral pack mentality.

Gorillaphants are far more intelligent than apes, and all but the most feral understand common. They are also naturally inquisitive, if foul tempered, and some have been coaxed by the lure of civilized tools into trade.
    Gorillaphants that come to understand the economic value of their livestock frequently engage traveling merchants for their tools, which the Gorillaphants in turn quickly learn to make use of. These transactions are most commonly handled in the wilds, as Gorillaphants have such flammable tempers that most settlements abhor the idea of such a creature coming to market. Unfortunately for the merchants, Gorillaphants have a rudimentary sense of ethics and occasionally learn that they can simply kill merchants and keep both the livestock and the tools. Most merchants who choose to trade with these creatures, do so with the protection of paid mercenaries, a frequent mode of contact for the Gorillaphant and the questing adventurer.
    Last edited by DetectiveFjord; 2014-02-03 at 12:00 AM.
    Detective Harvey Fjord
    Senior Detective, Magical Weapons Division.
    Nocturne-Erin Police Department.

25. - Top - End - #85

Well, firstly, I do appreciate the submission, but I honestly can't fit it in my setting. The setting is alt-history north america, and the gorrilaphant is a mix of two african animals. And it would have no reason to be brought to the new world. Moving an elephant across an ocean would be immensely expensive and challenging, and without a whole lot of money nobody would do it.
    Second, the whole thing about them being unable to feed themselves is unfeasible. Elephants use their trunks to pick food off trees, and the gorrillaphant looks like has just as much, if not more, vertical reach than the elephant, plus the added dexterity of hands and the fact that it has two graspers rather than just the one. Plus, reaching the ground's easy enough to do, the creature just has to kneel down. As for herding, gorillas generally don't eat meat. They're largely herbivores, but they will eat insects from time to time. And elephants can't eat meat, even if they wanted to.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to try to have the monster done by tomorrow.

I have another quick question; are you familiar with the Gashadokuro? The giant skeletal famine monster that is made up of the corpses of hundreds of people? It's Japanese in origin, but do you think such a creature could have a space in this campaign?

27. - Top - End - #87

The yumilekax looks great!
    shouldn't the HP be 39? (33 avg from 6d10)
    By my math, CMB should +8 and the CMD should be 20.
    Immunity to arrows is an interesting ability. Certainly would make it a challenge to hunt them.
    BEEES. I think you dropped a word or two in there, like 'until'.

I'm not certain about the gashadokuro. It's certainly a terrifying idea. A giant undead monster made of the bones of those who starve to death and is invisible until it attacks. I don't honestly know how much influence japan will have on the setting, just yet.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2014-02-05 at 08:30 PM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it's still not quite done yet (I still have to look through/finish the stats and write out the fluff.

You're right about the hit points, and I'll take your word for the Combat Maneuvers (actually, you might want to double check that with some of the other monsters, too).

I think I'll start the Gashadokuro as a 3.5 monster and post it elsewhere; should you decide to add a bit more Japanese myth to the campaign, I'll convert it to PF. If not, that's alright too.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

The Agoolit is simply a variant merfolk that is completely covered in scales, rather than looking more human. I would give them Cold resistance 10 and the ability to hold their breath rather than breathe air. What do you think?

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

30. - Top - End - #90

Well, it's still not quite done yet (I still have to look through/finish the stats and write out the fluff.

You're right about the hit points, and I'll take your word for the Combat Maneuvers (actually, you might want to double check that with some of the other monsters, too).

I think I'll start the Gashadokuro as a 3.5 monster and post it elsewhere; should you decide to add a bit more Japanese myth to the campaign, I'll convert it to PF. If not, that's alright too.
    I've been double-checking all the CMB/CMD on all the monsters submitted, because I know it's unusual for peoples who don't make PF creatures very often.

Well, I'd be glad to see it, even if it never ends up making it into the setting. There are players I know who I would love to be able to sic such a creature upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    The Agoolit is simply a variant merfolk that is completely covered in scales, rather than looking more human. I would give them Cold resistance 10 and the ability to hold their breath rather than breathe air. What do you think?

Debby
    Well, I can't find anything that says an agloolik is mermaidish in form, or scaled head to toe. It just describes a water spirit who protects seals/seal pups. If you want to describe it as a mermaid, that's fine, feel free. I could just as easily imagine it as a humanoid with webbed feet/hands, or even as a more shapeless sort of spirit.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show