New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Does anyone remember The Berenstein Bears?

Anyone remember that awesome book series and Tv show that aired for a while?

Well, does anyone remember it being spelled "Berenstein" or "Berenstain" ?

I'm mostly curious as to what you guys remember.
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Does anyone remember The Berenstein Bears?

I remember there was one story where it ran into that awkward situation where there were bears that were just feral animals and the bears that were people like what you have with Goofy and Pluto both being dogs. IIRC, it was completely glossed over.

And another one where they were eating too much candy, which in their world was brightly colored balls for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

My favorite Berenstain story is The Berenstains' B Book, which has a big brown bear, blowing bubbles, biking backwards bumping into various other sequences of words that all begin with 'b' such as Brother Beagle's Banjo Bagpipe Band (the fact that I haven't read it in over 20 years and can still remember those aspects of the book tell you something.)

as I track it down again it is even more ridiculous than that, it is Big Brown Bear, Blue Bull, Beautiful Baboon, blowing bubbles biking backwards...
    Last edited by Fjolnir; 2014-06-16 at 03:40 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

We had one book, about the kids cleaning their messy room. My sister and I marveled that something as clean as that was called messy.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    We had one book, about the kids cleaning their messy room. My sister and I marveled that something as clean as that was called messy.
    My mother took that one to heart and threatened to trash my stuff if I didn't clean up.

She literally threw out my entire collection of Pokemon cards to prove her point - including my Charizard and Base Set errors.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah! Big chunk of my childhood, there.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think I had most of them at one time. I loved them.

And it is spelled Berenstein.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Did not like them, I'm afraid to say. The artwork seemed odd, with everyone wearing these perpetual leers. The writing seemed whitewashed and dumbed down, ever for little kids.

They don't even seem to be very useful for teaching kids how to read -- my wife has been using a few, and the kids always trip over the artificial colloquialisms.

There were plenty of books that I loved as a child. Berenstein always came across as slightly nauseating and absent of any interesting character traits. At least Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel presented a challenge, and managed to trap two characters in a cellar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fragenstein View Post
    At least Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel presented a challenge, and managed to trap two characters in a cellar.
    Man, I haven't thought of that one in years. I remember liking it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFireLance View Post
    Anyone remember that awesome book series and Tv show that aired for a while?

Well, does anyone remember it being spelled "Berenstein" or "Berenstain" ?

I'm mostly curious as to what you guys remember.
    Loved them.
    Learned to read with these books.
    Grew up with them.
    Looked for new ones every time we went grocery shopping. This was eventually replaced with Goosebumps books until broader fantasy and sci-fi was made known to me.
    Miss them. Surprisingly, a lot actually. I almost cried when I sent my collection of them to my fiancee's mother to give her trio of recent daughters. This was maybe 5 years ago? 6? They still had my early handwriting. I used to write "This book belongs to me. Me = [my real name]." Yeah, I was a dork.

Story I remember best? The one where they moved from the cave to the tree house. I remember Brother Bear asking about leaving his friends behind, but the cave is isolated and kind of desolate, at the top of a mountain/hill, and I was thinking "where are these friends he's talking about?" Also, at age 4 I pointed out to my mom that they make the cave look dark and dank and scary and keep to a very narrow color use, but the town they use all kinds of colors and they're all bright. I didn't use the word juxtaposition, but I was more or less describing it. Of course, being a kid I said "I'll be the real cave looks really nice, but they make it look this way for the story," and wondering where the real cave might actually be. I did say I was a dork right?
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Same here this is one of the two books I remember (the other was the brother and sister fighting). My room was always a mess as a kid and now as an adult.

Recently I learned why, I was diagnosed with ADHD something my family did not believe was real, and I didn't really think about until recently. I am horrible at organizing for it is mentally exhausting, as well as the fact everything that is happening now seems far more urgent or immediate than something that is static like my room. Thus unless I have a deadline, my room is going to remain a mess. (Luckily I am doing better now, than even a few months ago.)
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

12. - Top - End - #12

The Great Big Enormous Turnip was one of my early favorites. I liked the bears well enough, but I also loved Amelia Bedilia.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fragenstein View Post
    At least Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel presented a challenge, and managed to trap two characters in a cellar.
    I remember that series. I used to love tracing the roads in the snow plow book when I was 4. Hypnotic stuff.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

I remember the books and the cartoon, although I don't look back fondly on either. They were really preachy and judgmental, but then again, they were a product of the 80s and 90s (i.e., video games are bad, the internet is bad, etc.).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I remembered calling it the "Bernstein Bears" and reading it in the doctor's office. I don't think anyone remembers the actual spelling is Berenstain.
    Last edited by Joran; 2014-06-19 at 02:16 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    I remembered calling it the "Bernstein Bears" and reading it in the doctor's office. I don't think anyone remembers the actual spelling is Berenstain.
    It would be the undoing of many of us in a spelling bee, aye.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

The really funny thing? Stan and Jan's early work was not only aimed at an adult market (the work I find the most is a comedic work about teenagers, from a parent's point of view), but some of it was quite daring in the '70s.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    I remember that series. I used to love tracing the roads in the snow plow book when I was 4. Hypnotic stuff.
    Katy and the Big Snow! I remember that. The marginal pictures also fascinated me when I was tiny. All the different vehicles and tools. I was an enormous fan of construction equipment until I discovered tanks and jet fighters ...

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I remember the books and the cartoon, although I don't look back fondly on either. They were really preachy and judgmental, but then again, they were a product of the 80s and 90s (i.e., video games are bad, the internet is bad, etc.).
    Fortunately, I wasn't exposed to the Berenstain Bears until I was an adult. I think the scars would have been too deep otherwise.
    Last edited by Bulldog Psion; 2014-06-20 at 11:34 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

My nostalgia heart will always belong to Clifford the Big Red Dog.