New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Kill la Kill: The first life fiber is what?!

TV Tropes has always been a legendary circlejerk, even as self-congratulatory internet communities go.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sigh View Post
    I think that's what most people mean when they say that this show is twist-ey, since if there comes a time where you're not paying close attention, the show's gotten through a situation that most other anime would require an entire arc to get through, and KLK only does it in an episode or less. In that way it's very easy to get lost, and usually when that happens it means that the show has outsmarted the viewer, when in this case it's merely outpaced them.
    You do know that the overwhelming majority of all anime is 12 or 13 episodes long, right? With the majority of older ones being either short ovas or 26-52 episodes long. The extremely long-running, multi-arc shows are a distinct minority mostly centered around adaptations of Shounen Jump manga.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    You do know that the overwhelming majority of all anime is 12 or 13 episodes long, right? With the majority of older ones being either short ovas or 26-52 episodes long. The extremely long-running, multi-arc shows are a distinct minority mostly centered around adaptations of Shounen Jump manga.
    You still have to acknowledge that they're covering plotlines that even other, shorter, anime use in much shorter amounts of time right?

4. - Top - End - #334
    Banned

I think you mean that Kill la Kill does its plot points faster than they would have been in shorter anime. I think. It might also be that you're saying that shorter anime would do them faster.

In any case, no, Kill la Kill isn't particularly brisk by standards of anything other than long-running shounen action and sports shows. It's about as stretched out as its basic plot structure allows, largely due to some awkward episode material around the middle of the first half. It doesn't have anywhere near as tight pacing as shows like Madoka, Girls und Panzer, Maria-sama ga Miteru season 1 or any given ova from back when those were still made.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    TV Tropes has always been a legendary circlejerk, even as self-congratulatory internet communities go.
    The bizarre thing about TV Tropes, though, is that tropers seem to congratulate each other on being clueless, easily-impressionable morons. Saying stuff like "woah, this simply story was so hard to understand, what a Mind Screw written by someone who think Viewers Are Geniuses!" or "this villain from a children's cartoon is such a Complete Monster, the scene with him was made of Nightmare Fuel" seems to be encouraged. Standards in applying subjective tropes are rare.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #336

PirateGuy

New episode is out, once again my mouth is left agape while my mind is just going, "what? what? What? What? WHAT? WHAT? WHAT?! WHAT?!"

I'm gonna need a few minutes to fully process this.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    The bizarre thing about TV Tropes, though, is that tropers seem to congratulate each other on being clueless, easily-impressionable morons. Saying stuff like "woah, this simply story was so hard to understand, what a Mind Screw written by someone who think Viewers Are Geniuses!" or "this villain from a children's cartoon is such a Complete Monster, the scene with him was made of Nightmare Fuel" seems to be encouraged. Standards in applying subjective tropes are rare.
    Hey, lets not forget that we're the exact same morons. We had a huge overlap in problem posters for years and for a huge chunk of time it looked like every other poster was using tropes in every other post. We spent years doing the exact same set of stupid things and I think the only real difference is that most of us either grew out of it or the mods here eventually ended the bad bits before they got out of hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Episode 18 spoilers
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #339
    Dwarf in the Playground

Episode 18: well.. that was unexpected.

Spoiler: Episode 18
    Show
    The only thing that bore me is that seems like Ryuko and Satsuki are sisters... so, no more shipping. Damn. Also... the purple scissor will go to Satsuki. Would she have a new kamui? Or not? I so hoped that Ryuko curbstomped and killed that pink alien.
    I'm from Italy. So,sorry for my bad English!

Thanks A LOT to Nevitan for the fantastic Avatar!

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moak View Post
    Episode 18: well.. that was unexpected.

Spoiler: Episode 18
    Show
    The only thing that bore me is that seems like Ryuko and Satsuki are sisters... so, no more shipping. Damn. Also... the purple scissor will go to Satsuki. Would she have a new kamui? Or not? I so hoped that Ryuko curbstomped and killed that pink alien.
    He He He, you think that will stop the shippers. There are people who will hear that and start shipping them extra now.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Banned

Breakneck pacing again. Normally a hook like that would be left dangling long enough for people to WMG about the other kid.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    He He He, you think that will stop the shippers. There are people who will hear that and start shipping them extra now.
    Pretty much...

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Breakneck pacing again. Normally a hook like that would be left dangling long enough for people to WMG about the other kid.
    Well they did leave the relationship between the scientists for people to wildly tin-foil hat over.

13. - Top - End - #343

Not gonna lie, half way through the episode I guessed what the twist would be. Still surprising.

Also, I GOT REALLY UNCOMFORTABLE DURING THAT FLASHBACK HOLY ****

Also, took a screen cap of that weird face during the preview for next episode, if anyone wants it (though it's a bit covered up).

14. - Top - End - #344
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Not gonna lie, half way through the episode I guessed what the twist would be. Still surprising.

Also, I GOT REALLY UNCOMFORTABLE DURING THAT FLASHBACK HOLY ****
    Me too. I'm glad everything worked out, but that was REALLY messed up.
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #345

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    Me too. I'm glad everything worked out, but that was REALLY messed up.
    Lets just say that it's very believable that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Satsuki's father decided to betray her.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

Aw man, I missed the "tropers are morons" discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Yeah, the show has more of a reputation for being wacky than for being hard to follow. They're not the same thing.
    Well, there is a point where a show gets so whacky it's hard to follow because you try to make sense of what's happening but it's just not possible because the writers didn't expect anyone to try. Not that KlK really fits that but it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Yeah... as Zodiac and Primal mentioned, it was kind of... obvious. Well, maybe there was another candidate or two but it was pretty likely for it to turn out as it did. Whether this is a good or bad thing I guess is up for the viewers to decide.
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh please, don't have Ryuko have any remorse about fighting her mother who abandoned her as a child... Or go all "One-chan" on Satsuki. Really, the whole thing is kind of pointless unless they reveal Matoi sen. to also be Satsuki's dad... which wouldn't make much better still.

Also, while I have a spoiler open: Mako is totally going to save Ruyko's ass. Again.

Lets just say that it's very believable that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Satsuki's father decided to betray her.
    What?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ragyo is such a lovely person, why would anyone betray her? She's a strong, independent woman who just aims to take over the world. And who survives having her head cut off. That's gotta count for something. Also, she has one hell of a fashion sense
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

17. - Top - End - #347

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post

What?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ragyo is such a lovely person, why would anyone betray her? She's a strong, independent woman who just aims to take over the world. And who survives having her head cut off. That's gotta count for something. Also, she has one hell of a fashion sense
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know it's a joking what, but I feel it's worth stating that she literally was okay with throwing her newborn baby into the trash. That's 200% disgusting monster level, right there.

Anyway, you have a point, Ragyo is kind of a great individual, even if she's also totally evil and monstrous. Also I might be in the minority but I don't like her clown outfit. It's silly.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

Anyway, you have a point, Ragyo is kind of a great individual, even if she's also totally evil and monstrous. Also I might be in the minority but I don't like her clown outfit. It's silly.
    Her other dress and hair style were order of magnitude better.

19. - Top - End - #349

PirateGuy

I follow a guy on Youtube that does reviews of various popular anime as they come out, including KLK, and here's his video on the latest episode.

Wham bam.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Bugbear in the Playground

Watched first 2 eps. It was okay.

Maybe I'd be more into it if I was in the mood for an insane Gainax-fest. I'll save it for then.
    Check out our O'Reilly Book, "Creating Augmented and Virtual Realities: Theory and Practice for Next-Generation Spatial Computing"
    I contributed Chapter 13: "Virtual Reality Enterprise Training Use Cases"

21. - Top - End - #351

Spoiler
    Show
    I know it's a joking what, but I feel it's worth stating that she literally was okay with throwing her newborn baby into the trash. That's 200% disgusting monster level, right there.

Spoiler
    Show
    To be fair, I guess she was already Life Fiber at that point so throwing a baby of another race away isn't quite the same as casting away one of your own. That said, yeah, life fibers are kinda cruel in human terms. They kinda remind me of Illithids, really.

Yeah, yeah, I know, all these comparisons - illithids too look down on humans & don't consider them to have any value except as spawn beds.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

I'm obviously a little late to the "new episode" party here, but...

HOLY ****.

EDIT: Now that I've come back and caught up on the thread, here's my piece of crazy speculation for the day:

Spoiler: WMG
    Show
    It might just be the faux-sepia, but anyone else think that this

is just close enough to someone who could make themselves look like this

with enough effort?

Because that would explain a lot.

On a less plot-related note, I'm quite amused at Nui going full Paper Mario this episode.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2014-02-16 at 02:54 AM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

23. - Top - End - #353

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Show

with enough effort?

Spoiler
    Show
    They all but stated that in the episode. Ryuuko is Raggyo's second daughter who she cast away. Made Ryuuko's husband decide to rebel against the life fibers. Now, who was the life fiber rebel of this show? Matoi Isshin. And well, it only stands to reason he'd save the girl (his daughter too) and keep working on the project so as to defeat them.

And it also would explain why Raggyo knew about him and wanted him killed by Harime Nui. So yeah, I'd say it's all but guaranteed and we're even expected to realize as much.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

24. - Top - End - #354

You know, this series, the way it's paced, it's hard to think up theories sometimes, because things you'd make theories for don't last until the end of the episode unsolved.

However! I have one!
    Spoiler
    Show
    The reason why that black lady and Nui are so powerful, despite seemingly not wearing any life fiber clothing. They're not actually humans, they're Covers.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    EDIT: Now that I've come back and caught up on the thread, here's my piece of crazy speculation for the day:

Show

with enough effort?

On a less plot-related note, I'm quite amused at Nui going full Paper Mario this episode.
    Yes and no. They both have a sort of Old School Anime style going on which is suggestive. On the other hand the details are still rather different, the eyes for example.

I'm not willing to say on visual details alone... but it is kinda latent as an idea.

26. - Top - End - #356

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Yes and no. They both have a sort of Old School Anime style going on which is suggestive. On the other hand the details are still rather different, the eyes for example.

I'm not willing to say on visual details alone... but it is kinda latent as an idea.
    I'd argue that watching
    Spoiler
    Show
    the women you love throw away your second child like yesterday's garbage would cause someone's nice, caring eyes to become permanently angry and scowl-y

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Made Ryuuko's husband decide to rebel against the life fibers.
    Heh, for some reason I find that typo quite entertaining

Yeah, while we don't have any proof, there's a lot of indications towards this... unless the writers are just putting those out there to irritate us when it turns it is in fact his brother or something

However! I have one!
    Spoiler
    Show
    The reason why that black lady and Nui are so powerful, despite seemingly not wearing any life fiber clothing. They're not actually humans, they're Covers.
    I wouldn't agree about Ragyo's tailor(?) but it seems very likely Nue is this or something very much alike.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

28. - Top - End - #358

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I wouldn't agree about Ragyo's tailor(?) but it seems very likely Nue is this or something very much alike.
    It's ironic that you say the black lady is less likely since she arguably has the most evidence for it. She attacked with her sleeves, and when sliced in half by Satsuki she just reformed, no worse for wear.

My only evidence for Nui is that she's just so weird that it'd make sense if she wasn't human, and the fact that her eyepatch, instead of just being fashionable, looks as if it's a patch stitched directly to her face (as if repairing torn clothing).

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Given that Ryuko's dad had a lab coat with life fibers in it I don't think there's exactly compelling evidence to argue that either of Ragyo's attendants are more then that. We've already seen ample variety out of the school itself.

That something more is going on is possible enough though I tend to think last episode establishes they're only going to be minor threats now thus not nessecarily up for more development.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

My only evidence for Nui is that she's just so weird that it'd make sense if she wasn't human, and the fact that her eyepatch, instead of just being fashionable, looks as if it's a patch stitched directly to her face (as if repairing torn clothing).
    Nui also had those COVERS-like fakes that she threw out. She could also be yet another Life Fiber/Human hybrid.