New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Kill la Kill: The first life fiber is what?!

Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    And when I say that the animation is bad, I'm not saying the show as a whole looks bad, I'm just saying that the animation, the movement, is bad.
    Isn't the rest of that post kinda academic then if it doesn't come out to actually looking bad? Because for all shortcuts to be taken to actually matter they would have to actually hamper the show right.

Now we can argue it was done explicitly to get away with a more limited budget and help out Trigger as a new studio but I think a smoother more *ahem* animated style would detract from the surrealism and manic craziness of the show.

AKA it may be penny pinching but that hasn't stopped the show from being good visual art.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Colossus in the Playground

I understand what he's saying about the animations. Like, the words make sense.

But then I watch Kill la Kill and I'm like "why do people think this is animated poorly?"

The only things I can think of that aren't animated well is episode 4 (which is intentional, and a sort of reference to Gurren Lagann's 4th episode) and how Mako and Nui move around (which is intentional since they're so weird).

3. - Top - End - #423
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Isn't the rest of that post kinda academic then if it doesn't come out to actually looking bad? Because for all shortcuts to be taken to actually matter they would have to actually hamper the show right.

Now we can argue it was done explicitly to get away with a more limited budget and help out Trigger as a new studio but I think a smoother more *ahem* animated style would detract from the surrealism and manic craziness of the show.

AKA it may be penny pinching but that hasn't stopped the show from being good visual art.
    Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    . . . I'm not saying the show as a whole looks bad, . . .
    But I will say that the fight scenes, that aren't using Nui's nonanimation, do look bad. Either you you're mixing and matching great fluid animation with a complete lack of animation like in the Ryuko vs Satsuki fights which is visually jarring and highly noticeable, or you're entirely framing the fight in face shots, weapon clashes, and light beams which makes the fight feel like its stalling for time while a character monologues, or until a character receives a powerup. The former completely pulled me out of the action of the scene to comment on the presentation on both occasions (Eww CG Satsuki, and Oh look budget! oh wait its already gone) and the latter has completely ruined my investment in any battles involving minor characters.

Don't get me wrong, I love the style of the show, especially when taken to the extremes we saw with Episode 4 and every scene including Nui, but they could still do the same style while having a much larger animation bump for the fights ( I mean we both know that they actually couldn't because budget but still . . .). The style of the show doesn't preclude good animation and they've shown that they can produce good animation. It just boggles my mind that people can see the difference within the show back to back and still insist that the rest of the show is "fine".

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I understand what he's saying about the animations. Like, the words make sense.

But then I watch Kill la Kill and I'm like "why do people think this is animated poorly?"
    You're just viewing the difference between theory and application. Also possibly the difference between high art and entertainment.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sigh View Post
    Kill la Kill is kind of a spiritual successor to Gurren Lagann, except instead of starting out about being a man then slowly turning into a fight for the fate of the world, it's about revenge/wearing revealing clothing then slowly turning into a fight for the fate of the world.

Also the story goes at like, a bajillion miles a second so try not to blink while watching it.
    So Garren Lagann really is like KlK? I only watched the first few episodes of TTGL but then watched other stuff instead I planned to try TTGL again until I watched KlK but since then I have been unsure whether I should take KlK as an indicator for what I can expect from TTGL. So are the two really similiar?

6. - Top - End - #426

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    >Implying that any part of Kill la Kill is SFW.
    Point conceded! but you know what I mean.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    So Garren Lagann really is like KlK? I only watched the first few episodes of TTGL but then watched other stuff instead I planned to try TTGL again until I watched KlK but since then I have been unsure whether I should take KlK as an indicator for what I can expect from TTGL. So are the two really similiar?
    Yes and no.

While TTGL certainly has a rep for crazy over the topness but it takes a lot longer to get there and has far more quiet moments the KlK does. This also applies to characters, everyone isn't as hammy and don't nearly chew as half as much scenery. TTGL can seem almost sedate in comparison. Of course KlK can easily seemed rushed by the same coin.

That's not good or bad just in comparison. Compared to other faire well... they're both anime as entertainment and not too serious. Both share the same underlying fight the power theme... and it IS a literal theme in TTGL.

That all said if they were in the same universe... people would be all like...

"yeah that makes sense, Life Fibers force humans to create Spiral Energy and then absorb it.... it all makes sense now!"

Actually I think I might have actually read that somewhere as a theory.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    "yeah that makes sense, Life Fibers force humans to create Spiral Energy and then absorb it.... it all makes sense now!"

Actually I think I might have actually read that somewhere as a theory.
    KlK being a prequel to TTGL would make incredible amounts of sense in an extremely weird sort of way.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

Oh its clear nonsense, the academy being spiral shaped... pure coincidence.
    Though of course legally its probably impossible.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

I've never been good at judging art or acting quality... If either is weird I most often assume it's meant to be.

Anyway, as the English translators are taking their sweet time doing their thing I had to resort to watching German KlK subs of episode 21, the horror.

Spoiler
    Show

Lesbianism, nudity, vast amount of blood, Mako gets cut, Lavos awakens, more blood, more nudity, overall way too much Satsuki being effing badass and best of all: Nui getting shut up. If nothing else, this episode got my blood boiling and I can't wait for Matoi and Satsuki to team up and slice Ragyo into tiny pieces.
    (Still curious what's up with Ragyo's designer, though. Ah, it's probably nothing)
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

11. - Top - End - #431

What's up with her designer is what I said a few weeks ago. She's TOTALLY a Cover ninja disguised as a human. When the Covers where taking over people, she was completely ignored.

Anyway, as for the episode...
    Spoiler
    Show
    that was a good one. I kind of hoped Mako would get to use Senketsu to fight and free Matoi, but what we got is just as good!

Also it's REALLY CREEPY that Ragyo and Nui use lesbian mind rape to brain wash people. Can we maybe stop that?
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2014-03-06 at 07:48 PM.

12. - Top - End - #432

KlK being a prequel to TTGL would make incredible amounts of sense in an extremely weird sort of way.
    Spoiler
    Show

It's not as crazy as it sounds.

Also, only seen the episode in spanish while waiting for underwater to do their thing, and my spanish is not up to keeping up with the crazy so atm I am full of "wat", which I don't expect will change much when I understand what actually went down.
    Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
    ᴛʜɪs ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ sɪɢɴᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Watched up to episode 20
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is like, TTGL's fast-talking bitter girlfriend. like they're a couple because TTGL is always there to cheer her up and KLK is always there to tell him when he is being stupid, and their relationship is based on their common love for hot-bloodedness, over-the-top everything and explosions, where TTGL is like the cheerful guy in the relationship that is always getting snarked at by KLK but thats what they love about each other, y'know? and TTGL knows its just her way of dealing with things and they are both actually optimistic and will hold together through anything, no matter what happens, no matter how many arguments they have with each other y'know? y'know what I'm talking about...

and let me tell you.....I can honestly say I did not see any of the twists coming. even though there were like hints about them. For example: the opening credits. See Ryukos and Satsuki's faces? they have similar eyes. I noticed that. and I didn't even begin to guess at their relation. darn it!

its just so good at absorbing you into the moment that you don't care what comes next, you don't notice the things that hint at future stuff.

as for current events well....it is a lot like TTGL. Episodes 18-20 are also about the time when TTGL started getting ridiculously dark and hopeless before things started to get better. I'm pretty sure it'll soon be back to its pure awesome soon.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

14. - Top - End - #434

PirateGuy

Calling it now, the designer is the real Ragyo disguising herself in case her copy is defeated.

Anyway this episode was, for lack of a better word, intense. The beginning scene was incredibly uncomfortable to watch for all the right reasons and really solidified both Ragyo and Nui as complete monsters, if the previous episodes hadn't already convinced you of that. The TTGL feel has really just amped up to the max, and seeing all this weird space stuff for a second time is really weird, I wonder if they'll implement that in the future. Seeing Ryuko cut Mako was heartbreaking to see as well, even though she didn't move after doing that you could still see the heartbreak and inner turmoil from doing that to her best friend.

Also despite all the fanservice in the show, that kiss between Ryuko and Nui at the beginning was the first of its kind so far in the show's run, isn't it?

15. - Top - End - #435

Also despite all the fanservice in the show, that kiss between Ryuko and Nui at the beginning was the first of its kind so far in the show's run, isn't it?
    Yes, that's the first time something like that has happened in the show. It's implied Nui and Ragyo kiss...and do a lot more, however.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

What's up with her designer is what I said a few weeks ago. She's TOTALLY a Cover ninja disguised as a human. When the Covers where taking over people, she was completely ignored.
    [QUOTE=Sigh;17133376]Calling it now, the designer is the real Ragyo disguising herself in case her copy is defeated.
    Her not being human is quite clear, though I don't think I'd agree with Sigh's assumption. Ragyo is way too self-confident in her plans to have a backup like that, I think. Maybe it's really "just" a special kind of COVER, but this wasn't KlK if there wasn't more to it I assume.

Yes, that's the first time something like that has happened in the show. It's implied Nui and Ragyo kiss...and do a lot more, however.
    I'm not too sure... not that it would be OOC for either but it felt more like Ragyo is using it for her manipulations and she has no need to manipulate Nui. Don't get me wrong, they could totally be doing it for their own enjoyment but I think it's just part of their mind rape strategies.
    "What's done is done."

17. - Top - End - #437

Well I mean Nui literally said "Wow, you're almost as good as Ragyo, despite being unexperianced" after getting kissed

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

Well I mean Nui literally said "Wow, you're almost as good as Ragyo, despite being unexperianced" after getting kissed
    That's not what it said on Hulu.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Halfling in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

That's not what it said on Hulu.
    I don't know if there were differences in the translation teams' results, but the one I saw had Nui say that despite her inexperience, Ryuko was better than Ragyo.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I went back and in my subs there was no comparison to Ragyo. And listening I really couldn't make out anything either, at least no mention of Ragyo's name by Nui.
    Well, it doesn't really matter how much lesbian sex the two of them have...
    "What's done is done."

21. - Top - End - #441

Spoiler
    Show
    Also it's REALLY CREEPY that Ragyo and Nui use lesbian mind rape to brain wash people. Can we maybe stop that?
    Well, Ryuuko does sorely lack anyone to feel affectionate about so it makes a scary amount of sense to brainwash her by offering her what she probably subconsciously desires: happiness, family and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Well, I went back and in my subs there was no comparison to Ragyo. And listening I really couldn't make out anything either, at least no mention of Ragyo's name by Nui.
    Well, it doesn't really matter how much lesbian sex the two of them have...
    Nui's sentence begins with "あなた" ("anata"), the Japanese pronoun for "you"; I have a hard time understanding Nui due to the strange tone and prosody of her speech so I can't really get the whole sentence, but given she's addressing Ragyou I'm imagining that's the "you"/"Ragyou"-part of it.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2014-03-09 at 05:23 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Well, Ryuuko does sorely lack anyone to feel affectionate about so it makes a scary amount of sense to brainwash her by offering her what she probably subconsciously desires: happiness, family and all that.
    Well yeah, she did lose her father, and feel a rather harsh postmortem betrayal from him as well. Mako and her family are nice, but she's a guest in their household. They aren't family to her. Mako herself considers Senketsu to be her best friend, not her.

Satsuki at least has her elite four, Nui is crazy enough to not care, but Ryuko is forced to fight alone, for a group of people she can't belong to. In a lot of ways this was always kind of her defining factor, and something of a throwback to classic japanese superheroes like Devilman or the first Kamen Rider: Defending the human race, even if your weapons stop you from being a part of it. Given how many sound effects and one off costuming choices reflect this, it's no doubt intentional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

If it's the part I think you all are talking about, Nui wasn't talking about Ragyo. I'm pretty sure her line was 'omotta ijou ni tekunishan ... mada keiken asai kuse ni,' (思った以上にテクニシャン ... まだ経験浅いくせに), which Crunchyoll pretty reasonably translated as "for someone with so little experience, she has better technique than I expected."
    Last edited by A Rainy Knight; 2014-03-09 at 07:07 PM.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

24. - Top - End - #444

Then I heard wrong. I should know better than to try to make sense outta her speech
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    If it's the part I think you all are talking about, Nui wasn't talking about Ragyo. I'm pretty sure her line was 'omotta ijou ni tekunishan ... mada keiken asai kuse ni,' (思った以上にテクニシャン ... まだ経験浅いくせに), which Crunchyoll pretty reasonably translated as "for someone with so little experience, she has better technique than I expected."
    Ah, that's pretty much what the German translation said. Maybe I'm not giving them enough credit...
    "What's done is done."

26. - Top - End - #446

What an episode. So many great parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

27. - Top - End - #447

Spoiler
    Show
    I love it when Nui and reality slam head first into each other.

I really liked seeing the Order Regalia. Always had a feeling he had a three star uniform.

Although I'm glad to see Mako is back in action, I hope it's not just her fighting the gigantic Kamina Cover. I want the four deva's to get in on the fighting too!

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yea, this was a good episode to finally balance out all that darkness. Nui finally getting what was coming for her was satisfying. lets hope she gets more.

and the moment when the pin dropped for Ryukko about Satsuki's Four Deva's...priceless.

and Senketsu is really just a big ol' softie despite his deep voice and serious demeanor.

its really unfortunate to learn that the Life Fibers are Lavos and there are probably more of them out there though.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

29. - Top - End - #449

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yea, this was a good episode to finally balance out all that darkness. Nui finally getting what was coming for her was satisfying. lets hope she gets more.

and the moment when the pin dropped for Ryukko about Satsuki's Four Deva's...priceless.

and Senketsu is really just a big ol' softie despite his deep voice and serious demeanor.

its really unfortunate to learn that the Life Fibers are Lavos and there are probably more of them out there though.
    At that last part, maybe they can have a sequel or continuation of some sort where they keep the fight going like the latter half of TTGL?

But anyway, yes this was an amazing episode and seeing Mako back in her combat suit was equally amazing.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

[second part]
    Spoilers, dude

Spoiler
    Show
    I love it when Nui and reality slam head first into each other.

I really liked seeing the Order Regalia. Always had a feeling he had a three star uniform.

Although I'm glad to see Mako is back in action, I hope it's not just her fighting the gigantic Kamina Cover. I want the four deva's to get in on the fighting too!
    Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, I think that's the first time Nui really lost it which was pretty awesome. Though, I kind of have a hard time seeing her coming back into action with no arms. And we STILL don't know anything about the other lady... well, not much, anyway. Big reveal time?

It was pretty cool to see he had one but I kind of felt it wasn't necessary for him to have it. Only now when he is the one who needs to do all the sewing and stuff.

I'm curious if Inumuta really will join in. It seems Tsumugu is quite determined to take his place at least among the combat squad.
    But yeah, having Mako back in uniform is pretty cool. I guess we'll get some good action next week. Or at least fun action.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    [SPOILER]its really unfortunate to learn that the Life Fibers are Lavos and there are probably more of them out there though.
    Of course there are, so let's all get naked and found nudist beach, preemptively

Overall... nice episode, not as great as last week but still. It was all really well done for what it was but even with all the great stuff happening Ryuko's fight last time is hard to top. NeverthelessRyuko and Satsuki make such a great Red and Blue Oni team it's impossible not to get hyped.
    Ah, I can't wait for next week to happen!
    "What's done is done."