New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! A Community World-Building Game II: 2 Quest, 2 Curious

Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Good thing this Central Sea Conference is going on!

I was just thinking... The Dawn League has specific language stating that some of our nations are representatives to other alliances (for example, I am the envoy to the Union of the North). Would this allow us to negotiate trade by proxy? e.g. I'm headed to the Central Sea Conference, could I negotiate trade between, say, Crima and Qarimos (a fellow Dawn League member) while I'm there?
    What in the world is a Dawn League?

EDIT: And Morph, how do we determine what terrains exist for making winning tactics and do regions have terrains already assigned to them?

DOUBLE EDIT: Also, do we get to know the actions and such of NPC regions? Not the Imperium since it's very nebulous and unknown, but Region 3 and the Goblin Region are NPC and smack dab in the middle of everything and we know everything about everyone else. Are they just way better at espionage than us?
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-02-16 at 11:09 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Haha, it's what the Khan does best. What about the ships? Obviously I lost them (and my crew! Those Imperium folks are probably slavers!) but did they bestow upon me the knowledge of ocean faring ship building when they were in my ports being built?
    Oh! That? Nope, you don't have that. Turns out it was false information, just like with Guilder. (I neglected to outright state it in the Round Five opening post, so yeah.)

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Excellent. That stuff is pretty useful from a medical standpoint. Except, I'm going to have difficulties with addiction and drug trafficking, aren't I? No matter. I was considering introducing it as a resource anyway. I should put some sages and scholars onto studying its effects.
    Fun fact: Opium poppies are commonly grown as an ornamental plant, even in those countries where you'd be right to think it's illegal.
    We used to have poppies in our garden, in fact. I am still finding it odd that that has no connection to my mother practicing acupuncture and Chinese massage techniques. (Not because of an inherent relation between the two, but considering poppy properties, you'd think there to be a connection.)

EDIT: And Morph, how do we determine what terrains exist for making winning tactics and do regions have terrains already assigned to them?
    Basically, the idea for that was that each region has several terrain types within its borders, like how Domhan Abhaile has mountains, swamps and forests. Originally there was going to be stuff in the rules about maneuvering between regions and attacking specific positions in a region, but that got simplified so that wars for a single region don't last an ass-long time. Of course, you can still decide to attack a specific part of a region directly and only take that out, then retreat and agree to a truce. Perhaps I should include more such stuff with mechanical ties too, but that will require more deliberation, as to not give Military too great a benefit over the rest.

At any rate, I'll include something in the rules about winning tactics and related maneuvering. I'm thinking rolling an opposed check (1d6+Military, nothing else added) and the winner decides the battlefield (or if only the attacker or only the defender rolls, the person who makes the roll decides the battlefield).

There were a bunch of rules that were considered prior to Round 4 that weren't included in the major update, as enough was getting added and that other stuff required more thinking. It wasn't added in Round 5 either, because I want to try and space rules updates a little more as to not overload players with rules additions/changes every week.

DOUBLE EDIT: Also, do we get to know the actions and such of NPC regions? Not the Imperium since it's very nebulous and unknown, but Region 3 and the Goblin Region are NPC and smack dab in the middle of everything and we know everything about everyone else. Are they just way better at espionage than us?
    You get to know them... if you can, yes, and if they do something at all.

Rules for NPC regions are the same as for players, except that I give them only three actions, if they even do anything with those.

I'll try and do a short write-up for Zargrim today in Wombat's new template. Region 3 is still Nyroth, but its new ruler is upholding its policy of isolationism, because it makes them feel safe and they don't feel like they need to be involved in the rest of the world.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-02-16 at 11:25 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd just like to point out for the record that this round is still using Elder Jaten's stats as she died during the round. I'll roll Elder Ambvard's stats closer to the end of this round for next round.

Silverbit is so quick!

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    I originally wanted to name it the Kuro Imperium, then decided to change the name to something better, forgot the exact spelling of the name, and just went with an interpretation. It has nothing to do with any of the Scarlattis, though.
    Sarlatti Imperium does sound better. I don't usually make parallels at all, though I must mention the Sarlatti Imperium and Scarlatti Empire are so far very large empires within their stories.

Though, I wonder how influential the Sarlatti Imperium are going to be when half a dozen eager conquerors were to come down upon it...
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

Oh! That? Nope, you don't have that. Turns out it was false information, just like with Guilder. (I neglected to outright state it in the Round Five opening post, so yeah.)
    I figured as much. Damn swindler getting my men killed and captured! I'll have his head! I wonder if he was working for the Imperium...

Basically, the idea for that was that each region has several terrain types within its borders, like how Domhan Abhaile has mountains, swamps and forests. Originally there was going to be stuff in the rules about maneuvering between regions and attacking specific positions in a region, but that got simplified so that wars for a single region don't last an ass-long time. Of course, you can still decide to attack a specific part of a region directly and only take that out, then retreat and agree to a truce. Perhaps I should include more such stuff with mechanical ties too, but that will require more deliberation, as to not give Military too great a benefit over the rest.

At any rate, I'll include something in the rules about winning tactics and related maneuvering. I'm thinking rolling an opposed check (1d6+Military, nothing else added) and the winner decides the battlefield (or if only the attacker or only the defender rolls, the person who makes the roll decides the battlefield).
    I'd appreciate that, maybe a list of the types of regions that can be chosen (excluding unknown ones of course)

You get to know them... if you can, yes, and if they do something at all.

Rules for NPC regions are the same as for players, except that I give them only three actions, if they even do anything with those.

I'll try and do a short write-up for Zargrim today in Wombat's new template. Region 3 is still Nyroth, but its new ruler is upholding its policy of isolationism, because it makes them feel safe and they don't feel like they need to be involved in the rest of the world.
    Alright, cool, thanks Morph! :D

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh wow... I just saw the strife in Celero... Logic, I'm sorry if this is my fault D=

On the other hand, at least you can soon be free of the Fire Lord? Maybe?

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, y'know, just your regular average trade union:

The Pact of the Rising Sun
    Spoiler
    Show
    A pact to ensure all allied realms with economic advantages and mutual security on the world stage. New membership granted only by unanimous vote of all allied realms.
    • Establish The Dawn League, an alliance of mutual defense, open borders, trade, and technology sharing by specific agreement between Lyradis, Qarimos, Raaneka, and Razdis.
    • Lyradis will act as envoy to the Grand Coalition.
    • Raaneka will act as envoy to the Union of the North.
    • Razdis will act as envoy to the Silver Pact.
    • Establish ongoing trade of Lyrian Clay for Raaneki Wine.
    • Establish ongoing trade of Lyrian Grain for Razdisi Coal.
      • Ongoing trade of Lyrian Grain for Razdisi Stone declared void.
    • Establish ongoing trade of Qarimosi Ships for Raaneki Sandstone.
    • Establish ongoing trade of Raaneki Lumber for Razdisi Iron.
    • Establish ongoing trade of Razdisi Iron for Qarimosi Ships.
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

IIRC, it's a mini-alliance to the South. I know Raaneka and Qarimos are involved, but I dunno who else is. Evidently, this was answered above! IGNORE ME!

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    Though, I wonder how influential the Sarlatti Imperium are going to be when half a dozen eager conquerors were to come down upon it...
    Most likely? It'll turn out that they have a flipping huge army and enough regions to actually count as an empire. Armies get smashed.

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    Oh wow... I just saw the strife in Celero... Logic, I'm sorry if this is my fault D=

On the other hand, at least you can soon be free of the Fire Lord? Maybe?
    I object to this reference of DOOM CAN! I prefer MY Doom straight from the bottle, thanks.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. )
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2014-02-16 at 11:51 AM.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, y'know, just your regular average trade union:

The Pact of the Rising Sun
    Spoiler
    Show
    A pact to ensure all allied realms with economic advantages and mutual security on the world stage. New membership granted only by unanimous vote of all allied realms.
    • Establish The Dawn League, an alliance of mutual defense, open borders, trade, and technology sharing by specific agreement between Lyradis, Qarimos, Raaneka, and Razdis.
    • Lyradis will act as envoy to the Grand Coalition.
    • Raaneka will act as envoy to the Union of the North.
    • Razdis will act as envoy to the Silver Pact.
    • Establish ongoing trade of Lyrian Clay for Raaneki Wine.
    • Establish ongoing trade of Lyrian Grain for Razdisi Coal.
      • Ongoing trade of Lyrian Grain for Razdisi Stone declared void.
    • Establish ongoing trade of Qarimosi Ships for Raaneki Sandstone.
    • Establish ongoing trade of Raaneki Lumber for Razdisi Iron.
    • Establish ongoing trade of Razdisi Iron for Qarimosi Ships.
    Mutual defense? So a new military alliance for the map? (Cool name for it too btw, gotta give credit where credit is due)

I'm just hoping it isn't misconstrued as a mispronunciation of Doom Khan! I have nothing to do with the Lord of Fire!

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    I object to this reference of DOOM CAN! I prefer MY Doom straight from the bottle, thanks.

I'm afraid I miss the joke...

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

Note to self: always make rolls in the dice roll thread, just in case you need to edit the round opening post. For some reason, my Military roll got effed up, so now the result is two lower. As I prefer things that happen out in the open to be as open as possible, that includes my dice rolls and thus I had to remake them.

Oh well.

HA! That's funny to me for reasons practically nobody would understand.

Say, I don't suppose they sell that around Pennsylvania, eh?

I'm just hoping it isn't misconstrued as a mispronunciation of Doom Khan! I have nothing to do with the Lord of Fire!
    Khan in a can?
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-02-16 at 11:57 AM.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Troll in the Playground

Note to self: always make rolls in the dice roll thread, just in case you need to edit the round opening post. For some reason, my Military roll got effed up, so now the result is two lower. As I prefer things that happen out in the open to be as open as possible, that includes my dice rolls and thus I had to remake them.

Oh well.
    Barring another extreme stroke of Goblin luck that'll be a good thing for Kasumor

Khan in a can?
    I want this to exist now...

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ettin in the Playground

“I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Oh well.
    The rolls shouldn't break unless you actually edit them inside the post. As long as you don't actually touch the rolls themselves, they should be fine.

HA! That's funny to me for reasons practically nobody would understand.

Say, I don't suppose they sell that around Pennsylvania, eh?
    I wouldn't know, since I live in California and am a teetotaler anyway.

(I just googled DOOM CAN and looked through the images for something I could craft a joke around. A cursory google search suggests that the answer to your question is yes, though.)

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

In what year is the Central Sea Conference taking place?
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ettin in the Playground

Fwoo, finally got around to updating the Sympolemou page to meet standard regulation. Also includes the names and wording for all of our agreements, which were already named and stated before, but were hidden away in a spoiler box. So I can understand not finding them easily. They are now much more prevalent and easy to find.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

The rolls shouldn't break unless you actually edit them inside the post. As long as you don't actually touch the rolls themselves, they should be fine.
    I accidentally deleted part of it while trying to make a wording change in the part after that, then typed it back in before making the change go through. That apparently screwed it up.

I guess it's best for dice rolls to go inside the dice roll thread at all times anyway, since nothing can go wrong with edits there.

I am currently working on some tips and advice for new players to put up. Anyone got suggestions?
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-02-16 at 12:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Bugbear in the Playground

Silverbit is so quick!

Why thank you . I'm posting via iPad, so I've got access to the Internet for most of the day.

That's what they said about the Romans. I'm not drawing parallels or anything (Mediterranean much?) but I'm not touching them until my spies diplomats steal state secrets peaceably gather information.

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Fwoo, finally got around to updating the Sympolemou page to meet standard regulation. Also includes the names and wording for all of our agreements, which were already named and stated before, but were hidden away in a spoiler box. So I can understand not finding them easily. They are now much more prevalent and easy to find.
    Enguard, Sympol! Meet Underfoot Warrior Style!
    Also I made the rolls in the games thread instead of the rolls thread, my apologies. If you want I'll reroll in the actual thread for it?
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

I am currently working on some tips and advice for new players to put up. Anyone got suggestions?
    I suggest advising keeping a clear PM box to interact with others and be sure to be very clear with interactions with other players and typing out actions. Then trade hiccups and misunderstandings of alliance details are so much less likely to happen.

Though I suppose that might be common sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbit View Post
    That's what they said about the Romans. I'm not drawing parallels or anything (Mediterranean much?) but I'm not touching them until my spies diplomats steal state secrets peaceably gather information.
    Mmm... Well, good luck with your intelligence gathering exploration and shady dealings diplomatic endeavours. Here's hoping they believe in diplomatic immunity.

Though, if they murder your diplomats that would be information as well I guess...

EDIT - Is word of the Hovercraft public knowledge? I wonder if it is perhaps possible to steal the Hovercraft tech from the goblins before they become completely crushed...?
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-02-16 at 01:07 PM.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

19. - Top - End - #469

I placed my action for the Conferance in the third year of this turn, but it can go whenever. That was something I arbitrarily decided to do.

@Waylander I object to your godmoding of my guards. Please refrain from doing so in the future.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbit View Post
    Enguard, Sympol! Meet Underfoot Warrior Style!
    Also I made the rolls in the games thread instead of the rolls thread, my apologies. If you want I'll reroll in the actual thread for it?
    Engard, Dwarf! Meet Psychological Warfare!

That's perfectly fine, makes it a bit more streamlined anyway. Though it seems like your Challenger is starting off on a bad foot.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

What do technologies do as far as game mechanics are concerned, and how are they different from resources? I was reading around the OP earlier, and realized I didn't quite know what the benefit of a Curiosity 10 action would be like.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

I suggest advising keeping a clear PM box to interact with others and be sure to be very clear with interactions with other players and typing out actions. Then trade hiccups and misunderstandings of alliance details are so much less likely to happen.

Though I suppose that might be common sense...
    It might be wise to still state so clearly once again, though. Thank you for mentioning it.

EDIT - Is word of the Hovercraft public knowledge? I wonder if it is perhaps possible to steal the Hovercraft tech from the goblins before they become completely crushed...?
    Word of it is public knowledge, yes.

What do technologies do as far as game mechanics are concerned, and how are they different from resources? I was reading around the OP earlier, and realized I didn't quite know what the benefit of a Curiosity 10 action would be like.
    So far they only add a +1 to Military checks when they are relevant to the battle.

I'm thinking perhaps this should be changed though. Like that a technology can give a +1 to checks of one Attribute, that can be Military, but also instead of Military it could be Diplomacy, Curiosity or Faith. I don't really see how technology could add Faith unless you got brainwashing machines or such though. Maybe spreading of ideas or propaganda?

This will be one of the things I'll go over this week. Maybe some technologies can do stuff like that, or give a small benefit that isn't necessarily a bonus like that.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Troll in the Playground

It might be wise to still state so clearly once again, though. Thank you for mentioning it.

Word of it is public knowledge, yes.

So far they only add a +1 to Military checks when they are relevant to the battle.

I'm thinking perhaps this should be changed though. Like that a technology can give a +1 to checks of one Attribute, that can be Military, but also instead of Military it could be Diplomacy, Curiosity or Faith. I don't really see how technology could add Faith unless you got brainwashing machines or such though. Maybe spreading of ideas or propaganda?

This will be one of the things I'll go over this week. Maybe some technologies can do stuff like that, or give a small benefit that isn't necessarily a bonus like that.
    A printing press could add to Faith, getting the good word out there and all that. Of course, it could add to curiosity too, more ideas getting around. I guess that could go either way, but it's an idea.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

I like it! And I support the idea that technologies could give a bonus to more than just Military. With this interpretation, would things like diplomatic techniques/policies and schools of thought be examples of Diplomacy and Curiosity technologies, respectively?
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

25. - Top - End - #475

Updated Union charter again. Crima is sending horses to Ashenia, and vice versa. Bordeux is sending 3/6 glass to the other three members.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    Updated Union charter again. Crima is sending horses to Ashenia, and vice versa. Bordeux is sending 3/6 glass to the other three members.
    The glass is an import, it's not a resource Bordeux has itself.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Time for a MEGA-POST!

Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX View Post
    We demand compensation, regulation and damnat....no wait, the first two will do just fine.
    Understandable. Will probably be able to lend some ordanium. Or, since I have curiosity 5, tea or paper? EDIT: Actually, artifacts?

Hey Moossabi. Tekorva has an abundance of stone if you're interested...
    There is not actually a water route between us, so I don't see how this will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnur View Post
    Welcome, my lizardfolk brother. I'm glad to see another lizardfolk nation. Now, we only have to unite and Lizardfolk will rule the world.
    Btw: I have send expedition to your land, so treat them well. (It's probably late to change it to diplomatic mission.)
    I was thinking the exact same thing. Round 5 alliance?

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    As an unofficial [aka state unsanctioned] action, Joans' twin girls have snuck off on a merchant ship to the continent.

They are headed for the Raaneki Games. The Spirits help that poor country.

Pirate Girls Gone Wild!!!!

Also a small question: does using a special action (like c5) decrease your score on said trait accordingly? Example: using c5 decreases curiosity by 5
    Last edited by moossabi; 2014-02-17 at 01:34 AM.

28. - Top - End - #478

Hello moossabi, and have a belated welcome back!

To answer your question, no, using a special action does not lower your score in that attribute.
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

29. - Top - End - #479

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    I placed my action for the Conferance in the third year of this turn, but it can go whenever. That was something I arbitrarily decided to do.

@Waylander I object to your godmoding of my guards. Please refrain from doing so in the future.
    I'm sorry. If you want, I can change the scene. Looks like not alot has happened after it.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

30. - Top - End - #480

The glass is an import, it's not a resource Bordeux has itself.
    Oh. Well, whatever, guess I'm not exporting it. I don't honestly know why I thought it was a resource. Still,,it's nice to have. I've got some plans for it.

Oh, and Waylander? Don't worry about it. It jsut kind of get annoying when it happens. Just try to not do it again, and we'll be cool.
    Last edited by Lord_Burch; 2014-02-16 at 09:11 PM.