New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! A Community World-Building Game II: 2 Quest, 2 Curious

So I'm planning on hosting the Raaneki games every three turns as a standing opportunity for diplomacy/shenanigans. This next time around I'd like to have a few games that we could actually play, and I wanted to put it to the group.

Here's what we've got so far:

- Archery
    - Drinking Contest
    - Melee Duel (Best of 3: 1d10+1/2 Military (rounded up)+1 for using a style in the Scrolls of Prowess)
    - Riddles/Wits

The only trouble I can see is that it doesn't really seem like there's a lot of mechanical variety for these competitions. Everything kinda seems like it would boil down to military. Thoughts?
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    So I'm planning on hosting the Raaneki games every three turns as a standing opportunity for diplomacy/shenanigans. This next time around I'd like to have a few games that we could actually play, and I wanted to put it to the group.

- Archery
    - Drinking Contest
    - Melee Duel (Best of 3: 1d10+1/2 Military (rounded up)+1 for using a style in the Scrolls of Prowess)
    - Riddles/Wits

The only trouble I can see is that it doesn't really seem like there's a lot of mechanical variety for these competitions. Everything kinda seems like it would boil down to military. Thoughts?
    I like board games. In Tekorva's fluff this round, the ruling family has been revealed to play the board game go, or something similar. I'm not sure that'd be any difference from riddles/wits though as it'd just be curiosity. Maybe military as well.

For Tekorva it would make a good deal of sense if hunting was available if you don't mind. They use a blend of military and cunning to hunt. Hunting's a fairly common sport in many medieval settings.

EDIT - Typo
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-02-17 at 11:15 PM.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

3. - Top - End - #543
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post

- Archery
    - Drinking Contest
    - Riddles/Wits

I would be very intrested to be apart of your games. What round will they be in next?

The Orcs are coming, the Orcs are coming.
    The Orcs are here to play.

Sir Rikkan
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2346021

4. - Top - End - #544
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Hey Waylander, SECRET action = the thing you pmed me about!
    Your secret action or mine? Because mine isnt that.

P.S. trying to keep an action secret in an OOC thread is like meh.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    Ah. I see now, that threw off my calculations. So, do explorations/ my public schools Great Project count toward that +1?
    Sorry, I meant to reply to this and guess I didn't.

For your round 5 actions, you have a +1 to Diplomacy, and a +1 Curiosity as it stands right now. So in short, yes.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    @Morph, I have a general question about Curiosity actions. Say, for example, Genivana has Giant Lizards (Vouran, I mentioned them once offhand). If I wanted to make them into a resource for mounted soldiers would that be a Curiosity 5 action or a Curiosity 10 action? Maybe it depends on their strength relative to horses?
    reposting, cause it got buried last time.

Basically, I was wondering if there was more clarification on what is a technology. Like would gunpowder be a technology or a resource? I think we all believe it'd be Curiosity 10 to invent, but after that could a nation have it as a resource for trade or would they only be able to trade it's composite parts?

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ettin in the Playground

reposting, cause it got buried last time.

Basically, I was wondering if there was more clarification on what is a technology. Like would gunpowder be a technology or a resource? I think we all believe it'd be Curiosity 10 to invent, but after that could a nation have it as a resource for trade or would they only be able to trade it's composite parts?
    To be able to ride the Lizards as mounts for your units, you'd need to create them as a Resource (C5), and then create the Tech for them to ride them (C10).

Curiosity 10 from what I understand uses resources in a new way, that grants you some sort of bonus.

Curiosity 5 actions create the resources you can later use for Tech advancements.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    To be able to ride the Lizards as mounts for your units, you'd need to create them as a Resource (C5), and then create the Tech for them to ride them (C10).

Curiosity 10 from what I understand uses resources in a new way, that grants you some sort of bonus.

Curiosity 5 actions create the resources you can later use for Tech advancements.
    Is the technology for riding one animal really significantly different from the technology to ride another? I understand with the insects, they have more legs and can fly, but what's the difference between one terrestrial quadruped and another? To me it mostly seems like fluff. I feel like if I can put a saddle on a horse, I can put a saddle on a camel, ox, or elephant just the same. I figure "Resource: Riding Animal" should all be the same, unless someone wants a mount that is uniquely superior.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

Is the technology for riding one animal really significantly different from the technology to ride another? I understand with the insects, they have more legs and can fly, but what's the difference between one terrestrial quadruped and another? To me it mostly seems like fluff. I feel like if I can put a saddle on a horse, I can put a saddle on a camel, ox, or elephant just the same. I figure "Resource: Riding Animal" should all be the same, unless someone wants a mount that is uniquely superior.
    Well, I know that it had been ruled that Griffons require a technology to tame/ride them. So, we are waiting on that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

I figure "Resource: Riding Animal" should all be the same, unless someone wants a mount that is uniquely superior.
    I think so as well, though depending on these lizards you might have to research taming them to become riding animals or whatever. I think it'd be a power thing. If they're basically awesome horses I can't imagine why it wouldn't be fine, but if they can fly or are amazing warrior mounts giving +1 to military then well... Ultimately, it's up to Morph though.

What I wonder is how the more sentient lizardfolk would take the news of your people riding their perhaps distant cousins.

EDIT - I missed like... three sentences.
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-02-18 at 09:00 AM.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll let Morph answer that one, but you have a point...as long as you don't want the lizard to give you any bonuses to combat. It could then be treated as riding a horse or camel into battle without a tech.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Animals that you'd count as monsters, flying creatures, or creatures with supernatural or magical abilities all would require technology. Other ones? Nope, not necessary.

Wombat, PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    Well, I know that it had been ruled that Griffons require a technology to tame/ride them. So, we are waiting on that.
    I think griffons count as "uniquely superior"

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    What I wonder is how the more sentient lizardfolk would take the news of your people riding their perhaps distant cousins.
    I really don't know... I went with giant lizards because I was trying to think of what interesting riding animal might come out of the jungle. I almost went with riding capybaras, then I considered turtles, and finally settled on giant monitor lizards. Which I then found out where real at one point... which shouldn't have surprised me. And just now I learned that they might have been venomous so maybe they're distantly related to the basilisks from Hrathan-Tuor.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I'll let Morph answer that one, but you have a point...as long as you don't want the lizard to give you any bonuses to combat. It could then be treated as riding a horse or camel into battle without a tech.
    Fair enough. If it's gonna cost me a Tech as well, I'm gonna claim they can swim like marine iguanas and have them tow boats like some kinda crazy ocean chariots.

Edit: I got distracted reading wikipedia for links and Morph posted : P
    Second Edit: Are giant lizards monsters?
    Last edited by zabbarot; 2014-02-18 at 09:24 AM.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

Edit: I got distracted reading wikipedia for links and Morph posted : P
    Second Edit: Are giant lizards monsters?
    I am the slowest ninja.

And those would basically be like dinosaurs, which is a pretty large group with large variety, so yes.

Basically, nearly any creature that exists in real-life (or existed during the time humans have existed) do not require technology to use. A few exceptions exist, mostly prehistoric predators (sabertooth tigers, for instance, but one technology could easily encompass all large mammalian carnivores) and deep ocean creatures. Blue-ringed squid are really hard to train, for example.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-02-18 at 09:43 AM.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    I am the slowest ninja.

And those would basically be like dinosaurs, which is a pretty large group with large variety, so yes.

Basically, nearly creature that exists in real-life (or existed during the time humans have existed) do not require technology to use. A few exceptions exist, mostly prehistoric predators (sabertooth tigers, for instance, but one technology could easily encompass all large mammalian carnivores) and deep ocean creatures. Blue-ringed squid are really hard to train, for example.
    Fair enough. I guess I'll just embrace their carnivorous nature when I get around to training them

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

Animals that you'd count as monsters, flying creatures, or creatures with supernatural or magical abilities all would require technology. Other ones? Nope, not necessary.
    I hate to be a pain, but if there is a creature which is defined as a [Minor] resource and in working up to the curiosity 5 action [Good] resource, we can reveal stuff we'd written for said awesome creature through these build-up actions? I just don't want to make assumptions, so am just double checking.

I really don't know... I went with giant lizards because I was trying to think of what interesting riding animal might come out of the jungle. I almost went with riding capybaras, then I considered turtles, and finally settled on giant monitor lizards. Which I then found out where real at one point... which shouldn't have surprised me. And just now I learned that they might have been venomous so maybe they're distantly related to the basilisks from Hrathan-Tuor.
    No doubt, giant lizards are cool things to ride. I think one of my early DnD campaigns had kobolds riding lizards. /shrug

Well, giant lizard venom certainly sounds useful and possible.

I am the slowest ninja.
    ...but still effective. That is what matters.

Fair enough. I guess I'll just embrace their carnivorous nature when I get around to training them
    I realize what I meant, but I can just imagine someone running around screaming 'Ow my arm!' while a lizard looks innocently at them.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

No doubt, giant lizards are cool things to ride. I think one of my early DnD campaigns had kobolds riding lizards. /shrug

Well, giant lizard venom certainly sounds useful and possible.
    Giant lizards are pretty neat in general. I mean, horses run faster, but lizards can climb and swim so that's neat.

I imagine if the vouran in Genivana have any venom it's vestigial. There's just enough to suggest they're related to the basilisks, but not enough to actually make use of.

I realize what I meant, but I can just imagine someone running around screaming 'Ow my arm!' while a lizard looks innocently at them.
    I laughed

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

I hate to be a pain, but if there is a creature which is defined as a [Minor] resource and in working up to the curiosity 5 action [Good] resource, we can reveal stuff we'd written for said awesome creature through these build-up actions? I just don't want to make assumptions, so am just double checking.
    Sure, no problem at all.

In other news, turns out the goblins of Zargrim primarily worship the Lord of Fire, but a sizeable minority worships an organized religion based on the belief in the Great Eel Spirit.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure, no problem at all.

In other news, turns out the goblins of Zargrim primarily worship the Lord of Fire, but a sizeable minority worships an organized religion based on the belief in the Great Eel Spirit.
    Which explains why the hovercraft was full of eels What ever happened with that translation challenge you gave us btw?

And were there no Luck gains this round at all or did I miss it?

Edit: Luck is important to me because I am two points from summoning the Luck Dragon.
    Last edited by zabbarot; 2014-02-18 at 10:07 AM.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

Would anyone be interested in attending a "World's fair" every few rounds? I plan to have Celero host the first one, and it could be a round robin-style affair after that.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #561

Sounds great. Gives me space to show off the Eel-craft le Magnificent v3.0951357.O (Patent still pending).
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

Which explains why the hovercraft was full of eels What ever happened with that translation challenge you gave us btw?

You want the literal translation, or the intent behind it?

There was only one, which I only remembered after posting it, so I simply told Wombat to count it. That one was for Zap Dynamic, due thanks to the Raaneki games. I most likely forgot it since it didn't get started until halfway through the week.

Would anyone be interested in attending a "World's fair" every few rounds? I plan to have Celero host the first one, and it could be a round robin-style affair after that.
    Intruiging! I see there are now ideas for multiple repeatable events. The Grand Ball being a diplomatic event, the Raaneki Games being about sports (which apparently seem tied to Military) and your World's Fair I presume to be scientifically-inspired.

Like, we're short a Faith and Luck event almost, seems like.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-02-18 at 10:10 AM.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

Bori... The Great Eel Spirit? Awesome.

It really doesn't.

I also didn't see any. I suppose everyone who did awesome stuff lost their coin toss. One needs luck to gain luck I suppose.

I would. Yuuhi and Kokuei will finally be old enough to actually do things. It's a shame the only characters I'd written stuff for were either too old or busy for the Raaneki Games. It's also a shame that it doesn't make a lot of sense for Tekorva to attend the Conference regarding the sea currently. Yes, Tekorva usually keeps to itself. :smallshifty:

Is anyone else planning events in future rounds? I am working on something and would prefer it not clash with other stuff.

EDIT - Umm... A luck event? We do need one of those.

Actually, now I'm hoping nobody puts my idea into motion before I do!
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-02-18 at 10:14 AM.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought we were challenged to translate it. I sent you my attempt and was wondering how I did

Intruiging! I see there are now ideas for multiple repeatable events. The Grand Ball being a diplomatic event, the Raaneki Games being about sports (which apparently seem tied to Military) and your World's Fair I presume to be scientifically-inspired.

Clearly everyone can gather in Genivana to play Russian Roulette, winner takes all.
    With my 8 luck I will soon rule the world!

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

There was only one, which I only remembered after posting it, so I simply told Wombat to count it. That one was for Zap Dynamic, due thanks to the Raaneki games. I most likely forgot it since it didn't get started until halfway through the week.

A "Meeting of the Faiths' Emporium" and "World Series of Poker" satisfy one each.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

There was only one, which I only remembered after posting it, so I simply told Wombat to count it. That one was for Zap Dynamic, due thanks to the Raaneki games.
    Oh! Well great!

When will we find out what the Luck 5 and Luck 10 actions look like? Luck has been an aspiration for these rulers, so I'd like to use the ability before they abdicate.
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

I just saw the religion post. Mosi II is the head of Radurja right now, seeing as he is the first Witness.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

Bori... The Great Eel Spirit? Awesome.
    It is hereby called "Bori".

I thought we were challenged to translate it. I sent you my attempt and was wondering how I did

Clearly everyone can gather in Genivana to play Russian Roulette, winner takes all.
    With my 8 luck I will soon rule the world!
    Hmmm, perhaps I should have such challenges also give a Luck bonus if it is correctly interpreted.

...which means that neither you, nor Silver Ablaze or WaylanderX get a bonus for the earlier translation, but still.

I'll give some results later.

I just saw the religion post. Mosi II is the head of Radurja right now, seeing as he is the first Witness.
    Noted.

Also, for those who've made an organized religion, do they want to do write-ups for it, or have they done so, or is there anything I can link to?

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, for those who've made an organized religion, do they want to do write-ups for it, or have they done so, or is there anything I can link to?
    You could link to the Codex for Radurja I guess. I can work on a short blurb for it though.

30. - Top - End - #570

Tables updated for population increases

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here