New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Dark Souls II: The Thread, AND the Game!

Playgrounders Gamertags listed by system.

Spoiler
    Show
    Forum Name Game Name
    Antonok Verify Humanity
    JabberwockySupafly Lord Shaper
    Octopusapult Octopusapult
    Tome Taejix
    Crazysaneman Crazysaneman
    CynicWalnut CynicWalnut
    Riccaru hell0 cthulhu

PS3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Forum Name Game Name
    Dusk Eclipse Dusk Soul
    dirtytricks bigROXXOR
    Snowbluff Snowbluff
    TechnOkami T3chn0kam!
    Whoracle Everwicked

PC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Forum Name Game Name
    Mattarias, King Mattarias
    Hazzardevil Sparemoss056
    Whoracle LynxCore666

Previous Threads
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by TechnOkami; 2014-05-27 at 08:38 PM.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Souls II: The Thread, Not the Game

Tips for the Taurus demon? I'm getting stuck on it pretty hard.
    I'm mostly here for Warframe and a tiny bit of RWBY.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
    To the invader with the massive lightning hammer:

Kindly sod off and leave my level 6 mercenary alone. You screwed up half an hours worth of careful progression.
    They were just welcoming you to Dark Souls.

As for the Taurus Demon, I would suggest going up the ladder (if you haven't noticed it yet it is to the right of where you enter) to get off a plunging attack. The Taurus Demon is rather slow so you can bait out an attack from it, then get a few hits in before backing up again.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Use gold resin on your weapon (equip gold resin to your inventory for use) and it will give your weapon lightning damage. It's super effective.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

If you don't have sorcery (you poor fool), then TechnOkami's suggestion is a good one.

One good tactic for dealing with it in HtH is to clear out the archer on the ledge above you before it spawns, run forward to trigger it and then turn around sprint for the ladder. Get on the ledge and wait for it to get under you and then do a plunging attack for massive damage. Be quick about it, if you wait too long it'll jump up.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Another way to deal with it is to get a good shield (Heater Shield should do just fine if your starting class doesn't have a solid shield) and with decent stamina you should be able to tank most of his attacks on it - just make sure you lower the shield when he isn't attacking to improve your stamina recovery rate. Then, circle around to his side or behind him and practically stand on his feet. A lot of his attacks will then miss you because they go over your head or will be outright aimed wrong.

The only trouble is that when he does get his feet sorted, it'll be difficult to dodge, so make sure you watch for that so you have your stamina back to block.

Also, if you ever need to heal sit back at long range and bait an attack - roll backwards out of the way and you should have enough time to drink an Estus.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Opening up by gripping your weapon in two hands, coating it in the lightning resin and doing a plunging attack can help a lot. I had a lot of trouble with the Taurus Demon myself the first time around, and I eventually killed it by backing up a few times to repeat the plunging attack.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

You know what's the best most fun way to kill the Taurus Demon though? Bow and Arrow.

Much Ranged. Very cheese. Such whittle. Wow.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Did someone just make a doge reference? Am I going to have to choke them?

Geeze... It's been forever since I played this game. As was said, the resin works wonders and can really reduce its health rapidly. Failing that, it telegraphs its attacks quite badly so you just need to predict and avoid.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I beat Mario & Luigi with my reaper build. Solaire managed to outdamage me, even with Lightning Spears I couldn't kill Mario fast enough so I got to fight Lightning Mario instead of Giant Luigi. Yippee. Granted, both weapons are useless to me as is the Leo Ring, but I kinda wanted the ring for completionist's sake.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Popping in to subscribe; Jade what kind of build are you using?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Faith-heavy, light armor, Occult Great Scythe, also grabbed Lightning Spear.

Debating attacking Gwynevere or joining the Princess Guard so I can use the specific miracles. Maybe I can do both so long as I don't join another covenant afterward.

Also, I can't figure out which staircase Gwyndolin is at the bottom of.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2014-02-15 at 08:27 PM.
    My Steam profile

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    He is at the bottom of the spiral staircase that can be moved up and down. Turn the big lever to put the staircase at it's lowest position and you should find a bonfire at the bottom of the stairs, Gwyndolin is past the bonfire, behind the statue.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Faith-heavy, light armor, Occult Great Scythe, also grabbed Lightning Spear.

Debating attacking Gwynevere or joining the Princess Guard so I can use the specific miracles. Maybe I can do both so long as I don't join another covenant afterward.

IIRC the Princess guard miracles are covenant only, so if you leave it to join the Darkmoon Blades you would loose access to them. Honestly unless you do a lot of coop play I don't think they are worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Ferret View Post
    He is at the bottom of the spiral staircase that can be moved up and down. Turn the big lever to put the staircase at it's lowest position and you should find a bonfire at the bottom of the stairs, Gwyndolin is past the bonfire, behind the statue.
    Don't forget you need the Darkmoon Seance ring you get in the Catacombs to get past the Gwyn(?) statue, also DO NOT cross the boss fog, it prevents you from joining DMBs for that play-through.
    Just call me Dusk

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Terrible. Just terrible. Why anyone would want to be anything other than a Sunbro is beyond me.
    Last edited by Infernally Clay; 2014-02-15 at 09:18 PM.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

One gank too many by the so called Sun"bros" turned me into a merciless hunting wraith!
    Just call me Dusk

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Because Red Eye Orb (and DMB ofc).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    One gank too many by the so called Sun"bros" turned me into a merciless hunting wraith!
    Yar, I as well. Praise the dark!
    Vereor Nox

19. - Top - End - #19

So, I finally got a character that I'm enjoying playing, and I've only died once so far (no, the five invaders that killed me don't count. If they can one-shot me through my shield while I'm only able to do 12 damage to them on a hit, there's no way I'm going to count that as a death).

That one death was to the massive mace wielding black knight in the chapel, though. Tips? Build is Warrior, armored in chain torso, head, legging, and hardened leather gauntlets (yes, the boar helm is statistically better. It also looks stupid). Shield is a Hollow Soldier shield. Have a longsword that I use primary, with a looted spear that I use when I need to fight in a corridor (I've gotten severely maimed by enemies when the sword catches on the wall -_-).

I have the repair box, so everything is (nearly) in tiptop shape.
    I'm mostly here for Warframe and a tiny bit of RWBY.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

Try luring the huge guy out of the door nearest the bonfire in the parish. If you've already cleared the two sword hollows and the X-bow hollow you should have ample room to dodge and counter. Settle for a hit or two and get back and wait for an opening. Wash rinse repeat. He hits hard but turns oh so slowly between attacks
    Vereor Nox

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

For the Taurus Demon. Probably the funniest (If a little lame) way to kill him:

Theres a hole in the wall on the bridge you fight him on. Lure him there. Dodge one of his attacks and then position yourself in a way, that the Taurus demon faces you and stands directly in front of the gap. Depending on how close you stand to him, he will do a little jump backwards to get some distance. If you positioned him right, he will fall of the bridge and die instant.

You cant get his axe this way tough, not that it is good or anything, but for those doing the Weapon Achievment.

@ thsoe struggling with knights. The easiest way is to get comfy with parrys. You can kill most knights with 3-4 parrys. This does NOT apply to the huge ones that use maces and the Tower shield. You cant parry their attacks. For those simply wait for them to raise their weapon, roll backwards and then slash once or twice after they've smashed the ground. Repeat. If youre impatient, try to strafe around them and roll RIGHT when they slash their weapon in your direction. It will either miss you completely or you will roll trough below. You can get 4 or 5 his out this way, depending on your stamina.

EDIT:

Also, for those getting annoyed at invaders. Pull the networkplug when youre human. Problem fixed.
    Last edited by Stuebi; 2014-02-16 at 01:32 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Infernally Clay View Post
    Terrible. Just terrible. Why anyone would want to be anything other than a Sunbro is beyond me.
    PRAISE THE SUN!
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

That one death was to the massive mace wielding black knight in the chapel, though. Tips? Build is Warrior, armored in chain torso, head, legging, and hardened leather gauntlets (yes, the boar helm is statistically better. It also looks stupid). Shield is a Hollow Soldier shield. Have a longsword that I use primary, with a looted spear that I use when I need to fight in a corridor (I've gotten severely maimed by enemies when the sword catches on the wall -_-).
    I don't get why people like boar helm. It's only got better stats than others in the time period between acquiring it and acquiring the Elite Knight Helmet, assuming you don't get a gargoyle helmet from the boss, and the boar helm is stupidly heavy.

Anyway, I find this guy really easy, but then, I always just lure him out to the place where the three hollow soldiers are, and his moveset is second nature at this point since he's so slow (you can say Havel's slow too, but no. Havel just telegraphs his attacks a lot, you have to get perfect timing to dodge them).
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2014-02-16 at 04:07 PM.
    My Steam profile

24. - Top - End - #24

DwarfFighterGuy

The easiest way I found to deal with Havel was to just 2H overhead chop him with the Zweihander, as it is faster than he is and knocks him down. Rinse and repeat, with running away while your stam bar refills.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

25. - Top - End - #25

Nah, the easiest thing for Havel is to just use pyromancy.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by iyaerP View Post
    PRAISE THE SUN!
    PRAISE! \[]/
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Guy View Post
    Nah, the easiest thing for Havel is to just use pyromancy.
    Chain backstabs, sunbro.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hey cool. Gamertags are someone elses problem now. :p

Sorry I messed those up in that first thread, I broke my computer on like page 14 or so and when I came back the thread was like 40 pages long...
    Like RPGs? Like free stuff? Check out RPG-a-Month by Archfossil! Every month a new game and additional content and updates for the games already active.

RPG-a-Month for May : ACE - Assault, Control, Espionage

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

If we're keeping track of IDs again, is my login name the one we keep track of? Because I think mine is Sparemoss056, but I'm not certain.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    If we're keeping track of IDs again, is my login name the one we keep track of? Because I think mine is Sparemoss056, but I'm not certain.
    Console or Computer?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    Console or Computer?
    Computer master race.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.