New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 54 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXVI

A 339

At the end of the xth rounds after the round in which the caster stops concentrating.

A 339 b

If the caster does not spend a standard action to concentrate, the two rounds start counting at the beginning of the next round. Only that way the spell can last two full rounds afterwards.

A 447

Only if the ability granting them says so. There is no general rule that temporary hit points harm undead.

Q 448

If extra damage is expressed in dice plus a static modifier (e.g. sneak attack damage on a character with the craven feat) does the static portion get multiplied on a critical hit?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-04-09 at 01:26 PM.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Q 449
    If extra damage is expressed in dice plus a static modifier (e.g. sneak attack damage on a character with the craven feat) does the static portion get multiplied on a critical hit?
    Next question is 450

A 449 The extra damage granted from a critical hit doesn't normally apply to single effects of precision based damage such as sneak attack. Although Craven makes no mention of the type of damage it deals, it can only be dealt in addition to sneak attack damage dealt for a single attack. Since a critical hit doesn't allow for sneak attack damage to be multiplied (by either a flat multiplier or the "extra" damage roll as posed in the SRD) due to sneak attack can only be applied once per attack, Craven likewise only applies once.

Edit: I didn't actually answer the question about multiplying haha, see the next post for the answer which I believe to be correct.
    Last edited by NoACWarrior; 2014-04-09 at 02:32 PM.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 449 [correction] Yes.
    Multiplying Damage
    Sometimes you multiply damage by some factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers) multiple times and total the results. Note: When you multiply damage more than once, each multiplier works off the original, unmultiplied damage.

Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage are never multiplied.
    The exception is only for damage dice; static damage components follow the "normal" D&D multiplication rules. There is no "all or nothing" rule which would have static damage components subject to the same multiplication limits as for dice. You follow all the appropriate rules and exceptions as they apply to each damage component.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2014-04-09 at 02:03 PM.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q450
    If a creature has been Dominated or otherwise mind-controlled (say via Fanatical attitude from a Diplomacy check), and it is again subject to the same effect what happens?

Q451

Say a Golem has been affected by Greater Humanoid Essence and can now be affected by Mind-Affecting and is then mind-controlled; would the new mind-controlling affect supersede the Golem's creator's control?

5. - Top - End - #965

OldWizardGuy

Q452 Can I take a 5ft step and use a standard action attack if I am slowed?

6. - Top - End - #966
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 339

At the end of the xth rounds after the round in which the caster stops concentrating.
    This does not answer the question, because it is not clear what it means. Do I count from the last round when the caster did concentrate? Or do I count from the first round the caster did not concentrate? Then, say it is 2 rounds longer, a la summon swarm. Does that mean that the swarm act in 2 consecutive rounds after concentration? Or does it disappear in the 2nd round before it can act?

Q 339bHas there been errata to summon monster regarding this? I see references to text stating the monster "acts normally on the last round of its duration, then disappears", but I do not see that text in the PHB.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 452 Yes.

Being slowed is not one of the listed restrictions which disallow a 5' step.
    You can move 5 feet in any round when you don’t perform any other kind of movement.
    You can only take a 5-foot step if your movement isn’t hampered by difficult terrain or darkness.
    A 5' step is officially listed as "no action", so it can accompany either a standard action or (non-moving) move action when you're slowed.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by squiggit View Post
    Q430

Can you Enhance a spell like magic missile? I don't think you can, but a player was arguing that you can interpret extra damage dice based on CL and extra attacks on the same CL track that each add one dice in the same way. So I figured I'd ask someone who knew more than I did.
    No you cannot, as long as you are talking about the epic metamagic feat Enhance Spell. Magic missiles is explicitly called out as not a vailid target.. "This feat has no effect on spells that don't specifically deal a number of dice of damage equal to your level or half your level, even if the spell's effect is otherwise dictated by your level. Thus, it has no effect on magic missile (though your level determines how many missiles you fire), Melf's acid arrow (though your level indicates how many rounds the acid deals damage), or produce flame (though you add your level to the base 1d4 points of damage dealt)."

9. - Top - End - #969
    Titan in the Playground

Q 453

Is there any way (weapon property, feat etc.) to make a longspear usable with Weapon Finesse?

10. - Top - End - #970

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by broodax View Post
    This does not answer the question, because it is not clear what it means. Do I count from the last round when the caster did concentrate? Or do I count from the first round the caster did not concentrate? Then, say it is 2 rounds longer, a la summon swarm. Does that mean that the swarm act in 2 consecutive rounds after concentration? Or does it disappear in the 2nd round before it can act?

Q 339bHas there been errata to summon monster regarding this? I see references to text stating the monster "acts normally on the last round of its duration, then disappears", but I do not see that text in the PHB.
    A 339a/b Regarding concentration + x rounds, so long as the caster is concentrating on the spell, the spell will continue to take effect (note any set limits as stated by the spell though). On a turn when the caster doesn't concentrate on the spell (for whatever reason) the x round limit kicks in and at the end of the current round the round limit is set at 1. Whenever at the end of the round the round limit meets the x round number the spell ends. With regards to summon swarm, you have 2 rounds for which the swarm will remain active when you cease to concentrate starting with the first round you don't concentrate on the spell.

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Q450 If a creature has been Dominated or otherwise mind-controlled (say via Fanatical attitude from a Diplomacy check), and it is again subject to the same effect what happens?

Q451 Say a Golem has been affected by Greater Humanoid Essence and can now be affected by Mind-Affecting and is then mind-controlled; would the new mind-controlling affect supersede the Golem's creator's control?
    A 450 If you mean from a second source, such as an opposing spell caster / diplomacy skill user, special rules apply as per the SRD - requiring opposed Charisma checks when orders are conflicting, but that's under the assumption both are "mental controls".

Quote Originally Posted by From SRD Combining Magical Effects
    Multiple Mental Control Effects
    Sometimes magical effects that establish mental control render each other irrelevant, such as a spell that removes the subjects ability to act. Mental controls that don’t remove the recipient’s ability to act usually do not interfere with each other. If a creature is under the mental control of two or more creatures, it tends to obey each to the best of its ability, and to the extent of the control each effect allows. If the controlled creature receives conflicting orders simultaneously, the competing controllers must make opposed Charisma checks to determine which one the creature obeys.
    A 451 Assuming that the Golem is somehow not immune to Greater Humanoid Essence (due to the allowing of SR), said Golem could be affected by mind-controlling in that there is no RAW explicit denotation that determines what a master of a Golem confers in terms of "controlling" said golem. This scenario is not technically possible as GHE can only be applied to living constructs (as stated in the spell description).

11. - Top - End - #971

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 453
    Is there any way (weapon property, feat etc.) to make a longspear usable with Weapon Finesse?
    A 453 Yes, any feat/ability/weapon property which makes the longspear be treated as a light weapon either on attack or generally would have the weapon finesse feat applied (that said, I haven't found a feat to do so). While an entire listing of ALL methods to achieve this goal may not be in the scope of this thread, I propose a simple solution - weapon size. If you get a longspear which is 2 size categories under your normal size, and take a -4 to attack with it (with an additional -4 for any non-proficiency) the longspear is considered to be light for the purposes of using weapon finesse. The issue then becomes on whether or not the longspear still has reach - since its now acting as a tiny longspear somewhat the size of a short sword or quarter spear (not really a quarter spear though), by RAW theres nothing which states that the weapon loses reach when it drops down by a particular size. According to Rules compendium a reach weapon which becomes smaller loses said reach.

Edit: I knew something was going to be disputed haha. Stikethru incorrect, red is corrected. I REALLY need to get rules compendium :/
    Last edited by NoACWarrior; 2014-04-09 at 06:35 PM.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Q 454

Can one trip a flying creature?

13. - Top - End - #973

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dharack View Post
    Q 454
    Can one trip a flying creature?
    A 454 Yes. While not explicitly mentioned in the SRD, any creature which relies on their limbs to stay aloft are subject to being "tripped" with the tripping result causing a stall for the flying creature. Anything which has perfect maneuverability and does not rely on their limbs to fly cannot be tripped.

Quote Originally Posted by from SkipW All About movement article number 5
    Trip
    Most creature using wings or other appendages to fly can be tripped. Incorporeal creatures with perfect maneuverability, and creatures that don't rely on their limbs to fly cannot be tripped when in flight.

Resolving the Trip Attempt: The attacker makes a Strength check. The defender can oppose the attempt with a Strength check or a Dexterity check. Each creature gets a bonus based on its maneuverability rating, as follows: perfect +12, good maneuverability +8, average +4, poor +0, clumsy -4.

Stability bonuses do not apply in aerial overruns.

Trip Results: A successful trip forces the defender to stall (even if the tripped creature doesn't have a minimum forward speed) rather than knocking the defender prone.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 453 [correction] No.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoACWarrior View Post
    ...by RAW theres nothing which states that the weapon loses reach when it drops down by a particular size.
    Except for this very plain statement on page 151 of Rules Compendium:
    A wielder gains no reach from a reach weapon that is too small. No additional reach is granted by a reach weapon that is too big.
    A 454

This answer is included in A 044.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 455
    Where can I find the starting ages/age categories/maximum age of Goliaths?
    Thanks to zimmerwald1915 for giving me the random on-the-fly pic he made as an Avatar. You're awsome zimmerwald1915!

16. - Top - End - #976

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zethex View Post
    Q 455
    Where can I find the starting ages/age categories/maximum age of Goliaths?
    A 455 There is no actual information for regular Goliaths listed Races of Stone. While some people say use "Feral Gargan" due to them being Goliaths, this isn't something that was officially noted by WoTC. With that said, reasonable DMs would observe the stats for Goliaths as being very similar to those of "Feral Gargun" listed on page 86 and the actual race description on page 89 of races of stone.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

confused Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXVI

Q 456 I was told that the Weapon Focus granted by Swordsage's 1st level Discipline Focus could give Improved Unarmed Strike. Is this true and, if yes, then how?
    Incarnum: VoP's best (and possibly only) friend.
    Spoiler: Quotes and Fun Links
    Show
    Spoiler: Quotes:
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Actually I got it from you, I just love how many applications it has. It can be oh so broken.

Formerly Lestroisrois. Shorten my new name however you wish; I've seen plenty.

18. - Top - End - #978

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lestroisrois View Post
    Q 456 I was told that the Weapon Focus granted by Swordsage's 1st level Discipline Focus could give Improved Unarmed Strike. Is this true and, if yes, then how?
    A 456 Sort of true, but not proficiency or the actual feat. Technically you simply gain weapon focus as part of the Discipline Focus ability in the discipline's affected weapons, ignoring prerequisites. A few of the Disciplines (3 out of the 9) has unarmed strike listed. By RAW, the swordsage is treated as if having the weapon focus feat in all weapons in all disciplines that the swordsage has. Also by RAW, this does not give you the ability to use said weapon / attack form, it just confers the +1 bonus on attack rolls if you were to use it. Some people might mistake this and say that you can suddenly do unarmed strikes, by RAW they are wrong. However your DM might house rule that the disciplines give you proficiency due to this ridiculous RAW reading (having a +1 to something you are not proficient in, and do not have a feat in)

19. - Top - End - #979
    Banned

Devil

Q457

Is there anyway to Iaijutsu Focus with Unarmed Strike? Would the answer change if you a) had Improved Unamred Strike or b) were a monk?

A453; there is a Dragon feat called Companion Guard Style which allows Dex to attack with a Longspear. However it is not explicitly 'finesseable' if something requires the longspear to be finessed, but pointing it out to the DM may be in order.

20. - Top - End - #980

OldWizardGuy

Q458 If an enemy has total concealment at a distance of 5ft due to smoke and I walk into their square what happens next?

21. - Top - End - #981

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Q457
    Is there anyway to Iaijutsu Focus with Unarmed Strike? Would the answer change if you a) had Improved Unamred Strike or b) were a monk?
    A 457 While the Skill Iaijutsu Focus says you need to draw a melee weapon immediately before attacking a flat-footed opponent, it doesn't say you actually have to attack with the weapon drawn. By RAW, you cannot drop the weapon you drew then attack with your fists, you MUST attack immediately after drawing a weapon. If you had improved unarmed strike you could attack with it instead of the weapon you drew (there are certain restrictions on unarmed strike and using a two handed weapon, if you try to use IF in this method, use it on a light weapon so that you have a free hand to attack).

Quote Originally Posted by cd4 View Post
    Q458 If an enemy has total concealment at a distance of 5ft due to smoke and I walk into their square what happens next?
    A 458 Normally an enemy would get an attack of opportunity to enter their square, but couldn't do so because of total concealment (total concealment blocks AoOs even if the opponent knows you will provoke one and where you are). This said, if your enemy is large, and you are small (or any combination where your size difference is less than 3 categories) you cant enter the enemies square without a special action without the DM saying otherwise (as doing so is illegal movement). Situations where you COULD enter an enemies square - 3 size categories of difference, enemy is helpless (or you are helpless and your body could possibly be moved to the location), overrun attempt, other special abilities which explicitly state you enter the opponent's square, tumbling, and being a tiny creature. There are creatures which do not allow you to enter their squares despite the above named situations - these monsters are likely to fill the entire square and require DM permission to use any of the above abilities (with a house ruling).

22. - Top - End - #982
    Orc in the Playground

Question Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXVI

Q459: What happens when a druid is Wildshaped and her Con is drained? Is the drain subtracted from her original Con or will she recover when she turns back to her original form? Or something else?
    Last edited by Dr. Azkur; 2014-04-10 at 01:35 PM.
    I may or may not go by 'Doc'.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    All liches have phylacteries, but not all phylacteries have liches.

23. - Top - End - #983

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Azkur View Post
    Q459: What happens when a druid is Wildshaped and her Con is drained?
    A 459 If the Druid's Con score reaches 0, the druid dies (and his/her original form appears). If you are asking what happens if the druid was to go unconscious by the con drain, by RAW, even if the druid was to fall unconscious due to a lower Con dropping the HP to negatives, the wild shape would still be active.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 460

Is the "regular move" mentioned in the rules for drawing a weapon defined anywhere? Is there a rule saying a 5 ft step is not a regular move?

25. - Top - End - #985
    Orc in the Playground

Q459 Rephrase: What happens when a a druid receives Con damage or drain while Wildshaped and she turns back to her original form?

Example:
    Gigi the Druid, who has Con 12, wildshapes into an Elephant, who has Con 21 and uses this new value. While trotting around the haunted lake she is attacked by a pack of 11 Wraiths and has her Con drained by 4. Luckily Gigi manages to escape, but while running through the forest someone shoots a poisoned dart and receives 2 Con damage points, by mightily failing the saving throw. Her Con is now at 15.

Hours later, and safe at her camp, she turns back to her original shape. At what value is her Con now?
    I may or may not go by 'Doc'.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    All liches have phylacteries, but not all phylacteries have liches.

26. - Top - End - #986

AssassinGuy

Q 460
    Is the "regular move" mentioned in the rules for drawing a weapon defined anywhere? Is there a rule saying a 5 ft step is not a regular move?
    A 460 A regular move is a normal move action. A 5 ft step is regarded as a no action in the miscellaneous actions section of combat actions, it is not a regular move.

27. - Top - End - #987

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Azkur View Post
    Q459 Rephrase: What happens when a a druid receives Con damage or drain while Wildshaped and she turns back to her original form?

Example:
    Gigi the Druid, who has Con 12, wildshapes into an Elephant, who has Con 21 and uses this new value. While trotting around the haunted lake she is attacked by a pack of 11 Wraiths and has her Con drained by 4. Luckily Gigi manages to escape, but while running through the forest someone shoots a poisoned dart and receives 2 Con damage points, by mightily failing the saving throw. Her Con is now at 15.

Hours later, and safe at her camp, she turns back to her original shape. At what value is her Con now?
    A 459 Revisited The Con score would be lowered by the same amount raised by the wild shape, in this case her con score would lower down to 6, and if she had low enough HP she is in danger of dying.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Ettin in the Playground

A 460 Request for clarification

Quote Originally Posted by NoACWarrior View Post
    A 460 A regular move is a normal move action.
    Please back that up with a quote from the rules. I'm sure that is the intention of the phrase regular move, but a 5 ft step is still a move and since moving 5 ft is allowed and even has additional rules it is obviously regular i.e. according to the rules.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ogre in the Playground

Q461

How do I determine the levels at which a paladin's mount is eligible to take its own feats, if ever?

Example: a level 6 paladin has a celestial unicorn mount (via selecting an alternate mount and taking the planar paladin substitution level from the Planar Handbook). If that character continues advancing in paladin from 7 to 20, at which of those levels would the unicorn's advancement result in a feat selection? I tried to find the rules on this but kept getting lost in details about cohort mounts and the Leadership feat.

Thanks!

30. - Top - End - #990
    Titan in the Playground

A 456 continued:
    There is a popular variant for the swordsage called the unarmed swordsage, found in the "adaptation" section of the class, which gains the unarmed strike ability of a monk (which includes the Improved Unarmed Strike feat). This is not a result of the class's Discipline Focus ability, but a separate ability (though an unarmed swordsage might do well to choose a discipline for Discipline Focus that includes the unarmed strike).

A 457 continued:
    Oriental Adventures makes it clear that Iaijutsu Focus can be used with unarmed strikes, since it says that this is the method used by martial artists to break boards bare-handed. It does not, however, make clear how this is reconciled with the requirement to draw a weapon. The simplest (though not necessarily correct) interpretation would be that for unarmed strikes, the requirement to draw the weapon is waived.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics