New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
    Default Finished webcomics worth a read

Just as the title says, I'm interested in finding webcomics that have already ended (being on an indefinite hiatus doesn't count), but are worth a recommendation. They don't have to be the best of the best, but something you'd like to recommed to people.

Kid Radd
    http://www.bgreco.net/kidradd.htm
    A pseudo-animated sprite webcomic. The characters are video game characters from fictional-but-familiar retro games. The sprites are often animated, usually in some small way, but every now and then there are animated fight scenes or something of that sort. It starts off slowly, and most updates end on a quip of some sort. It slowly picks up pace, and a plot, as things go on.

Inverloch
    http://inverloch.seraph-inn.com/viewcomic.php
    Fantasy adventure comic with nice art and an actual plot. Unlike so many other webcomics, this was a full story from the beginning, with a proper beginning and a proper ending. Nice writing and art, much better than most webcomics and comparable to published comics.

Phoenix Requiem
    http://requiem.seraph-inn.com/
    From the creator of Inverloch. A dark fantasy about a world that lost its magic, and about a female physician befriending her mysterious patient.

Dreamless
    http://dreamless.keenspot.com/
    Again, from the creator of the previous two comics. It's about a young girl who doesn't dream. When she sleeps, she shares the life of a young Japanese boy, learning to know him, his family and his language. For the boy it's the same. They grow up, think they're in love, want to see each other... but it's 1940s.

Nodwick
    http://comic.nodwick.com/?p=536
    An episodic humour-fantasy story. It starts as comic strips, then graduates to comic albums of whole pages. The party of a fighter, a wizard and a cleric hire the titular Nodwick as their henchman, to carry their loot. Or at least, that's what the two others told the cleric, so she would agree on them having a slave who can do everything a ten-feet pole, a trap detector, an anchor, a mule and a packhorse can.
    The comic parodies D&D, sadistic players, evil characters, good characters, various other pieces of fiction, pretty much anything the author could think of. It's mostly episodic, but some earlier stuff gets referred to from time to time, and it does have a final arc that finishes it all off.

That's all I can think of right now.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Finished webcomics worth a read

One that immediately comes to mind is:

Digger
    http://diggercomic.com/

A comic about a very sensible wombat who is thrown into an epic saga involving a statue of a god, a baby shadow demon, hyenas, and much more. A solid, entertaining, well-written story throughout.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

minus

Anthony Fremont from the Twilight Zone as a fairly innocent little girl, basically. Creepy, heartwarming, and really, really beautifully drawn. Probably my favorite webcomic ever.

Freakangels

Steampunk post-apocalyptic Midwich Cuckoos! It's by Warren Ellis and is kind of a traditional comic presented as a webcomic. Quite good, but obviously very Warren Ellis-y.

I would recommend Scary Go Round, but I can find absolutely no trace of it on the author's site, which is a total shame.
    Last edited by Mr.Bookworm; 2013-08-21 at 02:30 PM.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    I would recommend Scary Go Round, but I can find absolutely no trace of it on the author's site, which is a total shame.
    http://scarygoround.com/sgr/

I was already familiar with both minus. and Digger, they're both great.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

1/0
    It starts not very promising, but unfolds into something really, really interesting and really, really meta. Quite a lot of the plot comes from the fact, that the characters know they are characters in a comic strip and converse with the author. Just don't expect good art from this one.

Daisy Owl is worth reading, but it ended ubruptly without proper closure.

Ozzy and Millie doesn't have much of an overarching plot, but it does have good humor well mixed with bits and pieces of philosophy and other such things.

DM of the Rings is a retelling of the Lord of the Rings as an RPG campaign. The author really caught the spirit of a gaming group well. Strongly recommended.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

i suggest having a look at this thread.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fion MacCumhail View Post
    i suggest having a look at this thread.
    That thread has random stuff and no links, for the most part. Also no descriptions. While it was nice, I think this thread will be better if someone is looking for a new story to read. It did remind me of something word recommending though:

Here are two finished webcomics from Evan Dahm.
    Rice Boy is a weird fantasy adventure in a weird world where an armless blob of a boy is asked to fulfill a prophesy. The art style is rather unique, but awesome.
    The Order of Tales is a story set in the same world, featuring some characters from the other story. It has a different tone, slightly more serious and a bit more bleak.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Inverloch is great. It's a really well done visual novel with some really clever twists. People lie and you know they lie, but you just don't have any idea why they would do that. And it's not a simple "find the villains lair and kill him" plot or "stop the villains evil plan". It's all about being sly and clever. One of my favorite fantasy stories.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

YU+ME: dream. it is abut a high school girl who falls in love with another girl, and to say anything else would probably constitute spoilers. Comes in two parts, with vastly different styles and focuses for each.

Crimson Dark. Little heroes in a big war, set in space (you never see the heroes land on a planet outside of flashbacks). Reminiscent of Firefly, and ended just as early, but has a definite ending.

Early Walkyverse. Soap opera levels of silly at times, has a lot of bumps in early years, and takes a lot of rereading to really follow, but well worth the read as two separate coming of age stories.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Have read and enjoyed Nodwick (man, that takes me back), Digger and DM of the Rings. +1 to all 3!

I guess I could mention that FF1 comic (consults google) oh right, 8-bit theatre! YMMV but it certainly has its moments. Buck Godot certainly gets a mention, it finished updating on the Girl Genius website a while ago.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I really enjoyed Darken, typical D&D-inspired fantasy adventure webcomic with villain protagonists.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If you like 40K and don't mind it being from 2009ish then I recommend Turn Signals On A Land Raider, http://tsoalr.com/ Pretty fun, with 667 strips (so it isn't evil). It follows the misadventures of two marine models, such as their desire to be painted and dealing with rule changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Live by the Tropes, die by the Tropes.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I'd have to recommend A Miracle of Science, it's got a grizzled detective and his perky sidekick hunting a mad scientist in the spacefuture.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Two video game themed ones:

8 Bit Theater
    Kind of surprised it wasn't mentioned yet. A sprite comic retelling of the first FInal Fantasy game if the heroes were... well, worse than your average D&D group. The worst of humanity (and elvity) set out to save the world. Or destroy it, whatever comes first.
    The humor is rather crude and not everyone's taste but a lot of people I think have enjoyed it.

The Last Days of Foxhound
    Exactly what it says on the tin, the comic mostly describes what the mostly a-social group of people which make up the first Metal Gear Solids antagonists are up to in the time more or less just before the game starts. As above, the people are not really cut out to be heroes but here they are pretty straight out villains anyway.
    The author tries to come up with his own version of the crazy background story mostly revealed in part three and four of the series but as with any sane person, really misses the mark. It's still a very enjoyable read, even if the humor is it times crude, again.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Space Trawler
    Well, it's at the end of the comic.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Been a while since I've read it, but I remember A Modest Destiny over at www.squidi.net to be pretty entertaining. The other comics just sorta fizzled out and died, but as I recall that one wrapped up pretty tidily.
    Last edited by Kid Jake; 2013-08-22 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    1/0
    It starts not very promising, but unfolds into something really, really interesting and really, really meta. Quite a lot of the plot comes from the fact, that the characters know they are characters in a comic strip and converse with the author. Just don't expect good art from this one.

DM of the Rings is a retelling of the Lord of the Rings as an RPG campaign. The author really caught the spirit of a gaming group well. Strongly recommended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    8 Bit Theater
    Kind of surprised it wasn't mentioned yet. A sprite comic retelling of the first FInal Fantasy game if the heroes were... well, worse than your average D&D group. The worst of humanity (and elvity) set out to save the world. Or destroy it, whatever comes first.
    The humor is rather crude and not everyone's taste but a lot of people I think have enjoyed it.
    I second all three of these.

1/0– I describe it as almost being philosophical, and just exploring what would happen if there was no fourth wall.

DM of the Rings– Behold, Edoras! ... On second thought, let's not go there. It is a silly place.

8-Bit Theater– All I will say is this. It contains the longest brick joke I've ever seen
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Angel Moxie (http://www.venisproductions.com/angelmoxie/index.php) is a nice take on the Mahou Shoujo genre. I recommend it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

The artwork might be not for everyone, but I quite enjoyed Casey and Andy. It's a humor comic about two mad scientists who keeps dying again and again. Episodic gag comic with occasional story arc. The artwork get a bit better later, but not too much. Ends at strip 666, exactly as the author planned.

http://www.galactanet.com/comic/view.php?strip=1
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

There is, of course, Irregular Webcomic, which concluded not that long ago. It's kind of like if XKCD had storylines. Multiple different ones. But with pictures of Legos or miniatures instead of stick figures. Also, different.

Ever since the comic ended, the author's been doing these big blocks of text about... you know, science 'n' stuff... every Sunday. They're really quite interesting, but not really webcomicky.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2013-08-25 at 10:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darius123 View Post
    One that immediately comes to mind is:

Digger
    http://diggercomic.com/

A comic about a very sensible wombat who is thrown into an epic saga involving a statue of a god, a baby shadow demon, hyenas, and much more. A solid, entertaining, well-written story throughout.
    That sounds... fun. I'll have to give it a read sometime.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I'll second Digger, 1/0, Rice Boy, 8-bit Theater, A Miracle of Science, and DM of the Rings, and throw in a mention of Narbonic, a comedy about mad scientists and their interns/minions/experimental subjects.
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2013-08-27 at 05:27 AM.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

23. - Top - End - #23

Buck Godot and MythAdventures (Girl Genius is still ongoing, What's New is not really interesting)

I rather liked Mixed Myth all those years ago.

I think all others I'd recommend either are still ongoing, have already been linked to, or have entirely disappeared off the Internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

24. - Top - End - #24

Griffon

Starslip was one of the first webcomics that I ever read that 'ended'. Good, solid, sci-fi wackiness that kinda fizzled out towards the end, but was otherwise entertaining.

And of course, the irrepressible Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire.
    If you have any interest at all in writing, drawing or otherwise seeing what a one-strip per day webcomic from start to finish, over the course of a decade, ought NOT to do.... Read DD: OfH.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    What's New is not really interesting
    beg to differ.

26. - Top - End - #26

If you used to read them back in the days in the magazine, then yeah, for nostalgia's sake. On the other hand, if you didn't...
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Demonology 101 was pretty much the big 'finished' webcomic back in the day*. Teen-ish, but not too bad.

I'm trying to remember some others that haven't been mentioned already, but most of the ones I remember didn't so much 'end' as 'die, and then generally vanish from the face of the internet'.

Also second 8-bit, Riceboy, Miracle of Science, Inverloch, DM of the Rings and Freakangels. Actually, I don't think there's much in the thread you'd be better off avoiding (aside from Dominic Deegan, unless you're some sort of masochist).

*by which I mean 2005. Back when Miko was a new character in OOTS, Dominic Deegan sucked slightly less and xkcd was this small collection of charming graph paper doodles nobody had really heard of.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    If you used to read them back in the days in the magazine, then yeah, for nostalgia's sake. On the other hand, if you didn't...
    It is still a portion of light, inconsequential fun.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I always liked Mac Hall. Not a story-driven, fantasy-themed comic, but it IS a finished webcomic.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TroubleBrewing View Post
    I always liked Mac Hall. Not a story-driven, fantasy-themed comic, but it IS a finished webcomic.
    I sure do miss Mac Hall...the art was really good. What ever happened to the author?