New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: I need a game!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default I need a game!

So, as GiTP has proven reliable in the past, I come here to ask a question; Do you know of a game?
    The requirements of the game:
    Either RPG form, or Computer, no boardgame.
    TBS, or similar.
    Customizability of units, I'm tired of "X Beats Y, except when supported by Z" I want to change the status quo.
    Army based.

To sum it up; Risk with Units you can change the dice rolled.

Any ideas?
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: I need a game!

Computer.
    Turn Based Strategy.
    Customizable.
    Army based.

Unless you allow 'Customizable' to be fulfilled by Modding, there isn't much out there. Maybe one of these ideas will be close enough.

TinyWarz is the closest that comes to mind. It is an online browser turn-based MMO where players deploy armies and bases to planets for conquest, plunder, and or/or bragging rights. Between attachment points and commander skill distributions, and dozens of base units there is quite a lot of customization. Some min/max combinations are of course more common. The last time I played I found the game a great way to burn an hour or so of free time. Turns are time limited, with bonuses for ending turns early.

Gratuitous Tank Battles would be my next suggestion. That one is a ground force tower-defense/assault game with even more unit customization possible than TinyWarz. However, the only 'turn based' aspect is abusing the pause button to inspect the battle field and deploy new defenses/troops at your leisure. If it is anything like the forerunner, Gratuitous Space Battles, then the game is easier than average to mod allowing even more customization.

Gratuitous Space Battles is worth mentioning if 'customizable' is more important than 'turn based' or 'army.' The entire point of the game is customizing battle fleets, customizing AI target preferences, and then sitting back and watching the gratuitous eye-candy destruction. I've personally done some modding to this game, and know others in the community have done more. Like GTB this game is single player, with a built in challenge map uploading/downloading system.

Aurora, aka Aurora 4x, is the last computer game I can think to suggest. The units in this 4x game aren't just customizable, every ship is built from scratch from the ground up. The game is turn based, with 'turns' being user selectable time advance increments. However, it isn't army and the learning curve is rather steep.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe look into Crusader Kings II? I don't know if it's possible to customize units, though. Medieval: Total War II might be up your alley as well, although the first game had a rock-paper-scissors element to its units, and this one might be similar.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm new here, but I can't seem to find an RPG on this site other than EMPIRE! and it's closed to new peeps. Anyone know of a RP around I could join?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

I've got a number that hits a few of the points you were looking for there. Sword of the Stars (not the sequel, I got burned pretty hard there) is a 4x game in space that might scratch the itch you got there. As far as 4xish games go, it leans more toward warfare, but it looks like that's something you're looking for anyway. I think it's really cool because of the customization aspects, the insane random encounters, and the fact that each race is given a partially-randomized tech tree at the beginning of each game. Additionally, diferent types of FTL drives make each race actually feel quite a bit different to play (with a few exceptions). On the other hand, the game is definitely not without downsides. If you're looking for something with any multiplayer at all, don't look here--from what I can tell, there's a really small community left there. Secondly, the learning curve is quite steep and the in-game tutorial is pretty useless; if you picked it up I'd recommend hitting up the wiki, which was super helpful for me and a friend of mine who used to play it. Finally, this isn't a problem with the game but a reason that it might not be what you're looking for: while the game is turn-based, at the end of each turn all the battles happen in real time. So, there's my shameless plug/suggestion for the day. Have fun with whatever you end up picking up.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Which forum is it located under?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    Which forum is it located under?
    This is Gaming (Other), so it's directed more towards boardgames and videogames, usually videogames. Sword of the Stars is an (excellent) computer game.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes is the obvious answer here. It's got pretty deep unit customization tied to research (so you research better weapons, armor, etc, and design soldiers to use them), a complete RPG system for the hero units, and some fairly good city building/grand strategizing on top. Since weapons are distinct and have different special abilities, it's not entirely obvious that there's a best choice for all situations.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    I'm new here, but I can't seem to find an RPG on this site other than EMPIRE! and it's closed to new peeps. Anyone know of a RP around I could join?
    If you're looking for an RP, you should try going back out to the forum navigation page and scroll down til you find the "play-by-post" group of threads. Then just hit up the recruiting threads, and I'm sure you'll find something. Sorry for the confusion.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

@The Hellbug: Thanks, I'll look around there. I'm not an internet person despite being a teenager.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Not sure about Customization, but Battle For Wesnoth fits the others.

Alpha Centauri is a little old, but it fits pretty well. Then again, even for it's age, it'll still consume years of your life if you let it.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Jagged Alliance 2, although if you really want the army thing you'll probably have to get that mod somewhere in The Bear Pit that allows you to tell mobile militia to actually go attack things.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sword of the Stars, the original game, is very very solid, and CRAPLOAD of funs. Space battles at its finest.

Alpha Centauri is probably one of the single most memorable strategy game in history. Purely turn-based.

edit: I have to admit I am currently biased. As I reinstalled SOTS and am currently playing a game. Nothing funnier than seeing your brainchild ships zooming around and killing stuff.
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2014-04-17 at 04:12 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFireLance View Post
    So, as GiTP has proven reliable in the past, I come here to ask a question; Do you know of a game?
    Either RPG form, or Computer.
    TBS, or similar.
    Customizability of units
    Any ideas?
    It's not army based, but Dungeons of Dredmor fits everything else. 53 possible skill trees to choose from, and you get to pick 7 of them to make your character. Turn based combat, oodles of ways to get anything done, and very entertaining to boot (Traffic cones make valid head gear, and you can encrust your armor with meat (among other things) to get more HP).

If you're up for a challange there's always Dwarf Fortress. Its RTS with pause though. However you can make any of your dwarves into whatever you want with enough training. You also get to design elaborate deathtraps fortresses and experience lots of Fun.

There's also Battle for Wesnoth. You get to customize your army's makeup, but its more of x beats y sort of game. The RNG actively hates you though, so its quite a challange.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFireLance View Post
    Computer
    TBS
    Customizability of units
    Army based.
    Master of Orion I & II, hands down. You can design your own spaceships and improve them as you research new technologies and you fight big battles with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

If warfare is your thing, then look at Combat Mission: Red Thunder

www.battlefront.com
    I''ll stop now as I'm getting an itch in that black hole I call a conscious

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

You could give X-COM: Enemy Unknown a try. You have 4 classes + the SHIV to choose from. You can vary their load out to meet your needs. Do you take grenades, more medkits? Should I go for more survivability or more offense. Plus when the classes level up, you must pick from mutually exclusive perks. This adds another layer of customization.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

You might want to keep an eye open for The Mandate, which I think is scheduled for release next year.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    You could give X-COM: Enemy Unknown a try. You have 4 classes + the SHIV to choose from. You can vary their load out to meet your needs. Do you take grenades, more medkits? Should I go for more survivability or more offense. Plus when the classes level up, you must pick from mutually exclusive perks. This adds another layer of customization.
    If you're gonna go with XCOM, get the expansion at the same time. The upgrades in the base game are a bit thin on the ground, but Enemy Within added enough to hold my interest almost all the way through. It also added upgrades that cost resources to use, which goes a long way towards making the soldiers feel important and distinct. I might have a large roster of high level soldiers, but can only afford the adaptive camo gene-mod for a couple of 'em.

On the other hand, if you really want to run dudes around shooting other dudes in a strategic sort of way, I think any one of the Jagged Alliance games are a richer choice than Enemy Within. Personally I prefer Back in Arms, because the move to detailed real-time with pause eliminates many of the tedious portions of turn-based combat, and allows/forces more nuanced and realistic tactics. No more running up and shotgunning dudes in complete safety because they aren't on Overwatch. This does tend to shift the game towards longer range combat and away from relying on special abilities to win the day. You win fights by having skilled soldiers in position to make the shots you need to make, not by activating something on a cooldown timer.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

It's Back in Action. And it takes out a lot of the strategy, it's pretty much only tactical.

Also I don't like how the portraits look.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2014-05-01 at 04:40 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Come to think of it, Fallout 1 and 2 are turn-based, and if you think of your group as a military unit (you carry around more weapons than a typical army, after all)...
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.