Spoiler
    Show

Gone like the wind.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

Quote Originally Posted by Black Socks View Post
    Everything absurd? Sounds good to me!
    Speaking of, how many players should I have if I want three neutral roles? I have 19 now.
    If I have to, I can take out the Necromancer.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Speaking of, how many players should I have if I want three neutral roles? I have 19 now.
    At least 3.

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I suggest around 25. That way you can have:
    6 Drowlbearwolves
    4 Town power roles
    4 Masons
    3 Neutrals
    and still 8 vanilla townies. Any more players would be more vanilla townies.
    Last edited by Black Socks; 2016-09-16 at 02:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gone like the wind.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd say that's too many power roles unless the neutrals are heavily wolf aligned.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    He's Fleeing Coward. The man could be a cookie-baking, cancer-stricken orphan kitten and still look like a reasonable suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I would advise people not to trust FC just on principle. Even if he's on your team, confirmed by the narrator.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Troll in the Playground

With only 19 players, so far, I'd suggest:

Seer: 1
    Fool: 1
    Vigilante/Scimitar-Chucker: 1
    Priest of Lolth: 0
    Sisterhood of the Meteor Swarm: 3
    Villager/Drow: 7 or 6 (depending on how many Neutrals you are determined to have)

Polymorphed Drowlbearwolf: 1
    Generic Drowlbearwolf: 0
    Leader of the Drowlbearwolves: 1
    Second-Fiddle of the Drowlbearwolves: 1
    Necromancer: 1
    Drider: 1

Neutrals: 1, maaaaaaybe 2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You add 6 more players, and I'd suggest this:

Priest of Lolth: 1
    Sisterhood of the Meteor Swarm: 3
    Villager/Drow: 10

Generic Drowlbearwolf: 1

Neutrals: 2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But I don't see you having three Neutrals unless you get another 11 players (30 total).

Priest of Lolth: 1
    Sisterhood of the Meteor Swarm: 4
    Villager/Drow: 12

Generic Drowlbearwolf: 2

Neutrals: 3

But this is my take on things. Perhaps someone has a better lineup?

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Barbarian in the Playground

Okay, so I developed my own Mafia system a while back for another forum that I frequent, but hardly anyone ever goes on MG Comics forum nowadays, so... yeah. Needed a more active forum that enjoys doing this kinda thing in order to narrate it.

Anyway, the game comes complete with some standard variants, an adaptation of the famous "Who Is Kira?" mafia variant from the MG (A game of Mafia with a DEATHNOTE theme, and only 1 maybe 2 killers), and achievements that players can earn (Yes, I do have a working achievement system for this game). Since the base game has some RPG mechanics to it, I went ahead and posted the original rules in the homebrew forum...

Its sort of in this weird middle ground between being your typical Mafia/WW type game and an RP game, so I wasn't really sure what to do with it.

Either way, the game needs a better name than the current one of Mafia: The Roleplaying Game, especially since there are other games being run that have similar names and concepts.

Also, critiques and suggestions with regards to balance, variants, setup, etc would be helpful.

My ultimate goal is to be able to run several Rounds (different variants each game) and thread (pun intended) them all together into a cohesive storyline culminating in either a round of "Who is Kira?" , or a special round that pits all of the different factions against each other for one climatic showdown... If I can get enough people together for that final round, ofc.

Although I kinda want to start off with the Classic variant, I am itching to do Who is Kira? ...since its the version that started it all for me.

Can anyone help me?
    Last edited by Durzan; 2017-01-26 at 06:30 PM.
    Wheel of Time 3.5e Homebrew
    My Original D20 System: Forgotten Prophecies RPG

When it comes to GMing, World-Building is one of the things that I do best, provided I have friends to bounce ideas off of.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Troll in the Playground

Since it seems The Pub has been emptied, perhaps someone in Central can help you?

Otherwise, I would be willing to offer my advice... but I'm not sure what help you are asking for.

9. - Top - End - #1239

Well, a better name for the Base Game might be a good start... Mafia RPG just seems a tad off... although it is a decent description of whats going on. Your playing Mafia in a RPing format.

When it comes to GMing, World-Building is one of the things that I do best, provided I have friends to bounce ideas off of.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Troll in the Playground

How about:

The Case of the Golden Monkeys, a Mafia RPG.

(It doesn't have to be The Case of the Golden Monkey, of course. Just giving it something interesting sounding, to get people wondering what it could be about. Is this a choose-your-own-adventure game?)

11. - Top - End - #1241

It's kinda hard to describe. Essentially it's just Mafia or WW... but altered so that is a tad bit of randomness, and a better focus on roleplaying.

Players are given a role and a faction as normal, but there isn't a traditional day or night phase. Instead gameplay is tracked by weeks, and each week is divided into an Action phase (Days 1-5) and a voting phase (Days 5-7).

During the action phase, players can investigate other players or the most recent crime scene looking for clues, discuss the situation in the game thread, Post messages to the thread anonymously, Attempt to kill other players (highly risky, but if successful, can speed up game play immensely), attempt to interrogate/torture other players for information, and perform role specific actions... and all this to further the win conditions of their faction or role.

The success or failure of most actions are determined me. Whenever someone PMs me an action I secretly roll a D20 and use the result to determine success or failure. Some roles have modifiers to certain actions, or sometimes a player's previous actions will add modifiers to the roll as well.

During the voting phase, players publicly vote to lynch someone, and most anti-town factions secretly get a vote as well... usually on who gets offed at the start of the next week (these "kill votes" as i call them need no die roll, but can be protected against by certain roles special abilities), but some factions like the cult faction, can convert players to fill their ranks instead. Some roles have abilities that can only be used during the voting phase, such as the doctor, who can only choose while to protect during the next week during this phase.

Roleplaying is ofc a big part of this game as well. Would be killers (Wether they are Mafia, Triad, an over zealous town member, or a neutral killer, Kira, or something else) are required to write out the murder or death scenario and send it to me so that I may post it anonymously. How the post is written can be used as a clue to determine the perpretrator. Players are highly encouraged to assume an alias during the game and to at least try to remain in character as well.

Each game tells a story on top of the traditional mafia game, and the results of each game will affect what happens in the next game.

of course...Reading through the rules would give a more apt understanding...

The Who is Kira game is a variant of Mafia RPG... IE it uses the Mafia RPG rules as a foundation, but adds its own faction and roles, and alters gameplay accordingly, and thus it counts as a Mafia RPG game. What happens in WIK will effect further games down the road, even if they use a different variant.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

So, i've been working on an idea, nothing written down yet for a WW game. For anyone who remembers my Vampire ww game it'll be oWoD themed again, but this time I want to try my hand at Werewolves in the WoD style.

It was so very long ago that I ran that, no idea if anyone remembers it.

Edit: Quick brainstorm in place

The game would use a 3v1 starting group, for good guys VS Bad guys.

Each good guy would get a Tribe and Auspice with goals besides removing the bad guys assigned to some of them, and night roles connected to them as well. There would be 13 possible tribes, and 5 auspices to create a lot role combinations, making it harder to figure out who is who based on information.

Each bad guy will only have one role, but will also get a list of all the other bad guys.

The roles I have made up so far are:

Auspice:
    Ahroune: A werewolf born under a full moon. You may choose to night kill once per game, however if you kill a good guy you will also die.
    Ragabash: A werewolf born under a new moon. You may choose a night where you are immune to night kills, you may do this only twice per game.
    Theurge: A werewolf born under a crescent moon. Effectively Seer but have to choose to see either Auspice or Tribe, if they look at a Bad Guy they will only know if they are bad, not their role.
    Philodox: A werewolf born under a half moon. Baners but only works 3 times.
    Gilliards: A werewolf born under Gibbous Moon. They may choose to reveal themselves in the night before the day phase. If they do, they get to double their votes for the rest of the game, but cannot be protected at the night phase.

13 Tribes:
    Get of Fenris - You may night kill one person. If you night kill a bad guy, you win.
    Glass Walker - Once per game, you may bring someone back from the dead for one day/night cycle, they may use their abilities and talk as if they are still in the game, then they die. You win if while they are back, a bad guy is lynched.
    Silent Striders - You cannot be night killed. All lynch votes towards you count double.
    Red Talons - 1in5 people will be given the 'Homid' trait, you win even if you are killed or lynched if all the Homids are killed or lynched before you.
    Wendigo - You are given 1in4 names, one is a bad guy, the others are good guys. You may night kill one of them, you win if the night kill is a bad guy.
    Black Furies - You will be given 2 names both good guys. If either is killed, you die the following night.
    Silver Fangs - Your vote counts for 2 votes unless you are voting with a Shadow Lord. You win if all the Shadow Lords are killed.
    Children of Gaia - You may choose one person who's vote doesn't count the next day. You win if there is no vote different from yours on any lynch vote.
    Fianna - Any night you are not Gilliard, you may change your Auspice to Gilliard and imminently reveal yourself.
    Uktena - You may choose to switch the night actions of two targets. If the switch results in a night kill, you win.
    Shadow Lords - Everyone you do not vote for has one vote against them. You will be given the name of one random good guy, if that good guy is lynched you win.
    Star Gazers - You may not use your Auspice on even numbered nights. On even numbered nights you gain the powers of one random Auspice that isn't yours.
    Bone Gnawers - You are given the name of 1 bad guy at start of game. You win if this bad guy is the last one killed. (Okay, you win twice.)

If a tribal win condition is met, the game continues.
    Bad Guys
    Black Spiral Dancer - You gain an auspice and know the other bad guys.
    Pentex - You may recruit every 3rd night. The recruited player becomes a Black Spiral Dancer, you know the other bad guys.
    The Wyrm - You know only the Black Spiral Dancers. You may choose a target to night kill each night. There will only ever be one Wyrm.
    Last edited by Lady Tialait; 2017-03-03 at 12:25 AM.

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Troll in the Playground

Oooh. A Werewolf: the Apocalypse WW game.

How many players are you hoping to recruit for this game?

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I have it set up where it needs at least 5, but can support as many as I can get.

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

15. - Top - End - #1245

Time? To play games? What's that?

Oh, looks like I'm actually about to have some. Huzzah!

Game idea: BANG!
    A "werewolf" game for a small group. No nightkills, lynches (kinda), or powerroles (yet?).
    Let's have an example. The turn order is player A, then B, C, D, E, and finally player F.
    Each player, in order, decides who to point their gun at.
    A points at C.
    B points at A.
    C points at E.
    D points at F.
    E points at A. BANG!
    A, C, and E were in a circle, all pointing at each other, so they all fired, and all died. They were all Pardners.
    B and D put their guns down.
    F points at D.
    B points at F.
    D points at F. BANG!
    D and F were in a circle, so they shoot. B is the only survivor. F was the only Lawless, so the Pardners win!
    --
    The Lawless know each other and decide what the starting turn order is. They want to eliminate the Pardners at any cost--if everyone dies, they still win. The pardners must eliminate the Lawless with at least one survivor.

I like this method of "lynching" for how personal and important the points are. However, to ensure regular activity for everyone, it only works in small groups--I was thinking of an 11 player game with 3 lawless.

Interest? Ideas?

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

16. - Top - End - #1246

Why would a pardner ever point their gun without rock solid evidence? Bc if you don't point you don't get killed. Also I feel like the circles would never get closed, since the last person would never point to another in the loop as they don't want to die. Maybe maybe voting private?

Extended Sig

Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

17. - Top - End - #1247

Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Why would a pardner ever point their gun without rock solid evidence? Bc if you don't point you don't get killed. Also I feel like the circles would never get closed, since the last person would never point to another in the loop as they don't want to die. Maybe maybe voting private?
    When it is your turn in order you must point (or you point at yourself and immediately die)

A mathematical property of the pointing, is that once everybody is pointing, it is guaranteed that there is a loop somewhere. I.e. the only way for it to get to the last person without forming a loop yet is if everyone is either pointing at them or pointing at someone who ultimately is pointing at them--no matter who they choose, they die. But did the Lawless set them up for this to happen?

But yes. In this game, people don't just die. They choose to go out with a BANG!

--(A few days later)--

I like the idea however--this would allow the game to scale to any number of players without taking forever. This version could be more easily used in other, larger forms of werewolf. Games with every-night nightkill wouldn't tolerate such a variable number of lynches, but you could use it as a sort of "nomination" phase that narrows the candidates down to a few people. This nomination phase could then be subject to more shenanigans than the typical lynch, with nomination-baners and forced nominations and such. You could save time by performing nominations at night; this would have some risk of one of the two nominated people dying at night, so I would add a rule that in such a case, the most pointed-at person is also nominated. In theory this would be anti-town, as it reduces their flexibility, but probably not more anti-town than a "25% majority rule"; further, the extra information may be helpful, and it would have a similar impact of concentrating lynch votes. An odd side-effect of nightly nomination would be that any scried wolves would last a day longer than normal.

On the aspect of survival instinct, I've considered giving everyone two lives. However I would probably run this as one-life just to see how that goes, first, as two lives means twice as long of a game.
    Last edited by Saposhiente; 2017-03-14 at 03:33 AM.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saposhiente View Post
    Time? To play games? What's that?

Oh, looks like I'm actually about to have some. Huzzah!

Game idea: BANG!
    A "werewolf" game for a small group. No nightkills, lynches (kinda), or powerroles (yet?).
    Let's have an example. The turn order is player A, then B, C, D, E, and finally player F.
    Each player, in order, decides who to point their gun at.
    A points at C.
    B points at A.
    C points at E.
    D points at F.
    E points at A. BANG!
    A, C, and E were in a circle, all pointing at each other, so they all fired, and all died. They were all Pardners.
    B and D put their guns down.
    F points at D.
    B points at F.
    D points at F. BANG!
    D and F were in a circle, so they shoot. B is the only survivor. F was the only Lawless, so the Pardners win!
    --
    The Lawless know each other and decide what the starting turn order is. They want to eliminate the Pardners at any cost--if everyone dies, they still win. The pardners must eliminate the Lawless with at least one survivor.

I like this method of "lynching" for how personal and important the points are. However, to ensure regular activity for everyone, it only works in small groups--I was thinking of an 11 player game with 3 lawless.

Interest? Ideas?
    It does sound interesting Sapo. At the very least, I will playtest it with you. I assume the players must publicly announce who they are pointing at, and they must only obey the turn order? Not sure why turn order is required though. And it seems likely that there will be a few "cat's games" initially. But we can work out any bugs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hey, just giving a heads up about my travel plans. I'm travelling starting tomorrow, will try to stay connected.
    Internet access is consistent now, but I'm about 17 hours ahead of PST these days.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Troll in the Playground

Combination of re-watching Les Misérables and being in the Mafia spectator chat made these happen:

Do You Hear the Townies Sing

Do you hear the townies sing
    singing the song of angry men
    It is the music of the VTs
    who will not be lynched again
    With the pointing of your votes
    Targeted straight upon the scum
    Narrator writes an end-game post
    when the evening comes

Will you join in on the mission
    Who'll be sharp and stand with me?
    Beyond the foolish WIFOM
    There's a wolf that we must see
    Then string up that beast
    We will have our feast and be free!

when the evening comes

Will you give all you can give
    So analysis can unfold
    Some will die and some will live
    Will you stop lurking and be bold
    The blood of the nightkills
    Will forge us a future of gold!

when the evening comes

Do You Wanna Build a Scumlynch?

Do you wanna build a scumlynch?
    Come on let's go and play
    I never see your handiwork
    Come off your lurk
    It's like you're afk
    We used to be town buddies
    and now we're not
    I wish you would tell me why
    It doesn't have to be a scumlynch.

Go away, VT

Okay, bye...

Or ride our train to stir the posts?
    I think some bandwagons are overdue
    I've started talking to
    the lurkers and the hosts.
    (Hang in there, buddy)
    It gets a little lonely
    All these empty threads
    Just watching the hours tick by
    (Tic-Tock, Tic-Tock, Tic-Tock, Tic-Tock, Tic-Tock)

Townies?
    Please, I know you're still there
    The scum are steering us, I've seen
    They say "have courage" and I'm trying to
    I'm right out here for you, just vote with me
    We only have each other
    It's just us and the scum
    What are you gonna do?

Last edited by Murska; 2017-05-29 at 08:20 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

21. - Top - End - #1251

NecromancerGirl

Raises slowly from the dead shuffling around a bit before taking a seat smiling, as bits of her fall off and she waves to old and new faces,

Hi all~
    I am alive!

It has been a very very long time.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello! Nice to meet you.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity702 View Post
    Raises slowly from the dead shuffling around a bit before taking a seat smiling, as bits of her fall off and she waves to old and new faces,

Hi all~
    Wow. It's been a while. :)
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

24. - Top - End - #1254

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity702 View Post

Hi all~
    Welcome back. You must've been gone for a while, I've been here for years and don't remember you.

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #1255

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Wow. It's been a while. :)
    It really has! How are you murska? won many more ww games single handily?

Yeah it has been I took a long break due to life getting crappy and just overall bleh but I return kinda, mainly going ot lurk for a bit and see if I can keep up with things
    I am alive!

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Troll in the Playground

I've been way less active for the past couple years myself. Just, life. You know.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1257

NecromancerGirl

I sure do know I really missed everyone just was so busy with life just couldnt do things
    I am alive!

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ogre in the Playground

Good luck keeping up~ Always nice to see people back.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Troll in the Playground

Wait! Sanity left before some of you got here? I hadn't realized it'd been that long.

*Hugs Sanity*

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Titan in the Playground

You must have known that I've never seen Sanity.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2017-06-02 at 05:20 PM.